Mend My Heart

By deetronite

One mistake at work lands Maya Knight paying off a debt in the hands of a troubled, wealthy, and undeniably a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2
New Book Alert.

Chapter 15

7.1K 588 51
By deetronite

Maya’s P.O.V

The weekend went by in a blur, and it was uneventful. For starters, Mr. Duke made it abundantly clear that he was avoiding me and it somehow made my heart clench painfully. It made me question myself a lot. Was I not pretty enough for him? Did I not fit into his calibre of woman to be with? It was pitiful to say the least.

My resentment for him at managed to soar because never in my life had I ever been confused by a man who had been sending me mixed signals left, right and centre. If he had just kept it professional, I wouldn’t be in this stupid situation, battling my overthinking mind. I could at least discuss it with Lexi and she fully agreed with me that that man is a grade A douchebag.

On another note, there had been an unspoken truce between me and the twins. It was like I had somehow gained their respect from the awesome prank I’d pulled a few days ago, if I do say so myself. But I knew those two midgets were definitely brewing something behind the scenes and I had no idea what it was but when it happened, it wasn’t going to be pretty.

I placed Mr. Dukes breakfast plate in front of him just as Meredith did the same for his mother and the little Dukes. Everyone was up bright and early for some apparent reason but it seemed that they were all going out. Mr. Duke nodded curtly in acknowledgement and began to take his bland breakfast consisting of toast, eggs and coffee apart. I say bland because it lacked colour and creativity. And the idiot ate it every single day. 

Jus before I walked out, he asked his mother a question. “Mum, why are you guys up and ready. Are you going somewhere?” 

Mrs. Duke sipped on her tea before responding. “I’m taking the twins to…well, visit their umm…mother. It’s been a month since the last time they’d seen her and she’s in town so it’s convenient,” she spoke lowly, regarding him with cautious eyes.

Mr. Duke stiffened as soon as she finished her statement. “We’re excited to see her since we don’t see her a lot. I wish mommy still lived with us,” Brianna said with longing as her eyes lingered on her bowl of cereal. I know it was wrong of me to listen in on this, but I was still very curious as to what exactly had happened between their mother and father. Why wasn’t she part of the picture anymore.

“I miss mommy, daddy. Can she come back?” Aiden pouted and that’s when Mr. Duke basically threw his utensils onto his plate with a loud clutter. He abruptly rose from his seat and stormed out of the room like a bat out of hell.

“I told you two not to talk about your mother when your father is around. Do you understand that?” Ms. Duke admonished them and they nodded in fake understanding. I took that as my queue to finally leave the room and re-enter the kitchen.

Ann and Matt had been eavesdropping from the corner but as soon as I walked over the threshold, they pretended to be busy with other tasks. What a bunch of fakers! “You two literally have no shame!” I tsked in amusement and they both blushed profusely. 

“We live for the gossip. It’s our only source of entertainment!” Ann defended weakly, eliciting a chuckle from me. 

“Any idea why he gets like that when the twins’ mother is mentioned?” I asked but they both remained quiet. 

Matt shook his head. “That is something we have been forbidden to talk utter anything about. The master does not appreciate it when anyone delves into the matter so talking about it could even get us fired. Sorry love, but that’s just something you just might never know,” he said seriously and apologetically. I understood that completely; whatever it was, it clearly still affected him.

From the window, I watched as he made his way to the car in angry strides, simultaneously barking something into his cell phone. Just before he entered, he must have felt my gaze because our eyes locked momentarily. His eyes were hollow, chilling and sorrowful. It made me feel empathetic towards him. He then looked away and disappeared into the Rolls Royce. 

Meredith then entered the kitchen with empty plates. “Knight, you can go get the kids ready for their outing and help them get settled in the car,” she barked authoritatively at me and I rolled my eyes at her, not bothering to dignify her with a response. 

I was just glad that the Dukes wouldn’t be in my space for the better part of the day. I could finally have some me time, well a certain degree of me time. I just hope Meredith won’t be on my ass, heaven knows I needed a break from all the hostility I’d been receiving in this cursed mansion. 

Downstairs after I’d helped the kids wear light coats in case the weather changed drastically, I helped them settle in their booster seats. The same obnoxious driver from last time was grinning in a perverted manner at. “Would you stop looking at me like that? You’re such a creep!” I snapped angrily at him, and to no surprise he just chuckled.

“Is it a crime for me to admire your beauty?” he remarked boldly and I almost then and there slapped the crap out of his stupid face. Seriously, what is it with this guy? Can’t he just leave me alone.

I sighed. “What will it take for you to leave me alone, dude?” I asked him in exasperation.

He stepped closer to me, his warm yet minty breath tickling my face. “I’d like to take you out some time,” he whispered seductively or so he thought. I snorted and crossed my arms.

“And what makes you think I’d ever go anywhere with you, genius?” I mocked him with a sarcastic smile. “I don’t even know your name.”

He smirked. “The names-,” he was about to say but then he was cut off by Ms. Duke’s shrill voice.

“Leslie, stop the chattering and get the car started!” she snarled at him and he quickly ran over to the driver’s seat, leaving me with to laugh. Leslie? What a lame name. “I’d advise you to stop fraternizing with that boy. Theo might not be too happy about that.”

