Not Perfect Enough

By _emem06_

When we talk about Anais Oku, we use words like academic prodigy, athletic star, and profound genius. There's... More

A/ N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
New Cover
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 12

54 15 53
By _emem06_

This chapter is dedicated to Ifebodee__, to say that you've helped me a lot throughout my writing journey, would be an understatement. I absolutely love love you. Your patience with my madness is absolutely astounding. You're one of the best people in my life. I appreciate you much more than words could cover.

CHIDINMA

I'm pretty. I'm pretty. I'm pretty.

I keep on chanting those words inside my head as I walk over to where Zee is standing with a couple of guys.

I pull my crop top lower to reveal a bit of my cleavage. I don't bother adjusting my jean shorts that length to the middle of my thighs. I'm cold but I won't let anyone know that. I hold myself together like I'm not falling apart inside. Away by Oxlade is playing by our side of the party.

When I get to where Zee is standing, I tap on his right shoulder and he turns to face me. He smiles brightly as he takes me in. Then his smile instantly turns into a frown.

"Why would you wear this? Aren't you cold?" he asks with an agitated tone, and the guys talking to him take the hint to leave us alone.

"It's fashion, Zee. Chill out," I say casually, dismissing the matter.

"You can't be serious," says Zee, rolling his eyes at me as he folds his arms.

"I am. Besides, have you tasted the suya here? It's to die for!" I exclaim, changing the topic of discussion, and his eyes bounce to where the food table is placed.

"Really?" he asks, turning his attention back to me.

"Yeah, come on. Let's go!" I wrap my arm around his and pull him over there.

He glances at me warily, and I give him a reassuring smile. He uses a toothpick to take out one of the sauced meats and stuff it into his mouth.

"It's actually really good," he says to himself.

"I know. Kere really knows the good stuff," I say, and his features harden.

"Kere," he calls out the name like it's a poison.

"Is something wrong?" I ask him, and he shakes his head.

"No, don't mind me," he says in dismissal, then puts on a lighthearted smile.

"So—"

"Hi, guys!" A voice interrupts me mid-way.

The person comes to stand in the middle of Zee and I, without any excuse whatsoever. No surprise when I see that it's Kris. She's intrusive like that.

"Hey, Kris," I say with a nice smile, and she swiftly turns to face me with her hair whipping Zee's face. I see him frown at the gesture. I can't help but chuckle a bit at the expression he made afterward.

"Chi! How are you?" She pulls me in for a hug.

She releases me from the hug a few seconds later, and I take in her outfit. She's wearing a much more revealing outfit than I am. Which comprises of a handless bra-top and a pair of shorts that barely cover her ass.

And she looks so comfortable in what she's wearing.

"I'm good. This is your first party here in Ridge Town, how're you liking it?" I ask, and her smile broadens.

"It's nice, fun even. Everyone here looks so different than they do at school!" she exclaims as she glances at Zee for a bit.

"But I have a question," she says, coming closer to me. "Who are those people?" she whispers, referring to the Southerners, and I instantly rear back in disgust.

I hate those people. They are so icky and tacky. They prove that every single time. Like today, they wanted to start a fight. That is so barbaric of them. I can't stand them. I can't believe Zee allowed them to stay in the same vicinity as us. Being reminded of their presence just irks me.

"Those are the icky southerners. They are poor, barbaric, slimy—"

"That's enough, Chidinma!" Zee snaps at me all of a sudden.

"What? What's wrong?" I ask him, moving closer to him.

"Can you not talk about them like that?" he says and I make a puzzled expression. 

What does he mean by that? Is he taking their side? No, Zee can't do that. He's not a Southern lover.

"I don't understand what you're saying," I tell him, clearly confused.

"Just- just forget about it," he mutters, then walks away.

"Zee!" I call out but it's too late, he's already lost in the crowd.

What was that all about?

"Is something wrong with him?" Kris asks me.

"I don't know. He's just been so distant lately and I—" I stop as I realize who I'm talking to.

