To Perceive an Image

By marymoonisastar

Becoming the unspoken hero of thousands isn't on the itinerary list of an unreputable psychologist like Azail... More

The Fun Before the Storm
Prologue: The Star's Fault
One: Images of My Future
Two: Images of My Dearies
Three: Images of My Dream in A Strange Land
Four: Images of A Pretty Stranger
Five: Images of Consequential Favors
Six: Images of Self-Conflict
Seven: Images of A Finalized Decision
Eight: Images of A Confirmation
Nine: Images of His Room
Ten: Images of A Motherly Love
Eleven: Images of Overprotective Friends
Twelve: Images of An Eventful Morning
Thirteen: Images of An Ambivalent Morning
Fourteen: Images of Unanswered Questions
Fifteen: Images of Trespassing
Sixteen: Images of An Unexpected Scheme
Seventeen: Images of Harmless Burglary
Eighteen: Images of Identity Theft
Nineteen: Images of Brainwashed Duplicates
Twenty: Images of Unforeseen Kindness
Twenty-One: Images of Heartbreaking Explanations
Twenty-Two: Images of Friends Who Are Better Than All
Twenty-Three: Images of Watery Dramatics
Twenty-Four: Images of Growing Worries
Twenty-Five: Images of An Unexpected Companion
Twenty-Six: Images of An Angry Beauty
Twenty-Seven: Images of My Romantic Confession
Twenty-Eight: Images of Meaningful Tattoos
Twenty-Nine: Images of Learned Maltreatment
Thirty: Images of an Unexpected Lesson Plan
Thirty-One: Images of What Exasperation Can Do
Thirty-Two: Images of an Undesired Second Encounter
Thirty-Four: Images of Giving A Gift
Thirty-Five: Images of A Powerful Question
Thirty-Six: Images of a Realistic Response
Thirty-Seven: Images of Parental Ignorance
Thirty-Eight: Images of Needed Security
Thirty-Nine: Images of Theft
Forty: Images of a Planned Operation
Forty-One: Images of Domestic and Foreign Discoveries
Forty-Two: Images of My Best Birthday
Forty-Three: Images of Gifted Gadgets
Forty-Four: Images of Our Final Course
Forty-Five: Images of Anticipated Domestic Nights
Forty-Six: Images of My Life's Disaster
Forty-Seven: Images of a Threatening Presence
Forty-Eight: Images of Facing Death
Forty-Nine: Images of A Hidden Secret
Fifty: Images of My Misbelief
Fifty-One: Images of His Unprecedented Return
Fifty-Two: Images of a Blurted Demise
Fifty-Three: Images of Deserved Destruction
Fifty-Four: Images of Inexplicable Pain
Fifty-Five: Images of Honest Retellings
Fifty-Six: Images of Past Wishes
Fifty-Seven: Images of a Breath of Relief
Fifty-Eight and last: Images of Restored Happiness

Thirty-Three: Images of Plausible Theories

3 0 0
By marymoonisastar

Maryanland, September 24, 2040, 4:15 PM

Um, yikes.

I felt like an asshole for staying silent and letting Flynn explain. Whether he told the hard truth or falsity didn't concern me. Part of me did not want to speak because I make myself look suspicious at the most unintended times. Maybe this Noir person will trust the words of Flynn more than mine. How could he not? Vega Flynn is a walking embodiment of the building to our left. If the badge in his hand didn't perform its job, I don't know what will.

In the wise words of Eugene Fitzherbert, aka the original Flynn Rider, this was a stupid decision, really.

Stupid because this man took his sweet time telling Noir the truth. All of it, from the day I came as an interviewer to the day I had asked him for said tutoring lessons and stopped at just about every detail about today.

Okay, I value honesty, but damn, that's excessive.

What makes me perplexed is the focused expression on Noir's face. Every word Flynn said didn't miss his mind, as if he was digesting every word. Strange.

But, I appreciate Flynn for speaking, although a lot more than I would have, at least he got shit done.

