Cold All the Way Through, But...

By thecowgirlbookworm

Anastasia Dalian was not expecting to have to deal with an unwanted suitor on the return trip from unsuccessf... More

Boarding
The Launch
Some Minor Rule Breaking
An Incident
Breakfast and Society Tea
Dinner and a Question
An Afternoon Promenade
Impact
Waiting in the Cold
Exhaustion
Bridge and the Brig
Gossip
Arrival
The Morning Session
AN: Switch
The Afternoon Session
An Afternoon Caller
A Private Rail Car
The Funeral
A Few Frazzled Days
One Night
A Questioning
An Interview
An Attack
A Letter
A Ball
A Trip
Cozy
Spreading the News
Drunk
Hair of the Dog
Preparations
Showtime
Discussions
Departure
The Business of Pleasure
A Joke
Settling Things
A Happy Occasion
Adjustments
The Party
Newport
Renewing Acquaintances
A Warning
Sailing
A New Launch
The Duchess
A Favor
The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men
Almost to the Race
The Regatta
First Voyage
Awkward Conversations
Planning
Rigel
The Tour
A Picnic
The Opera
An Ultimatum
The Costume Ball
The Birthday Party
Christmas
White Camellias
Wedding Plans
Four Days Late
A French Letter
Nis
Interrogation
Training
Opening Arguments
The Kidnappers' Testimony
A Red Dress and a Golden Necklace
Injunction
Nightmares
Guilt
Verdict
Approaching
The First Anniversary
Oscar's Gift
The Wedding Portrait
The Stag Night
The Morning After
The Wedding
The Wedding Night
The Wedding Breakfast
Shipboard Antics
Paris
A Slight Discomfort
Uncle Will and Aunt Anna
Fishing
Hiking
The Brightest Jewel in My Crown
Until We Meet Again
An Attack of Memory
An Unlikely Friend
An Abomination
Those Who Should Never Will
A Moonlight Swim
A Greedy Man
A Siren and a Scotsman
Purple Hyacinths
The Great White Hurricane
Hysterical
There's Nothing a Best Friend Won't Do
Cheering Up
Breaking Point
A Trip to Town
Groveling on His Knees
The Spell is Broken
Christmas Visitors
Heading Home
Modern Major General
Unwelcome News
A Turkish Bath
Dinner With the Captain
Memories
Old Friends
A Quiet Sort of Grief
Captain Rogers
A Storm
Papa
A Look of Adoration
Disguise
The Second Anniversary
A Surprise
Brighton
Another Trick
Crossing Together
Stealing Up to Newport
Finally, A Proposal
Before the Storm
Whispers on the Wind
Alfred Arrives
Worrying
Stargazing
The Wave Breaks
A Long Time Coming
Fair Winds and Following Seas
Separate
Another Time, Perhaps
Dragged Kicking and Screaming
Live Bait
Rule Britannia
The Talk
An Agreement
An Early Christmas Gift
Morris
Mrs. Moody
Spywork
A Public Confrontation
A Raider's Early Demise
A Court Martial
Stubborn
The Leave Taking
SΓ©ance
The Perfect Target
Drowning in Despair
Relief
Fitting Together
Tea With the Lightollers
A White Feather
A Mutual Friend
Lusitania
An Interrupted Afternoon Tea
Back in New York
Leave's End
Off to London
Yet Another Inquiry
Lord Mersey
Zeppelins

Dalbeattie

101 1 1
By thecowgirlbookworm

AN: Well, here we are, one year and 400,000 words later. I can't tell you all what it means to me to not only reach that word count but to have spent a year researching and writing this story. I've found my best friend in Sparky-She-Demon through this fic, and it probably would have died off if not for her and I talking every day about our fics and new ideas and helping each other through writer's block. And I'm glad to not only have found her through this fic but all of you readers, and I hope that you'll stick around because there is far more of this fic to come. I know we've moved on from the events of the film, but I hope you are all still enjoying it. Thank you all for a wonderful year and here's looking to more down the road.

The train station the next morning was bustling, and Will and I were quickly caught up in the rush of people. In the end, I had to hold onto his sleeve as he navigated us to the proper platform. I was just lucky that I still had my valise with me as we proceeded through the car, looking for a compartment. Finally, seeing an empty one, Will opened the door and ushered me inside. He quickly shut the door again, glancing out the window. "We'll be lucky to keep this until we reach Carlisle."

"We'll be lucky to be awake when we reach Carlisle." I muttered, muffling a yawn behind my hand. "And we'll still only get to Dalbeattie just before dinner."

"And a hearty dinner it will be." Will grinned as he looked across the compartment at me. "And straight to bed for us after."

"So what will it be, haggis washed down with whiskey?" I joked, jostling a bit as the train began to move. Will only snorted and rolled his eyes, looking out the window as we pulled out of the station. Southampton was still rather dark as our train huffed and puffed its way to the northeast, only a bit of thin gray daylight breaking through a fog bank that had cropped up over night. In the end, both of us wound up nodding off as we made our way towards London, the rocking of the train lulling us to sleep. Our activities the night before had been exhausting, for Will was unsure of how often he would be called to go visit his family or help with something while we were there. He had wanted to ensure that it had been a memorable night, and we had both made a valiant effort at it.

