Justice League: Monolith

By GlobalGeneration

The Justice League, a band of superheroes that have sworn to protect the universe from evil and destruction... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Gotham
Chapter Two: The Watchtower
Chapter Three: Mount Justice II
Chapter Four: Central City
Chapter Five: Star City
Chapter Six: Metropolis
Chapter Seven: Los Angeles
Chapter Eight: New York City
Chapter Nine: Farfield Harbor
Chapter Ten: New York City
Chapter Eleven: The Watchtower
Chapter Twelve: Blüdhaven
Chapter Thirteen: New York City
Chapter Fourteen: Mount Justice II
Chapter Fifteen: Blüdhaven
Chapter Sixteen: Metropolis
Chapter Seventeen: Blüdhaven
Chapter Nineteen: Star City
Chapter Twenty: Gotham
Chapter Twenty-One: Uraria
Chapter Twenty-Two: Belle Reve
Chapter Twenty-Three: Uraria
Chapter Twenty-Four: Mount Justice II
Chapter Twenty-Five: Belle Reve
Chapter Twenty-Six: Uraria
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Belle Reve
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Uraria
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Mount Justice II
Chapter Thirty: Uraria
Epilogue

Chapter Eighteen: Mount Justice II

289 19 0
By GlobalGeneration

Mount Justice II, 5/11/15, 11:23 AM

Two days ago, the young heroes Robin and Kid Flash had been rescued from their captors in Blüdhaven. Psimon, Bane, and many captured guards were apprehended and taken to Belle Reve prison. It was a great victory, but however it did not come without loss. Arsenal, or Roy Harper had been killed in action. Black Canary and Cyborg had found him dead, he had tried to save them from the hooded-figure that had attacked them.

Batman looked around now as the Justice League and Team gathered in the crypt beneath the Cave where the heroes' dead were buried. Artemis, Plastic Man, and many others were down here, now Arsenal would join them.

"We remember Roy as a hero." Oliver went on with tears streaming from his eyes, "He strived to do good despite the danger that opposed him and now because of his actions we know the plans of our enemies that he sought to defeat. Roy may have saved us all due to his bravery. May he rest in peace."

The whole room was filled with emotion, even Bruce felt it as the heroes went up one-by-one to say their words. Robin, Kid, and Aqualad felt especially saddened, they had known Roy their whole life and now he was gone.

Bruce stood next to Diana and Clark as the event went on. He looked over as Oliver walked to Dinah. He could hear him whisper in anger.

"I'm going to find the person who did this." He sobbed with his fists clenched. Dinah embraced him as he wept.

"Where do we go from here?" Diana asked leaning over to Bruce, "We know now that Luthor is working with Wyvern, so that assassin must be working for Wyvern as well."

"It all leads back to Uraria." Bruce nodded, "I knew we should have taken him when we had the chance."

"The League voted." Clark spoke, "The Team was nominated to go in and observe. We still have yet to send them."

"Dinah is still against it?" Diana asked.

"No. She spoke her mind to me yesterday." Bruce shook his head, "She says she believes they are ready. After their bravery shown on the Watchtower she believes they can handle it."

"Let's hope she is right." Diana nodded looking over at the Team, "They are still so shaken up."

"Which is why it is important that they be sent in as soon as possible." Bruce glanced at her as she looked over, it was a wonder Diana was not a mother.

"What about John and Connor?" Clark asked raising an eyebrow, "I want them found as soon as possible."

"Since it's likely Luthor has them both, we need to find them as quickly as possible. They were not at the facility, but perhaps they are in Uraria."

"Perhaps." Clark repeated with hope, "How is Red Tornado?"

"He is repairing his body. He should be operational by tomorrow according to his calculations at least." Bruce replied.

"Good, we need every League member ready. I feel as though Savage is going to be fitting into this whole picture very soon. I don't trust him, especially with all the villains he has amassed. Warp, Mammoth, Black Spider, Count Virtigo! They are dangerous, and with him even more so."

