Servant of the Serpent

By RowanLaneStories

When Eben decides to rob the isolated town nestled deep in the woods, he could never have predicted that he w... More

BOOK ONE - Servant of the Serpent
Author's note
Foreword
Snakes for Friends
Coiled Up in a Dark Place
Into the Snake's Den
Snake Charmer
Yellow Bellied
Stitched Scales
Serpent's Tongue
The Statue of Helia
Cold Scales
Forbidden Fruit
Snake in the Grass
Vipers that Cannot be Charmed
Once Bitten
Brumation
Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Winter's Eve
Celebrating Death
Melting Frost
Warmed Stone
Ecdysis
Ouroboros
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
BOOK TWO - Family of Monsters
Foreword
Flights of Fancy
Blue Sky Thinking
Nesting
Birds of Prey
Early Bird
Downy Feathers
Birdsong
Water Off a Duck's Back
Two Turtle Doves
Molting
Merry as a Lark
Chickadee's Song
First Flights
Mourning Dove
Bird Flu
Flying South
Walking on Eggshells
One Winged Dove
Flew Too Close to the Sun
Feather Plucking
Flight Risk
Flew the Coop

Venomous Words

173 11 2
By RowanLaneStories

Winter was upon them now. Thick blankets of snow piled the forest, surrounding Adder's home in a frosty tundra of ice.

Eben shivers, breathing warm air onto his hands as he checks on the hens. Peering inside the coop, he sees they're all fluffed up and huddling together, cozy in their nests.

He sighs, wishing that he could cuddle up somewhere warm. But he wasn't like Adder, he couldn't slumber through this unforgiving time of year.

Instead, he focuses on keeping himself busy, knowing idle hands will lead to an overactive mind.

After tending to the birds, he mounts Fairy and heads into the woods. They move as one, darting and weaving through the trees expertly.

It's enjoyable as always, but it doesn't bring him as much exhilaration as it used to.

Before, riding the dappled made him feel free. But now he knows that is far from what he wants now. Now he wants to belong somewhere, to someone.

To Adder.

Pulling the reins, he slows Fairy to a halt. The half-elf takes a moment to gaze up at the sky, watching the canopy sway in the bitterly cold wind.

He dismounts and takes his place sitting under a frosted pine. Eben pulls out his drawing tools from his satchel and begins sketching out the frozen landscape. The redhead doesn't particularly enjoy drawing trees and snow, but it was a nice change of pace. At least here he wasn't checking Adder every ten seconds for signs of life.

Eben sighs, dragging the charcoal across the rough paper. He blocks out the shape of the towering pines bending under the weight of the snow, using his thumb to smear the dust across the areas of shadow.

As he works, the scene comes to life beautifully. He smiles, a little proud of his improvement. Since he's come here, he's had lots of time to practice.

However, the tranquility is soon interrupted by the dreaded sound—church bells.

Eben's stomach drops at the sound reverberating in the cold air. Dropping his sketchbook, he mounts Fairy and dashes to the cave.

He runs into Adder's room to check the gorgon, sighing a breath of relief when he finds the man is still fast asleep—curled up in the furs and blankets of his nest.

Eben reaches toward the bells on the gorgon's horns before he hesitates for a moment, a hand coming to his neck as he remembers Sheppard's ominous warnings. But looking at his friend's sweetly dreaming face bulldozes over his fear. He tugs on the bells tied to Adder's horns, removing them and tying them to his wrists before running back to Fairy.

He needs to do this.

As he reaches the town, he dismounts his steed and searches frantically for the threat.

This time, it's not like that dark night Claudia was slain. Villagers can be seen kneeling everywhere, frozen where they were going about their day just moments before.

As he approaches, many cower and whimper at the sound of the bells on his wrists. Their horror at just the thought Adder may be near makes Eben's heart twist. No wonder the gorgon is the way he is.

Suddenly, A blood-curdling roar pierces the air, disrupting his thoughts and sending chills down his spine. Steeling himself for what's to come, the half-elf runs towards the sound.

Just as he's about to come to the gate, however, he's stopped in his tracks at a heart-pounding sight. It's a wolf—a huge wolf with sandy-colored fur. It turns its head to Eben at his approach, eyes closed and hackles raised.