My mouth had still been a little sore this morning, having taken him between my lips the night before. I had not been the only one, for Will had explored every inch of me with his lips and had not been content to move on to the main event until I had fallen apart beneath him three times. Every time I had offered to finish him, he had refused me, saying that he would let me get him close, but then have me stop. Apparently he found the teasing exciting, for when he finally had me bent over the desk in his office, he was relentless. It must have shifted a good inch every time he had thrust himself home, a strangled gasp being driven from me with every movement. In the end, he had had to carry me back to bed, my legs too weak to support me after he had wrenched every bit of strength and pleasure from me.

So yes, the nap was much needed.

Most of the train seemed to be disgorged in London, and their replacements were few. Will still felt he had to glare at everyone who even glanced at our compartment, although he settled down quickly enough once the train started up again and a trolley was pushed past. He purchased a couple of sandwiches, passing one over. "Cheese, hopefully they're good."

"At this point, I'd eat haggis." I chuckled, gratefully accepting the paper wrapped sandwich. I took a bite, my eyes rolling up. "Mmmm, they're quite good."

"Better than haggis?" Will shook his head. "Honestly, if you keep going on about that someone is actually going to offer you some."

"I tease, I tease." I waved my hand, looking out the window. "Although it will be a bit nice to get out of the cities for awhile." London was almost grayer than Southampton, although that wasn't just due to fog. Smoke from hundreds of coal fires and factories mixed with fog blown in, creating a thick and almost solid smog that covered the skies. I knew London weather was often joked about, and I'd been in the city before, but I'd never sene it this bad. I could only hope it would be better when we stopped for a day or two on our way back.

Will, joining me at the window, nodded. "Yes, wouldn't want to be out in that. We'd be doing more coughing than breathing here." He settled back onto the bench, a smile on his face. "Much better up in Scotland, fresh air and wide open spaces. Very healthy."

"Speaking of health," I glanced over, "I hope your mother is doing better when we get there, she seemed rather improved when she was in New York."

"I think she had some distractions to help with that." He sighed though, pressing his fingers to his nose. "Peg promised to write if she was getting worse and I haven't heard anything, so I can only hope so. Although I hadn't been expecting the cane."

"Should I have brought her a new one?" I reached over, taking his hand. "I could still arrange for one to be shipped."

He squeezed my hands, although his smile didn't meet his eyes. "I think she'd much prefer the fan you got her, something nice and pretty." I kept hold of his hands as we slowly left London behind, headed for the country. As we passed farms and dairies I rubbed his fingers, tractors and horse drawn wagons fell away as I moved over to his bench and began to work on his shoulders. They were tense, and it took almost the entire trip to Carlisle to get him loose again. We were into the green country now, and despite being in a train station flooded with coal smoke, the air felt cleaner.

"The Caledonian should be right over there." Will strode confidently through the station, "No need for a compartment with this one, we're not traveling that far. No need for one on the trip to Dalbeattie either, we can make do with a bench." He paused, looking over at me. "Right?"

"Of course." I smiled up at him, "I don't think I could sleep anymore and all of this country is so beautiful."

"And we're not even fully into Scotland yet." He teased, helping me aboard the train car after our tickets were checked by a conductor. The car we entered was well stocked with wooden benches, a few already occupied but there was plenty to choose from. Will let me move past him to sit by the window, our valises at our feet. I kept looking out the window as the train started out, forests and fields, roads that followed the line of the railroad. We passed over rivers rushing past us to the sea, and Will sighed to see them. "Do you like to fish, Ana? You can catch such wonderful fish up here, salmon, pike, trout. My Da used ta take me fishin', we would came back and Ma would cook so much food."

I smiled to see him happy. "I can't say I've fished before, although I'm sure we could go out."

"I won't gut 'em in front a ye," Will chuckled, "Although we could bring 'em home and Ma could bake 'em like she used ta." He continued on in that vein for awhile, talking about all the places we could go fish. There were so many places it seemed like it would take weeks for us to visit all of them. He had his arm around me as we started nearing Dumfries. "And then we can visit Kircudbright, it's the biggest town on the coast near us. Might even be able ta rent a boat fer the day."

I made no comment on how much his accent was returning. "Oh, that would be wonderful. A rowboat?"

"I'd prefer a sailboat," Will looked out the window, "Ah, only one more train." He quickly had our bags in one hand as the train pulled into the station, and my hand in the other as we hurtled across the platforms until we reached the final train. Will found us yet another bench, and stretched his legs out for a moment. "Would ye mind if we walked ta the inn? I've had enough sittin' on me bum for one day."

I nodded, "A walk sounds lovely after all this, although I'm afraid we may have to go without our usual entertainment tonight." I laughed at the way he immediately looked to me. "You aren't tired?"

"Not enough to forgo a night with ye, lass." He wormed his arm around my waist. "Although, if ye truly are tired-"

"I was only teasing." I chuckled, pressing myself to him. "Although I'm surprised at how cold it is, especially for summer."

He leaned his head against mine. "Just be glad we're nae in the Highlands, 'tis even worse there." He kept running his hand over my waist, and eventually leaned over and kissed the top of my head. "I want ye ta love this place Ana, like I do. I want ta bring our children here, ta teach them ta fish and sail and do everythin' I did as a lad. Lass, promise me ye'll try ta love it."

"Will," I set my hand on his leg. "I already do, you're quite convincing." He laughed at that, taking my hand as we made our way slowly through the woods and fields towards his home. The coach rocked as we did, slowly and enough to make my eyes start to close. I must have nodded off for a bit, because Will was gently shaking my shoulder sometime later. I blearily blinked at him. "Are we there?"

"Almost, come on now." He reached up and ruffled my hair, disturbing my hat. "Look alive, my dear."

