Not The Teacher's Pet

By ardent_acy

Mr.Hayes was that one literature teacher who had won the hearts of all students at Markins High while Mikaela... More

Author's Note ~ I
1. Early Bird
2. An Awkward Girl
3. The Dark World
4. A Big Mistake
6. The Book Fair
7. Babysitting
8. The Cranky Teacher
9. Cracked
10. Retest Week
11. The Devil's Return
12. Just A Student
13. Losing It
14. Protection
15. A Different Persona
16. Nightmares
17. Hero
18. Off Script
19. Revenge
20. Closer
21. The Lakehouse
22. Reputation
23. Truth or Dare
24. Twisted
25. Black Cars
26. Scheming
27. Connections
28. Reunion
29. The Arrest
30. Déjà vu
31. Shooting Daggers
32. Happy Birthday
33. A Strange Bond
34. Night at the Hotel
35. Rumors Come True
36. Lovers
37. Forever
EPILOGUE
Author's Note ~ II
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Bonus Chapter 3: Wendy's POV

5. Being Generous

288 10 0
By ardent_acy

"My parents... They were killed a year ago and I was kidnapped soon after... Please don't ask me how... I don't want to talk about it"

"It's okay" Mr.Hayes replied.

"I don't know the places I was taken to... It was all so new and everyone spoke in some random language... All I understood was that... I was sold to a couple but then something went wrong and we had to escape... The people who sold me took me back and they left me here... Probably it was because they were waiting for things to cool down as the cops were searching for them..."

"They left you here hoping that no one would find out...?"

"Yes... They thought it would just appear as if I am a normal high school student who got a scholarship... They said that I should stay away from people as much as possible... or else..."

"Or else what?"

"I don't know..." She mumbled.

"It makes sense that they picked a quiet place like Brantown" Mr.Hayes took out his phone, "What are you doing?" She grew alarmed, "Calling the cops. Or even the FBI, this isn't something silly-"

"Please Mr.Hayes... They won't even be able to find my real identity at this point... And if Vernes finds me again... I'll die..." Her eyes welled up. Seeing this, Hayes locked his phone and put it back.

"Mikaela isn't your real identity?"

"I hate that name!" She buried her face in her palms.

All these details were too much even for a grown man like himself and watching the girl break down was painful. He sat her on the couch beside him and gently squeezed her shoulders.

"Ruby... My real name is Ruby..." She mumbled and rubbed her nose.

"That's a lovely name" Hayes whispered, meeting her gaze. They stayed like that for a long time and just as he feared, his masculine instincts were urging him to make a move on the pretty girl next to him.

This was wrong.

This was more wrong than anything in the world.

After all, he was her teacher.

A person meant to help her.

But he couldn't help asking, "So, how old are you exactly?"

"I'll be nineteen this year"

Hayes felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off his chest. If she was a minor, he'd be inviting jail time by keeping her near him. But she wasn't exactly an adult either. Anyway, he was barely 8 years older than her.

He mentally slapped himself for thinking too far.

Hayes got up, "We'll talk in the morning. I'll take you to the guest bedroom, come on" "No... That's fine... I can sleep on the couch..." She replied. He narrowed his eyes on her, "My house, my rules"

Ruby was forced to follow him. Again.

She gasped on seeing the guest bedroom, exactly how rich was this guy?

"Goodnight, Ruby" Mr.Hayes smiled before closing the door for her.

It had been a long time since someone called her name with affection. She wished for this dream to never end.

***

Something licked Ruby's face and she sat up in bed startled to find a huge white dog next to her. The dog was calm and it could barely see due to the tuft of fur over its eyes.

Ruby reached out to pet the dog who showed no resistance, there was a collar around his neck and she read the name as Pearl. The dog wagged its tail harder when Ruby hugged it.

"Pearl? Where are you?" She heard Mr.Hayes whistle for the dog. He pushed open her door, "Ah, gemstone meets gemstone huh" He grinned, "I've made breakfast for both, hurry up"

"Oh, okay" She got out of bed followed by Pearl.

As they entered the kitchen, Ruby noticed a black cat stretching itself on the carpet, "This is Char, inspired by charcoal"

"Do you name all your pets after stones and minerals?" Ruby asked, "Yes. I even had a macaw named Ruby once" He smiled.

Ruby was asked to sit at the table as Hayes served her a plate of buttered toast. This time, she didn't hesitate to dig in.

