Scared of Happy {Hailee Stein...

By carterradams

A band. A drummer. A singer. Chaos. Cheating. Songs. Romance. Lovers. Heartbreak. Family. Lies. Crying. A st... More

~Intro~
one: pilot
two: pet clinic
three: studio feels
four: VMA's part I
five: VMAs part II
six : a simple post
seven: Sacramento show
eight: family dinner
nine: properly
ten: late night talking
eleven : unexpected call
twelve : dressed in black
thirteen : tears or the rain
fourteen : sweet but painful
fifteen: can't control
seventeen: again and again
eighteen: down to 3
nineteen: getting breakfast
twenty: more than
twenty-one: song release
twenty-two: blonde
twenty-three: "just friends"
twenty-four: in betweens
twenty-five: sweet till is wasn't
twenty-six : home visit
twenty-seven: all in a instant
twenty-eight : happy or sad
twenty-nine : catching my breath part I
thirty: catching my breath part II
thirty-one: everything's good
thirty-two: official
thirty-three: something in the water
thirty-four: rebrand
thirty-five: these in betweens
thirty-six: stress and cigarettes
thirty-seven : chills
thirty-eight: award show
thirty-nine: addiction or coping
fourty : first time
fourty-one: one thing leads to another
fourty-two: two hearts, two bleeds
fourty-three: couple of kids
fourty-four: swirling mind, racing heart
fourty-five: from the source part I
fourty-six: from the source part II
fourty-seven: two words
fourth-eight: where were you in the morning
fourty-nine: track 11
fifty: special night part I
fifty one: special night part II
To Be Continued...

sixteen: Nova

2.6K 83 15
By carterradams

(Lindsey Morgan as Nova)

{2 Years Ago}

"You're awake?" I say leaning against the door frame, crossing my arms over my chest. The all too familiar olive skinned girl turned her head over her shoulder locking our eyes. My lips keep a small smile looking at her but when she doesn't meet me with one and turns her head my smile falls and a low sigh escapes my lips. "Alright what gives Nova? You've been different for the past couple of days."

"We just had sex and that's what you say?" Nova asks, a scuffed chuckle escaping her lips. I nod and drop my head pushing myself up from the doorframe and walk further into the kitchen, over to where the girl is. I gently slide into the bar stool beside her, seeing her phone in front of her with a beer. My eyes flick between the two before looking at her side profile, sinking my teeth into my bottom lip.

"What's wrong?" I ask, watching her brown eyes close for a second then reopen as she adjusts her position. My eyes watch her closely tilting my head. My gaze softens as she picks up her hand and runs it through her hair. "Baby?"

"I got the call," Nova whispers and my brow furrows reaching over and placing my hand over her hand, slipping my fingers in between her's. Our fingers interlock and I watch her brown eyes glance down to our hands. "I get deployed tomorrow evening."

I close my eyes and nod my head slowly. I turn my body towards the woman and reach up my other hand, beginning to run circles slowly on the girl's back.

"They said it wouldn't be this quick. They said-" I nod and move my hand up and across her shoulders before coming back and moving her hair gently out of her face and tucking a strand behind her ear. As soon as I do the girl turns her head towards me, locking our eyes instantly. Tears well into her eyes as I tilt my head and I bite my lip nodding slowly. My wife moves forward swiftly and releases our fingers from one another and engulfed me in a hug. I feel her sink into me as I hurriedly hug her myself, feeling her squeeze even tighter.

"It's going to be okay," I whisper closing my eyes.

"Y/n... We were supposed to have more time before I was deployed-" Nova whispers and I nod. "They told me at least 5 months. Not almost a month after we got married."

I stay silent, pulling away gently but not too far. Instead when we pull away I rest my head against the girl's forehead and reach up my hands cupping her face in them. I look at her seeing her eyes closed, feeling tears slip through them anyways.

"We got this. You got this-" I pause and rub my thumbs back and forth against her cheeks. Her eyes slowly opening. There I meet her sad, teary brown eyes. I give a small smile and nod against her forehead while keeping our eyes locked. "I love you Nova Brooks. Forever."

"I love you Y/n Brooks. Forever."

A low sigh escapes my lips as the sound of the bell rings at the front door. I blink and glance to it as Aunt May hurries out from the kitchen with the pizza boxes and paper plates. She sets them on the coffee table that's up by the tv before hurrying towards the door.

"Is that Hailee?" Penny asks with excitement in her voice. My head turns from the door and to Penny who's giving me these puppy dog exited eyes as I shrug giving a small smile. I cup my hands together and look back towards the door as Aunt May opens it and there I see a smiling, nervous looking Hailee. I bite my lip and look away and around the living room.