I don't really know her. I can't start blabbing everything about my life to her.

"Tell me," she urges me, seeming to be very intrigued in what I have to say.

"It's nothing," I dismiss as a group of people come by the table to get snacks.

"I know you don't trust me yet and that's why you won't complete your sentence. But you don't have to tell me anything, because I already know everything," she states cleverly.

I grab her elbow and pull her to a secluded part of the party.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask when we're alone, and she rips her arm from my grip.

"I meant what I said," she sasses me, folding her arms.

"Meaning?" I drag out, waiting for her to explain what she meant.

"I know that you're in love with Zee!" she practically yells. I quickly cover her mouth with my left palm, then check if anyone around heard her.

"Don't say that out loud!" I whisper-yell at her before removing my palm from her mouth.

"You say that like it's a secret. Everyone knows about your feelings for Zee . . . well, except for Zee himself," Kris says bluntly, and my heart skips a beat.

Really? Everyone knows? Am I that obvious?

"That can't be true," I whisper.

"But it is, and if you don't do something about what you feel for him, trust me, someone will steal him away." She says, and her voice drops an octave lower at the last part.

"But—"

"Will you stop acting so naive?" she snaps at me, and I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion.

"I don't understand what you mean." I say defeatedly.

"You like Zee, so why don't you get him?" she says like it's a simple thing.

"It's not that easy. He treats me like his sister and—"

"Then make him realize that you're not his sister!" she cuts me off.

"How can I do that?" I ask.

"I'll help you," says Kris mischievously.

CHRISTY

"Good evening, ma. I'm looking for Anais, I'm her friend," I say to a dark, taller, older version of my best friend, who is probably Anais' mother.

She looks at me skeptically, as though I just told her the biggest lie in existence.

"We're supposed to go to a party and I told her that I'll meet her here so that we'll go together," I explain, and she still looks like she doesn't believe me.

"I know about this party, but Chinonso didn't tell me about a friend," she says.

"But I am her friend. Her best friend as a matter of fact." I smile brightly. The woman widens her eyes in shock before widening the door so that I can enter the house.

"Chinonso! Come down now!" she yells, leading me into the living room.

The house is really neat. The house still looks and feels homely, even though there aren't any pictures hung on the walls or proof of life forms staying in the house. I don't know why I feel very welcomed just standing here.

"Mummy, what is it?" I hear Anais drawl before I lay my eyes on her. She stands out elegantly, wearing a handless plum-colored dress that lengths to her knees with a pair of white slippers. There's a small white bag draped around her left shoulder that tidies up her look.

"Anais!" I scream, skipping over to her to engulf her in a tight hug.

She doesn't reciprocate, but at least she doesn't push me away either. I hold close to her for a few seconds, inhaling her flowery fragrance. She pushes me off of her with a frown on her face.

"Don't hug me again," she states, and I roll my eyes.

"Anyways, you look beautiful. Like really really beautiful!" I gush at her appearance, and she manages to give me a tight-lipped smile.

"You too," she says dryly, referring to my own attire as she walks away from me.

I feel like it's a half-hearted compliment since I'm wearing a black top with crazy baggy jeans, and black slippers. There's nothing special about my outfit. It's okay at best.

"Mummy, we're going to the party now, so bye," Anais says to her mother, who is standing at the middle of the living room.

"How will you get there?" Her mom asks her.

"We'll find a bike at the junction." Anais replies casually, and her Mom walks over to her, placing her hands on Anais' shoulders.

"You're so silly. I called Zayyad a while ago and he'll be here any second to take you kids to the party." Her mom says, smiling like the most happiest person in the world.

Anais' expression is the exact opposite of her Mother's. She slowly removes her Mother's hands from her shoulders, and I can clearly see the angry fumes coming out from Anais' nose and ears.

"Why would you do that?" Anais asks her Mother with a pissed-off tone.