"We'll stop him." Diana's eyes narrowed, "No matter what it takes, both Luthor and Savage will be stopped."

"I hope you're right." Bruce and Clark said in unison, the war was growing greater now. Bruce hoped that the Team would be able to play their part well.

"Whatever this 'Monolith' is," Bruce said as the coffin that held Roy was moved into the ground, "We'll stop both Savage and Luthor from getting their paws on it. This Aphelion will also know who we are once we're done with him."

"So where are the Lantern?" Diana spoke after a moment of silence.

"Hal said they were heading to Las Vegas." Clark shrugged, "Said they had a meeting with fate."

"Fate huh?" Bruce asked raising an eyebrow, "That sounds interesting..."

Las Vegas, 5/11/15, 1:02 PM

Hal looked down the street as he landed, there were no pedestrians at this hour in the morning. Kilowog landed beside him, Hal had to scout the area to make sure no civilians saw him else it would cause a panic.

"So who is this guy again? You said his name was...?"

"Kent." Hal replied walking towards their destination, "He's an old friend of mine." He was headed towards an empty lot of grass.

"Why do we need to find him?"

"Because I think we might need him for whatever Lex Luthor is planning. Only Doctor Fate can stop this." Hal replied narrowing his eyes at the large patch of grass. He raised his ring and scanned the area, something was shielding the area from his sight.

He moved forward, but he did not need to investigate any further. A huge tower appeared in front of him, it was the Tower of Fate home to Doctor Fate himself. The huge doors of the tower opened wide allowing Hal and Kilowog entrance.

"Whoa..." Kilowog said impressed, "Not bad for magic..."

"Just don't make him mad." Hal said walking in, the doors closed behind them as they entered. An older man stepped into the light of the torches in the poorly lit chamber.

"Good to see you again Hal." The man dipped his head, "Here allow me to shed some more light on us." He waved his hand with a sort of grace that Hal had not seen in a long time, as he did so the torches began lighting up along the hallway, "You have a lot to tell me I'm guessing."

"We do." Hal nodded as Kent led them down the hallway, "We've come to ask you a favor."

Kent stopped mid-stride, without turning his head he began speaking lowly.

"I can't." He said in a deep toned voice, "I'm too weak, Hal. I can't put it on anymore."

"This world needs Doctor Fate more than ever." Hal pleaded, but Kent began walking again with his cane still.

"I'm afraid that even if I wanted to, I would not be able to put the helmet on." Kent went on, "My body would be destroyed by it's power. I used to be able to handle it, but with age comes weakness. I don't have the power to withstand it any longer."

"So what do you propose we do?" Hal asked tilting his head.

"You find a new host for Doctor Fate. Someone that is willing to give up their life so that he can protect the world again." Kent explained as they reached a kitchen area, he moved over to the cupboard and grabbed himself a cup. He flicked his fingers filling it with tea and lifted it up drinking from the small cup.

"And who would do that?" Kilowog asked crossing his arms, "They'd have to have a lot of bravery and courage."

"Sounds like the aspects of a hero." Kent said staring at Hal, Hal realized what he was thinking immediately.

"Kent, I can't." He shook his head, "I have people I care about that I need to be here for. Doctor Fate doesn't care about Carol, if she were in danger..."

"I was not intending on having you take the job." Kent shook his head, "You're a Green Lantern, sworn to protect the universe not just Earth itself. I was intending on having a slightly younger individual." Kent stomped his cane on the ground and the wall opened up allowing a young man to enter the room.

"Who's this kid?" Kilowog asked stepping back and observing the young man.

"His name is-" Kent began, but the kid cut him off.

"Kyle Rayner." The kid said putting out his hand, Kilowog grinned and took it shaking him around rapidly.

"The boy has volunteered." Kent explained walking over to Kyle, "He will take on the role of Doctor Fate."

"What possessed you to do that?" Hal asked raising an eyebrow at the kid.

