A Memorable Tale

By InvisibleLantern

Neville Longbottom x Female Reader ••• The truth is a twisted thing, but at the end of the day, there is only... More

0 | Sherlock Holmes
1 | The Boy Who Had It Rough
2 | Meeting Expectations
3 | Solve???
4 | The Marauder's Map
5 | A Haywire Broom
6 | Christmas (Investigation) Break
7 | Stupid Heroes
8 | Heroism
9 | Hey Brother
10 | Weirdos Are Interesting
11 | Beware
12 | Muggle-borns
13 | Basilisk
14 | A Second Family
15 | Enemies of the Heir
16 | Out of Bed Again
17 | 50 Points for the Nonsense Adventures
18 | Pets, Creepy and All
19 | Being a Wing-Woman Sucks
20 | Care of Magical Creatures
22 | Werewolf Prejudice
23 | Werewolves Don't Like Smalltalk
24 | Page 394
25 | Peter Pettigrew
26 | Potions and a Good Night's Sleep
27 | Glorified Cleaning Supplies
28 | A 12 Year Old Rat
29 | The Marauders
30 | A Long Remembered Prank
31 | Snape Hasn't Moved On
32 | We Need More Time
33 | Another Case Cracked
34 | They Fired Our First Good Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher
35 | Tricking Muggles is Easy
36 | The World Cup
37 | My Best Friend's Dad is a Death Eater
38 | Eternal Glory and Likely Death
39 | Unforgivable Until it's a Spider
40 | He's Just a Boy
41 | Beauxbatons and Durmstrang
42 | Thestrals
43 | Big Teeth and Ferrets
44 | Dragons Are Not Meant for Fighting
45 | Dancing
46 | That Time I was (Almost) Everyone's Wingwoman
47 | If He Wanted to He Would
48 | The Yule Ball
49 | We Do Not Sing Above the Ground
50 | Merpeople Don't Sing Lullabies
51 | My Dad Had Friends
52 | The Wrong Griffin
53 | Two Aurors and a Boy with Straw Hair
54 | My Father's Brain
55 | Turning Cogs
56 | Drowning
57 | Just Talking
58 | The Past
59 | Prefect
60 | Normal
61 | Noticing
62 | Sun and Moon
63 | Army
64 | The D.A.
65 | Rebound
66 | Christmas
67 | Solve
68 | Centaurs
69 | SNEAK
70 | Dreams
71 | Healing
72 | O.W.L.s
73 | Fight
74 | The Department of Mysteries

21 | Are Werewolves Still People?

16 4 0
By InvisibleLantern

Throughout a majority of my classes, my mind couldn't forget my findings.

The Black family was known for being in Slytherin. The entirety of Draco's family was sorted into Slytherin, both is mum's side and his dad's. I had no idea that there was an exception.

I almost thought about it all day.

However, in the Defence Against the Dark Arts, you kind of have to focus.

I stared at the locked closet that didn't cease to rattle and shake as whatever was within it tried to get out.

The class flinched at every thrash it made as Professor Lupin calmly made his way past the wardrobe.

After a quite irritating class of Potions, with Draco moaning and groaning about a certainly okay arm, I didn't know if I really wanted to face whatever Professor Lupin wanted us to go against for first Defence Against the Dark Arts class of the year.

Perhaps I'd throw it at Draco and give him something real to complain about.

I was sure that he could tell that I was annoyed with him as his gaze kept unsurely flickering in my direction. He did that when I first chucked a Quaffle in his direction when I watched him play Quidditch with some other kids at a park. He says it's a look in my eye, but isn't it always?

Professor Lupin calmly walked passed the shaking wardrobe. He fashioned many scars and shabby robes that made him seem either really laid back or homeless - I'm leaning towards the latter, unfortunately.

"Intriguing, isn't it?" he said. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?"

"That's a Boggart, that is," Dean Thomas answered.

"Very good, Mr. Thomas. Now can anyone tell me what a Boggart looks like?"