And what exactly did she mean by that? I wanted to ask her but she had already gotten into the car. I was left in puzzlement as the car took off. With a shrug, I cast the thought aside and made my way back into the mansion. I grinned as I remember that I could do virtually whatever I wanted today and I was going to make the most out of it. 

                                                                                          ***

Un-freaking-believable!

It was almost eleven o’clock and Mr. Duke was not back yet! I’d already almost fallen asleep about ten times and at some point, I’d fallen off the stool that I was sitting on in the kitchen. I was furious to say the least that he had the audacity to do this when he knew full well that I’d be waiting up for him to serve him his food like a dotting wife. 

Just when I thought I was going to start pulling my hair out, I heard the front door open. I cursed colourfully under my breath at him and I was about to up from my seat to go and greet him but he entered the kitchen. He looked surprised to see me. “Oh, you’re still awake,” he said and I held back the urge to scoff. Of course, I’m still up, dimwit

“Yeah, I was waiting for you,” I replied in a groggy voice. I was so sleepy and it was way past my usual bed time. 

He ran a hand through his already dishevelled hair. In fact, his whole self seemed unkempt, his shirt rolled up at the sleeves but crumpled. Long gone were his ties and jacket. And his face was pale, eyes hollow and face distraught. Overall, he didn’t look too good.

I frowned at him. “Are you okay. You don’t seem too okay,” I said softly and he shook his head. I was still on my seat and he came over to occupy the one adjacent to mine. I was surprised by his sudden act.

“To be honest, I had a bloody shitty day. And I normally am good at maintaining my cool but today, I just couldn’t. I just haven’t been okay for a long time and I guess I’ve been covering it up for too long. I’d like to talk about it but it’s just damn messy and daunting…I really shouldn’t be bothering you with this, go to bed,” he ranted in a tired tone and then made a move to get up and leave but my arm caught his elbow.

He looked down at my hand and then me. It was a very bold action on my part but he really seemed upset, and by the looks of it he had no one to talk to. And I don’t know what it was about him in that exact moment but I just wanted to be there for him. He reminded me a lot about myself over the years. I knew what it was like to be going through emotional distress and not trust anybody enough to confide in. It takes a toll on your mental health and well-being. It also wasn’t every day that such an alpha male type man looked so weak…

I pulled him down and he sat back onto the barstool. “It’s not a bother, I’d like to hear whatever it is that you have to say,” I tell him gently with a small smile. He groans before running his hands over his handsome face in frustration. 

“I…can’t really talk about this. It hurts me too much, the wound is still too fresh for me,” he spoke in a low but pained voice. It was heart breaking to see him like this. I know I really shouldn’t be wearing my heart on a sleeve like this, but I had sympathy for him. This was somebody who was obviously haunted by their past.

“Hey, whatever it is, the pain will not last forever. I don’t know what it is that you’re going through but all I know you’re strong and you’ll get over it,” I said sincerely and then did the unthinkable. 

I stretched my arms towards him and hugged him.

And he must have been shocked by my out of the blue gesture because he froze up for a few seconds but eventually his arms slid over my back. It was a while before we pulled back and he looked at me with his penetrating eyes. Suddenly, I felt self-conscious under his hide to decipher gaze. Heat crept up my neck when he tucked a loose strand of my hair behind my ear. Instead of retracting his hand, he began to stroke my cheek and a weird sensation washed over my belly.

No words were exchanged between us and slowly I noticed his head dip towards me. Warning bells went off in my head but I didn’t heed them. This is the same thing that happened yesterday but nobody was there to disturb us. The house was eerily silent, clearly signifying that everybody was asleep. I really should have moved out of his space and ran off to my room, but my buttocks were glued to my seat. His lips brushed gently against mine. This would be a good time to push him away but deep down my stubborn self didn’t want to. 

Was it so bad that I wanted him to just hurry up and kiss me already?

“You really should stop me, Maya,” he whispered against my lips. I was already dizzy from his citrusy cologne and entrancing proximity.

“What if I don’t want you to,” I replied shakily. With the way my heart was beating erratically, I could just faint if I didn’t allow him to do what he was about to do.

It was long before that when our lips collided and the fireworks, I’d read about in those cheesy romance novels, sparked all around us. Screw consequences, we both had been waiting for this moment for some time now.

____________________________

And then they lived happily ever after. THE END.

As if, this rollercoaster is just getting started!

What did you think about the chapter...and the kiss?

As I said in my previous book, I like it when a guy gets vulnerable. I think it's cute 🥺

Anyways, enjoy reading!

Vote, Comment and Share 🔥⤵️

~Deetronite ✨

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.2K 1.8K 50
Daisy has been a stripper all of her life against her wishes. With an annoyingly genius brother to take care of, she is ready to do whatever it takes...
15 0 34
Maya finds herself battling between two lovers and the streets. Maya has always been that chick who rode out for her friends. She always made a way o...
307K 8.3K 45
Victoria Hale had everything she ever wanted in life. She was the daughter of a multi-millionaire, with a loving family. Every girl wanted to be her...
177K 3.8K 33
Jason I started kissing her jaw but not kissing her lips, I like to tease her "Jason please... " she moans grabbing my hair. "Patience baby, do you...