We had just finished reorganizing to give the room a more cozy, roomy feel. Blankets and pillows covered the floor and the comfy big L shape couch that I'm currently sat on. The coffee table was moved to the tv so it was out of our way. It's usually where all the food and snacks sit. There's a tiny table at both ends of the couch for our drinks to sit.

"Now now. Take your jacket off. Set your purse there and take off your shoes. Make yourself at home," Aunt May speaks warmly, welcoming. I look back at the door seeing Hailee now inside with the door close. The image of Penny running past me and to Hailee causes me to stand up walking a bit towards Hailee.

"Oh- Hey Penny," Hailee giggles as the young girl wraps her arms around the singer. I stand back a bit, keeping distance watching as the door interact. It was cute seeing the way Penny interacted with Hailee. And how Hailee was so open to Penny. My lips curve upwards into a smile.

Penny and Hailee pull away as Aunt May walks away and looks at me. Eyeing me before gesturing towards Hailee with her head as she heads to the kitchen. I nod and look to Hailee who's being led towards me by Penny.

"Y/n, where is Hailee sitting?" Penny asks and I soft chuckle escapes my lips, looking at Hailee before back at the young girl.

"I think that's really up for Hailee to decide don't you think?" I ask, with a smile. Penny thinks about it. Her eyes switching from me to Hailee before nodding and tossing up her hands.

"Okay yeah I guess so. Can you sit with me though? The blankets on the ground are really comfy and the pillows. You'll have to take off your shoes though," Penny said glancing down at Hailee's feet. I chuckle slightly and cross my arms over my chest as Hailee nods, walks back to the door and slips off her shoes. I look away from her and to Penny giving her a look. She looks back at me and winks and a confused look smears over me.

"Alright, so what movies are we watching?" Hailee asks walking back over to us. I turn my head towards her. She wears a warm smile. Her eyes looking between Penny and I as Penny reaches forward and takes Hailee's hand once more. We all get to the blankets on the floor. I gently smile and stand there, shoving my hands into my sweatpants pockets as Penny and Hailee sit down on the floor.

My lips curve into a smile, gently watching the two interact. That's when my eyes take in Hailee. She wore some rock band t-shirt and black sweatpants. Her hair was down. There was nothing done to it. It was natural. She looks beautiful. She always does.

"Hey Y/n, can you-" I tear my eyes from Hailee and to Aunt May who has loads of stuff in her hands. My eyes go wide and I hurry over, taking some of the stuff from her. "Thank you dear. Let's set it on the table and maybe move it so we don't have us blocking the tv when someone wants something."

I nod as we walk to the table in front of the tv. We set everything down and then pick the table up and move it off to the side. Mainly back by the couch. It was best there.

"Alright. Penny, Hailee. Get something to eat and I'll put in a movie. How's a Disney movie for the first one sound?" Aunt May asks as I set up the snacks and drinks better, more organized as a cheerful loud "yes" escapes into the air. A slight chuckle escapes my lips as I open the pizza boxes.

"Oh, you've never seen this? Really? This was a classic back in the day. How could you have not seen this?" Nova asks as she shoves a piece of popcorn into her mouth as a chuckle escapes my lips shrugging. I sit down on the couch, down next to her. She moves her body slightly to where she picks up her legs and places them over my lap before holding out the bowl of popcorn. I take a handful and she takes it back, as both of our eyes going back to the screen.

"I didn't really watch tv growing up. I was always at the hospital with my parents until my uncle finally told them he would watch me. Even then I was drumming and playing outside with the neighborhood kids," I say shrugging popping a piece of popcorn into my own mouth.

"Okay that's fair. But your Aunt sets up the movie thing and you're just not seeing this movie?"

I nod. "She only does it when something sad has happened..."

Out of the corner of my eye I see Nova's head turn towards me. I bite my lip and turn my head towards her, our eyes locking.

"What happened?" Her voice lowers and I shrug.

"Not sure. No one's telling me anything."

"No one's telling you anything? They do know you're not a kid anymore right?"

I nod and stick a piece of popcorn into my mouth, beginning to chew.

"It's best just to let it go Nova. There's family secrets. Aunt May's best coping skill is movie nights. Snacks, pizza, movies, comfort. She'll tell me when she's ready."

"Y/n?" I jump and turn my head locking eyes with Hailee who gives me questioning eyes.

"Oh, where's the kool-aid?" Penny asks causing both Hailee and I to look at the kid.

"Kool-aid? Did she just ask about kool-aid? Kiddo i put out soda and you want kool-aid?" Aunt May speaks from the couch. A chuckle coming out as she speaks. A small smile escapes my lips as I look at the kid and nod.

"I'll get you some," I say. "Blue or red?"