"Nobody knows." Hermione suddenly appeared, giving me a start. She was definitely not next to me a moment ago. "Boggarts are shapeshifters. They take shape of whatever the person fears the most. That's what makes them so-"

"So terrifying, yes." Professor Lupin sauntered towards the closet. "Luckily, a very simple charm exists to expel a Boggart. Let's practice it now - without wands, please. Riddikulus."

"Riddikulus!"

"This class is ridiculous," Draco muttered instead of the charm.

We had never actually defended ourselves against anything in class. It was all theoretical situations, somewhat possible ones.

Was Professor Lupin about to make us go against the Boggart?

"Neville, will you join me please?"

Eyes went to the notoriously poor performance boy and I gently nudged him forward. "You've got this," I whispered.

Neville looked at Professor Lupin with big, nervous eyes.

"Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Lupin asked.

"P-Professor Snape," he stuttered, earning laughter from the class, including a soft chuckle from Professor Lupin. "Yes, he frightens all... And I believe you live with your grandmother?"

"Yeah, but I don't want that Boggart to turn into her either!"

Professor Lupin shook his head. "No, it won't turn to her. Now, I want you to picture her clothes, and only her clothes, very clearly in your mind. When I open the wardrobe, here's what I want you to do."

He got close to Neville's ear and whispered something to him, making Neville give him an unsure look.

Once he opened the closet, Snape emerged, eying each student with the same disdain he always would.

Neville hesitantly lifted his wand and chanted, "Riddikulus!"

The clothes on the Boggart suddenly turned into a gaudy hat and red handbag with a green robe of faux fur.

"Wonderful, Neville, incredible!" Professor Lupin praised.

Neville ran to me with a proud grin. "Great job!" I said.

Professor Lupin told everyone to line up so each of us could take a shot at the Boggart.

It turned into a snake, a mummy, a ginormous spider; the class took great joy in turning it into the greatest absurdities that we could think of.

When it was Harry's turn, Professor Lupin jumped in front of him, preventing the Boggart from turning to Harry's fear. Instead, it turned to a bright white ball.

"That's his fear?" Seamus mumbled, clearly unimpressed. "What's a ball gonna do to him?"

I tilted my head, seeing a transparent mist straying from the orb and disappearing.

My gaze went to Professor Lupin, eying his scars and less than adequate robes, then back to the boggart.

He chanted the charm and it turned into a balloon, darting around the room. Quickly after this, the class was dismissed.

"What a lesson!" Neville said.

"You were great." I grinned. "I've got to head to the library. Want to come?"

"Sure. I need to finish something for Divination anyway."

"Right, Divination." I tried to stifle a laugh in case Neville genuinely believed in such things. "How are the lessons?"

He gave me an unsure look. Unsure looks could mean a lot of things, whether it be that she predicted something so ridiculous that nobody believed a thing she said after that or that she predicted something so morbid that it was uncomfortable.

It seemed like it was both.

"She read that Harry was going to die... that's what the tea leaves said, anyway."

"The tea leaves?" The fact that the tea leaves were saying something was... a concern, to say the least.

Did they form words? Did they grow a mouth and speak? Were there letters within them like some disgusting alphabet soup? Who knows?

"Professor McGonagall says that she picks a student to die every year," Neville continued. "So I don't think I should worry about it."

"Maybe she's just talking about in the distant future," I said with a mocking tone, my arm out dramatically.

We turned a corner, getting closer to the library.

I entered first and Madam Pince sent a nasty glare in my direction, likely still suspecting me of being the robber of the Philosopher's Stone, even though I had religiously taken care of and returned her books.

"She doesn't scare you?" Neville whispered as I led him through the library.

"Not particularly." I reached up and picked out a book about Astronomy. "She doesn't have enough power to do much other than yell at you, and I can't see why she'd yell at me. I haven't done anything."

I sat down at one of the empty tables and Neville sat beside me. When I placed my bag on the floor, it toppled over and I heard something glass start rolling at my feet. When I looked down, I noticed the crystal ball Cedric had given me with the moon phases.

It looked remarkably like Professor Lupin's Boggart.

Once I grabbed it and put it back in my bag, I placed the book I got back on the shelf and began tracing my finger over the spines. "Hogwarts Magic Animals... Witch's Guide to Magic Creatures... Ah! Magic Creatures and Animals."

