Never Giving Up {Cashby & Kel...

By Captain_Cashby

Sequel to The Broken Generation and Collab w/ @KellicXxForever Sometimes things don't work out the way you p... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13**
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20**
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24**
Chapter 25
Chapter 26**
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 (FINAL)
Epilogue
LAST BOOK

Prologue

2K 100 103
By Captain_Cashby

Vic's POV

I woke up smiling and pulling Kellin a little bit closer to me. He was still fast asleep and looked absolutely adorable. I looked over at the clock on the bedside table. I had to get up soon. But I didn't want to get up or wake Kellin up.

But I knew I had to.

"Kells."

"Five more minutes." He muttered rolling over.

"I can't baby, I have to get up and so do you."

"No I don't." He whined.

"Well then I'm leaving soon."

"No! Don't leave." He said holding on to me, "Take the day off."

"I can't. I have to go in today."

"Why?"

"Remember my patient, Jonathan."

"What does he have to do with any of this?" He asked.

"I have to do some major tests on him today and I have to be there. I'm the only doctor he trusts."

"Yeah well Jonathan fucking sucks." He muttered and started to pout.

"He's thirteen babe."

"And?"

"Kellin I have to go." I said getting out of bed, or at least I attempted to.

"No." He mumbled holding my arm.

"Kells I really have to get ready."

"Fine, but next time you want something from me you better remember this because I'm going to tell you no."

I smirked, "Okay fine wanna take a shower with me?"

He glared at me, "The time after this but otherwise its a no."

"Sure it is." I said rolling my eyes, "Now get up."

He groaned but got up anyways and dragged me to the shower.

I ended up being about twenty minutes late to work but it was totally worth it, morning sex is the absolute best thing ever.

"That was fun." I told him shutting the water off.

"Tons of fun."

"Now I have to go to work." I told him wrapping a towel around my waist.

"And I have to sit around dying of boredom for the rest of the day." He mumbled.

"Call Alan or something."

"Maybe, I think he has work. Why do all of the fun people have to work?" He whined as we headed back to our room.

"You're the one who didn't want to have to work." I reminded him.

"So. I'll figure something out."

"You could make me something to eat while I get ready."

"Remember last time you said that? We had to call the fire department." He said.

"Right. I'll just pick something up on the way."

"Good idea. Now hurry up you're already late."

"Yeah I know."

The two of us finished getting dressed and soon Kellin was walking me to the door.

"Be careful, don't accidentally kill anyone and save lives." He said before kissing me.

"You got it baby." I said and kissed him again, "Remember, no parties and now burning the house down."

"Yes, yes I know." He said and started pushing me out the door, "No go! You're going to get in trouble again!"

"Okay I'm going- just give me one more kiss." I said and Kellin rolled his eyes and kissed my cheek.

"There now go."

"I'm going, I'm going." I said and kissed him one last time, "I love you and I'll see you later." I told him and hurried to the car. I drove quickly to work as fast as I could so I wasn't any later then I already was. Once I got there I immediately clocked in and went to see my first patient for the day. Jonathan he has a congenital heart defect and it's wound up making his heart fail on him. As sad as it is he doesn't have long to live.

"Hey kiddo." I said walking into his room.

"Hey Vic." He said smiling.

"How are you feeling today?"

He shrugged, "A little better than yesterday."

"That's good. Any pain?"

"Just a little, a nurse gave me some medicine like an hour ago." He told me and I nodded.

"Okay, okay." I said grabbing his chart and writing a few things down, "I'll be back in about ten minutes okay?"

"What for?"

"I have to go talk with your mom about something."

"Oh okay." He said and went back to playing on his phone. I left his room and went out to the waiting room for his mom.

"Ms. Robertson." She looked up and stood.

"Dr. Fuentes."

"Can I talk with you for a moment?"

"Oh of course."

"Okay well follow me." I told her and went down the hall so that we could talk in private.

"What is it? Is Jonathan okay?"

I sighed. I never liked giving bad news, especially to parents, "I'm sorry but Jonathan isn't getting any better. He's getting worse."

