Fate/King

By GodfirePoet

Patreon.com/Godfire 998 Support me. . . . . Icarus. The First hollow Human to desire nothing. Not women, not... More

Chapter 1
Reborn and Got Introduced To Magic
Peaceful Silence
Fate or Destiny?
Mystery.
Successful Experiment, Getting Arrested.
Walking out like An Endgame Boss
Problems Catching up
Damn. I wanna tap that.
Goodbye Father
Pythian Games [part 1]
Pythian Games part 2
Pythian Games [part 3]
Pythian Games [ Part 4]
Pythian Games (Final)
See The World As It Is, Not What You Want It To Be

Fate Of Daedalus.

47 5 0
By GodfirePoet

——————————————————————————

Daedalus took a sharp deep breath. He can feel 'him' threatening to burst out. He stole a glance to his son, who's perched under the tree. Enjoying the little peace he has.

He increased the gait of his steps. He doesn't want to show his son his unpleasant 'side'.
The pain was unbearable but he endured, for his son.

'Think of happy thoughts. Icarus son after a successful reseach, Icarus sleeping face.'

'Happy thoughts, Daedalus. Happy thoughts.'

He chanted this thoughts in his head like a mantra. Like he's drowning in a sea and he's doing all he can to hold on a piece of wood to stop sinking.

Daedalus doesn't what he did in his previous life to gain a perfect son like Icarus. His son who's matured beyond his years and a genius in his own right.

'Mayhaps I should ask Athena a favor to bless my Son. Athena can get the Perfect Hero and Ruler she wants so much.'

As soon as this thought entered his mind. He cringed slightly. He was physical repulsed by this thought that he almost dry heaved.

"No. Let's focus on this 'Greatest Invention ever invented yet'."

Daedalus feel silly at this moment. A creation claimed to be the greatest ever created? Who do this people think they are? No...Who does Perdix think he is?

Him, who's the greatest Mortal Inventor got thrown like a waste. Him, who got blessed by the Goddess of Crafts herself. Him wh—

Daedalus took another deep breath.

'He's coming out.'

Although he told his son almost anything about the world. There are things that he didn't tell him. Things that his researcher son will definitely do. Things that he doesn't want him to know.

Origin. A person's concept brought to life.

Origin is the starting point that defines one's existence and directs one's actions throughout life. The form it can take at times is that of a human being, and all humans match their actions to be in harmony with the driving force that originated them from the moment they enter into the world.

These actions are more along the lines of an inherent compulsion that could be called a person's instinct rather than a conscious decision. If a person becomes awakened to their Origin, it becomes nearly impossible to stray from it. It becomes an impulsive behavior one would follow as though it were an absolute order.

That's what an Origin is. It's so terrifying that he doesn't want his son to discover something like this. He, himself awaken his Origin. Well...more like it was forced to awaken. Athena 'blesses' him, and it had an unnatural consequences of his Origin awakening. Something that is forbidden to do.

His Origin was 'Vainglory'

It's obvious what it's meant to do.

Fortunately, he managed to rein it all in the last few years, taking care of his son. He doesn't want to show him this horrid thing Icarus call 'Father'.

This day is particularly stressing itself. Perdix dare to think he's actually that great? He's the one who taught him!! He dare to steal the glory from him?! Him, Daedalus?! How foolish! He'll show him who is the greatest Inventor!

Daedalus rubbed his temples. 'Its alright. I'll just see Perdix Invention, then go home to Icarus Smile.'

Nothing's more important than Icarus....

Nothing is more important than his son.

Nothing is...

——————————————————————————

Daedalus arrived at the area where the exhibition will be held. It's the Acropolis in Athens, around the North. It's a High-Mid Peak that a person standing on it can see all Athens and on the other side of the Acropolis is nothing. Like the Acropolis ended there, so there's nothing. Well...other than a landslide....I guess? The Acropolis is huge, standing on it. You can't see the ground on the other side.

It's so—

"Hey, look. Is that Daedalus?"

"Don't tell me he's sulking because he got surpassed by his own student."

"Hahaha."

'Its alright, I won't be long. I'll go as soon as the invention is presented.'

Daedalus clenched his hand hard into fists.
He grinded his teeth as veins pooped on his face.

He walked, climbing the stairs that lead to the peak of the Peak... —A/N: *Laughs nervously*—

The people around gathered when they saw Perdix walking around with a black blanket covering something rectangular underneath.

Daedalus took a seat, decided to hear the 'Greatest Invention' that his student created.

Daedalus has to admit, his student created some nifty things over the years. Such as the Compass and lathe.

But— Daedalus felt a burning sense of envy in his chest.

Anyhow, The exhibition started.

"Greetings, Dear Athenians!" Perdix voice boomed around the Acropolis.

"First, I'd like to tell you how my invention came to be."

"It was an ordinary day. While I walking on the seashore, I had picked up the spine of a fish or was it a serpent's jaw? Can't remember right. Anyway by Imitating it, I took a piece of iron and notched it on the edge, thus inventing my creation."

The crowd 'oohed' when they heard Perdix say that. They were all waiting eagerly for the reveal of the invention. Except for one, Daedalus. He felt an a extremely amount of dread when he heard his student say that.

"I know I've taken some of your time away but I promise you'll be rewarded!" Perdix continued.

Perdix paused to built anticipation.

"Now! I represent to you— The Saw!"

Perdix removed the cloth obscuring the creation and letting the crowd feast their eyes on his invention.

The crowd clapped but they were confused as what the invention do.

"Now, now. I know you may be confused but witness this."

Perdix brought a piece of wood and showed it to the crowd below. "What I have in my hand is an ordinary wood. A wood that you cut down with axes, using all your strengths. Well, no more!"