After Noir got about every detail from the second I met Vega Flynn to this current moment in time, a settling look rested upon his face.

I hate myself for doing it, but his smile doesn't resemble the one my best friend used to do. I shake my head for comparing a stranger's habits to those of my deceased best friend.

That's how you cope.

"Well, I'll leave you both to it and take my leave. Today was a good place to start, we can continue this later."

That's what she said. No, that's what they all say in the books I read, and that last sentence doesn't translate appropriately in my head. Anyway, I have so escaping to do.

Flynn nods, "of course, I hope to see you soon."

Some goodbyes later, I was away from there as fast as my little legs could go.

A good question to ask right now is, where should I go by walking and thinking?

I look at the time and notice that my friends should both be home. My legs suggested following the automatic response of going to each of their homes to visit them, but my brain said no. My brain told me to crawl through my bedroom wall or go to the park and travel through the beaming light for optimal convenience. Then I would end up at a park, walk through a blaring blizzard to a small home and greet two women before walking up the stairs to meet a tattooed giant.

Why did that sound like a divine idea? Who knows?

But, a terrible part of me favored the second option.

Sapphire and Lyaly would smack the back of my head if I said this in front of them. Sapphire in a scolding manner for favoring Flynn over them. Lyaly lovingly as she chants a repeated mantra of "I knew it" while telling me I've met the love of my life. Both aren't true, somewhat.

Either way, I perform the complicated process of walking to my home. The organ in my ribs picks up the pace when the thought of my parents being home crosses my mind. Deep breath in, deep breath out, it'll be fine, Azail. I should not feel this nervous thinking about the mere thought of my parents being home. What an unhealthy mentality.

Despite how much I console myself, the only method that works for me is remembering that my parents are out at a relative's house a few hours up north. I could've helped myself relax further by digging with my questions to know how long their trip would last, but my mom's glare when I asked her that same question had me decide to hide in my room instead.

This woman didn't bat an eyelash when she asked me if I was curious about the longevity of their trip because I had plans to ruin their trip.

Are you asking because you want to plant an explosive on the train track?

Why? So, you pack our clothes and throw them out?

So you can plot ways to kill us?

There have been many moments in my life that I've spent doubting my parents' sanity, but this one comes to a close second. The first one will always be my mom's outburst about the money I forgot to put in her account.

It's true what they say, even though no one has ever said it. The hardest part about being a psychologist is not being able to diagnose people outside of your clinic. Because shit, I have an accurate diagnosis for my parents.

So, although my relief will be short-lived, it's still a relief, and I'll enjoy any minute I can spend away from my parents. Also, I can be as noisy as I want as I crawl through my wall and not worry about waking my parents up. Flynn always chooses times that are the latest of the night or the earliest of the morning to meet. What a weirdo.

He's a morning person, and that automatically makes him weird.

I know I can go straight to the Image World from the park, but I'm hungry and want to help myself to whatever we have at home. It has become quite embarrassing how often I meet khalto, and my stomach growls before I can even greet her. I buy their groceries and eat a quarter of them, which is unacceptable.

Issues about my parents aside, my thoughts stumble back to that hunk of a building I walked away from. Okay, let's not hunkify a building that has people with bad intentions working inside.

However, a crazy idea has me borderline growing my ego and shrinking the amount I grew.

No implication about the existence of a projector displayed itself in Flynn's words. Does that mean the people who created it don't even know about it?

I doubt it, but it's a plausible theory.

You know what, I'll work from that thought.

Let's say they don't have a flying clue, which would mean that the person who owns the store I got this from actually had a stranger throw the projector in his face before leaving. Dramatic explanation, but it suffices. A good question now would be to ask who the person who threw it was and why.

It wouldn't make sense for anyone working inside that building, who I'll assume had a part in creating the Image World, to throw away a tool used to reach it. I'm canceling the possibility of someone who had a hand in creating the Image World being the culprit. There's no way one would give away the projector knowing its powers.

