~~Artiste~~(Benedict Bridgert...

By House_OfBlack13

Elizabeth Sheppard Has never been one for traditions. She is smart, artistic, and has a bad temper. She is a... More

~Cast~
Aesthetic
Sheppards Meet the Bridgertons
Elizabeth Meet the Ton
A Few Friendly Faces
Callers....Or Maybe Just One Caller
Never
An Unpolished Gem
A Walk In The Park
Operation Artiste
Entangle My Mind
A Masterpiece
Muse
Everything's Ruined
Confessions
A Rather...Big Question
A Pleasant Goodbye
Going to the Chapel...
Secrets
A Future
Problems and Solutions
Ice Sculpture and Golden Swans
Realizations
One Last Time
I Love You
Authors Note
A New Season
A Brooding Viscount
A New Figure
A United Front
To Admire a Woman
A Friendly Competition
What Have You Done!?
Static
A Broken Reflection
A New Chapter
A New Bridgerton
A Beautiful Day
The End
Epilogue
Spin-Off Part One
Spin off Part Two

Benedict Bridgerton Indeed...

10.2K 313 28
By House_OfBlack13

Dearest Readers,

It has come to this author's attention that the ton is abuzz with the most sordid tale. It is said one cannot judge a book by its cover. But in the case of the bumbling Baron Berbrooke, it seems his displeasing appearance is quite an apt metaphor for the state of affairs in his household. I would not be surprised if Lord Berbrooke were called away to the country on alleged business...Business which, perhaps, might be involved in sending some much overdue funds to one former maid and young boy, who can only hope he takes after his mother.

    Gossip buzzed around the ton quicker than a fire spread through the west end. It killed like a disease and affected everyone who surrounded it. Today was no different. 

    "This is brilliant" She held the paper up to her brothers,

      "Berbrooke has a bastard" Elliot laughed aloud in the Sheppard's drawing him. "He will leave for the country soon if he knows what is best" The Marquess spoke from the doorway, watching Elizabeth's face brighten as she re-read Lady Whistledown's work.

     "That foul git is cut from our lives forever" Edward smirked, pushing his bangs back and swiping the paper,

     "Daphne is free" She shot up from the chair "Oh thank god she is free!" She began spinning around the room filled with excitement.

     "Here I thought I was to be in-laws with the devil" Benedict's voice cut through the room, Elizabeth froze and turned to see him in the doorway.

     "I just wanted to check in on you, Daphne asked me to give you this" His lopsided grin widened as he handed her a letter.

     "Thank you Lord Bridgerton" The Marquess spoke from his chair, noticing the tension between the pair,

     "I would also like to thank you all for joining us the other day for our picnic. Mother does love it when you join our family events, she even hopes the Marquess would join some time" Benedict chuckled under his breath.

     "It was a pleasure though I do think I should apologize for my reaction" Edward sighed but Benedict began to laugh

   "Nonsense, Mother thought that the best part. If it weren't for such a public setting she would have congratulated you" Elliot snorted from across the room as he watched his little brother's demeanor change.

     "You were standing up for my sister and your own, no one blames you for that. Berbrooke deserved everything coming his way" Benedict looked around the large room he visited often and let out a long breath.

     "Now if you'll excuse me I must take my leave before Mother realizes I am gone for so long, there is a ball tonight after all" He bowed his head like a gentleman before turning to say his goodbyes to her. He fidgeted with his cuffs for a moment and took her hand.

     "Save me a dance tonight?" Benedict kissed the top of her hand gently sending her cheeks a red hot color "Perhaps" She teased, scrunching her nose. 

    "Gentlemen" Benedict lowered his head in respect "Lord Bridgerton," The three said in unison as Benedict quickly walked out. Elizabeth stood dazed for a moment, her heart aflutter as she sighed.

     "How long till he's our brother-in-law?" Elliot chuckled as Elizabeth's face became beet red and her eyes widened "Elliot!" She shrieked as she threw a pillow across the room at him.

     "Run brother she might kill us before we even get to see the wedding!" He joked as Edward ducked from another object being hurled at Elliot.

     "I will kill you!' She rushed out of the hallway, leaving the Marquess and Edward who were silently reading still.

      "Benedict Bridgerton...." The Marquess sighed, "Benedict Bridgerton Indeed"

Dearest Lizzie,

Mama has given me the great news of Lord Berbrooke's departure from the city. I am freed! I only hope that this little fragment of my joy can be spread to you my dear friend as our life will be forever rid of such a horrid man. Most importantly, I would like to thank you for helping me that night. You are such a brave soul that it even scares Anthony at times, and for that, I am most grateful for your friendship. I cannot wait to see you tomorrow for tea and hope to see you with a bright smile on your face.

Your Best Friend
Daphne Bridgerton
(I hope you liked the messenger I sent )

     Elizabeth had joined the Bridgertons in their drawing room for tea just as she did every Sunday. She had decided to lay back a bit only wearing a pale yellow dress and a few flowers in her hair that was beautifully braided back. She sat next to Violet, teacup and saucer in hand as Daphne paced the room.

      "Daphne, have you thought about with whom you would like to dance with at tonight's ball?" Violet asked,

      "I have some ideas" Daphne smiled briefly before walking over to the loveseat where Benedict was slouching across.

     "Lord Weaver is a fine dancer" she responded before forcing him to get up Elizabeth chuckled slightly at Benedict's face.

      "Lord Hardy was asking about you at White's last night"  Her mother suggested 

     "Is he looking for a third wife?" Elizabeth spoke up causing the siblings to giggle, 

    "What about the Duke?" Violet pushed again,

      "The duke..." Daphne's blue eyes connected to Elizabeth's who knew everything about the fake courting the two agreed upon.