"My invention let's you cut wood with minimum force required, Watch."

Perdix put the wood on the table and brought his saw over it, pushing it forward and backward until the wood got cut.

"See? Perfectly cut, without using too much strength!" Perdix excitingly said.

The crowd below him went crazy. They know the power of this 'Saw' that Perdix invented.
It wouldn't be out of place to name it 'The greatest Invention ever created.'

The crowd applaused and whistled. Cheering like it's their wedding day.
——————————————————————————

Daedalus is a person who's proud of his achievements. So proud that he could not bear the idea of a rival. His sister Perdix, had placed her son Perdix —A/N: Pssh. Greek mythology, so complicated— under his charge to be taught the mechanical arts. He was an apt scholar and showed striking evidence of ingenuity.

Daedalus who took years suppressing his ugly side thanks to his son, now erupted like a hot  active volcano.

Unknownly to him or anyone on the Acropolis, an owl sat. Watching the exhibition.

Daedalus was prepared to take precautions to remove the 'rival' of his. Rival? Daedalus is the Greatest Greek inventor. No one is his equal!

This people dare to compare him to Perdix?!

'There can not be two lions in the same territory.'

Daedalus found himself agreeing with this thought that entered his mind. Daedalus was far gone at this point, his mind was already turning on it head. If Icarus was to see him, he would've been suprised that that's his father.

Madness clouded his mind. Polluted his rational thinking and judgement.

Right now, Daedalus is ready to do all it takes to remove the variable causing him discomfort.

And so....

Daedalus sat until the crowd thinned. Until only he and Perdix are the only ones on the Acropolis.

Seeing that they're isolated from all eyes, Daedalus stood up and said. "So, Perdix. Is this the greatest invention ever created?" Daedalus snorted, showing how amusing this is to him.

Perdix, who was preparing to leave paused hearing his former master's words. Perdix trembled hearing this. "You know, I was suprised to see you here. I thought you've come to support me but— I see you haven't changed at all, Uncle."

"Changed? Hmph. You really are naive to think that." Daedalus eyes shone with madness as he slowly approached Perdix who still haven't turned yet.

Daedalus continued. "A word of advice if you survive."

Hearing the word 'Survive' From Daedalus mouth made Perdix turn fast, fast enough to get a whirl splash. "Y-you, You wouldn't do that."

Daedalus laughed creepily. "Do what, oh dear student of mine? Remember I made you, nephew! I built you! I took you in when you wanted to become an Inventor! I gave everything to you!! Is this what you thank me with?! hmph. I own you, Perdix." Daedalus shouted suddenly. Spittle flying out of his mouth as he was fuming like a burning furnace. His hair was in disarray, adding to his already mad appearance on top.

Perdix countenance paled hearing that as terror struck his soul. But out of nowhere, anger and hatred was born through his myriad of emotions.

Perdix countered. "Made me? Own me? Took me in? Hmph! What a joke! I had to scrape by as you didn't teach me anything! I had to teach myself! Don't tell me by taking me in, You abandoned me! I had to sleep starving! I had to beg you like I'm your pet!"

Perdix didn't relent. "The truth was, you feared my potential, uncle. I made you uncomfortable in your own very house. You're jealous of my talent and my achievements. You're a sad man, aren't you?"

Perdix took pleasure in seeing his uncle shocked expression. He didn't expect that he would attack back. He let out a huff and turned around, intent on walking away.

What Perdix didn't expect was for Daedalus to take him by his clothes and dragged him to the cliff edge. "There would never be two Gods in one city, there would never be two lions in the same territory." Daedalus here paused.

As he arrived at the edge, he looked at Perdix, his nephew who was begging to stop. Begging him for forgiveness. He catch on too fast.

"There will never be two Inventors in the same Kingdom." With that he pushed Perdix off the Acropolis. Perdix voice got drowned by the winds down there.

As Daedalus pushed Perdix off the cliff. A pair of eyes watched him. After a minute they left shortly. Their destination? The King, to inform Him of what just happened.

Another pair of eyes that had watched this whole thing, left too. But this one's came from the owl on top of the tree. It flew down and saved Perdix, but it transformed him into a bird.  That owl was Athena, The Goddess of Crafts, Wisdom and Warfare. The patron of the city.

Nonetheless, Athena, who favored ingenuity, saw him falling and arrested his fate by changing him into a bird called after his name, the perdix (partridge). This is kind of bird does not build its nest in the trees, nor take lofty flights, but nestles in the hedges, and mindful of his fall, avoids high places.

Daedalus seeing the owl save Perdix knew what it is. He came to clarity after seeing this owl. A heavy lump of regret formed on his throat. Before he could explain what happened to the owl, unfortunately it didn't listen to him. The owl attacked Daedalus.

Daedalus shielded his face with his arm, but the appendage got attacked in it. After that the owl left Daedalus with a new scar on this arm.

The aftermath of the whole situation left Daedalus feeling hollow as he felt that another thing was taken from him.

Athena left Daedalus with a scar in the shape of a partridge, to remind him of what he did.
...
....
. ..

And so... Fate and Divine Intervention struck down an a unsuspecting soul again.
——————————————————————————

Patreon. Com/godfire998

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 331 12
The ancient myth of Icarus; reimagined. Icarus is a young man longing to be a hero, living in his father's shadow. Throughout his life, sunlight is t...
110 18 10
It all started with an ordinary human from Earth who found himself caught in an unknown incident while wandering in the universe. He was approached b...
452 22 10
The cold wind is bearable, however the emptiness is not. --- Hadrieas the daughter of Hades, God of the Underworld, felt the never ending emptiness...
94K 3.1K 45
Waking up to reality with the view of a system, the stats that he could see described his powers. Issei died to only be revived once more to see the...