"What do you mean worse? He was doing so good this morning." She said her eyes watering.

"All the medication we've tried isn't working. His heart's failing. He doesn't have much time left."

She took a shaky breath, "How much time would you say he has left?"

"About a week."

Her hands went to her mouth, "A week? The-there has to be some way. He's only thirteen!"

"There is one thing but it's risky, especially at his age."

"What is it? How risky?" She asked, "I can't lose my baby boy."

"It's a heart transplant."

"Would it work? How long would we have to wait for a heart?"

"It depends. They're not something easy to come by. Especially with a kid his age."

"Okay um let's just do it." She said, "Maybe there will be a heart before the end of the week for him." She said in a hopeful voice.

"We can only hope Ms.Robertson."

She nodded, "I-I think I'm going to go talk to Jonathan and see what he thinks."

"Would you like me with you? Or just you two to talk?"

"I think it will be best if it's just us." She said, "If you'll excuse me."

I nodded and let her walk off to his room.

"Hey Vic," One of the nurses, Martha, called.

"Yeah?"

"The tests came back for Mr. Ashby." She said. I nodded and walked up to her, last week Austin and Alan had come in because Alan had been sick or something so I ran some tests.

"Thanks Martha." I said taking the paper from her. She nodded and walked away.

I looked down reading the results and immediately pulled out my cellphone dialing Austin's number quickly.

"Hello?"

"Hey Aust I need you and Alan down here immediately." I said urgently.

"Why what's going on?" He asked panicked.

"Alan's test results came back."

"And?"

"Just get down here. Now."

"Okay, we'll be there soon." He said and hung up. Oh god how was I going to tell them this? This wasn't something I ever wanted to have to tell my best friends. I kept myself busy while I waited for them to finally show up.

"Dr. Fuentes Mr. Ashby and Mr. Carlile are here to see you." A nurse told me. I nodded and grabbed the paper before walking out to them.

"Come with me guys." I said.

"Vic what the hell is going on?" Austin asked following me with Alan at his side.

"I'll explain once we get to the room. You two will want to sit down." I told him just as I got to an empty room.

They both sat down and stood in front of them.

"Whats going on?" Alan asked before he started coughing.

I waited for his coughing spell before I started to speak, "The test results came back. I'm so sorry." I said not really sure how to tell them.

"And it's just a cold right? Why are you sorry?" He asked.

"No." I said. I just had to say it, "Alan you have lung cancer."

"What!" He yelled before he started coughing again.

Austin frowned, "That can't be right. It-it has to be wrong he can't- he can't have cancer!"

"All the test came back and you have it. I can't change that." I said, "I'm sorry."

"No, no. Vic tell me this is a joke." Austin said panicked, "This is just a joke right? H-he can't."

"I'm sorry Aust it's not a joke but, I'll refer you guys to one of the best cancer hospitals in the state. It's still early there's a good chance that he's going to make it."

"Oh my g-god." Alan said, "I'm gonna die aren't I?"

"You're not going to die Alan, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that you'll be just fine." I told him.

He looked up at me before looking at Austin, "I-I don't know what I'm gonna do."

"You're going to fight this Princess, and I will be there every step of the way." Austin said grabbing Alan's hand.

He nodded, "Can we go home or something."

"Of course, I can uh I can come by later today or tomorrow and we can talk about your options and everything." I told him.

"Yeah, bring Kellin too. I gotta tell him." He said getting up.

"I will don't worry," I said. "Come on I'll walk you out."

They didn't say anything. We walked out together in silence but stopped when Alan went into another coughing fit.

"My chest hurts." He breathed when he was done coughing.

"Just- uh just sit down." Austin said grabbing a chair.

"No, lets just go home."

"Are you sure?" I asked him, "We might end up having to bring you in for more tests."

"I just want to go home." He said and he looked like he was going to burst into tears at any moment.

"I'll see you later Als."

He nodded, "Bye Vic."

"See you later." Austin said before walking out with him.

I sighed and headed back to the nurses station to see if they had any patients for me, I was really dreading having to go over later.

Austin's POV

"Baby are you okay?" I asked parking outside of our apartment complex.

