Shortie - Jayson Tatum

By DaveIsFave

Naomi is an athletic trainer for the Charlotte Hornets. How does she juggle her busy career and love? Follow... More

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twenty One.
Twenty Two.
Twenty Three.
Twenty Four.
Twenty Five.
Twenty Six.
Twenty Seven.
Twenty Eight.
Thirty.
Thirty One.
Thirty Two.
Thirty Three.
Thirty Four.
Thirty Five.
Thirty Six.
Thirty Seven.
Thirty Eight.
Thirty Nine.
Forty.
Forty One.
Forty Two.
Forty Three.
Forty Four.
Forty Five.
Forty Six.
Forty Seven.
Forty Eight.
Forty Nine.
Fifty.
Fifty One.
Fifty Two.
Fifty Three
Fifty Four.
Fifty Five.
Fifty Six.

Twenty Nine.

4.4K 150 64
By DaveIsFave

Happy Birthday to that boi Melo! Hit the big 21.

Did they take the in chapter ads away?! See. Bullying works! I'm kidding fr. Don't be a bully. That's lame.

So uh Naomi was definitely supposed to be pregnant last chapter. It was my plan at first but then I was like mmmm I want them married first. Cause all signs pointed to a baby Tatum. You wasn't trippin.

That's it though. Enough rambling. I hope y'all enjoy the chapter and excuse any mistakes.

Naomi's POV

"Girl you straight? You looking like a crackhead with all this moving you doing." Jasmine said as I moved my hand around in the camera as I talked to her.

"Let's take a picture." I said and we essentially did the same face.

"Why are you being so weird-" her laughing stopped. "Bitch are you engaged?!" She moved closer to the camera.

I showcased my ring and a smile took over my face. "I am."

"Awww congratulations. When because this nigga ain't say shit to me."

"Bubba you didn't ask Jasmine for my hand or include her in picking my ring?"

"Nigga she ain't yo daddy and the ring was custom. All ideas came from this dome." He knocked on his head. "Ow." He said lowly and continued flipping through movies to watch.

"Well do I get an invite to the engagement party?" She asked.

"Of course you do. I have a question for you though. Will you be my maid of honor?"

She sighed in satisfaction. "Music to my ears. Of course I will. When I tell you, your bachelorette party is going to be so lit."

"There's other duties Jas." I chuckled.

"I'll get to all that but this needs some early planning. Which I should start. I have to go. Love you." She said quickly and hang up.

I put my phone down and looked at Jayson. "We don't even have a date yet."

"She crazy." He chuckled.

I moved closer to him and laid beside him. "Can I ask you a question?" I looked over at him.

"Wassup?"

"Did you ask my dad?"

I don't know why I care but I do. I guess deep down I wish my family was more supportive, and could be apart of these new chapters with me. I want what Jayson has with his family.

"I did." He looked over at me. "I know how much you want them apart of this. I also talked to your granddad."

"Thank you." I gave him a small smile. It made me want to shed a tear a little. He knows me so well and to be able to say I'm going to marry him, I'm happy. "Were they happy? Are they supportive?"

"You know you can call them, right?"

"I know, I know. I sound silly." I said deciding to drop the conversation.

He grabbed my hand. "They're happy for you boo. They said we have their support and their blessing." He said then kissed my hand.

"Bubba don't make me cry." I got up and went to the bathroom to grab some tissue. I stood in the doorway as I held the tissue under my eye.

"I ain't mean to make you cry. I'm sorry." He stood in front of me and kissed me.

"You're just so sweet. I haven't been this happy like ever. This feels like a fairytale in a dream." I threw the tissue away and went back to our bed.

"You? Shit me. Deuce of course makes my life joyful but on the love life side of it, that's all you."

"I know that's right." I said and smiled. "What date are we thinking?"

"What's tomorrow?"

"JT be for real."

"I am being for real. We can go to the courthouse."

"Why was I really thinking about a small intimate ceremony? Real quick and low key."

"You serious?"

"I mean why not? Do we really need a big wedding?"

"You don't want that? I figured you'd be on your queen shit and want the huge ceremony and reception." He looked confused.

"I do but I really want to be your wife." .....and I might be ready to start a family.

"You thinking about eloping?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Would you be down?" I mirrored his face.