     "The Duke has not proposed, mama. I am still considering my best course" Daphne's eyes returned to her fiddling hands

   "Wise girl" Anthony spoke up from behind his newspaper, "And Lord Weaver is a fine option. Although he is rather boastful" Violet sighed, now putting her tea on her lap.

     "My dear, why ever do you complicate matters so? You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend" Violet's word struck Elizabeth as her eyes lifted to look at Benedict, but he was already watching her intently she gave him a soft smile and he winked, sending her heart aflutter.

     "Oh, is that it Mama? Well, how very simple indeed!" Daphne sarcastically exclaimed,

     "Yes, quite actually" Violet chuckled slightly "And what of your prospects dear?" Violet turned to Elizabeth who was still trying to hide her blush.

      "Oh well, papa says I am to marry for love and only love" Anthony scoffed softly, but it was loud enough to be heard across the room.

     "He wishes me a happy life, with someone who respects me" Her fingers traced the edge of the porcelain saucer,

      "Not with some stubborn ass with awful sideburns" She spat; the room fell silent as Anthony placed his newspaper down and glared at her. But the silence was interrupted as Benedict burst into laughter, tears fillings his eyes as Gregory and Hyacinth joined the laughter. Finally, the rest of the family joined in except for Anthony, who was still glaring at the Sheppard girl.

     Daphne always loved braiding Elizabeth's hair, it reminded the girl of the golden thread in the childhood stories her mother would read her to fall asleep every night. No matter how old they got the girls always took turns doing each other's hair, and now they were preparing for the ball together for the first time in a while. Elizabeth had Miss Loughty send over her newest dress, a more vibrant green gown with golden lace dressed over the skirt.

     "How can you be so lucky to have such beautiful locks" Daphne pouted, folding her smooth hair over,

    "My father says it is identical to my mother's, apparently it is an Appley signature. Elizabeth could remember the few occasions she met her mother's family, but what she did remember is how everyone embraced their bright green eyes and golden hair that seemed only to be passed down to her. 

    "Your hair is beautiful too Daph, the queen would not call you the diamond if she did not think so, I was simply labeled a jade" Daphne smiled, making eye contact with her best friend through the mirror.

     "You know I do not like it when you say that" Elizabeth turned slowly as not to ruin Daphne's hard work, 

    "Say what?" 

    "You know what I mean Lizzie, you always put yourself down even when we were children. You are beautiful, the Queen's words mean nothing within the confines of these walls. Within our friendship" Daphne rested her hand on Elizabeth's shoulder, the Sheppard girl smiled, resting her hand on Daphne's 

      "You know the queen would have your head if she heard you say that" Elizabeth spoke bluntly before laughing, Daphne joined her. The two girls' laughter mixed together and vibrated through the room 

    "So did you like the messenger I sent?" Daphne asked with a sly look on her face, almost as if she was trying to hide her intentions.

     "Daph stop that!"

     Lady Danbury was a matchmaker and a fine one at that, and she knew it. She always stayed back in the crowd, enjoying conversations but secretly sneaking peeks at the young Ladies and Lords that graced the dancefloor. 

     "Do you think she's happy?" The marquess nervously tugged at his collar, Lady Danbury noticed how intently he was staring at his daughter who was dancing with the secondborn Bridgerton "I think she is more than happy" She coed whilst leaning on her walking stick.

      "You must remember the electricity that comes with love Alexander do you not?" The Marquess' brown eyes trailed back to the older woman,

      "Like it was yesterday" He gave a small smile, sipping his wine.

      "Then you can feel the static between the young couple, even now" She gestured back to the pair. Both Benedict and Elizabeth had bright smiles on their faces with the occasional giggle peeking through. But there was a sense between the two, almost as if they were magnets that kept pushing them together, it mirrored another pair on the dancefloor. Simon and Daphne, although their dance was mostly filled with lustful glances and small chattering

     "She looks so much like her; so much like Rose" The Marquess grinned slightly as the pair looked at Elizabeth. It was true, the young Sheppard girl had turned into the mirror image of her mother, even adopted her kind motherly traits, only really her father's temper and love for knowledge.

     "She really does" Lady Danbury traced the top of her cane. 

    "Rosalind would have loved this" He spoke under his breath 'She would have loved to see how her children grew, who they would have become" He pulled his smile into a thin line,

      "She would have wanted to let Simon know he was loved by us, that he was cared for" Lady Danbury placed a hand on his arm. 

    "I think he already knows Your Grace. And I am most certain that Rosalind is looking at everyone with pride Alexnder" There were a few moments of silence between the pair as they continued to observe the couples of the ton.

      "You know I couldn't have done this without you" He nudged her side, her smirk widening "You've taught my children many lessons, and for that, I am indebted entirely to you"

      "Don't thank me yet, I still need to find your son the next Marquess" Lady Danbury's words caused the pair to chuckle, "That may be a difficult task"

      "Difficult! The boy will the death of us!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.8K 348 12
"My heart ached for her when she wasn't near, but it skipped a beat when I saw her." It is Elizabeth Johnston's second debutante, she finds it press...
76K 1.5K 18
You and Benedict have been best friends since childhood, but things change dramatically once you come out in society. You're struggling to find someo...
74.4K 732 8
A Bridgerton Fanfic! Simon x Daphne! Complete! All it takes is five minutes alone with one another, and then Daphne's cheeks are so red, she cannot d...
61.5K 3.3K 12
𝐈 𝐠𝐚𝐳𝐞 𝐮𝐩𝐨𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐦 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞 𝐮𝐩𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐞 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐢...