twenty-three: "just friends"

"I don't know! I don't want this!" I shout at the phone that sits on the coffee table in my living room

"I don't know! I don't want this!" I shout at the phone that sits on the coffee table in my living room. I pace back and forth in front of it. My hands on my hips.

"Look, there's only so much we can do here Y/n," the band's manager spoke as a sigh escapes my lips.

"You're asking me to leave the band and go solo. I'm not doing that to them!" I frustratedly spoke, shaking my head. "I went to that bar all the time. That's the first time something like that's ever happened! Emerald Coast has traction but not that much!"

"It's to do with your song Y/n. You posted a raw, original song and it blew up. You've been seen with Hailee Steinfeld. People viewed you as just a drummer and now they're seeing you for more." I sink my teeth into my bottom lip as I stop pacing, looking down at the ground. "I'm not asking you to leave the band. I wouldn't do that. I told you all that I want you to do what's best for yourself. Always. And there's a situation at hand here. You're right. You've never seen this much traction but it's up to you what you do with it."

I shake my head, throwing my head back and looking up at the ceiling. My thoughts running wild with everything that's happened in the past 24 hours. But really this past week.

"I'm not a singer. I'm a drummer," I say, my voice lower than it has been.

"Then you come back on tour."

"No." I shake my head and put my head down. "I can't get on that stage. I can't."

"I'm sorry about your uncle. I am, but you have to start making some choices here Y/n. You're a talented individual. Whether that just be a drummer, singer, or even songwriter. You're gifted. But you need to sit down and really think about what's best for you. You know I'll support you in your decision whatever it may be."

"Yeah but the girl's won't. They'll say I'm betraying them if I decide to quit the band all together. Or go solo. I don't want any of it-" I pause closing my eyes, realizing what I've just said.

"Any of what Y/n?" My manager asks and I shake my head.

"I don't know anymore... I just wanted to drum. That was the only reason I joined the band was to drum. And I can't even fucking do that anymore. I can't get on that stage knowing my uncle's not here anymore. I can't...Not right now."

A moment of silence tkaes over and I know she was listening to me. She was a good manager. She's been there for all four of us since the very beginning of Emerald Coast. She made the best possible choices even if we all questioned them. She knew what she was doing and always has.

"I tell you what... You take a couple days to process this. Stay out of the public eye. Don't go out. Stay secluded. Let things die down. This will also give you a chance to figure out what you, personally, want to do. You call me when you've made a decision and I'll help you. Again, this is about you. You are the only person who can make this decision."