Sugar, Spice and a pinch of F...

By PaigeDaniels

Jessica Aubry is your typical 17 year-old high school student. She goes to school and has to deal with troubl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Sneak peek
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
FAQs and My Replies
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Vote for the Cast! :))
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Facebook Page
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52 (The End?)
Chapter 53 (Epilogue)
Author's Note
Sneak Peak
The Sequel!
Editing
Review

Chapter 36

28K 215 19
By PaigeDaniels

---------- Chapter 36 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV – With his friends) 

“Oh, what’s this? Haden Carter joining us? Hmm, well I’ll be! The world must be spinning in reverse,” Ethan teases as I walk up to his table.

“Funny, Ethan, real funny,” I murmur, mock jabbing him in the arm.

“Okay, let’s be serious here. I have two questions. One; where are Alex and Matt? Aren’t the three of you inseperable? Second; I wanna know why you’re here with us, rather than that gaggle of high school kids you left with,” Jeremy announces, ordering me a drink.

“Before I answer your questions, when did that happen?” I demand gesturing to Chantelle sitting cosily on Kevin’s lap, sucking each other’s faces off.

“You know them. We told them they liked each other. They didn’t believe us. So two beers later, here we are!” Ethan responds, smirking. “Now, to the Jeremy’s questions.”

“Okay. Alex and Matt ditched me to go catch a movie earlier in the night. We don’t always hang out together. The two of them are closer anyway. As to the high school kids...well, it started getting a little uncomfortable. So I ditched them, and here I am!” I intone, taking a swig of my whiskey.

“Let me guess, the girls wanted you?” Jeremy asks, chuckling.

“Dude, I think even the two dudes would have wanted him,” Ethan adds. “The only person who would have been normal would probably have been his sister!”

And he’s right. Quite possibly, the only person at that table who didn’t want to either hook up with me or beat me up because the girls wanted to hook up with me, would have been Jess. How insanely depressing!

               “She’s not my sister,” I announce glumly, downing another swig.

               “Thank God for that. She looked extremely pretty tonight. I would have asked her to dance if I knew her. She should come join us at our table some time. She seems to cool to be wasting her time with high school boys,” Ethan murmurs softly.

               “Wait a second! Haden...I watched you dance with her earlier on. I donno, call me crazy, but...do you happen to like her?” Jeremy asks, shocking me a little. He wasn’t even quiet. Chantelle and Kevin pull apart, leaning in to listen to us.

               “Funny,” I mutter, getting up to order another drink.

               “Slow down cowboy!” Ethan warns. “You’re pretty bright red. Shall we take that as a yes?”

               “Can we drop it?” I insist softly.

               “Dude, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about! She isn’t your sister. You’re her guardian. You’ve basically grown up around her, right? Falling for her would be the normal thing to do. Besides, if we’re being honest, she’s quite the looker too,” Jeremy consoles, laying his hand on my shoulder.

               “But come on! You guys know how weird it sounds. And I told her,” I admit quietly. “I think it just freaked her out more than anything.”

               “Well, give her some time,” Ethan advices. “And hey, if it doesn’t work out with you, I’ll be nice to her!” he teases.

               “Yeah, sure. And what makes you think she’d ever think twice about you?” I shoot back, grinning.

               “Well, I get that you probably won’t have noticed this but, I’m kind of a stud,” he announces confidently.

Chantelle scoffs and rolls her eyes. “Ignoring Mr Arrogant! Haden, the girl likes you, obviously. Just give her time,” she offers, before going back to sucking Kevin’s face off.

               “Okay!” I call loudly, getting everyone’s attention, “moving away from my nonexistent love life, what’s going on with you guys?”

               “Nothing much. I got like a dozen high school girl’s numbers. They’re like a crazy mob,” Jeremy murmurs, shaking his head.

               “Actually, they’re like rabid investors, and we, my friends, are amazing commodities!” Ethan announces, raising his glass. With a chuckle, we toast and we pretty much spend the next two hours laughing and recounting old high school stories.