I batted his hands away. "I will, oh, I am glad I don't have a mirror. You've likely ruined my hair."

"And here I thought that was why ye wear hats." Will chuckled, helping me up as the train came to a stop. The station we emerged into was much smaller than any of the others, only a few benches inside a few plain walls and one other platform. A ticket counter took up one corner, although no one was tending it. What drew my eye immediately was the woman, looking a bit younger than Will, who immediately gave a cry and came to her feet at seeing us. Will tugged me forward, catching her in one arm. "Peg! Oh, 'tis good ta see ye again ye wee mite!"

"I'm nae mite, Willie." She laughed as he kissed her cheek. "And I have nae been wee fer years now. Now, aren't ye going to introduce me?"

"Of course," Will lost his accent quick enough as he brought my hand forward, bowing slightly. "My wife, Anastasia Victoria Dalian Murdoch, of New York City, America." He turned to me, "Ana, my sister, Margaret Elizabeth Murdoch, of right here in Dalbeattie, Scotland."

I gave her a smile, seeing that she and Will shared the same eyes and the same brown hair, although hers was much longer and put up in a simple bun. "It's lovely to met you, Margaret."

"Ach, don't she talk like a princess." Margaret smiled, looking between us. "Call me Peg, lass. 'Tis only me Ma that calls me Margaret anymore."

"How is she, Peg?" Will offered us each an arm as we started from the station.

She sighed. "She has her good days, an' her bad ones. She was verra happy when she came back from yer weddin'." She raised an eyebrow at Will, "Ye know, if not fer Jeannie's little girl catching cold I'd hae been there."

"I know." Will sighed. "But it was hard enough dealin' with Da."

"And her and Sam and Agnes woulda only been trouble." Peg shook her head, looking out into the street we'd come into. "Aren't ye going ta call a cab, Willie?"

"Actually, we'd like the walk." I spoke up, admiring the old stone buildings that lined the sides of the street as we made our way down its winding path. "We're staying at the Burnside, is it close?"

"Aye, 'bout a ten minute walk." Peg nodded, "Although 'tis farther than I'd prefer to walk ta get home."

"I'm sure there'll be a cab there." Will pressed his lips together. "Is everyone goin' ta be there tomorrow?"

"Aye, even little Jeannie." Peg cut her eyes over. "Hae ye told her what ta expect?"

Will swallowed hard at that. "Nae, I want her ta see them fer herself."

"Is there something wrong?" I looked between the two of them. "Did I do something wrong?" I'd barely set foot in his hometown and already I felt as if I was out of step with everyone around me.

Will stopped us, taking both my hands. "Ana, ye hae done nothin'. And I will not fill yet ear with poison that shoulda hae been settled years ago." He didn't speak anymore after that, although that didn't stop Peg.

She snorted as we got close to the inn. "Say what ye like Willie, they fair had a fit when yer valet showed up to tell us when ye'd be arriving'." She stopped outside the door as Will signaled for a cab to come up. "What were ye thinkin' doin' that?"

He turned on her. "I didnae, Peg! Alright? I didnae send Reggie over, I was plannin' ta show up with flowers and my bride tomorrow night! And ye can tell Sam that, ye can tell him to stop being such a shite about me marryin' again."

"Ye can bloody well tell him yerself." Peg said as she climbed up into the cab. "I havenae been the messenger between ye two fer years, Willie. I'll see ye fer dinner tomorrow." She held the door open for a moment longer. "I do love ye, brother, but I'm nae standin' between ye two anymore." With that, she shut the door and the horse started off.

Will watched her leave for a moment, before sighing and turning to me. "Come on, Ana. Let's get our rooms." I squeezed his arm as he opened the door to the Burnside, revealing a cozy lobby. Reggie and Louise were sat by the large fireplace, although the fire that was burning was rather small. They stood, but Will waved for them to sit back down. He looked to the lady at a desk across from the fireplace, "William Murdoch and Mrs., we should hae a room."

"Ach, one moment." The lady looked down to her book, then opened a drawer and withdrew an iron key. "Here ye are, top of the stairs. We can bring ye dinner and a pint from the pub, but aside from that we hae not much on hand."

"That will be fine." Will took the key, "Please hae two plates and glasses sent up, and two more fer them." He gestured to Reggie and Louise, then spoke to them. "We won't need ye tonight, and will be having a late mornin'."

Reggie nodded. "Of course, sir. You have only to ring down for us if needed."

"Aye, I know." Will sighed as he started up the stairs. I rubbed his arm as we gained the landing, following him into the room. It was a lovely little place, a large bed on an iron frame with a bright quilt on top, a table with a pitcher and bowl to wash, and a fireplace across from the bed. The bathroom was down the hall, and Reggie and Louise were on the first floor, with our trunks in a storage room. Will was already pinching the bridge of his nose as he sat on the edge of the bed, his eyes closed. "Before you ask, no, I am nae angry with Reggie."

"He didn't mean anything by it." I sat beside him, rubbing his shoulder. "He was just trying to be polite."

"I know."

"We can smooth things over at dinner tomorrow." I tried to be cheery, although Peg hadn't made me feel too confident. "And we have all day to amuse ourselves, we'll be in a good mood when we show up."

He stood, stripping off his jacket. "Don't wear anythin' fancy, it will nae go over well." He went to the window overlooking the small river, the Barr Burn he had called it.

"I was going to wear the dress I wore to dinner with them in Southampton, it's fairly simple." I stood, putting my arms around his shoulder and leaning on him. "And the cloak your mother brought me, what did she call it again?"