Maybe the person was someone who got thrown into severe shock after feeling their arm disintegrate and thought the Bubonic plague demon came to get them. That would explain nothing, but I'll stick to that thought.

Does that mean I'm built differently for still finding it in me to climb through my wall?

Good thing I'm a psychologist, or else I would've sent myself to an asylum.

I can threaten them into submission with my requests using the projector.

Cue my ego growing and the kinky-minded individuals snickering.

Cue my ego shrinking when the logical part of my brain reminds me of my insignificance. In the fancy, uplifting tone of motivational speakers, I'm significant. Imagining the scenario of me threatening an entire system of who knows how many people alone has me cowering away. There's no way it would work.

Yet, a brave part of me wants to try. I couldn't care less. Scratch that; I reached the point of not caring about the consequences long ago when I agreed to this. My nightmares used to show images of things that most people consider adrenaline-inducing. My nightmares now include nothing but me walking around the Image World, watching the people living there glaring at me as they beg me to work quicker.

If I have to put my life on the line by threatening whoever I might face, I'll do it in a heartbeat. Not dreaming at all sounds better than dreaming of my biggest fear and having no means of escaping.

Fuck it and my life; let's find this certain someone who will fall under my desperate threat wherever they might be.

Another theory of mine proposes that they're closer than I think.

Maybe even as close as that building is.

They have to be there because that building makes for the perfect lair for them.

There might've been some truth in the titles Sapphire and Lyaly created for me.

I'm no hero by any means, but I'll dare say I'm an anxious fighter. Minus the heavy gear fighters wear and the monsters they climb over.

As crazy as it sounds, I don't think I'll ever reach a fatal end. Yeah, maybe minor injuries here or there, but even that, I doubt, will ever happen. Sometimes I don't know whether to appreciate or question my mindset that convinces me that no harm will come to me. Hey, it works. Not once have I felt like I was in physical danger when my brain repeats the same sentence like a mantra.

No harm can exist in my presence.

I'll believe it like I always have.

As I neared the front of my home, I noticed two familiar animals.

The squirrels.

They look to be doing fine, eating almonds like they're the closest of colleagues. I never forget to restock a handful of almonds outside my window whenever they finish the first amount. They must've resolved whatever issue they had the first time I saw them because they're sharing. I've been trying to get a glimpse of them but never succeeded. I'm glad I did today. Therapy should include watching a cute animal minding its own business.

After admiring the squirrels as if they were my children, I unlock the front door and head straight for my room.

That was when another crazy idea struck my head.

Wow, I must be the most inventive person on Earth today.

Wait, never mind, I'm mentioning the wrong planet.

Since my parents aren't here, should I sleep over at khalto's home?

Crazy but genius.

No, poor Flynn already hurt his back while sleeping on the couch once. If someone caused my backaches, I wouldn't look them in the eye again.

But I'll try to spend as much time there as I can. Being with them makes me feel complete, and I'll chase whatever makes me feel good.

Money?

That too, but I'm talking about people here.

Keeping my ideas of a sleepover in mind, I prepone my nightly shower to a late afternoon one. I'm sure the showerhead will feel confused about my decision since it doesn't see me until the late hours of the night. A change in routine once doesn't hurt.

Wrong, it does. I hate not following an order, but sacrifices need to happen.

An hour and a half later, I'm as clean as ever. My shower time would be much shorter if it weren't for my skin and hair care routines. Washing my body doesn't take as long as my skincare routine and my routine for curly hair. Either way, I'll take all the time in the world if my skin and hair stay the way I want them to.

I follow a familiar part of my routine that involves wearing a matching lounge set.

My friends are lucky that I make gift-giving an effortless task for every occasion. One time I had muttered that they should get me comfortable clothes for every occasion, and they took that thought and ran with it. Flash forward to now, and I have lounge sets in every color that visible light allows human eyes to see.

Birthdays, holidays, friendship anniversaries, whatever it may be.

