Time's Up : The Mystery Of Cl...

By mister_yoos

A seemingly ordinary class full of competitive and smart students hides a terrifying secret. The class of Gra... More

Disclaimer
Chapter 1 : The Train
Chapter 2 : The Diary
Chapter 3 : The Plan
Chapter 4 : The Class
Chapter 5 : The Diary II
Chapter 6 : The Warning
Chapter 7 : The Research Teacher's Death
Chapter 8 : The Mysterious Sender
Chapter 9 : The Diary III
Chapter 10 : The Sketch
Chapter 11 : Mike Libra
Chapter 12 : Time's Up
Chapter 14 : The Curse
Chapter 15 : Scarred
Chapter 16 : The Shadow
Chapter 17 : Mixed Feelings
Chapter 18 : Lander Parr
Chapter 19 : Another Death
Chapter 20 : Truth and Suspicions
Chapter 21 : Fear
Chapter 22 : Momentary

Chapter 13 : Sleepless Night

7 1 0
By mister_yoos

Chapter 13: Sleepless Night

Nhissie has been up all night. The dark circles under her eyes says it all. She looks tired and she had sighed multiple times she'd lost count. There are three empty cups of coffee lying on top of her table. She has been staring at the additional photos pasted on the glass board in her living room.

"How's JeMair doing? Is he awake?" Launce asked as soon as he sat down. He looked so tired and visibly sleepless too.

Nhissie shook her head. Working in undercover as a student and helping with the investigation is making her exhausted but she couldn't quit. After Mike Libra's death, she had promised herself that she'll hunt the culprit no matter what. She'll bring him to justice and make sure that those who fell victim to him will rest in peace.

"Poor kid."

"It's been two days but he's still unconscious. He must have been very shock upon seeing his friend like that." She sighed.

"I mean, at his age, who wouldn't? Mike Libra was his friend, one moment he was alive then he was dead." Launce commented with a tired voice.

"But who would do such evil thing? Mike was just a high school student for God's sake. He's not even that talkative." Nhissie gave out a deep sigh.

"You told me he's the one who said that Mister Joles has the original CCTV footage, right? The same footage that I found inside his pocket."

"Yeah. He told me before he died. What are you suggesting?"

"We can call Mister Joles in as a person of interest. The forensics hasn't found any trace of fingerprints yet but with the victim's statement, we can do something." Launce suggested.

"That victim is already dead, Launce. We can't call that valid. Also..."

"What?"

Nhissie looked at him with hesitation. "Mister Joles seemed really close with the students. Could he really do that despite their bond?"

"You said crime knows no age but it knows no relationship either." Launce shrugged.

Nhissie bit her lips and sighed. "Everyone was worried about JeMair, Mike Libra died inside the school, Miss Jinx case hasn't calm down and now we have to call Mister Joles as the suspect for Mike's case. This case is exhausting."

"Don't worry, I'll handle the case. You can resume your own investigation secretly and I'll do the same the opposite way." Launce gave ger a reassuring smile.

"We have to work harder, Launce. We can't let the culprit take another life. Not on our watch." Nhissie took a deep breath as she stood up.

"I know. We never failed in solving difficult cases. We will succeed again this time, partner. For now, you go and get some sleep." Launce stood up and patted her shoulder.

Nhissie went inside her room with unease feeling. She lied on her bed trying to fall asleep but no matter how hard she tried, her mind's full of thought. She has this feeling that Mike and Miss Jinx death are somehow related but she couldn't figure out what the connection is or why were the both of them killed.

"Nhissie, are you asleep?" She heard Launce voice outside her room.

Nhissie stood up and opened the door. "I can't seem to fall asleep, why?"

"Come here, I need to show you something." Launce dragged her in front of the monitor. "Look."

"What is it?" Nhissie furrowed her brows as she stared at the screen.

"Just watch." Replied Launce.