"Oh honey, don't act like that. This is a good opportunity for you two—"

"Do not complete that sentence! Nothing! Nothing will ever happen between Zayyad and I, how many times must I specify that to you?" Anais yells at her mother, looking very frustrated.

"You don't know anything," her Mother just says, folding her arms.

Right on cue, the sound of a car parking outside the house tears through the air. The headlights switch off as we hear the sound of a car's door opening. Only a few seconds after that, a knock on the front door is heard.

Anais' mother giddily walks over to the door and opens it to welcome Zayyad into the house.

"Evening," Zayyad says curtly to her as he steps into the house.

His eyes land on me as they size me up from head to toe. He looks unimpressed at the sight of me, and I shrink into myself in shame. I see his eyes casually stroll to where Anais is standing and they draw into narrow slits. Anais reciprocates his glare with an even harder one as they enter an intense silent conversation with their eyes.

They stay like that for a few seconds before Anais' mother breaks them up.

"How about you guys get going now?" she suggests, and both kids stagger back as if the spell they were on just broke.

"Sure!" I exclaim, walking over to door, and slipping past Zayyad.

"Let's get going, Anna," I hear Zayyad say to Anais.

"After you," she replies curtly as they leave the house.

Zayyad unlocks his big jeep, and I quickly open the backdoor and take a seat, closing the door. I'm surprised as Anais opens the door I just closed and slides in next to me.

"You're supposed to sit at the front!" I whisper-yell at Anais.

"I'm not sitting at the front with that Demon!" she whisper-yells back at me.

"You're—"

"Quiet!" A deep manly voice snaps at me. No surprise that it's Zayyad as he gets in the car and starts the engine.

"Who are you referring to?" Anais attacks Zayyad.

Zayyad doesn't deem her with a response as he begins to drive at full speed with no prior warning. Both mine and Anais' backs slam against the car's leather chair at the Zayyad's sudden action.

"Could you drive any faster?" Anais yells out in sarcasm to Zayyad, and I don't miss the smirk on his face through the rear view mirror.

Zayyad takes her words to heart as he increases the car speed and I hold onto my seat belt hard.

"Fuck! Zayyad, are you crazy?" Anais yells at the boy, grabbing a hold of his chair head.

He ignores her again and keeps on driving faster. This time I can't take it, it's like my heart is about to jump out of my chest.

"Zayyad, please just go a bit slower." I plead with a low voice, hoping that he heard me.

I'm not sure he does though, cause he still keeps on going at the same speed.

"I swear to God, if you don't drive slower, I'm calling Daddy Aminu and reporting you!" Anais threatens, and it's only then that he slows down the car a bit.

It isn't a normal car speed in the slightest way but at least, I don't feel like my spirit is about to leave my body.

I turn to look at him through the rear view mirror and I see him staring back at me. He doesn't shift his gaze in shame of being caught, instead he looks deeper at me, and I'm the one to look away in shame.

Oh, my God!

What is going on with him? Worse, with me? Why was he looking at me like that? Or is he upset that I told Anais about our conversation? He can't actually know that, right? Right?

The rest of the ride down to the forest is quiet. When we finally get there, Anais is the first one to get out of the car. I see her reapply her lip gloss through the car window. I'm tempted  to look at Zayyad, to check if he's still looking at me but I get the feeling that there will be no need for that since I'm a hundred percent sure that he's actually watching me.

I attempt to come down from the car next. Keyword being attempt because it seems like the seat belt refuses to unbuckle. I attempt to rip it off but nothing works.

I'm surprised to see Anais by my open door in the next few seconds.

"What's wrong?" she asks me.

"The seat belt is stuck. But no need to worry, you can go on without me. I'll meet you at the party." I say, dismissively. She stares at me warily for a few seconds before humming and disappearing into the forest.

I open my small purse and take out my button Nokia phone. I turn on the flashlight and point it at the area where the seat belt buckle is. I'm about to unclasp it, when a cold hand covers mine.