Alan shook his head,'"No, Aust what if I die?" He asked his voice cracking.

"You're gonna be okay. Everything is gonna be f-fine."

"But what if it's not! I- I'm only twenty four, I can't have cancer!"

"Baby, you're gonna get through this." I told him, "Lets go upstairs and we can just talk about this."

He didn't say anything but followed me upstairs. I unlocked the door and let him inside before shutting the door behind us.

"You know I love you right?" I said grabbing his hand.

"Yeah, I know." He said, "I love you too."

I smiled at him and kissed his cheek. "Come on let's go sit down." I said and led him to the couch.

I sat down and he sat down on my lap, resting his head on my shoulder.

"I'm scared." He whispered.

"Me too." I said kissing his head, "But we'll figure this all out."

He sighed and started coughing a little, "I really need a fucking smoke."

"No I'm throwing those all away." I said reach into his jean pockets, taking them out. "All of them are gone by tonight."

"Just one more? Please?"

"No, you're quitting. I'm not letting this get worse. I can't lose you Princess."

He sighed, "Cold turkey?"

"Cold turkey. No more, these are the reason you got can-that in the first place."

He sighed, "I really do love you."

"And I really do love you." I said, "Everything is going to be fine. Vic said he's going to get us all the help he can and he said we caught it early that means you have a good chance. You're going to win this."

"You're still gonna love me when I lose my hair right?"

"Of course, I mean I'm going to miss your gingerness but I'll never stop loving you."

"Good." He said and kissed me. I smiled and pulled away.

"I bet you'd look sexy as hell bald."

"I don't want to be bald. I'm not gonna be cute or sexy." He pouted.

"You're always going to be cute and sexy to me," I told him and kissed him again. He smiled into the kiss and kissed me a little harder. He had to pull away though when he broke out into another coughing fit.

I rubbed his back comfortingly as he coughed. He ended up getting up and running off. I quickly got up and chased after him.

"Princess? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He mumbled from the bathroom before coughing again. I pushed the door open and I saw him spitting blood into the sink, "I don't want you to see me like this Aust, get out of here."

"No, I'm going to be with you for all of it. The good and the bad."

He looked at me and smiled a little before bursting into tears. I pulled him close to me as he sobbed.

"It's going to be okay Princess, it's going to be okay." I cooed rubbing his back.

"Why m-me?"

"I don't know why?" I said.

"I-I mean haven't I- haven't I been through enough?"

"Yes baby. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"Everything is gonna be okay." I told him again and kissed his forehead.

"I hope so," He mumbled. "I think I'm going to go lay down."

"Want me to come with you?"

He nodded.

"Come on."

"Carry me?"

"Of course." I said and he jumped into my arms laying his head on my shoulder. I held his legs and walked with him to the our bedroom. I sat down on our bed with him still in my arms, "Are we laying like this?"

"Yes, I'm comfortable."

I nodded and kissed his neck softly before laying back with him on my chest. We stayed in bed until we heard someone knock on the door and then someone yelling.

"Austin! Alan!" Kellin yelled barging in.

"You should have never given him a key." I sighed.

"You gave Vic one." He said getting off me.

"Well..."

"Exactly, now come on."

"Actually he needed a key remember?" I said as we got out out of bed, "He needed somewhere to stay when he came down from Oregon you just gave one to Kellin for no reason."

"He's my best friend that's a reason."

"And Vic is mine, now come on."

He grabbed my hand and I led him out to the living room where Kellin and Vic were.

"Hey guys." Alan said smiling at them.

"Hey what is going on? Vic said there was something and he won't tell me and you weren't answering my calls either." Kellin said quickly, "So what is it?"

"Kells you should sit down for this." I said sitting down with Alan.

He sat down slowly, "What is it?"

"Kelly, I-I have-" Alan stopped and went into another coughing fit. I patted his back a little until he finally stopped, "Can you get me a glass of water?"

"Yeah, yeah." I said kissing his cheek before getting up and going to the kitchen and getting him some water. I brought it back out to him and he took a few drinks.

"Kelly, I-I have cancer." He told him his voice breaking as he said it.