***

               “Haden! I think it’s your phone,” Ethan calls from the table. I had left my phone on the table when Jeremy challenged me to a round of pool.

               “Leave it. Can’t be important,” I call back, planning my next shot.

               “Okay, but Jessica won’t be pleased,” he calls temptingly.

Jeremy grins and in a moment, I’m back at the table, taking the call. My friends chuckle at my reaction and make horribly kissy faces. “What’s up Jess?” I ask as nonchalantly as possible, only to the amusement of my mates.

               “Hey handsome,” Jessy slurs, giggling slightly.

               “O-kay...is it safe to assume you want me to come pick you up?” I ask.

               “You’re so smart and funny,” she sighs. Yup, she’s completely wasted.

               “Okay, I’ll come right over Jess. If your friends are as drunk as you are, tell them not to drove, alright? I’ll send them home,” I offer.

               “Loooove you,” she murmurs, giggling hysterically.

I slide my phone shut and shake my head. “I’ve got to go, people. Jess is completely wasted,” I inform them, grabbing my jacket.

               “Bros and Chantelle before whores, my man,” Kevin calls from his corner. “Not that Jessica is a whore or anything,” he quickly adds.

               “Well bros I really got to go before Jessica gets into some random car. She’s really that wasted,” I call over my shoulder, heading to my car.

***

               “Jessy?” I call walking into Laguna.

               “Helooooooooooooo,” Jessy murmurs, smiling at her table. She’s sitting alone and playing with an empty plate or something.

               “Where are your friends, babe?” I ask, offering her my hand.

               “What friends?” she asks back, studying my face intently. “You’re a lot prettier than most of the girls I know!” she suddenly exclaims, running a finger along my jaw.

I feel my cheeks heat up in embarrassment as people in the club stare and snicker at us. “Alright Jessy, let’s go home,” I murmur.

I gently load her in my car and fasten the seat belt before getting in myself. I’m on the highway when Jess’ hand suddenly worms its way onto my thigh, shocking me. My car swerves under my shocked hands, barely dodging another car.

               “Jessy!” I exclaim in frustration. She merely giggles and leans her head on my shoulder.

               “Pull over!” she commands, smiling widely.

               “Why? Do you feel sick?” I ask her, concerned.

               “Nope. Pull over,” she repeats.

Sighing deeply, I pull over onto the shoulder of the road and Jessy unfastens her belt. Before I can ask her what she’s doing, she climbs across the gear box and gently straddles me, her back against the steering wheel. I pull the hand break feverishly, wondering what the hell is going on.

Jessy leans her forehead against mine, her violet eyes boring into mine. “You smell nice,” she informs me sweetly, closing her eyes. “But I think Carter smells better,” she concludes.

               “We’re going to talk about Carter, are we?” I ask gruffly, irritated that she had to bring up that prick.

She merely nods her head. My irritation seems lost to her. She rests both hands on either side of my face to hold me still and opens her eyes. “You look very handsome though,” she announces, tilting her head slightly. Her black locks frame her delicate face and her bright eyes, slightly red from drinking, pierce me.

She bends over, and in a moment, our lips touch. It’s like someone sent a shock of electricity through my veins. In a good way of course. Here’s the girl I’ve been pining over for years, and now she’s initiating the kiss! She’s drunk and all...but this is progress, I think.

Before I know what’s going on, she pulls away. And the distance between us hits me with a pang. “You taste better though,” she murmurs contentedly, her lips going back to mine. But instead of kissing me, she sucks on my lower lip, driving me absolutely insane! Where’d she learn this?! I feel like a child!

               “Yup! You definitely taste better,” she whispers, leaning her forehead against mine again. “Did you mean it when you said you loved me?” she asks abruptly.

               “Yes,” I admit softly, my entire face burning from embarrassment.

               “Okay,” she says simply, leaning her face against the crook of my neck. “I love you too then.”

I wrap my arms around her back and hold her to me, searing this moment into my memory. If, when she’s sober, she decides she doesn’t want to be with me, at least I would have this one moment. “Thank you,” I whisper.