He laughed. "Nigga no. Slow your roll." He laid down and looked at the tv.

He's probably right. I'm jumping the gun. The day is special for the both of us and I'm sure he wants a big wedding.

Jayson's POV

"Y'all getting a prenup?" My best friend, Des, asked me while we ate. Desmond not Destiny. Just to be clear.

"Probably." I said before eating a fry.

"Does she know?"

"I'm sure she does." I shrugged.

"Nah go ahead and talk to her. You don't want no confusion. Then she pissed at you and call everything off."

I shook my head. "Naomi's not like that. She's understanding and she'd understand where I was coming from."

"If you say so. Females change when money come up."

"Wassup with you and saying females? You can't say women? Girls?"

"Ain't no reason. I just say it. You know this."

"Well don't. You sound like one of them bitter niggas. I'm just looking out."

"I hear you. How Toriah feel about all this?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Haven't talked to her about it yet. I'll get to it."

"Damn you ain't tell her? You might want to get around to that fast."

"Why? She already knows we together and I've talked about my plans to marry Naomi openly on multiple occasions. It shouldn't come as a shock."

"You should still talk to her. I'm happy for you though. You look happy and that's all that matters."

"I appreciate that."

Me and Naomi haven't talked about a prenup but it only makes sense. I've made a lot of money before her. I know I'll make a bunch during our marriage but I need to protect me and Deuce. As well as the children that will come from this relationship.

I don't plan on us divorcing. This is just precaution. Of course while we're together, she'll have access to everything. She should understand this.

—————

"We need to talk." I said while she did some work in the office.

"About what?" She asked while typing then looked up at me. I should come out and say it. I don't know why I'm so nervous. "Come on Bubba. I need to focus."

"What are you doing?"

"Setting up some appointments and looking at venues." She turned her laptop to show me then back towards her. "Wassup?"

I sat down in the chair in front of the desk. "You know I love you right?"

She laughed. "Yes Jayson. Will you just tell me what you want?"

"A prenup." I blurted out.

She looked taken aback. "Excuse me? Are you serious right now?" She pushed the laptop to the side. "Who do you think I am? Do you plan on divorcing me?"

"No! Of course not. I just figured-"

"You figured what? I'd just sign it and then you just throw me to the wolves when this is all over?"

"Boo no. It's not like that-"

"I'm just fucking with you." She laughed. "I knew you'd want one."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "You had me nervous as hell."

"I don't know why. It's not that deep and I understand why you would want one."

"So we're good? You'll sign one?"

"Yeah. No problem." She shrugged and focused on her computer. "Just as long as you know I'll be adding shit too."

I was about to get up but stayed in my seat. "What you mean?"

"What do you mean, what do I mean? You can protect yourself but I can't protect me? Or our children?"

"The kids gone be straight regardless. You too."

"I hear you and you say that now. Then the divorce gets messy and you hold all the power because I didn't get anything in writing to ensure I'm straight."

"So what you saying?"

She placed her laptop to the side again, looking at me. "I'm getting spousal support."

"You want alimony?"

"Sure do. You can't expect me to live this certain lifestyle, get used to it, then once we divorce it's over. That don't make any sense."

"Why not?" I sat up and moved to the edge of my seat. "I'm leaving with what I came with, you should too."

"Oh really?"

"Really."

"So deals I'd get while with you, go where? We both coming in with no children together. What happens when we have kids? Things I handle while we're married, I should get absolutely nothing?"

"What would you handle?"

She completely closed the laptop at this point. "Are you serious right now, Jayson? What would I handle? What do I handle for us now? Do I not make sure the bills are paid?"

She's not wrong. I make the money, of course, but she puts the money where it needs to go. House bills, grocery bills, miscellaneous items. That's all her.

Before I could say anything, she did. "That's hurtful bro. Then you get mad when you're the one who brought up the conversation. I can't protect myself but you can. That's not fair."

She was about to leave but I stood up to stop her. "Wait. I'm sorry. For real."

"You hurt my feelings. Like I said, I don't care about having a prenup. That's fine but for you to sit here and act like I won't do anything when I do shit now. We're not even married and I still treat you like you're my husband. Which is probably stupid on my part." She said the last part to herself.