I immediately yelp in shock before I realize that it's Zayyad. He's not looking at me, instead, his focus is on the seat belt. His cold hands caress the bare skin of my stomach and I shiver. A few seconds after that, the buckle is unclasped and he backs away from me, so that I can step down.

Once I'm out, he still stands close to me, unmoving.

"Um, thank you for that . . . and for the ride," I mumble awkwardly, not having enough courage to look at his beautiful face.

He moves away from me and closes the door that I just came out through, then does what I least expect. He slams me against the closed door and places his hands on either side of my shoulders.

"Um . . ." I can't seem to find the right words to say.

"You disobeyed me," he says in a cold tone and shivers run down my spine.

He knows.

"I didn't mean to. Anais wanted to know and when I didn't tell her, she got upset with me. She was giving me the silent treatment and I couldn't bear it, so I told her. I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to, but I had to. It's Anais, if I hadn't, then she would've—"

"Shut up," he says, cutting off my rant, and I immediately do so.

"Just one thing. One little thing I told you to do. And you disobeyed me," he says with a pissed-off tone, and I gulp down on saliva as I turn my gaze to the ground.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" he yells, slapping his hand against the car window, and I flinch.

"Look at me," he says in a much calmer tone this time. My eyes slowly shift from the ground up to his face and land on his eyes.

"I'm sorry," I whisper softly. Even in the dark, his gaze still manages to pierce my soul.

"Sorry won't get you out of this," he says, and I scrunch my face in confusion.

What does he mean by that?

"I don't—"

I'm not able to complete my sentence as he pushes closer onto me and I feel his body flush against mine.

Oh, my gosh.

"Zayyad . . ." I find myself at a loss for words.

"What will be your punishment, my little toy?" he says more to himself than me, using his left hand to caress my bare neck.

"I don't know," I whisper as cool air slaps my face.

Both of my hands start to feel heavy, courtesy of the phone and purse I'm holding on to. I feel like my palms are sweating, and that any moment from now, the two items will slip from my grasp.

Right on cue, Zayyad uses his free hand to grab my purse and phone and he places them at the top of his car. He returns his hand back to the side of my shoulder.

"How about we finish the conversation we were having the other day? Mhm?" he suggests.

Everywhere is hot. Everything is burning inside me.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I mutter, barely aware of the words as they tumble out of my mouth.

"Why do you keep on lying? I hate lies." He grits out.

"I'm- I'm not-"

"Oh please," he drawls. His other hand slides down to my waist and he slips it around the back. He pushes me up against him, and our fronts press against each other.

I can feel blood rush through my cheeks due to embarrassment.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

He's so tall. Too tall. And huge. I'm so tiny against him.

"No, you're not," he tells me.

He still doesn't let me go and he doesn't say anything either. I can't understand what's going here. Why is he holding me like this? Or does he like me?

"Zayyad, why are you here?" I find myself asking him.

He doesn't answer my question.

"Why did you drive us here?" I ask him. He still isn't answering my question. He's just staring at me. As though I'm an equation that he's trying to solve.

"You could've declined when Mrs. Oku called you. You could've stayed home, why did you choose to come here? Why did you choose to drive us? Is it because of Anais? Are you doing it to spite her? Well, if you are, I'm clearly not Anais, you can go and—"

"Shut up," he cuts me off. "Anais is not even among the top hundred things I bother myself about," he says matter-of-factly. 

"Then why?" I whisper. "Was it to punish me for not listening to you? Of course it was. That's why you were speeding! I begged you to stop but you didn't listen. You just wanted to scare me! Why did you even help me with the seat belt? Why are you holding me? Why are doing all of this? I don't understand."

He's just staring at me. He just keeps on staring silently. Why is he like this? Is this what Anais was trying to warn me about?

"Talk to me," I urge him.

"Don't tell me you're as stupid as you look," is the only thing he says with his deep voice.

His hand on my neck moves up to my right cheek and he cups that part of my face with his palm. I foolishly lean into his hold. It takes me a few seconds to recover myself before I turn my face to the other direction, leaving that side bare for the winds to slap.