She did as she was told but she couldn't see anything significant. It was the uncut footage outside the faculty office. They have been watching for several times but didn't find anything that could help the case. She was already tired on staring at the grass and pavement in front of the office. When the footage ended, Nhissie sighed and looked at Launce.

"We've been watching that for the hundredth time, Launce."

"No, just focus." Her partner replied without taking his eyes off of the screen.

Nhissie sighed and look at it again. After a while, the screen went black indicating that it was already the end of the footage or so she thought because after ten seconds of the screen being all black, another set of footage begun playing again. It was the same pavement and grasses in front of the office except that now, a man wearing a black hoodie and black ballcap was seen entering the office. He stayed there for fifteen minutes before departing and then Miss Jinx followed. Everything was quiet then the next scene was her and JeMair walking towards the faculty office.

Nhissie couldn't believe what she just saw. "We thought it's the end of the video but it turned out t was just a way to hide another footage. How clever." She stated.

"Does this mean that the mysterious sender could have done it?" Launce furrowed his brows.

Nhissie shook her head. "He left first before Miss Jinx came in. But that explained why the note was on my shoe."

"You think that mysterious sender knew something?" Launce asked.

"Probably."

"But how are we going to identify this person? He's using his left hand to write the notes, it's impossible to trace."

"But now I confirmed something for sure." Nhissie stood up and walked towards the glass board where the informations are written and pasted.

"What did you confirm?"

"The mysterious sender goes to my school."

Launce eyes widened. "What?"

"We've reviewed all footage 'til the end and there's nothing like this one with a hidden footage. We didn't see him exit the school despite acquiring all footage of all the exits. That means, he either went inside one of the classrooms or the washrooms. Either way, I'm sure that he's a student in Reid Monte High School."

"Woah! You're really amazing." Launce covered his mouth in amazement.

"Now, all we have to do is observe, no, all I have to do is observe. Now matter how much he tries to fit in, I'll do everything to recognize him." Nhissie said in her determined voice.

Launce nodded. "I know you will, partner. I trust you and you detective skills. Now, go and get some rest. You still have to go to school tomorrow." He then escorted her towards her room.

Upon garnering a little information, Nhissie felt a little relieved. Her tired body finally drifted off to sleep after closing her eyes. She didn't sleep for long as her alarm went off at five in the morning. She only slept for two hours but her body is already thankful for that little amount. Upon getting up and leaving her room, her nose was greeted by the smell of pancake and coffee. It's been a while since she lasted tasted Launce's cooking. Nhissie smiled and took a deep breath inhaling the sweet aroma that's filling the whole house.

"Good morning, partner." Launce usually cheery voice greeted her.

"Morning. You cooked?" She asked.

Launce nodded his head. "I figured out that you must have been missing my amazing skills so I did you a little favor."

"You really know me."

"Of course. Now, just sit and enjoy my foods, partner." Launce winked as he served her some pancakes and coffee.

Launce is great at cooking. Even a simple breakfast would taste like five stars if it was made by him. Not an exaggeration but he's really got some skills. After eating breakfast, Nhissie prepared and went to school.

The four corners of the room were filled with chatters and whispers. Everyone looked worried. Daive, being the class president had been running everywhere. The police haven't left the school premises. Everyone was already awre of what happened to Mike. JeMair who already woke up and went to school was sitting silently and he stared outside the window. Charlotte's eyes were puffy and a sign that she had been crying.

"Will he be alright?" Fina whispered to Criss while looking at JeMair.

"Mike was like a brother to him. They had always been so close. I don't think accepting what happened will be easy for JeMair." Criss replied.

"That's not the worst part, girls. JeMair saw Mike's body hanging from the ceiling." Emi whispered.

"Come on, guys. Stop talking about it, he might hear you. JeMair isn't the vocal type but that doesn't mean he doesn't care. Let not be insensitive." Thea scolded them.

"Hey, everyone!" Everyone's attention jolted towards the door when Gero cames running. "They took Mister Joles in." He announced.

"Mister Joles? Why?" Dhee Jei asked.