"Blue!" Penny exclaims grabbing her plate of pizza and chips. I nod and glance at Hailee briefly before walking away. I head to the kitchen, picking up my hand and running it through my hair. My eyes felt heavy. Not in a heavy tired way but heavy...upset. Sad. Something just felt off.

Inside the kitchen I head to the fridge and open it up. My eyes scan it thoroughly looking for kool-aid when my eyes land on the various of beers lined up neatly. I stare at them, pausing hesitating. My mind rolling with thoughts that concerned me. Scared me. Resulting in me closing my eyes and squeezing them together tightly.

"Oh someone's having a drink I see. Did you steal that from your parents?" Nova's voice asks as I glance over my shoulder, locking eyes with her own.

I low smile inches to my lips placing the beer to my lips taking a sip. I place the beer down feeling Nova walk up beside me. I look down and slide the beer bottle over to her, keeping my eyes on it.

"We promised we would stop drinking," Nova whispers, wrapping her fingers around the bottle. Both of us now looking at it.

"I know we did. Two drunken idiots who thought they could save the world," I whisper hearing a soft chuckle from Nova.

"We were dumb high school kids Y/n. But weve grown and still growing-" Nova pauses pushing the beer bottle away from the both of us. My eyes tear from the bottle and up to her eyes. A reassuring look smears her face. Her eyes bright and with empathy. "We promised we wouldn't run to alcohol after time something comes up. We need better coping skills. Mine's boxing and yours is..."

"Drumming," I say for her as she nods turning her body towards me ultimately causing me to follow her. We face one another now. Her arms wrap around my neck as my arms wrap around her waist, pulling her closer towards me. "Okay. No more alcohol. That means no more when you're deployed. And none for me when you're deployed."

"Alright deal. We do boxing and drumming from now on."

"Hey! What's taking so long? The movie's waiting for you!" Penny's voice rings out causing me to jump and back up feeling the young kid slightly push me out of the way and reach into the fridge herself. Instantly she grabs a hold of a blue kool-aid before looking up at me. "What are you doing standing here?"

"N-Nothing," I stutter shaking my head. Penny rolls her eyes and motions for me to follow. I close the fridge door as Penny exits the kitchen. I spin around and rub my hand over my face. My legs carry me back into the living room where all the lights have now been shut off. The only light being of the big flat screen tv.

Aunt May sits in the corner of the couch. Pizza in hand with a handful of chips. Her drink consisting of Diet Coke none the less. I walk past her and walk around Penny and Hailee who are both sat on the floor. Penny is getting situated as Hailee gently lends a helping hand. As I carefully pass Hailee, she glances up at me and our eyes lock. I give a small smile seeing her lips form upwards. It felt like a very long time had pass before I finally head over to the table full of food and drinks.

"How does Tangled sound?" Aunt May asks as I grab a couple pieces of pizza and set them on a paper plate. I glance around and grab a handful of Doritos putting them on top of the pizza before grabbing a plastic cup and grabbing the Dr.Pepper.

"That's my favorite Disney movie mama!" Penny exclaims as the sound of the movie begins to play. I gather my stuff and head to the couch, sitting on the opposite end of the couch.

All eyes were on the screen. All of us eating. It was nice actually. Cozy. But I knew it would be. This was Aunt May's thing. It's how she coped. And it really rubs off on everyone who ends up coming.

<<<<<>>>>>

I jump watching the tv shaking my head. I adjust the pillow I had grabbed and have been cuddling ever since we started this movie.

"How does a 10 year old fall asleep to a horror movie?" Hailee asks in a whisper, getting up from the ground and sitting next to me on the couch. I adjust a bit in my position as I look down to see in fact Penny fast asleep. A quiet chuckle escapes my lips.

"She loves horror movies," I whisper back.

"I figured when she suggested the movie. Does your Aunt let her watch that stuff?" Hailee asks as both of us glance down to the other end of the couch seeing Aunt May also fast asleep.

"Sometimes. Just depends-" I pause a moment and look at Hailee now. "I'm surprised either one of them lasted the longest they have. Usually they're out within the first 3 movies."

"Well it's... 2:30 in the morning," Hailee informs me and my eyes go wide as I glance away from her and to the tv screen. Out of the corner of my eye I see Hailee look too. When she does though the music in the movie rises and within seconds both Hailee and I jump. A yelp escaping Hailee's lips as I feel her wrap her arms around mine and her head lay on my shoulder.

Hesitantly I glance over to her and smile gently. A low chuckle escaping my closed lips causing her to pull away slowly. Their our eyes lock.

"Sorry," she whispers, flickering her eyes back and forth between mine. I nod but then shake my head from side to side.