"An arisaidh." He muttered, "She'll like that."

I stood a bit taller, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "I'm a Murdoch now Will, and they're my family too." He didn't say anything to that, simply sighing and turning around to hold me closer. I buried my head against his chest, feeling him stroke my hair. "I'll make them love me, after all, I already got your parents approval, and yours. How many are left?"

"Peg, but she already seems to be fine with ye." He started to move us to the bed. "Sam, he's a right prig sometimes." We settled down onto the bed. "Agnes, God, ye should have heard her and Ada get into it." He stretched out along the mattress while I curled around him. "Jeannie, and Samuel, they'll hae little Jeannie with 'em. She's alright, and he's decent."

I propped myself up on an arm, tapping his chest. "Three Murdochs to win over? And here I thought this was going to be a challenge."

The next day was better, Will walked me all around town and showed me as much as he could. We walked down the Burn where we picked wildflowers for his mother, he pointed out the way to the quarry where the town made most of its money, and everywhere it seemed that someone would wave us over and talk to Will. An old friend, a schoolteacher, or people who had heard about the sinking and knew his name from that. Will would greet them all with a smile, a handshake, and introduce me to them. We wound up meeting several friends of his father when we stopped by the pub for lunch.

I didn't speak a word of Gaelic, but I didn't need to know it to know that they were appraising me like a cow at a market. Although considering the grins and back slaps that Will received as they exited, I passed their judgement. But soon enough we were back at the inn, and Louise was helping with my hair. She pulled the iron from my hair, putting it back by the fire to warm again. She spoke around a mouthful of hairpins as she secured the curl. "Will you be late tonight, ma'am?"

"Perhaps." I muttered, powdering my nose. "Hopefully so, Will is going to want to catch up with his family for awhile. You and Reggie don't need to stay up, Will can help me."

"Of course, ma'am." Louise continued her curling, although she did help with my pearls after finishing my hair. I kept it to the necklace and earrings, the bracelets were a bit much. Louise helped secure the arisaidh around me, securing it with the silver brooch I'd gotten from Will for my birthday. She cast a rather critical eye over me after. "It doesn't quite go with your gown, ma'am." Indeed, the bright reds and greens contrasted quite harshly with the soft blue wool of my dress.

"It's more symbolic." I shrugged, pulling it close around me. Louise clearly held a different opinion, but she did hold out a basket to me, the gifts for Will's family. "I'll head down to meet Will, thank you Louise." I shivered as I entered the main room of the inn, even with the fire built up it was still rather cold.

Will was waiting in a dark navy suit, the pocket watch with the chain of my hair shining against his waistcoat. The small bouquet of flowers that we'd collected during the day was cradled in one arm, tied with a bit of ribbon. He gave me a kiss as he came over, "Ye look lovely, my dear."

"And you look handsome." I replied, taking his black gloved hand. A cab was already waiting for us, and quickly set off through the town. I gave his hand a squeeze, "Tonight is going to be perfect Will, don't worry."

"I'm nae worryin'." He grumbled, but I couldn't prod anything else out of him until we stopped outside his parent's house. It was made of the same gray granite as every other house, rather small and snug, but it stretched on for a bit. It was brightly lit, and Will glanced at it as he paid the cab. "Looks like we're the last ones."

"So I shall get to meet everyone all at once." I patted his arm, and we slowly took the steps. Will hesitated a moment before knocking, although he slipped his hand through mine, worrying my fingers.

The door opened slowly at first, but was quickly thrown wide. Peg was there, smiling. "Willie, Anastasia, come in, come in." She hustled us through the door, although she immediately started clucking over me. She glanced to Will, "Ye didnae teach her how ta wear it?"

"I dinnae wear 'em." He grumbled, but he was smiling as he did. Peg quickly had my cloak out of the brooch, folding it around until it rested over my shoulders and fell in pleats to the floor. Then she slid the brooch back through, although Will still rolled his eyes. "Happy, Peg?"

"Aye, now that she looks like a proper lass." Peg laughed, taking my hand. "Come along, Ma is waitin'." It turned out that the Murdoch house was a veritable rabbit warren of close, cozy rooms and Peg quickly had me in what was clearly the parlor. Samuel and Jeanie were sat close to the fire, and what I assumed to be Will's siblings were scattered among a collection of chairs and sofas. She led me right up to Jeanie, "Ma, look who's here."

"Anastasia!" Jeanie started to struggle out of her chair until Samuel reached out and patted her hand. She settled back down, "Oh, welcome to our home, lass. Did ye have ane easy trip?"

"Yes, it was very relaxing." I patted her hand as Samuel had done, feeling her bones through her thin skin. Her eyes were slightly cloudy, but still bright as she looked me over. I glanced back to Will. "We both had a pleasant trip over from France."

"France?" A male voice cut in, and given that it wasn't Samuel, I assumed it must be Will's brother, Sam. He had the Murdoch eyes, although his were a bit closer together and his nose rather sharp. "You didnae feel like goin' to Germany as well?"

"I found Paris much better than I think Berlin would hae been." Will came over, pressing a kiss to his mother's head. "How are ye, Ma?"

"Fine, fine." She waved him away, "Everyone keeps fussin', I've been fine." She cooed over the flowers for a moment, before urging Peg to go fetch a vase for them.

Samuel shook his head at his wife's comments. "Of course my dear, healthy as a horse." Judging by the lines around his eyes, he still worried even if she had been doing alright. "And we're all glad to have the whole family here."

"Aye," Sam snorted, "Although I was surprised ye didn't bring yer valet here to announce the both of ye, like he did to tell us ye were coming'."