The half-elf tenses, wondering just how he is going to take down this beast unaided. Its paws alone look bigger than his head!

The wolf scents the air, mighty snout raised before it opens its eyes to meet Eben's. The half-elf jolts as he recognizes the cold blue gaze of the creature.

"Daisy?"

The wolf's eyes narrow. It approaches Eben, lying at his feet demurely. He freezes, trying to decipher the werewolf's intentions.

With an eye roll, Daisy gestures for him to climb on her back. Cautiously, he mounts the massive werewolf, who wastes no time in sprinting to the village gate. The half-elf digs his hands into the blonde fur, holding on for dear life as the wolf speeds off at a pace that could keep up with Fairy easily.

As they arrive, a terrifying sight looms into view; a towering minotaur. The half-elf's heart palpitates as he takes in the beast's massive size and bulging muscles. Even Adder would struggle to take down a beast of this size, did they stand a chance?

The minotaur snarls as it spots the duo, lowering its massive horns as it charges at them. Daisy gives a vicious growl in return, dodging nimbly.

The beast runs head-on into the wall with a deafening crash. However, the monster seems unphased, giving another horrific roar as it charges again at them once more. The creature clips them, sending the duo into a painful tumble, but the werewolf recovers quickly as she lands on her feet.

"I have an idea! Drop me off near the wall next chance you get!" Eben yells, hoping the wolf can hear him over the monster.

Daisy doesn't give any acknowledgment she's heard him, but as soon as an opening appears she dashes towards the wall where Eben jumps off.

"Move back Daisy! Let it charge at me!" Eben commands.

Daisy's eyes narrow, looking doubtful as she sizes up Eben's lithe frame.

Eben rolls his eyes. "Just trust me!"

Daisy relents, distancing herself from the half-elf.

When next the monster brays, about to charge at the pale wolf, Eben pelts a stone at its ugly maw. "Over here asshole! Come get it!"

The beast swings its head towards the half-elf, eyes burning with hateful bloodlust. It charges at him with killing intent, eyes wide.

Eben stands his ground, heart pounding as the minotaur approaches. At the last moment, he tumbles away from the lethal-looking horns. The creature crashes into the wall once more, falling to the ground from the concussive force.

Quick on her feet, Daisy lunges at the monster before it has an opportunity to get back up. It howls with a vicious rage as she traps its throat in her jaws, biting down with brutal force.

Eben scrabbles away from the flailing monster but is unable to avoid a brutal punch that sends him careening. As he hits a nearby tree, the world goes dark...

He regains consciousness to the sound of whining. Sitting up with a gasp, he comes face to face with the bloodied snout of Daisy.

The werewolf seems concerned, icy eyes laced with worry. Eben pats her snout clumsily, causing the wolf to jolt in surprise. "I'm fine. I just got knocked around."

He glances over to the cooling body of the minotaur, wincing as he stands. Nothing feels broken, but he's going to be limping for a few days. "Can you get rid of the body? Sheppard will notice that it's been killed differently than how Adder usually does it."

The wolf nods, turning towards the corpse. "Wait, Daisy..."

Daisy pauses, eyes meeting Eben's.

"Thank you...I don't think I could've taken it down without your help." the half-elf admits.

Daisy just lifts her head proudly, licking the blood from her maw. Even without human features, Eben can feel the smugness radiating off the woman.

He smiles, whistling for Fairy. The dappled mare comes running, snuffling concernedly at the scrapes and bruises that paint Eben's skin. The half-elf strokes her mane soothingly before he pulls himself onto her back.

Giving one last nod to the werewolf, he starts making his way back to Adder.

He winces in pain as every bump on the road causes his wounds to smart, but he can't help but grin. It feels good knowing that for once the wounds he earned were in service of a greater good, not stealing or hurting someone. Still, he sighs in relief as he approaches the cave. After all that action, Eben is very ready to rest and recoup his strength.

However, his anxiety spikes as he enters the cave and sees who is in the kitchen.

"Adder!" he exclaims. "You're awake!"

The gorgon smiles, turning to Eben mid-bite of dried meat. "Welcome back Eben, where did you go?"