"The guys you met last night with me," He began, "Jacque and K. They belong to the same world as Vernes. They deal with mainly firearms instead of people though. I've asked them to keep me updated about the whereabouts of Vernes"

"You told them?" Ruby grew pale.

"Don't worry, nobody will be able to hurt you anymore" He assured her calmly while sipping his coffee.

"Mr.Hayes I can't thank you enough for everything you've done... I'll go back to my apartment after breakfast..." she told him.

"Ruby, you're staying here for the weekend. The doctor specifically mentioned to not stress you out for a few days. On Monday, you'll return to class, by then I'll have a special set of tasks for you" Mr.Hayes had a sly grin on his face. She had a bad feeling about this.

After breakfast, Mr.Hayes left to attend his other minor businesses leaving Ruby all alone in the house. By now she had realized that he wasn't a normal English professor. Otherwise, he wouldn't know people who dealt with weapons.

She didn't want to annoy him by asking questions about his personal life. After all, he was still just a teacher to her. Ruby spent her entire day sleeping and petting Pearl, as Char wasn't as friendly as him.

Around midnight, Hayes returned and peeked into the guest room. His heart warmed at the site of Ruby cuddling Pearl on the bed. Her skin had a light golden tinge, and Hayes thought that the light from the bed lamp made her pretty face glow.

This wasn't the first time he was feeling things for a student though. Of course, there were many pretty girls in the school and it was normal for all teachers to feel attracted, but they always made sure to not entertain their feelings by attempting to get close to these students. Hayes reminded himself that he had to keep his distance from the girl as well.

***

"Mr.Hayes, I won't stay here after today. I have to return to my apartment. I can't keep bothering you" Ruby was firm.

"You're not bothering me. I'm merely keeping you safe" He replied, sipping his coffee.

"But I feel like a burden!" She confessed, "Let me at least get a job and pay you back..."

He got up from the couch and walked over to her, "Rule no.2, stop considering yourself a liability" He flicked her forehead. "Your life has been far worse than most kids I know. It's not selfish to enjoy things for yourself"

"So... Can I go back to my apartment tomorrow?" She asked, rubbing her forehead.

"If that's what you really want, I can't stop you" He sighed. Ruby smiled at this, a full smile. It touched her eyes and it revealed her cute dimples.

Hayes was caught in this. He took a moment to distract himself from her, "So, shall we go job hunting? I have got a few places in mind apart from a strip club" He scoffed.

"I already apologized for that..." She mumbled.

"Apologising won't cut it, young lady. Do you know how dangerous it could have been?" He kept lecturing her all the way to the car.

***

Hayes stopped outside the public library and got out with Ruby, "A library is a perfect place to fall in love with literature" he told her.

"But this place seems far too sophisticated for me..."

"You have been recommended here by the best English teacher in Brantown. Of course, they'll hire you" He smirked. Mr.Hayes sure was confident of his caliber, she thought.

And he was right. The librarian at the counter took them to meet the manager to hear Hayes's proposal. The manager was more than eager to accept a bright student as a part-timer.

"The salary won't cover your rent but it will be more than enough for your daily expenses." He told her, "Which means you'll still need my help for the time being or you could get a student loan since you're officially over 18" He told her.

"But I don't have any original ID under my name..." She sighed, "Hmm... That would be a problem" He replied.

"Let's not think about that now. Are you hungry?"

"Yeah"

"Good, you've finally begun admitting these things." He grinned.

They drove to a local eatery and Mr.Hayes talked primarily about her academics, and what she would like to do with her future. Even though a part of his heart was convinced that it was a lunch date, he tried his best to stay ignorant.

"I haven't thought that far in life..." She replied.

"You can start thinking about those things now"

They ate in silence for a few minutes.

"Mr.Hayes, can I ask you something?"

He nodded, "Why did you help me?" She stared at him and he stared back.

"Because I consider you as my responsibility"

"Is that... Uhh... Is that the only reason?" She asked, slightly disappointed.

"Yeah, what else could it be?"

He lied.

Last Edited - 01/06/23

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

298K 8.8K 53
COMPLETED **be aware i wrote this when i was much much younger, if you want to read a better written story then please check out my current book "ch...
71.4K 2.9K 37
You've finally made it to your senior year in highschool. Unfortunately for you, you've been forced to change schools before the start of it, but may...
9.1K 476 43
Two souls, bound by torment and agony, have found each other. Alas, he was her professor, and she was his student. Four years later, they reunite, de...
21.6K 309 38
heya! so I just want to say that this is just a story I wrote on quotev and decided to put it here as well and that's all! enjoy the book Sincerely,M...