Will groaned. "He did nae mean anythin' by it, and ye know that Sam. When did it become a problem to be polite?"

"When did ye start puttin' on airs? Da told us when he came back up from Southampton last year that ye don't even talk like yerself, William. That ye've gone English." Sam seemed to thicken his accent as he spoke, so much that I struggled to understand him for a minute.

"Now, Sam, don't be antagonizin' yer brother." Jeanie warned, managing to summon a glare that would have quelled a raging animal. "We're family here, and Anastasia is as much as Murdoch as ye."

"Wearin' the tartan don't make it so." Sam grumbled, but fell quiet when his father's lips tightened and a warning look entered his eyes. With the arrival of Peg, the flowers in a china vase, introductions were quickly made all around, Will's sister Agnes who was knitting a blanket by the fire, and his other sister Jeannie, her belly swollen with another child even as she was bouncing her little daughter Jeannie on her lap with her husband Samuel Sibbald by her side. Will's father headed off my comment, "Yes, I am aware that there seems to be a lack a' names in this town."

"Perhaps ye can name yer first son Samuel." Agnes muttered as she cast another stitch over her needles. "Ta keep up the tradition a course."

"I was actually considering something different." Will replied, putting his arm around my waist. "After Ana's father, since he's passed."

Agnes put her needles down. "Is there somethin' yer not tellin' us, Willie?"

"Oh, nothing." I shook my head, "Just thinking."

"'Tis always good to be thinking fer the future." Jeanie said, her voice still strong. "Now, 'tis time for dinner. Samuel, help me?" Her husband was instantly by her side, supporting her on his arm even as she leaned heavily on her cane. Will escorted me through the house until we reached the dining room, where Peg had just set down a large crown roast, the smell of juicy beef redolent in the air. Samuel helped Jeanie to sit at the head of the table, taking his place beside her. "Ah, 'tis lovely Peg. Thank you, love."

"Of course, Ma." Peg smiled, clearly pleased with the praise. "I only hope it cooked right."

Sam stood, picking up the carving knife. "I shall be the judge o' that." He quickly had a steak on everyone's plate, and I noticed a certain set to Will's face as he looked at mine. It was rather small, and overcooked, but I simply smiled and thanked Sam, covering it in the sauce that had been provided. When Agnes passed over the potatoes, after serving everyone else, I noticed that she neglected to include the butter, and it took Will reminding her for it to begrudgingly be offered. Peg at least happily handed me the salad, after serving her parents.

"So, Anastasia," Sam said after cutting his steak, "Am I pronouncin' that right? 'Tis quite a name."

"Oh yes," I nodded after eating a forkful of salad. "It's even unusual in New York."

"Da told us about yer supposed family." Sam glanced over to his father, currently putting another pat of butter on Jeanie's potatoes. "Do ye ever hear from them? Their Imperial Majesties of all the Russias and all. Can't quite remember the whole title, although I'm sure ye know it by heart."

I set my fork down, reaching down and taking Will's hand, for I could see him out of the corner of my eye, ready to say something. "Well, it's just a story. I half think my grandmother made it up to make my mother feel special. Or that she told it like a fairy tale to her, but we've never heard from anyone over there."

"But ye still live like 'em." Jeannie spoke up, gently mopping little Jeannie's face clean of steak sauce. "I saw some o' the things yer mother bought Ma and Da, I've never seen such fine things. That silk petticoat Ma brought back, 'tis a lovely thing. Wouldn't mind have one for meself."

"Oh, yes," Peg cut her eyes over to me. "You must let us send something back to her in thanks, it was such a kindness of her to open her home instead of putting them up in a hotel."

"I hardly doubt she noticed," Sam glanced over, "Given how big her house is."

Will, with a very pointed look at his brother, proceeded to place the bulk of his meat on my plate as he spoke. "I think she enjoyed having guests, and Ana's family has a tendency to spoil their friends."

"An' how are ye bein' spoiled, big brother?" Agnes raised a brow, "Aside from having all of society attend yer weddin' and goin' to Paris, o' course."

"Well, she got him a job." Sam answered his sister. "And a new ship, just for hisself."

I looked to Will, cutting the fresh meat on my plate. "The ship was already on order when Will joined us, and he met with the captain's full approval."

"And what be the name of that ship?" Sam tapped his finger against his cheek. "I find meself forgetting'. Did ye name it after yer mother? Oh, that's right, ye named it fer yerself."

Will stood at that. "Her father named that ship before he passed, and I'll not be havin' ye say a word against him." His hands were fisted by his sides. "He was a fine man, and he had already named a ship fer her mother. Christ, Sam!"

"Boys!" Samuel's voice suddenly boomed out, drawing the attention of the whole table. "I'll not be havin' you fightin', now sit and eat yer dinner." Still glaring at his brother, Will sat stiffly. I could see the captain in Samuel when he glared at his sons, the steely look in his eye. "Sam, she's yer sister-in-law, and I expect ye to treat her like family. Will, quit.." He trailed off, looking over to Jeanie. "Just quit, will ye?"

"Aye, Da." Will muttered, and the conversation quickly turned to little Jeannie and the impending arrival of a sibling for her, for Jeannie was six months along. Agnes seemed quite pleased with the fact, talking about how much she was looking forward to a new Murdoch joining the clan. I couldn't help but notice how much she kept looking at me when she spoke, and I knew it didn't escape Will either. But I'd been through dinners where things had been tense before, and I knew the secret was to keep my eyes on my plate, eat what was in front of me, and try not to talk. I only looked up when everyone stood, for Samuel had helped Jeanie to her feet.

