seventeen: again and again

"Hailee?" I speak tearing my eyes from the ceiling

"Hailee?" I speak tearing my eyes from the ceiling. I couldn't sleep. I feel like I've been laying here for hours. "Hailee?"

"Hm?" Hailee hums sleepy. I turn my head towards her. The dark still consuming the room so it wasn't the time for the sun to be up yet unless Aunt May has the black out curtains up.

"Are you asleep?" I ask in a whisper. I get no answer for a second as I stare at the back of Hailee's head. However after a moment the girl turns in her position and faces me. Our eyes meet and while I can barely see her I could tell she was tired. "You were weren't you?"

"It's okay..." Hailee whispers as she closes her eyes for a second then reopens. "You okay?"

"I can't sleep," I whisper back and turn on my side now from my back. I place my hands under my cheek letting my eyes roam her face the best I could see.

"You can't sleep? What's going on inside that head?"

A small smile inches to my lips. "Too much."

Hailee closes her eyes and a little smile forms on her lips. "Tell me."

"You're going to fall asleep on me Haiz."

"I'll try not too."

A little chuckle escapes my lips as I look away from her and nod. "I think I'm...I don't know. I want to tell you something but I'm scared because I'm not good at this especially after everything's that's happened in my life. But I also have been thinking about the other night when you told me that you and Niall broke up. What ha-"

I pause and look up at the girl seeing her eyes closed. She hasn't answered and a soft little snore escapes from her telling me she's fallen back asleep. My smile grows a bit as I nod and reach over my hand grabbing the edge of the blanket and pull it up close next to her knowing how cold my aunt keeps the house. Once I tuck it a bit I grab a loose strand of hair out of Hailee's face, placing it behind her ear before letting my hand cup her cheek.

Gently I lean forward and place a gentle kiss on the top of the girl's head before pulling back. My thumb gently rubs back and forth a few times until I pull my hand back and turn onto my back reaching onto the couch for ny phone. I grab it as the screen lights up the room with a bunch of text messages I've missed.

I tilt my head to the side and open up my phone then open to the text messages.

J.J 9:48 P.M: Hey you got a second?

J.J 10:15 P.M: Y/n?
J.J 10:20 P.M: Y/n?

J.J 10:45 P.M: Seriously can you call me!?

J.J 11:06 P.M: I'm worried ab you. We all are. Can you plz talk to me

J.J 11:35 P.M: Don't shut me out again. Plz you're my best friend