"What? You're kidding right. This is some stupid joke or something?" Kellin asked.

Alan shook his head, "No its not."

"Vic! You can do something can't you? Alan you can't possibly have cancer!"

"Its early enough where he has more of a chance of surviving." Vic said, "We're going to talk about all his options today."

"Okay," I said and sat down pulling Alan onto my lap. "What are our options?"

"Well like I said we caught it early," Vic said taking a seat. "You're in stage one so the tumor isn't very big. About three centimeters."

"And what are my options?" Alan asked.

"Well there's three different surgeries that can get rid of the cancer, there's wedge resection, which is basically where we cut out the part of the lung that has the tumor and some surrounding tissue. That's usually the one doctors use when it's caught early like this was but there's a higher chance of the cancer coming back. Then there's lobectomy which is where we remove the lobe that the tumor is found in. That one you have less of a chance of getting the cancer back. And then there's pneumonectomy where the whole lung is removed but I don't suggest that one at all." He told us and ran a hand through his hair, "There's also the chemo and radiation to deal with. They will help get rid of any other cancerous cells."

"Wow, this is- this is overwhelming." He said, "I just, I need a few minutes by myself." He said getting up from my lap and walking off.

"I'm so sorry this happened." Vic said.

"It's not your fault Vic." I said.

"I know," He muttered. "How are you taking it?"

"I don't know how would you take it if your boyfriend was diagnosed with cancer?" I said, "I can't lose him."

"Vic better not have a fucking boyfriend I'll have to kick his ass." Kellin mumbled.

"I know you can't lose him Aust and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that, that doesn't happen." Vic told me, "And don't worry Kells I don't."

"I can't live without him." I said and heard him coughing from the bathroom. I stood up, "I'll be right back." I walked to the bathroom and knocked on the door, "Princess?" I waited for an answer but instead heard him coughing some more before I heard him throwing up. "Baby open the door."

"No." He said before he started coughing again.

"Come on. Please?"

"I-I don't want you to see me like this."

"Through the good and the bad remember?" There was some shuffling before I heard the lock click and Alan opened the door. I stepped in and wrapped my arms around him.

"I'm sorry." He said and pulled away grabbing his toothbrush.

"Don't say you're sorry. Its not your fault." I said wrapping arms around him from behind, "I love you."

"I love you too," He said before he started to brush his teeth once he was finished he grabbed my hand. "Come on, we still need to talk to Vic."

I nodded and kissed him softly and trailed kisses down his neck before back up to his lips again.

He pulled away and smiled, "Aust now is not the time." He said and kissed me once more before pulling me out of the bathroom.

"I know." I said stopping him, "Remember I'm here for the good and the bad."

Alan nodded, "I know you are." He said and the two of us made our way back to the living room and took a seat. "Which thing do you recommend the most?" Alan asked.

"I say you do six weeks of radiation therapy before we do anything." He told us.

"Am I gonna lose my hair?"

"No, that's with chemo and you probably won't really go through chemotherapy unless the cancer gets worse. Radiation will just make you really tired all of the time. But with it you'll have to come in once a day Monday through Friday for six weeks. It will shrink the tumor and make it easier to operate. Then you can either go through a wedge resection or lobectomy to get rid of the tumor altogether."

"So no matter what this cancer can get worse?"

"There's always a chance but like I've told you since we found it during the first stage it will be easier to get rid of."

"But it can come back? Or it could get worse? This all could be pointless and I could still fucking die."

"If the tumor does come back then we'll start you up on chemo and more radiation but you're not going to die." He told us.

"Don't say that I'm not because I could."

"Babe, you have to stay optimistic and positive about this." I told him, "You're not going to die."

"How can I stay positive knowing that this can get worse or-or I could just die. I can't handle this." He said his voice cracking, "None of this c-could work for me."

"It's going to work don't worry." I said kissing the top of his head, "You're going to be just fine."

"But what if it's not fine or okay? Then what? I lose my best friends, my boyfriend. I need a smoke but I can't have that now can I?" He snapped.

"Quit thinking about all of the what ifs. You're not going to lose any of us, we're going to stay with you every step of the way and you're going to beat this!" I told him, I was not about to just let him die. I can't lose the love of my life.

"I can't stop thinking about it all Austin."

"I know you can't." I sighed.

He groaned and got off me and started pacing the room.

"Well you know your options now, there are ways to fight it and win and that's what's going to happen." Kellin said, "Ally you can do this your most stubborn guy I know you can't just let this thing win."

"I don't fucking want this to win but what if my fucking immune system or whatever the hell fucks me over and rejects everything! Then what? I die!" He shouted before stopping and leaning against the wall holding his chest.

"Alan you need to calm down," Vic told him. "I know it's terrifying but you have to trust me, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that the cancer is gone but you have to calm down before you hurt yourself anymore. All of this panicking is not good for you and before you snap at me and say I don't understand or whatever just remember that I do in fact know what the hell I'm talking about. Now take a seat." He said in a soothing tone that I bet he uses with all of his patients.

"Oh he just gave you his doctor voice." Kellin said.

Alan took a breath and walked over to me and laid down on the couch with his head in my lap.

"There you go." He said, "Now just take a few breaths and calm yourself down."

He nodded. I smiled down at him and ran myfingers through his hair softly.

"You're going to be fine Princess don't worry." I told him, "And on the upside you don't even have to lose your hair."

He didn't say anything.

"So do we need to set up an appointment for any other tests or anything?"

Vic nodded, "Yeah we'll need to run a few more tests before we can really figure out what all we're going to do. One of the tests will be to determine what kind of lung cancer Alan has and we go from there. Although I can tell you right now just from what I've seen and his symptoms he more than likely has squamous cell carcinoma which is the most common and if that's it then we're going to do radiation and see if we can get rid of it that way and if not we'll do surgery. You'll be just fine man don't worry."

"Everythings gonna be just fine." I said, "We'll get this all figured out Princess."

Still he said nothing but shrugged.

Finally after a few minutes of Vic and I discussing everything he spoke up.

"Can we change the subject for now? Please?" He asked trying not to cry, "I can't talk about it anymore."

"Yeah, how about we go out for dinner or something." I offered.

"I don't want to leave."

"How about we order take out?" I asked, "Do you want Chinese from that little restaurant you love?"

"Please?"

"Okay, I'll go call it in." I told him and got up.

"Thank you."

"It's no problem, Vic, Kells you want the usual?" I asked. We eat from this place so much I know all of the orders by heart.

They nodded and I left the room calling in the order. Once I finished and came back I found Alan sitting up and laughing about some elaborate story that Kellin was telling.

"Anyways so yeah today I learned that I am not cut out for yoga." He said, "And it's a good thing my husband's a doctor or else I would have been screwed."

Alan shook his head, "No offense Kells but you're an idiot."

"Well you try being home all alone all day long with nothing to do! You get bored."

"Well I'm probably going to have to quit my job so I guess I can keep you company."

"Well if you do you know what that means right?"

"Oh god." Alan muttered.

"Disney marathons!"

--

A/n: So Gillis and I have decided to make a sequel to The Broken Generation and this was your little teaser. It won't actually start until we finish our current collab More Than a Fan so maybe give us about a month but then this story will start and both of us are so excited for all of the things we have in store for you. Like you thought TBG was a roller coaster but this will be even better. I hope you guys are as excited as us! Let us know what you think about this in a comment. Love you guys, Gabi & Gillis

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4M 142K 67
"I didn't ask to be this way!" "What's wrong with it?" Kegan laughed dryly, amazed by the stubbornness of the Alpha. "What's wrong with being weak...
9K 588 16
Fire and water. Two opposites that must learn how to coexist with one another. Kellin Quinn is desperate for answers. So desperate, he might just get...
3.3K 213 19
Alan Ashby never really expected his business to take off the way it did when he was a teenager. Now, at 22 years old, he's the owner of a mindblowin...
47.6K 3.7K 23
[Kellic] What if I told you that you could stop ageing, as soon as you turn 18? You can travel the world, meet new people, live life at its fullest...