Since I'm a hoarder and a constant wearer of colorful loungewear, I pick one I wear less often to give it a chance.

Minutes later, my body looks like pickled olives had a field day. Kidding, the color looks pleasant, and I like it. The craziest thing life could've done for me was make me like the color green. I went from despising it to wanting every clothing item of mine to be in some shade of the same color.

After I'm satisfied with the amount of perfume I sprayed on myself, I grab a warm coat to wear to protect myself from the harmful winters of the Image World before making my way to the place. And the gift I finally remembered to purchase.

A coat won't be enough, but the thought of looking for my usual hazmat suit components against winter makes me feel tired.

Sorry, cute matching hat, scarf, and glove set.

The Image World, 5:15 PM

A few slips and falls here, a million trips there, a meal that way, I make it to my destination. Some homes pulled a Detroit classic and did not shuffle the snow, which resulted in my plummeting more times than I'm comfortable sharing. Screw the idea of calling myself an olive. I'm a whole damn snowman right now. The purposeful decision to leave behind warm accessories bit me in my frozen hands.

My shaking hand knocks on the door, khalto's kind smile catches me right when a shiver makes me look like I got electrocuted.

When she notices my shivering and icicle-like self, her eyes widen.

"Oh my god, you poor honey, come in," her arms wrap around me as if she's Elsa, and the cold doesn't bother her.

"I'm covered in snow, khalto, let me clean up outside before I get it all inside," her arms hold on tighter, preventing me from moving away.

"No, my dear, you can clean up here, it'll melt and I'll clean it up, it's fine. Malak and Flynn always do this, so it's a common sight," she coos, wiping a dry cloth over the area where the snow attacked me.

She helps me take off my coat and gives me a towel as I follow the cultural habit of taking my shoes off.

"Here, dry your hair, honey. It looks like you just showered," she scolds, shaking her head. "You can get sick like this. Don't make it a habit to visit us in this condition."

I nod, stretching my arms in intricate ways to reach around my head, mourning the loss of the pristine braid I put my hair in. When my towel-drying skills don't satisfy khalto, she grabs the towel from my hands and dries my hair.

Goodbye to all the products I smothered in it after my shower. I will miss you.

They're still there, but I will mourn them.

"No!" Malak's shouting makes me raise my head to see what she's shouting at.

I look at khalto in confusion, but the sound of her children running around shouting doesn't phase her.

"They're playing a game, they do this every day, so I'm used to their shouting."

"What's the game about?"

"A version of hiding and seeking created by Flynn. If you find the person you were seeking, you must give them an item they ask for. Flynn won't stop asking for Malak's compass, but she won't give it."

Fun game, even though she said the wrong name. I won't correct her because she's cute and tried her best.

As traumatizing as astronomy has become for me, my astronomy-obsessed inner child can't help but be interested.

"Malak has a compass?"

Khalto smiles, her eyes sparkling in a recall.

"Yes, schools don't provide extracurricular courses, so she resorted to what she could find. She told me that Ruby talked about you and your love for Astronomy, so she asked Flynn to get her a compass."

Oh my god, that's so fucking cute.

Also, I have to remind Ruby that I'm not obsessed with astronomy. Not anymore.

Didn't you observe constellations last night?

Shut up, and no, I didn't. Even if I did, I didn't do it because I wanted to.

Yeah, sure.

Khalto finished drying my hair, which happened at the perfect moment because I wanted to lift my head and stare at the wall in shock.

"Are you serious," my jaw needed an elevator to help it get back up.

Khalto takes one look at me before bursting out laughing. "Yes, I am," she giggles, grabbing my arm and ushering me to walk. I'm glad she did because my legs don't feel like moving.

We halt our steps behind the couch in the living room, watching the siblings play a dangerous tackling game.

"No, you won't get my compass. I found so many stars the other day. I have to tell Azail how I found them. Even then, you won't take my compass."

"Why won't you support my dream of becoming an astronomer by helping your brother?"