"He admitted that he did something with the CCTV footage." Landerh answered instead.

"What does that mean?" Charlotte asked.

"Wait, I also heard that the original footage was found inside Mike's pocket." Renz commented.

"Does that mean he killed Mike? So, he didn't commit suicide?" Paul questioned.

"Well, I don't know." Gero and Landerh shrugged their shoulders. "JeMair, did you-"

JeMair stood up cutting Gero's question. "If you wanted to know everything, ask the authorities. If you want to talk and gossip, do it somewhere else. I don't care even if you talk about him but when I'm here, will you please be sensitive and quit?" He said while glaring at them and walked out of the classroom leaving everyone in utter silent.

Nhissie was approaching the classroom when she heard the commotion. She was a bit relieved when she heard JeMair's voice because that means he's already back but his words made her sad. He didn't say directly how he felt but with his words, she can tell that hes suffering.

"So, this is why Mike asked me to not let JeMair see if anything happens?" Nhissie sighed from her thoughts.

Nhissie watched as JeMair walked towards the building where is favorite place was located. She wanted to follow him but she decided it was better to let him be alone for the time being.

"Gale, how are you? You seemed tired?" Aly, Fina, Criss, Lia and Emi approached her the moment she sat down.

"I'm fine. I just had a sleepless night because of so many things." Nhissie sighed.

"We didn't see anything but you and that detective saw Mike's body, right?" Criss asked.

Nhissie hesitantly nodded. "Yes."

"Did Mister Joles really killed Mike? Did he really do that?" Redge questioned, his hands inside his pocket but his face looks worried.

"I don't know, Redge." Nhissie mumbled.

"No, he wouldn't do that. Mister Joles cares for us. He's more than a parent to us that our folks." Gero commented.

Aly sighed and walked back to her seat. "I'm scared." She whispered.

"You don't have to be scared. We are here." Gero comforted her.

"Do you think the curse is real?" Charlotte's sentence caught everyone's attention especially Nhissie.

"Curse?" Nhissie asked out of curiosity.

"You know? One of our classmates said to have committed suicide and cursed our section-"

"Lia." Daive's voice echoed from the door, causing everyone to fell in deafening silence. "There's no such thing as curse, it's not true. What's behind Miss Jinx and Mike's death are nothing but a work of a monster, a criminal. It has nothing to do with whatever curse you are talking." He said in a serious and authoritative voice.

It was the first time Nhissie saw him like that. "But it all happened after her death." Emi stated.

"It was just a coincidence. Nothing more, nothing less." Daive insisted. "Also, Mister Joles already admitted to tampering with the CCTV despite denying knowing anything about Mike's death." He sighed.

"Does that mean, the culprit was still on the loose?" Thea bit her lips.

"What if he comes after one of us?" Faye brushed her hair with her fingers.

"Damn! I don't wanna die. I'll fight him if I have to." Rome commented.

"No one is going to die, alright? Will you guys calm down?" Daive calmed them down.

"Daive's right. The police will be doing their investigations. They will surely catch the person behind everything." Dhee Jei seconded.

Despite Daive and Dhee Jei's words, everyone still looked worried. It's not surprising that they're scared because of everything. Yet, what interests Nhissie was the curse they were talking about. If she's thinking about the right thing, they must be talking about the first death that happened inside the school, Angela Pines' death.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

A School Apocalypse By Ellie

Mystery / Thriller

2.5K 175 48
Very Rough Draft* During a casual day at school, a sudden zombie outbreak occurs in the small town of Amberley, South Island, New Zealand, causing te...
464 37 20
We held our breath as we heard footsteps enter the dark room. My heart raced and I covered my mouth to keep from screaming as tears ran down my cheek...
1.4K 61 21
16 highschoolers have participated in a killing game from the famous Team Danganronpa. It seems that something unusual happend and the participants s...
191 9 9
"I'm not dying here! I'll be left to haunt this place forever and I will not stay here longer than I have to!" Saturdays. Usually days of relaxation...