She patted my hand as she walked by, "Thank ye fer comin', but I'm afraid I'm not one fer late drinks and conversation nowadays. I should like ye to come by before ye leave though, ta see ye one more time."

"Of course," I briefly embraced her. "I would be happy to."

Samuel turned to escort her up to her room, only stopping when Peg called out, her arms full of plates. "Don't forget to build up the fire in there, Da."

"I know, Peg." Samuel chuckled, shaking his head as he left.

I turned to Peg, "Is there anything I can do to help?" While I had never washed a dish in my life, it sounded vastly preferable to spending time around Sam and Agnes, which would no doubt lead to more fights between then and Will.

"Ach, nae." She shook her head, "Go relax in the parlor, I can handle this."

Jeannie, already in her coat, bustled back into the dining room. "And I've got ta be goin', 'tis time for the lass to go to bed." She gave everyone a kiss before collecting her husband, carrying their exhausted daughter, and was out the door. Which meant that it was Sam, Agnes, Will and myself in the parlor, sitting stiffly around the fire.

Agnes was the one who spoke up first. "We'll be needin' to lay in more firewood for the winter, what with Ma havin' to be kept warm all the time."

Sam nodded, "Aye, and the cost has gone up."

"I could help," I offered, hoping that they'd appreciate at least something about me. I certainly had enough money to see that they place stayed warm through the winter. It might not be much, but it could be an olive branch. "Or I could see a boiler installed and some radiators put in, if that would be better?"

"And where would ye put a boiler in here?" Sam snorted, a sneer forming on his lips. "And would ye expect me to tend it all day?"

"Well, no-"

"A course not, ye'd just hire someone to do it." He rolled his eyes, "Just like ye hae someone to brush yer hair, and fold yer clothes, and wipe yer bum fer all we know."

"Sam!" Will snapped, his face flushed. "That's enough from ye."

"Oh, I'm so sorry Willie, yer valet didn't mention that ye let yer wife drag ye around by yer nose." He turned back to me. "We're not some charity case ye need to support, I can buy firewood fer me Ma, because she's me Ma, not yers. Do ye offer to buy her firewood too, to heat that mansion she lives in by herself?"

"And ye aren't even home all the time." Agnes's lips were pursed as she glanced over. "Workin' and going to parties instead of takin' care o' yer Ma, especially after losing yer Da." My stomach was twisting around itself as she continued. I could feel my mouth working, but no words came out as she continued. "Ye have enough money ye don't have ta work, so why do ye? Ye should be at home, getting ready for yer children. Will wrote me about all those parties ye go to, such foolishness. Ye need to be focused on having a bairn as quickly as ye can."

Will slammed his hand down on the table, making me jump. "Agnes! I will not have ye speak to my wife in such a manner. Christ, she's yer sister in law!"

"And she's making me question yer choice in women, dear brother. Ada was bad enough, looking after other's children all the time. But her, even if she has to work she should stick to the feminine sphere. Running a company, I'm surprised she isn't wearing trousers or parading around with those suffragettes. And it's not as if she needs ta be workin', not with her millions."

Will fairly growled at her. "Perhaps if ye had a family of your own, ye'd understand letting yer spouse live their own life!"

"And what family besides us do ye have Will? A late wife and one ye practically stole from her cradle? At least I've been here, I've been taking care of Ma while ye've been getting wined and dined!"

"Aye, and perhaps if ye let some man wine and dine ye instead of breathing fire at any man that came to the door ye'd be introducing your children to their new aunt!" The anger in his voice was almost palpable, I felt tears pricking at my eyes, and I blindly grabbed for the basket of gifts that I had left in here earlier. I wanted out of this house, I wanted away from those two. Part of me thought about using the silk handkerchief I had embroidered for Agnes, but Will had already pressed one into my hands and was gently shoving me away. I looked up to him, "Will, I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything. I just wanted to help."

"Nae, ye didn't." He stepped in front of me to block my view of Agnes and Sam. "Go find Peg and have her call a cab, get back to the inn."

"But you-"

"I'll be back later." He gave me another slight shove. "Go, now." I found myself hurtling through the confusing mess of rooms, desperately trying to remember where the front door was. I wound up bumbling into the kitchen, but found myself running from Peg and her questions about what had put me into such a state. In the end, I stumbled into Samuel, coming down from the bedroom where he'd left Jeanie.

He caught me by the shoulders, his brow furrowed. "Lass, what's the matter?"

"It's," I mopped at my face. "It's nothing. I just need to get back to the inn, Will is going to stay awhile longer. But I," I held up the basket. "I brought these for all of you, and I didn't get a chance to pass them out. Could you call a cab for me?"

He took the basket, setting it on a table. "I've got a better idea, I'll be walkin' ye back, and ye can tell me what happened." He led me back through the house, shaking his head as he heard the argument still carrying on in the parlor. I couldn't even tell what was being said, for it had devolved into a mess of Gaelic and Scots, what English there was was so thickly accented that it barely registered as such. He shook his head as we went out through the front door. "Those children a mine, I swear, 'tis enough to drive a man to madness."

"I'm sorry," I muttered, feeling him put an arm around my shoulders. "I didn't mean to start a fight." I swiped at my eyes again. "I didn't do anything. I just offered to help, I swear Samuel, that's all."

"'Tis not yer fault, Willie and Sam have butted heads fer years." Samuel sighed, starting us off down the darkened streets. "And here I thought I raised him better than that."