"It's not stupid. I appreciate it."

"Do you? Then for you to assume the prenup would be one sided, as if I have nothing to protect is crazy."

"My bad. I shouldn't have acted like that. I was thinking about myself. How about we get together with my lawyer sometime soon?"

"Your mom?" I nodded and she chuckled. "No. As much as I love Miss.Brandy, you're still her client and, more importantly, her son. I'll get my own lawyer and we can go from there." She tapped my chest and walked out of the office.

Damn. I guess she got her shit together. I see where she's coming from though. I sounded like an ass. It's only right that she has things written as well.

I checked the time and went to the door to make sure I had everything I needed. Once I did, I went to the kitchen when I heard the microwave go off.

"I'm heading out." I said and she looked over at me.

She nodded and put her bowl down, walking over to me. "Have fun."

"I won't since you'll be here." I looked down at her. "You going to be able to hold down the fort by yourself?"

"Mhm."

I looked at her face. "You still upset." I stated.

"I'm bothered as hell but I'm trying to make sure you feel good about leaving. That's just me being honest."

"I always want you to be honest." I grabbed her arms and placed them around my neck then my arms found their way around her waist. "Again, I'm sorry." I mumbled in her shoulder.

She gently rubbed the back of my neck then let me go. "You should get going. You don't want to miss your flight."

"It's my plane. They gotta wait for me."

"No you shouldn't keep them waiting."

She walked me to the door and I gave her a kiss. "I'll text you when I land."

"Okay." She nodded then went back in the house after I got in the car, leaving.

Naomi's POV

Ten minutes later....

I sat on the couch eating my popcorn while watching Shrek. I recited some of the lines while I watched it. This is one of my favorite movies. Such a classic.

The front door opened and the dogs started barking. What the hell? I paused the tv and looked toward the hallway that leads into the living room. Lord is it time?

"What are you doing back?" I kissed my teeth when I saw Jayson. Had me nervous for nothing.

"Forgot something." He placed his hands on my cheeks and kissed me. "I love you girl. And you forgot to say it too."

"I ain't forget. I just ain't say it." I shrugged.

"Oh that shit corny and cold. We gotta work on that. Could've been my last time seeing you and you don't say you love me because you pissed?"

"Uh yeah."

"That's not funny or cute Naomi. Now what would you say if I said that hurt my feelings?"

I immediately felt bad because he did look like it hurt his feelings. I was being petty but he's right. It wasn't even that big of an argument or disagreement for me to act like that.

"I'm sorry." I stood up after putting the bowl down and placing my arms around him but he tried to move them. "I'm serious. I'm sorry and you're right. That's not cool. I don't want want you to be late but we can talk more about it when you get back." I said looking up at him.

"Aight." He kissed my forehead. "Lock the door behind me."

"I love you Jayson. Be safe." I said then made sure the door was locked before going back to my seat.

After I finished my snack, I continued watching the movie while on my laptop. I'm already looking for venues and designs I want.

I need a wedding planner honestly. If we're doing this big wedding then we're going to need help. There's so much to plan.

We didn't even discuss where we want to get married. Whether here in Massachusetts or in one of our hometowns.

A couple hours into my searching, I started looking up dresses online. I really can't wait to try on wedding gowns. I don't know if I should go for something big and poofy or form fitting.

It's still kind of early in the date. A little after one o'clock. Maybe I should go try on some dresses. Just to see what's out there and what I might like...

——————

"Thanks for coming on short notice." I smiled after giving him a hug.

"Yeah. Now where you got me at?" JB looked around outside.

"Negro I know you can read." I said then used my hands to gesture at the sign and the dresses in the window, with a big cheesy smile.

"You shopping for a dress already? You barely got the ring on your finger." He chuckled.

"I know but I'm too excited and he's gone so-"

"Where he at?"

"He's going to L.A. for something. I don't know." I shrugged.

"Why you ain't go? I'm sure there are some nice shops out there."

"I know but I'm doing the summer league again this year and we start training the day after tomorrow. I have to be here."

"Oh. Okay well let's get in here. It's hot." He opened the door for me and I led us inside. "That's nice." He looked at a dress that was not my size at all.

"Hi. Welcome. Are you Naomi?"