"You just insulted me," I say, my eyes drawing into slits. I'm not nearly as good as him or Anais when it comes to glaring so it's quite obvious that he's finding my expression amusing.

"Did I?" he teases.

"I should go. Anais is waiting," I say, trying to disentangle myself from him.

He doesn't let me go.

"Zayyad, Anais wouldn't . . ." I trail off, hoping he understands what I'm trying to say.

But he just stares. Why is he just staring at me? I like that he's paying attention to me for once but it's too much. Why is it this so intense? Why is it like this? Everything is just too much. His stare, his hold, his words. I didn't think being with him would be this complicated.

"I have to go," I say a bit firmer, and this time he presses closer to me and the small gap that was between us disappears.

God, my small breasts are pressing against his hard chest. This is crazy! Is he feeling it? Does he like it? Our hips are pushing into each other. Any closer, and I'll feel him down there.

"Zayyad—"

"Ah ah na!" A voice suddenly says and I jerk with surprise.

Zayyad flinches a bit, but his hold on me doesn't so much as waver. He doesn't even turn around to check who the person is.

I hear the person footsteps get closer until the person comes into view. Right then, I wished that the earth would open up and swallow me whole. It's Ife, and he looks very intrigued in the current position Zayyad and I are in.

I mean, why wouldn't he be? From an outsider's perspective, we probably look as if we're having sex. Zayyad is so close to me and I'm leaning into him. God, everything about this situation is so wrong.

"Wonders shall never end!" Ife exclaims, slow clapping. Still, Zayyad doesn't let me go.

"See this small girl oh!" Ife stands by our side. My eyes are cast down in shame, and I'm sure Zayyad looks the exact opposite of me right now.

"Guy, I no know say na children dey sweet you. I been think say nothing dey sweet you at all sef." Ife says to Zayyad, laughing uncontrollably.

Zayyad is still as unmoving as a statue. Why isn't he doing anything to stop this?

"Out of all the girls in our set, all the girls in the set before us, all the girls in the set under us; none of them are enough for you? It's the one that's still a child that's sweeting you to touch. On top that, it's na Anais sidekick you chose!" Ife says in between loud laughs and fear grips me.

What if someone hears him and comes here?

Wait a sec! Why am I even worried? This is what I've always wanted. But Anais . . .

"And you—" Ife says, referring to me. I turn around to face him. "Let Anais catch you. None of your small set boys do you, it's your senior that you want, abi?" Ife says to me with some kind of disgusted look on his face

"Wait oh! Abi it's you that your father use to drink anyhow!" Ife places his hands on his waist. "Eyaa, now I understand the situation. So na hookup you don dey do to provide for yourself, abi?" Ife says with mock pity, and it's only then that Zayyad lets go of me, deciding to face Ife head-on.

Between the two guys, Zayyad is obviously the tallest and the most muscular. But Ife has a good perfect swimmers' body, and I've seen him in multiple fights before. He's very skilled in breaking people's bones. Zayyad . . . I've never actually see Zayyad fighting before. He doesn't even engage in anything physical at school.

Would he be able to beat Ife? Or vice versa?

"Repeat what you just said," Zayyad says to Ife.

Ife staggers back a little bit with a surprised look on his face. He masks it off with a small laugh.

"As I no won con repeat am inko, you go beat me?" Ife says, trying to rile up Zayyad.

"Repeat. What. You. Just. Said." Zayyad emphasizes each word, now looking lethal as he takes slow steps towards Ife.

"Oboi, I don already talk am once. I no go repeat anything, bayii!" Ife starts to speak louder, now preparing for a fight as he pulls up a stance.

Zayyad stops on his tracks, giving Ife a once-over. He tsks dismissively at the boy in front of him.

"Get out of this place," Zayyad says to him casually.

"Ah! You won pursue me? No be you get land oh!" Ife argues.

