Warm Rain

By Gal444x

~ 18+ ~ Laney has no idea where her life is heading. Since leaving school she's had no aspirations, she's nev... More

Chapter 1 - By The Sea
Chapter 2 - A Fresh Start
Chapter 3 - Lake Wildbeck
Chapter 4 - Lawnmower Guy?
Chapter 5 - *knock, knock* Housekeeping
Chapter 6 - Charmer
Chapter 7 - Nosing Around
Chapter 8 - Patch Of Grass
Chapter 9 - A Day In Town
Chapter 10 - The Golden Suite
Chapter 11 - Only A Week
Chapter 12 - Worse And Worse
Chapter 13 - A Day On The Lake
Chapter 14 - Tree Swing
Chapter 15 - The Boat Shed
Chapter 16 - Girl Talk
Chapter 17 - So Many Secrets
Chapter 18 - All You've Ever Been
Chapter 20 - Through The Wild Green
Chapter 21 - Pamper Day
Chapter 22 - Affected
Chapter 23 - Extra Hours
Chapter 24 - Feelings Change
Chapter 25 - Ugly Crier
Chapter 26 - Falling
Chapter 27 - Unfolding
Chapter 28 - Just The Beginning
Chapter 29 - Party On The Lake
Chapter 30 - Mingling
Chapter 31 - Get To Work
Chapter 32 - Arcade
Chapter 33 - Little Garden Shop
Chapter 34 - Birthday Boy
Chapter 35 - You Left
Chapter 36 - Hangover
Chapter 37 - Unfolded
Chapter 38 - Hopeful
Chapter 39 - Nothing More
Chapter 40 - Steamy
Chapter 41 - Jealous Much?
Chapter 42 - Escapism
Chapter 43 - No Time
Chapter 44 - Rainfall
Chapter 45 - Last Day
Chapter 46 - One Last Hurrah
Chapter 47 - Warm Rain

Chapter 19 - Delivery

23 0 0
By Gal444x

Wednesday, 22nd of June

Another day at work and my mind was once again racing. I was in my thoughts so much that I didn't even remember cleaning the cabins. I thought about the night before, what Kai had said to me, how shit I felt still for letting him stay here so long, and also about Logan. What did he want to tell me last night that he never got to say?

Stella was oblivious to everything, I eventually told her what had happened. I didn't tell her what Kai had said about me, just that he'd left. We'd finished at 4:00 pm today and decided to take a quick detour to Kai's cabin, to see if he had actually left. His car was gone and after a quick peek inside we saw so were all his things. We began driving the buggy back to reception. When we saw the reception in sight, we saw a big truck parked outside in the square with its trunk open. It looked like a delivery van. Murphy, Fry, and the boys stood around it.

"Hey girls!" Murphy called. "Help us out would ya"

After what Logan had said about Murphy it made me nervous around him. We climbed out and walked up to them. I heard a thumping sound coming from inside the van and saw Logan standing in there, sorting through the stock.

"Girls," Murphy said. "I need you to help sort through this delivery."

I mean, I was ready to go home, I was so tired, but we did have an early finish yesterday, so I guess we should help.

"Sure, no problem," I smiled.

"Of course," Stella said a little less enthusiastic.

"There's a food delivery for the kitchen that the boys are sorting through. But we also had a delivery for the equipment shed." He looked cautiously at Logan and then eyed Stella looking at her up and down.

"Stella, you help the boys in the kitchen." Murphy looked at Logan again. Giving him a disappointed look.

"Now Laney." He turned to look at me smiling. "you help Logan with the things for the shed, and list off the laundry delivery."

With Logan?

"Of course," I nodded, trying not to make too much of a reaction.

"Oh Laney," Murphy began. "I saw Kai wasn't at breakfast this morning, I actually haven't seen him all day?"

"Oh, sorry Murphy he had to leave early, I forgot to tell you. He uh... loved it here though wanted to thank you." Lies. I hate lying I don't think I'm very good at it.

Murphy's face dropped. "Well, that's a shame. I do hope I see him again." he smiled, walking away.

Logan jumped down from the van, right in front of me, making me shuffle backward.

"My cars' parked just behind here. I'll fill it up and we can drive down." his voice was mono-toned. He grabbed some boxes from the van and carried them over.
I grabbed another box from the van and followed him. He set the box in the car, took mine, and slotted it in his trunk. Then he watched as Murphy walked further away, got in his own car, and drove off. Logan let out a sigh of relief, then he looked at me and chuckled.

"What?" I questioned.

"Him, leaving you with me... not what I expected."

"Maybe he's not as bad as you thought?" I shrugged.

He squinted his eyebrows, "Did you see how Murphy looked at Stella before? He didn't want me to be alone with her. That's how suspicious he gets around any girl that works here."

"So why is he so fine about me then? I'm a girl."

"Probably cause he thinks you're with Kai."

"Oh, of course," I said realizing. "That helps a little bit ey?" I joked. "I'm kidding by the way."

He chuckled and shook his head again. "Come on. Let's get this loaded up." He went to get another box from the truck.

"Logan? what did you want to talk to me about last night?" I said.

He contemplated. "Uhm, it was nothing important."

"Are you joking? you said you had to tell me in person it couldn't just be nothing."

He paused after picking up a box. Then he exhaled and looked at me. "I don't know, things have changed now."

"What? Come on Logan..." I sighed, I couldn't help my annoyance. I feel like I'm being thrown in all directions with this guy.

"Sorry Laney, I just don't know what the fuck I'm doing right now."