               “Can we go home?” she asks suddenly, her lips against my neck, once again making me shiver in desire.

               “Okay. You have to get off my lap though,” I inform her. 

               “But I don’t want to. It’s comfortable here,” she replies, not moving an inch. “Do that magic thing where we disappear and appear somewhere else!” she calls gleefully, pulling away from me so she can see me. Her eyes are bright and dancing. The mischievousness on her face is something I haven’t seen in a long time.

               “Not now, Jess. Get off my lap, babe,” I instruct seriously.

               “Fine,” she pouts. “Can I sleep with you tonight?” she asks, shocking me.

               “What?!” I stutter, surprised.

               “Please? I’ll suck your lip again?” she promises, rubbing her cheek against mine.

               “Jessy, please. You’re distracting me,” I admit, lifting her up by her waist and putting her down on the passenger’s seat. She glares at me angrily and stares out the window.

I sigh to myself, and start the car once again. When we’re about five minutes from the mansion, I decide it would be prudent to apologise. “I’m sorry Jessy,” I whisper, reaching across the seat to take her hand.

               “That’s why we’ll never work out,” she informs me sadly after a long moment of silence. “You’re too responsible all the time. You should just have fun sometimes,” she mumbles. “But I still love you.”

It’s just the alcohol talking, I remind myself. “I love you too,” I murmur back.

               “You kiss well too,” she whispers, once again leaning her head against my shoulder. At least it looks like she’s forgiven me.

I pull up in the garage and help her out of the car. She’s so sloshed, she can’t walk properly without my supporting her.

I lead her up the stairs, and she totters around in her high heels, smiling contentedly. I dump her in her room, when she stops me from leaving, grabbing onto my hand. “Stay for a while?” she pleads.

               “I don’t think that would be a good idea,” I inform her. What the hell am I saying? This could be the only chance I get...and here I am...killing my chance.

Jessy smiles sadly and nods her head. She shuts the door closed behind her.

I walk up moodily to my room, and slam the door shut behind me. I quickly hang my jacket up and remove my tie, all the while kicking myself internally for refusing Jess.

All of a sudden, my door opens and Jess stands, framed in the doorway wearing her boxer shorts and clingy singlet. She smiles at me and sits down on the edge of my bed.

               “What are you doing here, Jess?” I ask her uncertainly.

               “Haden, I’m not that drunk. I know what I’m doing,” she murmurs, drawing patterns on my quilt, as she stares at the ground. “I’ve got a massive headache and my stomach is sort of spinning around and stuff...but I know what I’m doing,” she repeats.

               “So what are you doing?” I ask, leaning against my wardrobe, as far away from her as possible.

               “You love me, right? Well...remember when I said I needed to think about it? I have. I love you too. I just need the courage alcohol gives to tell you. So I want to do this, while I’m still brave enough to. If not...I donno if I’ll ever be able to face the truth,” she murmurs, silkily, walking over to me.

               “Jess...I’m afraid,” I admit softly.

               “Then you haven’t had enough to drink!’ she calls gleefully, wrapping her arms around my neck.

               “Funny,” I mutter, disengaging from her.

               “Fine. Can we just cuddle? And talk? I don’t want to be alone,” she murmurs, softly, her voice shaking a little.

               “What’s wrong Jess? Is something frightening you?” I ask immediately, turning to face her.

She takes advantage of this and leans in to kiss me. She tip toes to deepen the kiss, and the heady mix of having her kiss me so passionately and knowing that she wants me has me on a sort of high.

               “You don’t fight fair,” I mutter against her lips.

               “Neither do you,” she retorts, hooking one leg around my waist. I help her hoist herself up and she wraps the other leg around my waist as well. She giggles gleefully, breaking off the kiss. “I like being carried,” she murmurs, as if deciding it finally.

               “I’m glad you do,” I murmur, watching her lovingly. Goddmanit! Why must she be so amazing? Why can’t I say no?!

The next thing I know, we’re on my bed, and she’s on top of me, kissing me.

