Thomas The Tank Engine & Frie...

By Truck-Of-Fuel

Dear readers. My name is Hunter. I am a engine driver here on The Fat Controller's railway. I'm lucky that I... More

Scottish Shower
Frederick In The Fast Lane
Alfie And Clarance
Terry Takes Up Bird Watching
Smoke And Mirrors
Fierce Gale!
Trees and Signalboxes
High Class Henry
When the fog rolled in.
James and Douglas the Movie Stars
Alfired's Flatbed Fumble
Anna's Pot
Hopper Hope
Horace And The Horse
Cat Got Your Train?
Caelen Turns Pot Hunter
Clarence Clears His Name
BoCo's Big Break
Murdoch And The Manor
Barry Sees Red
The Faulty Red Signal
Connie's Kitchen Fiasco
Daylight Robbery
Phil Goes Skating
Road Block
Bring Down The Bus Stop
Story Tellers
Broken Windows
Hot Off The Press
Ben & The Conflats
Turntable Tumble
The Cracking Crew
For Evelyn
Travis Gets Spooked
Tuna & The Flying Kipper
Busted Byron.
Bath On The Big Screen
Feeling Like A Champion.
Fern To The Rescue

Stanley and the Midnight Goods

52 1 0
By Truck-Of-Fuel

A bad batch of coal had arrived to the railway. It burnt thick and black, and would block engines tubes. It was lucky for the engines that The Fat Controller cottoned on quickly, and it was only around for a few days. But it left its mark.

The Fat Controller arrived to the sheds to find Richard in an awful state.

"Seems the bad coal took its toll on him."

His driver explained.

"Ronica thinks it's done more than damage his pipes, nothing we can properly tell"

The Fat Controller nodded.

"Seems like he's been needing some heavy maintenance for some time. It cannot be helped."

He spun to Richard.

"Rest assured. I'll have your trains covered until you're better. The men at the works will make you feel like a new engine."

"Vho'll will cover hiz d'rains vhile he'z away?"

His stoker asked. The Fat Controller paused, clearly thinking himself.

"I'll have a look at the schedule. I'm sure someone can do it..."

The only spare engine who was strong enough was Stanley, who wasn't too keen on the arrangements.

"Why does it have to be me!"

He snapped.

"I do twice the work of any engine, and I'm still given the short straw!"

"It can't be helped."

His driver grumbled.

"Anyway! Once we return home, I'll ask hubby to help us give you a wash down!"

"I don't care about a stupid washdown, or that daft harem or even the bloody train! I want to rest!"

"Not today lad..."

His stoker replied.

"Not today."

"... Joy."

Stanley arrived to the harbour at eleven o'clock on dot. The quayside was packed with workmen and boxes, all being moved around like headless chickens. While not pleased with the arrangements, Stanley couldn't help but marvel at the sight right before him.

"This'll be a piece of cake."

He muttered to himself.

"It most certainly will not."

Came the blunt reply. Stanley looked over, to see Barry, filling up with coal.

"Why? It's just like taking any other train, just at night. What's so hard 'bout that?"

"It's not just all that! It's more tedious than you think. You can't see beyond your light most of the time. And you must stay aware of where you are."

Barry grunted.

"The night brings out the wildlife. And sometimes the signalman need to know when your coming, so-"

"I get it! Using lumber for coal or somethin!? Quit being so uptight!"

"... Suit yourself."

Barry replied, eyeing the big blue engine.

"But take my advice. All I can say."

"Yeah, keep your gob shut!"

And Stanley snorted away! Barry's driver looked to him and shook her head.

"Should we get the cranes ready?"

"No."

Barry replied.

"Rather let him learn."

It wasn't long before Stanley's train was ready. Barry had left before, and Stanley was still fuming.

"Fancy thinkin' he knows better than me! 'Ave you heard!"

"He's not wrong though."

His driver snapped.

"Just pay attention!"

Stanley sniffed dismissively. Truthfully he thought he knew better than Barry. Which in hindsight, he really shouldn't have.

At last, the guard blew her whistle and waved the green flag. Stanley snorted off crossly! Bumping the trucks behind him!

"Get moving you lot!!"

He called!

"Hurry it up!"

And he set off into the darkness.

Now. Barry had been right. He knows all about night trains, and follows the code of practice to a T. Each time he passes the boxes, he gives a quick peep peep! From his whistle. Always clearing the section with no trouble at all.

Stanley was making good time. The trucks were being typical and the line was clear.

"No red signals!"

His stoker grinned.

"Seems to be a flawless run ay!"

The driver shook her head.

"Just don't let your guard down. I don't feel like wrecking tonight."

"Oh what's the harm! No clouds tonight! It's a perfectly clear night!"

Stanley thundered past a signal box. The trucks rumbling behind him. However, the signalman couldn't see nor hear him. He stood fixing a light when he saw a red lamp pass the box.

"Oh dear."

The signalman thought.

"Must be some runaway trucks! Better clear the line!"

And he pulled a lever! That changed some points up the line, which ran into a short siding.

Stanley was still fuming.

"Stupid Barry!"

He snapped.

"Thinkin he can boss mi around! Wot a load of ol-"

Everything happened at once! The points changed and Stanley barreled into a siding!

"OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

He cried! His driver and stoker fought for control. But it didn't stop him! The speed he'd been going and the weight of the trucks did nothing to slow his momentum! His crew lept into some nearby overgrowth by the side of the line, and watched as Stanley burst through some buffers! Ripping them to bits in seconds! The whole train tumbling up behind him!

"What on earth just happened?"

Asked a very bewildered guard. The driver and stoker stood dumbfounded.

"Phoebe... what did you say before."

His driver said, bluntly. The stoker looked at her feet.

"... Shut up!!"

She finally shouted, before bursting into a flood of tears.

Of course Barry showed him no sympathy, and passed the wreck without a word.

It was morning by the time the cranes had arrived. Douglas and Simon shifted the cranes, trucks and other things back and forth for ages. By the time Stanley was back on the rails, The Fat Controller had arrived.

"This nasty accident could've been avoided if you had listened to Barry!"

He told the big blue engine crossly.

"It was careless to travel like you own the railway!"

Stanley looked at his buffers sadly.

"Yes sir, sorry sir..."

He murmured.

"I should think so too! Lots of valuable cargo lost because of this stunt! Once you return from the works you'll be on the midnight goods for a month! Do I make myself clear?"

Stanley didn't reply.

"Seems like it did a fair amount of damage."

Douglas' driver added.

"He'll be in for a while I reckon."

"Well, we're not night people I suppose."

Stanley's stoker replied.

The Fat Controller kept his word. A few weeks later, Stanley returned to service. He was quickly placed on the midnight goods. He learnt quickly and even began to enjoy the runs. The beautiful night air. Clear rails and no red signals seemed to do him wonders. He's still mostly unchanged from the whole ordeal. But now he's a bit more careful about the dark. And even fills in for Richard and Barry when needed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.2K 2.4K 57
time is precious because of all the moments in between. --- some moments, memories, and musings written by yours truly cover by @dysanic
936K 21.5K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
7.5K 107 63
yeah uh pretty simple by the title. cant promise consistent updates at all so yeah it will contain angst and sometimes touchy subjects, so just a hea...
462K 31.4K 47
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...