"You're telling me!" I scoffed. "I'm confused that's all, it would be nice to have some insight."

He continued walking towards his car and I grabbed a box and followed him. He set it down and turned to me. "Me and Murphy don't get along," he stated.

"I thought so, how long have you known him?" I asked.

"My dad left us just after Dylan was born, Murphy married my mom four years after."

"Oh, sorry, so it's been a long time," I pulled an apologetic face. "Do your brothers ever come here?"

"I don't remember my dad, I don't care. My brothers hate Murphy, that's why they left."

"Why do you still stay here though? I mean you tried to burn the place down?"

He sighed angrily. "You're not gonna let that go huh?"

"Well, I mean I am intrigued to know." My eyes were wide hoping he'd tell me something. Is it even true? Was it his fault? Is he an arsonist?

"I stay here because originally it was my mom's resort and I hope one day that it'll be mine. Obviously, I just need Murphy outta' the way, but it's a lot trickier than I thought."

"Oh, it was her business, not Murphy's?" I asked.

"Yup, and before that, it was my grandparents. When my mom died she put in her Will that Murphy would get ownership. He wasn't hated back then, no one saw it as an issue."

He paused and sighed, "But Since then he's been wrecking this place, spending all the savings my mom had. Ruining all the updates she'd planned. That's when my brothers eventually gave in cause legally we had no control over what he did. But he made a promise to me, if I worked hard for him, did what he said eventually I'll have this place when he retires."

"That's not fair, you're basically working back your own family business!" I seethed. "No wonder you hate the guy. When does he retire?"

"It should be not for another four years... but I've been saving up, and I have all these plans to turn this place around! If he doesn't run it to the ground till then..."

"It's gotta be a lotta' money Logan surely?" I stressed.

"I got some money off my mom when she died. He didn't get everything in her Will. It's not a lot, it was spread between me and my brothers. But I just hope it's enough."

I'd never seen Logan so passionate. This place clearly means a lot to him and for him to work so hard and stick around for so long when everyone else seemed to give in just made me feel for him.

"And what about when you get it? Do you think you'll be able to bring it back?" I may be asking too personal of a question but I couldn't help but wonder.

He gulped. "I'll bring it back." He assured, nodding his head. "I can't give up on this place... I'm trying so hard not to." I got lost in his eyes and all that hope you could see in them. It was endearing to see such a personal side of him. I doubt he's told many people this and for him to tell me it was... heartwarming.

"let's get the rest of the boxes." He gestured to me.

There wasn't much left to put in his car, but he's a lot stronger than me, so he speedily brought them over as I struggled behind him. I grabbed the stock list, then we both got in his car, and drove off.

"So why would Murphy make such strict rules?" I queried.

He shuffled in his seat. "Cause he's an ass. He doesn't want me to be happy. He knows in here he can control my life and he likes that. Luckily, It hasn't really been much of an issue. I can still see girls from elsewhere, just not girls who work here or are residents. He gets suspicious whenever I talk to any female, so I just have to avoid them. It's easier."

"But you didn't avoid me? Surely, you've taken risks before?" I questioned.

"I'd gotten quite good at sneaking around it. I'd know exactly what days he'd be gone, how long for and when he'd come back. I wouldn't purposely go out to talk to girls it was just to hang out with everyone without feeling like I was being watched."

"So that's why you were so confident to talk to me? Cause he wasn't at the resort?"

"Exactly." He nodded.

"And he's not suspicious of us?" I asked.

"He saw us, that time... You know when I dropped you off on your first day."

"He did?" I fretted.

"I didn't know he'd come back early. He questioned me about you, he was that suspicious, gave me a warning. I convinced him it was nothing and luckily after Kai arrived he dropped the whole thing."

"So did he warn you before or after you kissed me for the first time?" I asked intrigued.

He exhaled. "Before..." he looked away.

"Ooh look at you taking risks." I taunted.

He eyed me from the side, and the corner of his mouth lifted.

"He'd left for the evening that day and I enjoy your company, I never meant to kiss you."

"you obviously couldn't resist me" I joked.

I could see him trying not to smile.

I looked at him. "So that's it then, we leave whatever this is between us alone?" I meant to say it with surety but my voice quivered a bit. It was obvious I didn't want to leave it.

He looked at me briefly, like he was torn in his thoughts. "Laney, Laney..." He tutted, shaking his head.

"I mean it. I obviously don't want to ruin what you've been working so hard for... and I suspect you're not gonna come onto me again." I questioned.

He looked straight forward, slightly frowning. "Can't we just be friends Laney?" he asked.

"Of course... I'm being serious though, I'd hate it if I ruined your chances of getting this place. Plus, I like being your friend, there doesn't have to be anything more."

I knew in my gut it would be hard though. I do want to be his friend, but I also 100% want more...

I laid my head back on the headrest. How the hell am I supposed to just be friends with this guy? Unless I avoid him the whole time I'm here. I'm surprised Murphy hasn't figured out my attraction to Logan just by looking at me I make it that obvious.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 57 51
"This was just supposed to be summer fun. That was what we agreed on." I tried to talk to him as he was vigorously shaking his head, tearing his gaze...
963 20 34
One night labels Summer a cheater. Summer's whole life changes after one-night shatters everything she holds important. She suddenly finds herself tr...
1.7K 32 17
An angsty romance. * * * Maisie knows her relationship with James is on the verge of breaking up. She still loves her boyfriend, but is her love enou...
75.8K 3.4K 57
Tessa's love life is full of clichés. She fell for the boy next door, her brother's best friend, and her childhood crush. They all just happen to be...