"My family is dead, sir." Kyle looked down becoming a bit darker, "I have nothing to protect anymore than Earth. If I can do that by becoming Doctor Fate, then you should be damn well sure that I'll do it!"

"Very well then." Hal nodded, "I guess you're the best man for the job."

"Indeed." Kent agreed with a smile, "It is time we say our goodbyes. We must waste no time. Fate is awaiting."

Mount Justice II, 5/11/15, 12:45 PM

"Time to go already?" Kid asked as he looked up at Barry.

"I guess so Kid." Barry said nodding and putting his hand on Wally's shoulder, "Be careful alright? I don't think your mom is already too happy about any of this, but I don't want her losing her son again."

"Don't worry, I'll be fine." Wally laughed, and smiled back, "Just take care of my parents for me."

"I will." Barry nodded smiling back. He gave Wally hug before he sped aboard the Bio-Ship.

On the other side of the ship, Miss Martian and Martian Manhunter embraced as they said their goodbyes.

"Remember to keep your mind-link up at all times." John said looking down at his protégé, "Never let your guard down."

"Of course." Miss Martian nodded and embraced John.

"Goodbye Uncle John!" Beastboy yelled jumping at the two of them, "I'll miss you!"

Across from them, Aqualad, Robin, Wondergirl, Cyborg, Blue Beetle and Starfire said goodbyes to Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Black Canary, and Captain Atom.

"Remember, maintain radio silence." Batman informed Robin and Aqualad, "We can't afford to have this mission go awry and have all of you captured. But...good luck."

"Got it." The two nodded, and Robin continued, "And thanks."

"Remember your training and you'll be fine." Aquaman smiled and dipped his head.

"I will use everything you taught me, my King." Aqualad bowed and Aquaman smiled putting his hand on his apprentice's shoulder.

"I'm proud of you Kaldur'ahm." Aquaman moved his hand away.

"I'll miss you!" Wondergirl yelled embracing Wonder Woman, "And I you, Cassie!" She laughed and hugged Cassie back.

"The time has come everybody." Superman said as the Team gathered, "Remember your training, keep safe, and try to find Connor and John Stewart. Find out what Luthor and Savage are up to and get out as soon as possible."

The Team nodded and boarded the Bio-Ship. Now things were real, the true mission was on. Everything was at stake. Everything.

Star City, 5/12/15, 1:23 AM

The church was quiet as the hooded-man walked in. He could feel the sweat beading on his forehead under his mask as he moved in slowly. He was sticking to the shadows as he moved in, the orders were always so clear, stay out of sight and get the envelopes to their designated spot. The man moved in silently and quietly as he inched towards the pews. He reached out with the envelope in hand, for some strange reason his hand was shaking. He had no clue why, he had done this a million times before yet now he was nervous. Why? What reason could he possibly-?

"Agh!" The man yelled as he felt a hand clasp around his wrist. The hand twisted his wrist lifting him into the air, "Let me go!" He yelled as the newcomer threw him into the pews. The man smashed through several rows and slumped on the ground. He looked up as a buff man walked towards him, the man had a lightning bolt on his chest over a black shirt. The stranger reached down grabbing the man by the collar of his shirt under his cloak.

"You're going to tell me everything or I'll rip your insides out and wrap them around your body for everyone to see." The stranger whispered in the man's ear, "Now start talking."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

829 18 46
In this universe, superheroes are wolves with magical powers. The Justice League is still around, protecting Central City and the entirety of Earth...
1.9K 24 8
Devil May Cry P.I and Justice League join forces to fight a common enemy that threatens to release Mundus from his imprisonment.
8.5K 224 15
In which, the heroes lose the Flash, only to find out months later, that he's now an assassin for the League. Disclaimer: I don't own the characters...
31.4K 817 22
When four young protégés discover a wicked secret in D.C, a new age of heroism begins. Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, and of course, Supergirl, this is Y...