While the most uncreative title, it was especially informative, especially the year before when I was trying to figure out what creature lied within the Chamber of Secrets.

I sat down at one of the nearby table with Neville beside me, holding his quill and parchment for his essay. "Ink?" I offered, holding up a bottle.

"Thanks... forgot mine."

"It's alright."

With the fact of Professor Lupin's scars and tattered robes, along with his Boggart, I had a strange feeling twist my insides.

I flipped through the pages and stopped, finding the exact title I needed: Werewolves.

Among many different human mutants, a werewolf is one that is most known. It is not a mutation that one is born with, but a mutation that one becomes.

To become a werewolf, it is necessary to be bitten by a werewolf in their wolfish form at the time of the full moon. When the werewolf's saliva mingles with the victim's blood, contamination will occur.

The many Muggle myths and legends surrounding werewolves are, in the main, false, although some contain nuggets of truth. Silver bullets do not kill werewolves, but a mixture of powdered silver and dittany applied to a fresh bite will 'seal' the wound and prevent the victim bleeding to death (although tragic tales are told of victims who beg to be allowed to die rather than to live on as werewolves).

If a human were to live on as a werewolf, every full moon, they will transform. During this transformation, they may cause themselves as well as the people around them harm. This will likely result in their human form having abnormal scars and tattered clothing.

As a result of this transformation, the contaminated may find themselves extremely fatigued. However, they will not remember what occurred during their transformation.

To keep a werewolf at bay during their transformation, a Wolfsbane Potion may be given to them, causing them to maintain their human consciousness.

"That explains the scars and tattered clothes," I muttered.

A Wolfsbane Potion was one I had never heard of before, so it was likely not in our curriculum.

So the ball that the boggart had turned into wasn't actually a ball - it was a full moon.

"He's scared of it," I said softly, pity edging my voice. I glanced at Neville, who got half way through his essay before falling asleep, and smiled. "Nev, let's go."

"Huh? What?"

"We've got to leave the library eventually."

"Oh! Right."

•••

I returned to my dorm and placed my bag in the corner of the room. The sound of it hitting the ground made it seem like I had dropped an entire building onto the floor. "Hopefully nothing broke," I mumbled.

When I got to my bed, I noticed that Hogwarts: 1971-1972 had been turned to a different page, just like the year before. This time, however, there was a piece of parchment marking the page I had stopped on with Sirius Black.

I tilted my head, crawling to the centre of my bed to see which page it had been turned to.

It was only a couple pages after Sirius Black, with students with a last name starting with L covering the page. I scanned the page, noticing very quickly that this page had a very significant piece of the puzzle I was trying to solve without a picture to look at.

"Professor Lupin," I whispered, seeing the young boy grinning at the camera, his hand ever so often coming into frame to scratch at his scars.

His gaze was as gentle as it was now, despite such difficult conditions to live in being so young. His grin carved the smile lines that he owned now, each perfectly placed on the side of his eyes and connecting the corners of his lips and sides of his nose.

I felt awful when I saw it. When I had figured that Professor Lupin was a werewolf, my inside turned as if they were having a bad dream.

But, werewolf or not, he was still himself.

"What are you reading up on now?" Mandy questioned as she walked in, her arms above her for a stretch.

I hid the books beneath my pillow. "Nothing important."

No wonder he kept it a secret. The way I reacted to it was quite mundane; I did own three hippogriffs, after all. I couldn't imagine how other students may react to his other identity.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

729K 21.3K 93
❝ IT'S YOU, DRACO IT'S ALWAYS BEEN YOU❞ ↳ [HOGWARTS - GOLDEN TRIO] [DRACO MALFOY / SNAPE'S DAUGHTER] (s. - sep 2014) (f. - ongoing)
114K 3.1K 119
"𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬. 𝐖𝐞'𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐚�...
214K 6.1K 51
summer fling to an actual love *:・゚✧*:・゚ [ social media au ] harry potter x fem!oc © krydicaprio , 2022
49 0 3
• "and despite all we've been through, im still here until the end.." It's always been quite difficult for you to navigate your way through Hogwarts...