"It's okay. Promise," I say, adding. "Thank you for answering my text and coming. I know the other day was-"

"I told you I wasn't going anywhere. We may fight and disagree but I meant what I said Y/n," Hailee whispers, cutting me off. "I think we should talk, really talk but maybe not with your family sleeping next to us."

"Talk?"

Hailee nods. "You were spacing out earlier. Penny slightly mentioned you were just staring in the fridge." Concern filled the girl's voice as I briefly look away, picking up my shoulders then dropping them, letting go of the tight grip I just noticed I had on the pillow.

"It's nothing."

"Like it was nothing when I told you about me and my ex?"

I put my attention back on the girl and raise a brow. A sad look flushes over her face. Her hazel eyes tearing from me. Silence filling the air between us.

"Hailee-"

A noise escapes from Aunt May causing me to stop talking. Both Hailee and I look to the older woman who sits up on the couch. She rubs her eye and looks towards us, smiling gently before looking to her daughter.

"Oh. She's asleep," Aunt May says quietly, pointing at Penny. "Hey Y/n will you-"

"Yeah I got her," I say, carefully and gently getting up off of the couch, setting the pillow I held in the spot I was just sitting in. I walk to the side of Penny on the ground and drop down, gently but swiftly taking the blanket off of her. She doesn't move as I do and once it's off I pick her up carefully and stand up with her in my arms.

I glance over my shoulder to Hailee who nods giving me a small smile as I nod back. I head towards the stairs with Penny in my arms. She was light, thankfully. Up the stairs was a little difficult considered I was carrying Penny bridal style. But eventually I got to the top and to Penny's room.

Gently I set her down on the bed and took her blanket placing it over her. I smile gently looking down at her, leaning down and placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. Afterwards I head to the door and pull it shut fully.

As I head back to the stairs I hear talking. Hushed voices between Aunt May and Hailee. Slowly, quietly I tip toe down a couple of the steps before pausing, trying to listen.

"You're good for them," Aunt May says. "I can see it in them. How happy they are when you're around. How comforting you are especially during the funeral. Thank you for coming."

"Oh..Yeah of course. I'm really sorry about..." Hailee's voice trails. I cross my arms over my chest and lean against the wall.

"I know you're a pop star. An actress. Y/n may be a drummer with a really big band right now but they're not like those girls. She has a big heart. Sensitive at times. I really don't want to see them hurt again like they were with their ex."

"I would never hurt Y/n, ma'am," Hailee says, sounding genuine."

"Please call me Aunt May. Ma'am makes me feel old." I chuckle under my breathe.

"My apologies. But I mean it. I know what it's like to feel pain from a relationship. I don't want to experience it either, not again. However I think I'd risk getting hurt if it meant I got to know Y/n."

I sink my teeth into my bottom lip and stare down at the steps. There's a moment of silence between them before I hear Aunt May speak.

"They're a good person to know just have to get past their layers. Knowing how they look at you, I think you've got a winning chance. Just be honest with them. Patient." Another round of silence occurs as I push myself from the wall. I head down the stairs at this point, glancing towards them. Both of their eyes looking towards me.

"Alright. Hailee you're more than welcome to spend the night. You two can stay down here if y'all like considering the living room looks as comfy as ever," Aunt May says standing up from the couch. I stop at the foot of the blankets on the ground and nod, smiling at my Aunt. She walks over and briefly kisses the side of my head before walking towards the stairs, heading up them.

"Goodnight Aunt May," Hailee speaks up. A smile rising to my lips seeing Aunt May's lips curve upwards. She slows her pace on the steps, turning her head towards Hailee and nods.

"Good night Hailee," She smiles and looks at me, nodding. I nod back before turning away and to Hailee. I shove my hands into my pockets as our eyes lock. Neither one of us speaking. Only Hailee sliding off of the couch and getting comfy on the ground. I watch her, closely, smiling. I bite my lip and finally she stops looking up at me before patting the spot beside her. Within seconds I walk towards her and sink to the ground. I get under the covers, grabbing my pillow off of the couch as we both lay down letting the silence surround us. But it was okay. We didn't need to speak. It was comfortable. Her presence alone was, is just as good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 3.3K 23
Story of how (y/n) and Hailee met and the rollercoaster ride that follows
23.1K 746 10
After almost a year of ups and downs, life as y/n has come to know it has changed....drastically. Despite jumping headfirst into the new year togethe...
31.7K 803 40
Y/n is a high school student, she is the basketball captain of their school and she is the popular girl in whole school mostly with girls because of...
9.9K 189 13
A stressed Hailee seeks a casual relationship from Y/n to relive her stress. What happens when Hailee realizes she wants all the 'Strings Attached'? ...