Mend My Heart

By deetronite

One mistake at work lands Maya Knight paying off a debt in the hands of a troubled, wealthy, and undeniably a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2
New Book Alert.

Chapter 35

6K 493 46
By deetronite

Maya's P.O.V

By the time I woke up the next day, I was feeling like absolute shit. I spent the rest of my day thinking about Theodore and by the time we had to close up the shop, I went over to the café where Brian works in the hopes of getting my mind off of him, but it did nothing but more harm. I watched as Brian worked, flashing his charismatic smile at all the customers that came to place orders. He is undoubtedly really attractive, and my heart does flutter whenever he compliments me, caresses me or kisses me but...

Don't you dare think such an absurd thought Maya Knight! I mentally scolded myself. This could be regarded as cheating because I was dating one man yet thinking of another. How had my life turned so wrong? Just when I thought that I was regaining control over my emotions, my everything...all my efforts have come crashing down on me like a large boulder.

I checked my phone to see that I had a missed call from Lexi, guess I'd been to caught up in my thoughts to answer and to be honest, I don't know what I would have said to her. She's kinda my best friend, so I can't lie to her which would only end in her hunting Theodore down and giving him a piece of her mind for hurting me. And I wanted to avoid unnecessary drama at all costs.

Grumbling multiple profanities at inadvertently waking up at five thirty, I grouchily scooted over to the shower where I punished myself with cold water. Maybe if I did that I'd bring myself into reality and forget about the so called novel scenario I'd gotten into just yesterday. I heard the doorbell ring which made me close my faucet and step out. I frowned. I wasn't expecting anywhere, so who could that possibly be?

Wrapping my towel around my body, I went over to the front door and pulled it wide open, just about to cuss at whoever was disturbing my already disturbed morning. My mouth had just opened wide when my eyes landed on the devil himself.

His cobalt eyes glided over my wet and barely clad form. "This is certainly the best way to begin my morning," he whistled lowly, before his lips settled into that infuriating smirk of his. I closed my eyes tightly in embarrassment. Okay, this is clearly not my best day.

I was about to shut the door right in his face when he held it open with his arm, coming to stand so close to me that I could breathe his cologne. Same as before; overpowering, intoxicating, enticing. "Don't be so rude, Maya. I came all this way and you're going to shut the door in my face?" he asked in feigned hurt, clicking his tongue in disapproval.

I ground my teeth in annoyance, before stepping aside for him to enter. I don't know if he did it on purpose, but his hand brushed my bare thigh and the jolt of electricity that pulsated through my system almost knocked me off my feet. And why the hell had I just let him walk into my apartment? Simple, if I handled him now it meant that I wouldn't have to see him later at my work otherwise Brian might get upset and throw a tantrum.

Crossing my arms on my chest, I watched him take a seat on my couch like he very well owned the damn place. "May I know how and why you're here?" I inquired in a snarl like manner.

"You know, that stance makes you look so sexy. I can hardly keep my mind from racing," he pronounced sensually, and a shiver ran up my spine.

"You're such a smug bastard, and I see that much hasn't changed. I don't know how you found out where I live and I don't even freaking care. I also don't understand why you're here, neither do I give a damn. What I do know is that I don't want you here, and in case I didn't make it clear yesterday, allow me to do so now. I want nothing to do with you, not now and not ever. So, do us both a favour and make yourself scarce before I drop my polite façade and kick you in the bollocks," I told him calmly, making sure to emphasise each word.

He laughed, very sarcastically before standing up to make his way over to me. I craned my neck up just to show him that I wasn't afraid or made uneasy by his unwavering gaze. "I think you should do us both a favour and stop pretending that there is nothing between us. Maya, you can't just dismiss me without hearing what I have to say. I at least owe you an explanation."

"I don't want to hear it!" I said with a hard glare and he sighed. Just for a moment, my eyes roamed over his body that was sporting a sharp checkered navy-blue suit, with a white shirt and a blue tie. Dashing as always...

He closed his eyes, his jaw ticking in impatience. I guess he thought he would just waltz in here and tell me some sob story, resulting in me automatically believing it and kissing him whilst we rode off into the sunset. Fat chance! I'm not as naïve as I used to be five months ago. "Get dressed. We're going to have breakfast," he ordered as though he were my boss and my eyes narrowed at this.

"What if I don't want to?" I fired back saucily, causing him to smile mischievously.