"I won't repeat myself again," Zayyad tells Ife.

"Oya na. You think say I won even fight you sef? Make una continue. When her Majesty hear this one, no talk say I no warn una oh." Ife says, raising his hands in surrender before strolling back into the forest.

Zayyad turns back to me once Ife is out of hearing range.

"Let's go," he simply says, walking over to me.

Is he going to pick up from where he left off?

He comes closer to me and I think he's going to hug me but he raises both of his hands over me and brings them down after a second. He shoves my phone and purse into my hands, and I mentally facepalm myself.

I mutter a 'Thank you' to him, which he ignores. He starts making his way into the forest and I shadow him closely.

The party is at full swing when we get there, but it's divided. There are people at each side of the fire, not crossing over to either side. I'm confused.

"Northerners," I hear Zayyad mutter beside me.

Oh, my God, he's right. There are Northerners here. What are they doing here?

"Christy!" A voice calls out, and I'm engulfed in a tight hug seconds after.

The person holds me tight for a few seconds before letting go of me.

"You made it!" Meenah exclaims, grinning from ear-to-ear, and I can't help but mirror her expression.

"Yeah, I did. But I'm a bit confused . . ." I trail off, referring to the party.

Her eyes scrunch in confusion before she gets my question and facepalms herself.

"Yeah, yeah. Apparently the Northerners are throwing a party the same time as us. Ife actually wanted to start a fight, but guess what?" she asks me in excitement.

"I can't guess, tell me," I whine.

"Ezra Bankole happened!" she practically yells, and I gasp dramatically.

For a second, I even forget that Zayyad is standing next to me. I turn to look at him but I see him already walking away.

"Hey, why did you come the same time as senior Zayyad?" Meenah asks me, and I shake my head dismissively.

"He drove me and Anais here," I reply. "So, what about Ezra Bankole?" I change the topic of discussion.

"Yes, yes! He came in just in time and stopped the fight!" she grabs one of my arms.

"How na?" I ask impatiently.

"He spoke so cooly and he was like, why can't we just share this place? Christy, you should've seen him in action. He's so cute and calm. He handled the situation so well. Forget that he's a Northerner but damn, I would get down with him any day!" She winks suggestively.

"Don't say that!" I say cautiously, slapping her wrist.

"As if you won't do the same thing if you ever get the opportunity to!" she retorts, and I roll my eyes.

All of a sudden, I start to feel like someone is watching me. I turn to my left-hand side to check, and truly, Zayyad, who is resting his back against a tree, is staring at me.

Why is he acting so obvious? Is anyone looking?

". . . pretty!" I hear Meenah say and I raise one of my brows in question.

"I said you look so pretty!" she repeats, and I smile.

"You too," I tell her. She gushes and starts to tell me about her gown.

"Is there any food here?" I cut in, and she nods.

"Come on, I'll show you," she says, grabbing my hand and pulling me away. All while I still feel someone's heavy gaze on me.

A/N

For all of you wondering what you just read, I don't think I have anything to say, because I'm still stunned myself.

Sweet Sweet Chi-Chi, even sweeter Christy. 😔

These girls have no idea what they're getting themselves into. Hopefully, they won't run mad on top man. 😉😂

Anyways, what do you guys think about Zayyad? Can we trust him?

General thoughts on the chapter?

This next chapter is going to be 🔥🔥

Till then Sha. 😌❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5M 201K 78
"You told them you love me ,huh?" He asks with a raised eyebrows, jaw hardened and eyes narrowed at the shy girl he has hated all his life. She was a...
3.3K 422 15
You woke up in a mysterious place, heaven for all you care, but you didn't hear any angelic voices singing praise. You would wonder how you got there...
632 44 21
Their point of views I got married off without my consent She had no idea what she was getting into I'm just 18 I'm just 22 He's annoying and caring...
23.1K 158 66
Huma Adelakun ventures out into the world to make a life for herself despite her handicap, the words of a dear friend illuminating her way. There is...