"Oh, Will is a wonderful man-"

"Nae, 'tis Sam I mean." He dragged a hand down his face. "He wanted to follow in the family trade, but he couldnae pass his exams. Three times that boy sat fer them, never passed. I set him up with a friend o' mine in Kirkcudbright, running a chandler's so he'd at least be close to us. And then a few years ago he came back, ta' help with Jeanie."

"I'd like to offer whatever help I can too," I glanced up. "If something can be done, or if a doctor from Glasgow or Edinburg needs to come down to tend to her, I can pay." I took in a breath. "I want to pay, she's part of my family now."

"And that's very kind o' ye, Anastasia." He patted my shoulder. "But Sam feels that he should be the only one to help his Ma, even though we all do our part." He sighed, shaking his head. "Not that I agree with him, o' course."

I looked down, pulling the folds of my ariseidh around myself. "I brought a blanket for Jeanie, a nice thick fleece one. Mother said she liked the ones at the house."

"That was very kind o' ye," Sam continued on for a bit, "I'm sure she'll be verra happy with it." The walk back to the inn was indeed rather long, and I'd at least stopped sniffing away my tears by the time we reached it. Samuel looked around the main room, dark and quiet for the night, with only a watchman observing us from behind a newspaper. "Ye sure ye'll be alright? I could stay until Will comes back."

"I'll be fine." I looked down, "I'm just going to head up. Thank you for walking me back, Samuel."

"We're family, lass. 'Tis the least I could do." He leaned down to gently hug me, before heading back for the door. "I'll send me boy back yer way, long as he hasn't killed Sam."

In was only the intervention of a wise and merciful Lord, and his sister Peg, that had stopped Will from wrapping his hands around his brother's throat after he had decided to insult Ada as well as Ana. Will's blood had been rushing in his ears, but as soon as he heard Sam talking about how he seemed to treat the ships he was on like a floating marriage market, he'd lunged across at him. "Ye shut yer mouth, right now!"

"Aye, perhaps they're more brothels, then?" Sam taunted, safe behind the bulwark that Peg was providing. "At least ye moved up from second class, although an American? I thought you marryin' an Australian was bad enough, ye should be settled down here with a good Scottish lass, not those barbaric ladies ye seem to prefer."

"Sam!" Peg whirled on him. "Jesus Christ above, must ye dig at that? The poor girl is gone, let 'er rest."

"He went and married 'er knowing that Jenny Thomson has always had eyes fer 'im." Sam was almost spitting now, and Will did feel a twinge of guilt. Jenny was a fine lass, a few years younger than himself, who had been making cow eyes at him since she'd been old enough to notice boys. Will had liked her, not enough to start courting her, but he couldn't count the times she'd turned Sam down, hoping his brother would come calling. After Peg had told him about Sam moaning about it, Will had tried to make her notice Sam, talking about how long he'd be gone and how well Sam would do at the chandler's, but she hadn't wavered.

"Christ, again with Jenny." Peg almost shouldered her slightly older brother back from Will. "She's been married fer ten years, you weren't man enough to even ask her to dance!"

"He's always had everythin'." Sam growled, "Apple o' everyone's eyes, and yet how often does he come here? Has he sat up when Ma had her pains and there's nothing he could do? No, I have! I've been the one taking care of everythin', and I get nothin' fer it!"

Agnes's needles continued their clicking. "Will should have come back long ago and ye know it Peg," She glanced up from her knitting. "Why didn't ye leave yer work and bring Ada up 'ere? I even showed the both of ye that house that was fer sale when ye brought her 'round."

"Ada wanted to be in Southampton." Will practically deflated, thinking of her. Ada, smart and pretty Ada, laughing with the Lightollers and always so glad to see him home. Poor, sweet Ada, languishing in fever and pain, waiting for him. Will blinked away the thoughts, "She wanted to be where she could see me when I came in, she wanted to be in our house."

"Which ye've no doubt sold because yer new wife said ta." Agnes continued, "How is yer new house? Stocked with paintings and servants, all courtesy of yer wife?"

Will whirled on her, any rational thought gone as he addressed the both of his siblings. "Tha bata fuilteach agad suas do asal!"

"And that is enough out of ye, boy." Samuel, drawn up to his full height, stepped loudly into the parlor. "And the both of ye, Christ's sake, ye're all acting like children!"

"I'm nae lettin' some American bitch walk in to my family's home and throw her money around to convince all of ye that she's some saint." Sam snarled, stalking forward. "Nae when I've been the one doin' all the work to keep us in food and warmth."

Samuel pinned his son in place with a gaze. "Ye know well enough that William has sent home money with every pay he gets to help. And Anastasia means no insult with offering to help, and ye know that too." Sam slowly sat at that. "Ye acted like a right fool tonight Sam, and have disappointed all of us. Ye should just be glad I willnae be tellin' yer ma what ye said, 'twould break her heart to think her little boy could be so cruel."

"Da-" Sam's voice was a lot quieter, but was quickly overpowered.

"I am givin' ye two options, Sam. Ye can apologize ta 'er, or ye can go stay in Dumfries until they leave." Samuel turned to his elder daughter, still knitting by the fire. "And that goes fer ye too, Agnes. Don't ye be thinkin' that I didn't hear ye at dinner, or just now."

"Da, please," Agnes's needles fell silent. "I only want Will ta come back, to raise 'is family here." She glanced across to Sam, "He should be here ta help with everythin', not sailin' or takin' his wife ta parties."