               “Babe, I don’t want to do this,” I finally murmur, pushing her off me. She lies on the bed beside me, her breathing heavy.

               “I don’t get it,” she admits sourly. “You love me, but you won’t sleep with me?” she asks, her tone hurt.

               “Jess, you have no idea how much I want to. I just don’t want you to be drunk when we do. I want to know that you’re ready and you want to,” I tell her, stroking her hair.

               “But I am ready and I do want to! Make me forget Carter! Please!’ she begs, her voice breaking.

So that’s what this is about. Carter...I should have known. “He really hurt your feelings, didn’t he?” I ask. She nods her head and straddles me again. “Jessy, please! My self control is not at its peak!” I plead.

               “Stop then. Don’t say no. Less talking, more kissing!” she jokes, kissing my neck.

I groan to myself. What the hell do I do?! “Stop it!” I order, rolling over, so I’m straddling her.

               “You want to be on top?” she asks confused, reaching up to kiss me again.

               “No. I want you to stop this and go back to your room before we do something you regret!” I plead once again.

               “Why are you such a hypocrite? You won’t sleep with me because you think it’s taking advantage of me? But you don’t mind kissing me and touching me?” she demands, her tone razor sharp.

I get off her and lie down beside her. “You’re right. I am a hypocrite,” I finally whisper. She rests her head on my chest and we just stay like that for a long time.

               “Carter broke up with me today. He said he never loved me and that he only slept with me to get at you,” she whispers, her voice breaking. I turn to face her only to find her face tear streaked. “Can I at least talk to you about it?” she asks softly.

               “Of course,” I murmur, kissing her forehead. She curls up against me and begins recounting her conversation with Carter. By the end of it, she’s sobbing so hard, I have to hold on to her to stop her from shaking.

***

The sunlight streams in through my high windows, bathing my room in a gentle yellow glow. The rays stop right on Jessy’s face, making her glow like an angel. She shifts in her sleep, resting her head against my bare chest once again.

She touches me uncertainly and suddenly jumps off the bed, pulling the quilt with her to hide herself.

               “Ohmygod!” she exclaims, staring at me in horror. “Ohmygod! I’m such a slut! This is the second time I’m drunk and I slept with you too!” she moans to herself, freaking out.

I grin at her, wondering when she would calm down enough for me to tell her we didn’t sleep together.

               “At least you’re still here. The last time I slept with someone, he wasn’t there when I woke up!” she informs me, as if I didn’t know. She climbs back into bed and curls up beside me. “Was I really bad?” she asks softly.

I open my mouth to tell her that I wouldn’t know, but she cuts me off. “I was, wasn’t I? I’m so embarrassed! We’re never talking about this, okay? I feel really happy though...I guess you’re really good,” she murmurs, kissing my lips gently.

               “I think this means I really love you,” she mumbles softly, kissing me more passionately. “Thank you. Now I don’t feel like a prostitute anymore,” she whispers, kissing me again.

And I just don’t have the heart to tell her we didn’t sleep together. How would I broach that?

You can go back to feeling like a hooker, Jess, coz we didn’t sleep together.

Yeah, right. I’m not gonna make her feel like crap. If she wants to believe it, that’s fine. I’ll tell her when she’s more calm.

I have to admit, seeing her so happy-ish over it...it kind of gives me hope that  we might just have a future together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 23.5K 48
COMPLETED. Book 1/4 of the Adam's Series - She moved in with her twin brother. He lived with her brother. But, you can't blame gravity for falling in...
381 93 9
Jessica, the sixteen-year-old girl, is living an ordinary everyday teen life with her mother and is in connection with her father, who is always in b...
26.4K 915 64
a teen wolf fan fic in which 16 year-old Aaliyah Dunbar battles the supernatural while trying to survive high school. She finds out the truth of her...
961K 25.6K 18
Emily is the shy, nerdy girl of her school, hiding a huge secret. Daniel is the history teacher, 22, an alpha, and mate less. What happens when fate...