Sugar, Spice and a pinch of F...

By PaigeDaniels

Jessica Aubry is your typical 17 year-old high school student. She goes to school and has to deal with troubl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Sneak peek
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
FAQs and My Replies
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Vote for the Cast! :))
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Facebook Page
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52 (The End?)
Chapter 53 (Epilogue)
Author's Note
Sneak Peak
The Sequel!
Editing
Review

Chapter 24

29.7K 219 44
By PaigeDaniels

----------- Chapter 24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “We should get going,” Carter murmurs, nuzzling me. We’re on the couch in the living room, wrapped around each other.

               “Must we? Now?” I moan, kissing him softly.

               “I thought you wanted to go to Persephone?” he shoots back, his resolve gone.

               “I did. But this is so much more fun,” I tease, sitting on his lap.

               “Couldn’t have said it better myself!” he agrees, stroking my thigh.

               “Ehem, Jess?” Emily calls from the kitchen.

I jump off Carter’s lap and quickly walk into the living room. I can feel my cheeks heat up. I completely forgot Carter and I weren’t alone!

               “You got a letter,” Emily explains, her face disapproving.

               “Thanks Em. And erm...do you mind keeping this between us?” I beg softly.

               “Miss Aubry,” Emily huffs. She wouldn’t call me by my last name unless she’s really mad. Oh boy! I’m in trouble! “This is Haden’s house. You know how he feels about that boy,” Emily spits.

               “I’m sorry Em, but I love him. And I’m going to do what feels right to me, okay?” I murmur, taking the letter from her hands and storming back to the living room.

               “Everything alright?” Carter asks, wrapping his arm around my waist.

               “Yeah, just everyone seems to be unable to keep their noses out of my business,” I mutter crossly.

               “I’m sure it’s because they care about you,” he offers.

               “Yeah, whatever,” I snap, instantly regretting it. “I’m sorry Carter! I shouldn’t snap at you,” I mumble embarrassedly.

               “It’s okay. No blood, no foul,” he murmurs, kissing my cheek. “What’s with the letter? Do I have a rival?” he teases.

I give him a grimace and unseal the letter. Tiny, messy handwriting is all over the page. Whoever wrote this is either very untidy or very agitated.

Jessica Aubry,

I’m very sorry over what happened to your family. I only just found out. I was a very close friend of your mothers.

Perhaps we could meet up? Your mother left a few photos and letters in my possession. I think she would have wanted you to have them.

If it’s convenient for you, we could meet up tonight at Finnigan’s? I’ll be the lady in the red sweater.

Yours sincerely,

Moira Gray

P.S: I understand you live with your guardian. You should inform him that you will be meeting me tonight, I wouldn’t want him to worry. Perhaps you could leave this letter somewhere he definitely wouldn’t miss? At least that way he won’t worry.

I finish reading the letter and start biting my lip.

               “What’s wrong?” Carter asks, gently taking the letter out of my hands and putting it on the side table.

               “That letter. It’s from someone who was really close to my mum. Apparently she only just found out...about her death,” I muse.

               “Are you alright?” Carter asks, holding onto my hand.

               “Yeah. It’s just weird, you know? I mean, if she really was close to mum, wouldn’t she have known? Mum died like 5 years ago! If they were really that close wouldn’t they have been in contact?” I wonder aloud.

               “Maybe? Maybe she just wants an excuse to see you? The daughter of her close friend? Perhaps she feels guilty for not taking you in?” Carter suggests.

               “Yeah, you’re right. I’m just over thinking it. I can’t explain it. It was like I had this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach,” I admit softly.

Carter traces the outline of my lip with his tongue lightly, sending tingles down my spine. He lifts me up slightly, until I sit straddled over his lap.

               “Where were we?” he whispers huskily.

I bite my bottom lip as I grin, and within moments our lips are crashing into each other.

***

(Haden’s POV)

               “You’re really alright?” Matt asks uncertainly.

               “Dude, relax, will you? I feel as fit as a fiddle! No joke!” I murmur, smiling serenely.

               “How the hell? It’s been four hours!” Matt murmurs, frustrated at not being able to figure it out.

               “You know, you guys were probably so worried over me that you didn’t notice quite how much time has passed. It’s been a day, easily,” I remind the guys.

Matt stops dead in his tracks. I can see he’s doing the mental maths in his head.

               “There’s no chance! We left the mansion at little over two in the afternoon. It’s barely half past six now!” he corrects, looking triumphant.

I shoot a grin at Alex who smiles back. Obviously Alex knows where Matt’s going wrong.

               “Hey Matt, you’ve been looking at your watch, haven’t you?” Alex teases.

               “Yes, Einstein! When people want to know the time, they take a look at these revolutionary devices known as watches,” Matt murmurs condescendingly.