The half-elf tenses. Adder doesn't need to know what he'd been up to... he needed to leave before the gorgon realized the truth.

"I was riding Fairy, giving her some exercise. Actually, I just came to see if we had any fresh fruit left I could give her..."

Adder nods, looking through their supplies. "We have some oranges left, you can give her one of those."

Eben limps over to the barrel, quickly fishing out an orange before stepping back. "Thanks. I'll be back soon."

He's almost to the mouth of the cave when Adder calls out to him.

"Wait, Eben—" The gorgon slithers closer. "Are you...limping?"

Shit.

The half-elf keeps walking. "I just pulled a muscle. I'm fine"

Adder blocks his path, frowning. "Are you okay? You should sit down."

Eben grips the fruit in his hand harder, trying to keep calm. "I'm fine. Can you move?"

The gorgon doesn't relent. "Your horse can wait Eben. Sit down, I'll bring you a hot compress..."

"I said I'm fine!"

Adder jolts at the tone of Eben's voice, flinching, before his expression changes. The gorgon comes closer, scenting the air. "What did you do? I smell blood!"

"I told you, it's nothing to worry about..."

"What happened Eben? Why aren't you telling me?" Adder growls.

Eben grits his teeth, jaw clenching. "The bells rang. Me and Daisy took care of it."

The gorgon lets out a hiss. "Again you do this?! Eben, you are meant to wake me!"

"You just recovered and your reflexes are slowed, you shouldn't be prancing around in the snow fighting monsters!"

"That's my job," Adder growls, "and yours was to wake me!"

"Oh, now you're giving me orders?" Eben spits. "You want your indebted servant to obey you?"

Adder seems to curl in on himself. "No, I—it's not like that. You know I don't—"

"If it's not like that, then why don't you let me do this?"

Adder thumps his tail on the ground, clenching and unclenching clawed hands. "Father Sheppard didn't send you here to fight my battles."

"Father Sheppard," Eben spits, "nearly strangled me in our last meeting for having the audacity to befriend you. He is using you, Adder!"

The gorgon gapes at the accusation before his face hardens. "You must've done something to provoke him, he is the voice of the pantheon..."

The half-elf wants to scream. "What could I possibly do to provoke that?"

Adder paces, agitated. "Did you forget you tried to rob a crowd of innocent people? I don't blame him for being wary!"

"So what, I made a mistake and now I deserve to be strangled? Cursed? Forced into indefinite servitude?" Eben snarls. "Is that why you take this abuse? Because of what you did to Nǣdre Tor?"

As soon as vitriolic comment leaves his lips, Eben knows he's made a mistake. His heart sinks as he watches hurt splash across the gorgon's face.

The half-elf expects some more anger or even outrage, but it never comes. Instead, the gorgon tenses, retreating to his room rapidly.

Now alone in the cold room, Eben sags, limping to the table. He slumps over, holding his face in his arms.

Why had he said that? It wasn't Adder's fault he had been raised to believe in that horrid man. How could Eben compare what the gorgon had endured to his own selfish mistakes? The redhead sits there, stewing in his self-loathing until he can stand it no longer. But when he goes to make amends, the gorgon is already asleep.

Emotionally and physically wrecked, the half-elf limps to his bed instead. Crawling in, he stares at the ceiling of the dark room solemnly.

He knew now that what he wanted was to belong to Adder, but still, he couldn't shake the feeling that his friend deserved more. Adder deserved better than a pathetic, powerless criminal who didn't know when to bite his tongue. 

Closing his eyes, Eben hugs his thin blanket to his chest.

Maybe Adder would agree.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

375K 20K 28
(LEO - Book 1) There was a boy with a red scarf in the village. Some would say he was weak. He wasn't the type to train with his teachers or may...
40.9K 1.7K 31
✴ Book 2 of "Taming His Mistress" ✴ Everyone has their demons. Some of us choose to keep them hidden. But what happens when your demons come out to p...
17.4K 1.3K 29
VAMPIRE/ROMANCE How does it feel to be caught between humanity and the darkness? For John and his brother Jamie it is a torture. Keeping up the dail...
323K 12.6K 25
*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and now a disgraced prince, goes on a journey...