"I am." I smiled and shook her hand. I called before coming of course. "This is my friend Jaylen." They shook hands.

I don't think many, if any, will know who JB is in here. I know I'm good because no one knows me for real but I don't want anything getting out about our engagement. We haven't announced anything.

Maybe I should have waited.

"Follow me this way. Would you guys like anything to drink?"

"Water." We said at the same time.

"Okay you two can sit here and I'll be right back."

"JT know you here?"

"No. He's on a plane." It's only been maybe three and a half hours since he's left.

"He got wifi."

"Yo." I laughed. "Why you acting like that? I thought we were friends. I'd have Jasmine with me but she's not here. You were my next best option. I need an honest opinion and I know you won't lie to me."

It's true. I made a pie last thanksgiving and usually I'm really good at baking but I've never done a pie on my own. He straight up told me it was trash while everyone else tried to be nice about it.

I appreciate his honesty and I think it'll be fun to have him here with me. At least I won't be alone and look awkward.

The consultant came back with our waters and sat down. "Do you know what style you want?"

"No. I'm not certain. I like big ball gowns but I also like fitted too. So I'm open minded. Whatever looks best on me and I feel comfortable in, is what I'll go with."

"Okay I can pull a few and we can go from there."

My phone started ringing and I saw who was calling me. "Deuce Deuce." I answered.

"Hi Mimi. What are you doing?"

"I'm at the dress shop with uncle JB." I panned the camera over.

"Deuce Deuce. Wassup?"

"Nothing. I'm bored."

"You're bored?" I asked putting the camera back on me. "You're not playing with your cousins today?"

"They just left. I need a brother."

"Oh you need one?" I chuckled.

"Yes so I'm not bored."

"What if he gets on your nerves? He can't go home because you live together."

"I'll go to my other house. Where he doesn't stay."

Kids say the darndest things. "Good point. Well what about camp? Are you doing that this year?"

He shrugged. "I'm doing daddy's camp."

"That's right. That should be fun."

"Yeah. When do we go to the beach?"

"I don't know buddy. I'll be in Vegas but I'm sure your dad has something planned." I saw my consultant coming back. "Oh I have to go try on dresses now. You can call me later if you want and you're still bored."

"Okay. Love you."

"Love you too."

"Hey dad-" I heard him say as he hung up.

"Hey who?" I asked out loud but more so to myself.

"We're all setup back here. You can follow me." She smiled. I put my phone away and followed her.

Is Jayson with Deuce right now? That can't be though. He's on a plane to L.A. and Deuce is in St.Louis right now with his mom.

That's some shady shit if he is. Like why not just tell me you're going to Missouri? I wouldn't get mad because I could see why. Your son is there, you have family. What other reason could he be there and not tell me? Am I overthinking it?

"Any of these spark your interest?" I looked at the dresses in front of me and pointed to one. I got undressed and she helped me put it on. "What do you think?"

I stared at myself and moved around to check the different angles. "I like this part. It's different. The bottom is okay. Not terrible but it's okay."

She helped me go out to show Jaylen. "Oh shit. You look pretty." He put his phone down to look at me.

"Thanks." I continued to look at myself.

"You don't like it." He stated.

I laughed. "No it's nice. I'm just not blown away. I liked it because it was different but it's not my style. Maybe something a little more simple as far as detail." I looked at the consultant.

"I think I have something. Come on."

She helped me into the next dress and I was taken aback. "Wow." I got out. I'm speechless.

"Let's show him."

When I came out, it felt slow motion. I don't think this is my dress but it's definitely a top choice. I really like it.

"Wow." JB said.

"I said the same thing." I pointed at him. "It's gorgeous." I ran my hands down the front.

"It looks so classic and timeless. The straps here add a little something to it. I'm not mad at it. The bottom isn't my favorite but it works with the top. I just wish the train was longer." I said.

"Would you design your dress?" He asked me. "Then that way you can have everything you want and it's custom to you."

"I would but I don't know if I want to. We're still not sure on a lot of things. We don't even have a date."

"No date?" He held a confused facial expression. "So what you drag me out her for?"

"Boy if you-"

"I'm playing. You look nice though. This seems like more your speed. You're a very simple person but chic."

"I agree and thanks for the compliment."