Instead of taking offence, Alex bursts out in a fit of laughter. “Haden, you gotta tell him before he makes a bigger fool out of himself, if that’s possible,” Alex guffaws.

               “Poor Matt, apparently we’ve been on Earth way too long! Have you really forgotten that our time passes 10 times faster?” I remind him.

Matt’s face immediately falls as he realises his mistake. He glares at Alex, who’s still laughing his head off.

               “Hmm, but it’s only been 4 hours back on Earth, yea?” I confirm.

               “Yup,” Matt answers, popping the p.

               “Good. How much trouble could Jess get into in four hours, right?” I joke before sobering up.

That’s right. A crap load! She’s possibly got the worst luck possible! She’s basically a walking, talking bulls eye for anything and everything unlucky!

               “We gotta go. Now!” Alex murmurs, his thoughts in sync with mine.

We close our eyes, and in a matter of seconds, we’re in the living room on the mansion. The lights are all turned on, but other than that, everything looks exactly how we left it.

               “Matt, why don’t you go check on Jess? Something tells me I’m not her favourite person at the moment, and neither is Alex,” I mumble sombrely.

Matt nods his head and jogs up the stairs, while I head to the kitchen to fix myself a snack.

               “Want anything to eat Alex?” I shout over my shoulder.

               “Yeah! Get me whatever you’re having. Thanks!” Alex shouts back, turning the TV on to the football game.

               “Who’s playing who?” I ask, while I make us a couple of sandwiches.

               “Man U against Arsenal,” Alex calls back.

               “10 bucks says Arsenal will kick ass,” I bet.

               “Dude, aren’t you tired of giving me money?” Alex teases, grinning coyly. “Make it 50 bucks and you got yourself a bet,” he challenges.

               “You’re so on man!” I grin.

Doesn’t Alex realise it isn’t a live game? The scores were in the paper this morning! Easiest 50 bucks I’ve ever made!

               “Guys! She isn’t up here!” Matt hollers down the stairs.

               “Damn it! Don’t tell me she really asked Carter to take her to Persephone!” I glower through clenched teeth.

               “No way she would be so dumb!” Alex murmurs, dazed.

Will this girl ever make things easy?!

               “I’ll go ask Anderson and Emily to see what happened,” Alex announces.

               “I’ll check the rest of the upstairs,” Matt volunteers.

With my stomach clenched I walk up to Jess’ room. It looks normal, empty, but normal. Perhaps she went out with friends?

               “Haden?” Alex calls. “You may wanna come down here!”

I take the steps two at a time, till I’m standing in front of Alex. I raise my eyebrows, motioning for him to lead on.

               “Em said Carter did come over. He and Jess were making out on the couch,” Alex shuddered slightly.

               “Carter? Do I get no breaks?” I mutter to myself, collapsing into one of the armchairs.

               “Yeah well, that isn’t the bit  you’re going to freak over. Em said the two of them left a little while before we got back. Carter was going to drop Jess off somewhere apparently. Jess told Em she would be back late,” he explains.

               “What do you think that means?” I ask softly, hoping he won’t confirm my fears.

               “Well, let’s see. She’s 17, Carter is 21. She’s going to be out late. And let’s couple all of this with the fact that they were making out earlier today. Dude, I think your girl is going to...how do I put it...umm, pop her V-card?” he murmurs, shrinking back away from me.

               “Hell no!” I spit.

Matt walks down the stairs just then, his face tensed. “It doesn’t make sense. We all know Carter isn’t really interested in her. Why sleep with her?”

               “Seriously? Apart from him being horny as hell and Jess being a very willing little girl who happens to look amazing, don’t you think he would have factored in how much it would hurt Haden?” Alex whispers, as if I wasn’t in the room.

               “I donno, it still doesn’t add up to me,” Matt murmurs.

               “Only because you’re the holy virgin,” Alex teases.

               “You sound jealous man-whore,” Matt shoots back.

A piece of paper on the side table suddenly catches my eye. While the guys argue, I drift over to it and unfold it.

               “F*ck!” I snarl after reading it.

               “What?!” Alex and Matt demand in unison.

               “She’s gone to go meet Moira!” I shout, grabbing my keys and coat.

Without another word, they follow me into the car and in a matter of seconds, we’re zooming towards Finnigan’s.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.5K 915 64
a teen wolf fan fic in which 16 year-old Aaliyah Dunbar battles the supernatural while trying to survive high school. She finds out the truth of her...
38.2K 900 22
**This was my first ever book from years ago. Expect some cringe moment as well as some errors** Megan was a 17 year old human. She had long black ha...
16K 260 12
Aubry is your typical Seventeen year old. Or so she thinks. She goes to school just like anybody else but what happens when she gets a new English te...
77.1K 1.5K 27
Complete✔️ *** "Everything I said yesterday was true. You drive me crazy Adrian." Our lips are inches apart. He pulls my head up exposing my neck. "D...