"Why would I want to have my family 'ere when ye just treated my wife like that?" Will almost shouted, although he softened for a moment when Peg looked over her shoulder at him. "Ye sent her cryin' from the house, ye know."

"That's enough, Willie." Samuel's voice was much calmer when he turned to his eldest son. "She's back at the Burnside, ye should head over before it gets any later." He turned to his two troublemakers. "But I'll have an answer, now."

Sam hesitated for a moment. "I'll go to Dumfries, I'm not bowing to that bitch." He looked over. "Agnes?"

"I'll join him," She stood, moving to stand across from Will and Peg. "Ye can squire her about without worryin' about yer family, not that ye have worried about us in years." Will had to bite down a reply that would have been replete with cursing, but he refused to curse in front of his father.

"I'll call fer yer rooms," Samuel glared at the two of them. "Since neither of ye are mature enough to apologize, ye can catch the first train out in the mornin'. Now, away with ye." He jerked his thumb, sending the two scuttling off.

Peg blew out a breath, looking upward. "Thank you, God."

"Now," Samuel turned to Will. "Ye should walk back to the inn, yer wife was still in a bit of state when I left her. I'll arrange ye comin' over again to see yer ma, and tell Anastasia not to worry about the gifts."

"Da," Will couldn't help but look at his feet. "I'm sorry fer fightin' with them." This was not only his father, but also his first captain. Samuel was a hard captain, but not a hard man. He wanted his men to abide by his rules, to treat each other fairly, and to admit their own mistakes. So long as you did that, he was understanding, which Will was praying for as he continued. "I only wanted to defend me wife."

"Both of them." Samuel clapped a hand on Will's shoulder. "Ye did nothin' wrong standin' up fer them, but next time be the more responsible one and don't let yer brother bait ye so badly."

"Aye, sir."

"Now, kiss yer sister goodbye and go to yer wife." Will could tell that was an order, and he pressed a kiss to Peg's cheek before heading out. The whole walk back to the inn he cursed himself. Nothing pleased Sam more than a fight, and he'd fallen right for it. And nothing pleased Agnes more than to pick at someone's deficiencies like a loose thread, he'd known that for years. He should have, God how many times had he thought about what he should have done? He should have warned them off, he should have kept them around Ma where they'd at least behave. He should have prepared Ana for how bad his siblings could be. Every single thing he should have done began to pound through his brain.

He should have turned sooner, he should have seen the berg, he should have arrived home sooner to at least hold Ada's hand when she slipped away.

Should, should, should. So many shoulds, so many things he had done wrong. He paused before going into the inn, trying to collect himself. He'd done wrong, but he'd done right too. He'd saved the Arabic, he'd saved Ana several times, and he'd been fortunate to have two women love him enough to marry a foolish sailor. He tried to hold onto that as he entered, heading upstairs. The door was unlocked, and he slowly opened it. "Ana?"

"Will?" The room was dark, lit only by the fire, but it was enough to see Ana sat on the bed. And enough to glint off the tear tracks on her cheeks before she swiped them away. "You're back."

"Aye," He closed the door, coming to sit by her. "I'm sorry fer what happened."

She sniffed, and Will drew her into his arms. "I'm the one who's sorry, I shouldn't have offered to help with the firewood."

"Ana, ye didnae mean anything by it but ta help." He pressed a kiss to her hair, the curls slowly coming out of it. "Ah, my neach-gaoil, dinnae think it was ye."

"But it is!' Ana sniffed, fresh tears coming out the corner of her eyes. "I don't seem to fit here, nothing I do is right! I don't even know what you called me right now."

"It means sweetheart, or beloved." He rocked her back and forth lightly. "And that's what ye are, ye are my beloved and nothing my pighead of a brother says will change that." She still sobbed a bit, but it slowed as he kept at it. Once she had calmed, he started working the pins out of her hair. "Now, we're going to have a delightful trip here, just to spite those two."

"Sailing?" Her fingers moved up to help him. "Fishing?"

"Aye, both of those." The pins started to pile up by the washbasin. "And hikin' too, plenty a that aroun' here."

She was quiet for a moment, and he took the opportunity to start working on the buttons of her dress. "Could you wear the kilt when we go hiking?"

"Love," He paused his work for moment. "'Tis not exactly the easiest thing to hike in."

"Oh please," She snorted, and Will didn't think he'd heard a more pleasing sound in his life. "I'll be in skirts as well."

"Aye, well, it may as well be the both of us then." He chuckled, returning to the buttons. In short order she was quickly divested of her clothing, as was he, and Will held her close as she slowly fell asleep. He made sure the scent she was wearing in her hair, something floral that soothed him to calmness, was the last thing to enter his mind. He tried to calm himself with that floral smell, thinking about what it meant. His beautiful, lovely wife, asleep in his arms and clearly here by choice. Such things were what a man longed for, and Will pressed one last kiss to her cheek before settling into sleep himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.5K 210 24
Katerina Rogers is a wealthy 17 year old girl who is going on Titanic with her father. Her mother died when she was 5 years old. Her father is a very...
1M 51.6K 73
β€ŸTonight shall be the first and last night that we spend together, Gianita, for I do not intend to produce heirs by this marriage. The Prince would s...
38.9K 938 18
Settling for a lonely life, Sibylla never thought she would overcome her fears of letting another man into her heart. Until she met him. Started | M...
250K 7.6K 184
Just a bunch of angsty, saucy, fluffy short stories about everyone's favourite slow burn ship. Literally slow burn- CENTURIES OLD. Add this bad boi t...