He shrugged. "You don't want to get dressed? Fine by me, but just so you know I won't be held responsible if we end up in a compromising position," he trailed off, making my face burn at his shamelessness.

"I meant, what if I don't want to have breakfast with you? Why should I?" I added, and he stepped even closer so that our chest were cushioned against each other. This is not good.

"You will if you don't want me to tell your boyfriend about all those kisses we shared back in London. I bet he will be just thrilled to find out that you somehow lied to him about what really transpired between us. How does that sound?" he spoke, smirking maliciously.

That made me bite back any snarky remark I had. Smiling triumphantly, he leaned down and pressed his lips to my cheek. "Hurry now, darling. We both have to be at work by eight."

With one last scathing look, I stomped back into my bedroom and dried my hair, applied lotion and changed into an oversized woollen pink sweater, a pink mini skirt, some knee-high white boots and one of my sling bags. I applied a bit of make-up, and not because I wanted to impress him or anything, but because I just felt like it. Uh huh, keep telling yourself that.

Emerging from my room, I didn't spare him a glance and went straight for the door, to which he responded with a light chuckle. Once out of the door, I allowed him to exit the apartment and locked the door. I turned around to see him observing me. "You're looking rather ravishing. But that's just every day," he smiled and my traitorous heart almost burst out of my chest.

It took everything in me not to smile, so I settled with a simple nod. "Lead the way, boss man," I said in a nonplussed tone and let him lead us to the staircase, since the elevator wasn't exactly functional. Outside, I saw a sleek silver Bugatti parked in front of the building. There really wasn't any point in guessing who it belonged to. Even a baby could figure it out.

He opened the passenger door for me. I rolled my eyes at his gentlemanly act, but slid into the car nonetheless. He joined me in that car after shutting the passenger door and jogging to the driver's side. I sat there practically wedged into the corner because I didn't want to be too close to him and give him the wrong ideas. I panicked when I saw him leaning towards me. His face was barely an inch away from mine, and I could easily spot the silver specs in his aquatic eyes. "Relax, I'm trying to help you with your seatbelt. I won't kiss you...unless you want me to," he teased mercilessly, and I immediately looked away.

After he buckled me up, he did the same and then started the car. It was a seductive purr, no doubt the very reason why a lot of people find this car so thrilling to drive. Throughout the duration of the ride, I kept my lips sealed and watched as the scenery passed us by. I saw him glance in my direction every now and then, but he made no move to speak.

"The twins miss you," he said after a while.

Only then did I turn to look at him. "Really? I thought they would have forgotten about me by now. I miss them too...a lot actually," I smiled sadly, and tucked a tuft of hair behind my ear.

He smiled too. "Aiden, the most. I don't think a day goes by without him uttering your name. My mother also mentions you a lot and about how I'm such an idiot for letting you go. She's right about that," he mumbled. "I know I hurt you Maya, but it was never my intention to do that. The last thing I ever want to do is make the woman I'm in love with upset or distraught."

My heart stilled at his words. Did he just say he is in love with me? I couldn't conjure up any words to say at that precise moment, it's like he had taken my ability to speak. The Theodore Duke just confessed his love to me? "Don't look so shocked. It's easy to fall in love with someone like you, Maya Knight. At first, I thought it was just attraction but after all these months, and the therapy sessions I've had, I am one hundred percent sure I'm am completely and utterly in love with you. Which is a miracle, since I had stopped believing in love," he added without a care in the world, while I was one second away from having a heart attack.

Hell, this changes the course of everything!

_______________________________

Second update of the week and year!

Thoughts on the chapter?

Theodore said he loves Maya! OMG!!!🥺🤭

Hmmm...the two are gonna have breakfast...what could possibly go wrong???😏

Til Friday,

~Deetronite ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 230 25
"Something snapped her back to reality. As she looked past Nolan, she saw a black car-a black SUV. It swerved past the other cars, narrowly avoiding...
32.7K 1.1K 49
Annie Winston , a 23 year old sweet, innocent and a smart girl who has been having issues in her life. She believes true love doesn't exist anymore...
36.2K 1.8K 50
Daisy has been a stripper all of her life against her wishes. With an annoyingly genius brother to take care of, she is ready to do whatever it takes...
703K 43.9K 47
"Kabir Malhotra, a 25-year-old, young, handsome, gym freak, always a hot topic among girls. He's known to be rude and doesn't care about anyone excep...