That resulted in Malak pinching his ear, "because you don't want to become one! Doesn't your dream job involve watching cameras for a whole day while sitting on your butt in a hard chair?"

My shoulders shook in laughter at that, and it caught their attention.

"Good one, Malak."

My presence made the little girl forget about her brother. She let go of him at the drop of a nonexistent hat and made a beeline toward me. Khalto's form resting on my right arm that she hasn't let go of makes me hug the little girl with my free arm.

"Hi Azail, I missed you!"

"Hi Malak, you too."

"Did you watch me attack Flynn?" I give her a nod, and she smiles in victory.

"In case mama didn't tell you, I'm now obsessed with stars."

I fake my revelation with a dramatic gasp. "Wow, no way," my voice does a terrible job of sounding surprised, but it flew by the little girl.

My reactions need urgent help.

"Yes! I only know how to find Polaris, but you can help me find other ones, right?"

The cloud of rest that rested above me the second I entered their home vanished upon hearing her request. Part of me did not want to involve myself with astronomy, knowing the hard work and effort I'd put into the past decade to distance myself from it. The other part of me did not want to break the happy cloud above Malak. But because I value my feelings, I'll allow myself to dwell on the uncomfortable feeling in my chest. And that involves fighting off the montage of the events from that night.

"Malaki, why don't we do that together later this week? I heard it'll storm today so the skies won't be clear for a few days. You can even show me Polaris if you want." Flynn saves the day with his suggestion, and I thank even the biblically accurate angels for the success of his words. A breath of relief exits my chest. I look at my savior and mouth a thank you to him, to which he replies by winking at me.

Bye, I don't have an appointment with my cardiologist scheduled; I can't risk tachycardia.

You don't have a cardiologist.

Did I ask?

The fact that Flynn mentioned Polaris without showing a hint of distaste is also surprising.

Malak, still hugging me, turns to him, "promise?"

"When have I ever broken a promise I made to you?"

"Well, you promised that you'll never steal from me, and look at you chasing after my compass."

The sass in her voice made me burst out laughing, feelings of discomfort long gone. "You've got good comebacks, Malak." The girl in my arm cranes her head up to look at me with the biggest smile, "are you proud?"

How can I say no to that?

"Of course I am," I exclaim, patting her back.

"Do you want to stay the night here, Azail? I know you made the way here to discuss something important with Flynn. I wouldn't want you to make your way back in the terrible weather coming up."

My mind flashes back to Azail from less than an hour ago and how she had plans to stay over. Yet, I still had the audacity in me to feel surprised. I shift my gaze away from khalto's anticipatory one to Flynn's, who holds the same energy.

Dubbing Malak my savior, I look at her and conclude that these people must all want me to stay over.

Humble yourself, woman. They want you to stay because they don't want you dead before you can help them.

Why is that the first time I agree with you?

I may be an asshole to think that way, but brain chemistry doesn't change in a day.

Keeping that in mind, I nod my head to confirm my stay.

Malak hugs me tighter.

Khalto squeals.

Flynn smirks.

Shit, I am an asshole for thinking the way I did. I know better. No, I've seen better than to doubt the intentions of these people.

Fuck me, honestly.

"Yay, you can sleep in my room! I want to braid your hair, and you can braid mine."

"Excuse me? I'm the closest to her out of the three of us, considering our nonofficial yet status."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 4.5K 22
I stepped back from the door as a kick knocked down the door. The guy did not have time to react as I ran towards him and hit him in the back of the...
151 18 18
When everyone was thinking that everything is fine, destiny took a massive turn and their lives turned upside down. Four normal highscholars, who we...
172 38 10
My journey through life, though seemingly effortless, is far from it. As an eighteen-year-old heiress of not one, but two crazy rich families, the we...
174K 6.3K 56
Kaleb Knightly, Briarwood High School's own bad boy. But he's not your typical 'bad boy.' He makes straight A's, he doesn't sleep around, and he care...