I changed back into my clothes and we left. I made another appointment because I still want to look and I love the options they have in here. Next time I'll bring more of my friends and Miss.Brandy if she's available.

Later that night I got a call from Jayson. I really don't want to talk to him. He's on some shady shit. He's being weird to be honest.

"What you do today?" He asked as I laid down.

"Went to look at dresses with Jaylen earlier."

"Already?"

I rolled my eyes. It was dark so he didn't see me. "Yep."

"You good? You sound real dry. I thought we were good."

I wanted to respond swiftly. Usually I do. When something is on my mind and I'm bothered by it, I have no problem speaking up.

For some reason I couldn't. It was like someone was telling me to shut my ass up and just shh.

"I'm just tired. Had a long day."

"Oh. I don't want to keep you up. Get some rest and we'll talk tomorrow. Love you."

"Love you too."

I hung up and tossed my phone to the side. I'm not going to sweat him. Maybe he didn't feel the need to tell me and he didn't sound guilty of anything on the phone.

—————

A couple days later....

I walked into the gym trying to force myself not to think about it. Some pictures dropped last night and it's like I was punched in the gut.

Now everyone thinks we broke up they're back together. If I were them I'd think the same because what man in a relationship is going to be posted up with his ex?

I knew he was acting weird. I still don't have the whole story but come on. What else am I supposed to think?

Some players were already in the weight room when I came in. "Wassup coach?" The assistant coach said to me.

"Hey." I chuckled. I put my bag down and faced them all. "Let's start with the treadmill. Get a warmup in. Just ten minutes."

I had six players in here with me. Two being rookies. There are more but they're not required to be here. The ones here just wanted some extra help and in my opinion they'll benefit from it.

"You runnin too?" One of them asked me.

"Yep." I got on and turned mine on. "I need it." I said lowly to myself.

The Payback by James Brown started playing over the speaker and I got a little groove going. The song is long as hell so we listened to that most of our run.

It's my playlist so ironically If This World Were Mine  came on. "Skip this." I said to coach in between breaths.

Who Shot Ya played next and I was fine with that. That's my shit. A couple minutes into the song we were done.

"Are we feeling loose?" I looked at them and they gave me head nods and yeahs. "Good."

I got them started on weights and went around working with each of them individually as well as a couple more of our trainers.

As I'm drinking my water, I swallowed but it went down the wrong pipe when I saw Jayson coming towards me.

"I'll be right back." I kept coughing as I walked outside the door with him hot on my heels.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked as I kept walking to the bathroom.

"Nigga I'm dying. Give me a second." I said through my coughing.

I went into the bathroom to wipe my eyes that had tears from my episode. I cleared my throat a few times before going back out.

"Before you say-"

I held my hand up. "I'm at work. We can have a conversation when I go back to your house."

"Naomi please don't start this. Please." He already looked defeated.

"Start what? Something you unboxed? Like I said, I'll talk to you later. Not right now."

"Boo please." He grabbed me and kept me from walking away. Trying to use his pretty brown eyes to change my mind.

"No." With that I left to get back to the guys. I thought he would leave but no. He came back ten minutes later. "Jayson-"

"I'm here to train."

I looked over his fit then up at him. "Sure."

He watched my every move. Even when I wasn't looking at him directly, I'd see him in the mirror or I could just feel his eyes.

"You guys get some rest. Please meet with the trainers after so you can have good recovery habits. The pros are different than college or the g league. We gone get y'all right. I'll see you Wednesday for practice."

I waved at them and left with Mr.Mai following me like a lost puppy. Before he could speak to me I put my AirPods in.

I'm not ignoring- well yes I am. I told him I'd talk to him at home. That was his decision to stick around. I saw from my peripheral he was about to put his arm around me but I moved.

He kissed his teeth. "We'll talk at home?" He asked for confirmation and I gave him a thumbs up.

We went to our cars and I sat for a minute. I really don't want to go home right now but I know I need to.

Why do guys always do this to me. I'm not even a girlfriend anymore. I'm a fiancée and this shit still happens. That's wild.

I decided to stop and get me something to eat. I'll get to the house but I'm taking my time. He can wait.

"Hello?" I answered while sitting outside at a nearby restaurant. Not only am I getting food, I'm sitting and relaxing.

"Hey boo." Jasmine said over FaceTime.

"Hey."

"You okay?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I think I'm just confused. Like I'm upset but I'm just trying to figure out why. What could be the reasoning."

"Has he called?"

I bit into a mozzarella stick and waited until I was done chewing to respond. "He popped up on me at the gym."

"He flew back?" I nodded. "Damn the picture just dropped late last night."

"Yep."

"Well did y'all talk?"

"Not yet. I'm avoiding it a little. You know I'm usually very levelheaded. I don't react immediately and- ugh. I'm getting irritated. I want to hear him out but he needs to be straightforward. None of the pitiful shit. He's a grown man. Not a child."

I didn't want to say too much. I try to keep my rants to myself, for the most part, with her. You know, she will ride for me and will until the wheels fall off. So when I'm over a situation, she might not be because of how it affected me at that time. I don't want the two of them beefing.

Her and I stayed on the phone while I ate. I just needed to calm down and make sure I'm going into this with a clear mind. He has some explaining to do.

When I got home, I said a little prayer and went inside. Just hear him out Naomi.

I tossed my keys in the bowl and went to our bedroom. I need to take a shower. I'll be ready afterwards.

Finally when I was done I went downstairs to talk to him. I think I'm ready.

"Wassup? Talk." I sat down on the couch.

"Ok." He turned the tv off and looked at me. "I'm-"

"Jayson please come on. I got it. You're sorry. What's next?"

"The pictures look like we came together but we didn't. We walked in around the same time but she wasn't my date, obviously." He gestured to me making the point that we're together.

"No it's not fuckin obvious. Y'all were close as shit."

"And I can see why you would think that. Yeah we chilled around the party but nothing happened. We haven't communicated outside of last night. Not before, not after."

"I just don't believe that."

"Why though? I ain't done shit. I'm always with you."

"Jayson how would you feel if that were me and Melo? Be honest."

"The same way. That's why I said I get what you saying. The pictures look bad as hell. I look guilty."

"Why didn't you tell me you were going to St.Louis?"

"Huh?"

"Huh my ass. Why?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "I was dropping something off to Destiny."

"Dropping something off like what?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Really Jayson? So not only do you not tell me you're stopping in St.Louis. I find out while hanging up with Deuce then you can't tell me what the reason was for your being there. Then you chill with your ex the entire time at a party I'm not at because I'm working. You're ridiculous." I threw a pillow at the spot beside him.

I'm not trying to be physical with him and I'm not trying to break anything. I'm just frustrated.

"I know-"

"Do you? I wanted to take this damn ring off. Why do I even have it on?" I looked at it.

"You better not Naomi. I'm not playin." He stood up.

"I'm not either, Jayson. Why do I have it on?"

"Because we love each other. Because we both know we don't want to be with nobody else. Boo I didn't lie to you because there was no truth to tell. I should have told you I was stopping but it wasn't a lie. I'm not denying I went and I told you why."

I nodded. "Ok."

"What?"

"Ok." I turned to walk away and headed for the stairs. "Goodnight."

"It's not even 4 o'clock yet."

"I'm tired."

"Baby I'm sorry." He called after me.

"That's nice." I replied.

I heard what he had to say. I'm guessing he told me everything and the truth. Well not everything. Left out the reason for seeing Destiny.

Do I believe him and move on? Or do I move on and tread carefully? But who wants a relationship like that? If I'm with someone I want to believe in them one thousand percent.

Unfortunately I'm questioning some things and I'm not sure how to go about it, or where to go from here...

——————

Sigh. I finally finished. I'm so sorry y'all. What did we think? I kind of liked it. I wanted to add a sprinkle of drama without the whole dramatic break up mess. I think it was a good amount.

Jaylen is a good friend. Went out and supported her. I love adding a good platonic relationship.

Thanks for reading darlings and until next chapter 💚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.9K 751 46
LaMelo was a basketball star. Goofy and carefree. He never really cared for relationships after the ones he's been in previously. Mariah was a talent...
44K 875 26
mya x zo ______ sequal
9.8K 207 19
Cassiopeia is a twenty-one year old, freshly graduated college student, trying to find her position in the world. When her parents inform her of an a...