Realizations

Dearest Readers,

A question. Is anything more exhilarating than taking a gamble? For it is often the highest risk that carries the greatest reward. Yet, wager wrongly, and you might find yourself left with nothing but regret.  Of course, one can never know for sure whether a wager could make a fortune, or ruin it unless one chooses a more secure pursuit. But as the season continues, the biggest gamblers have yet to truly show their hand. Which leaves gossip in short supply in recent days. In fact, this author can think of no other event that merits a mention. It is worthy of note, however,  that the Duke and Duchess of Hastings have yet to entertain callers together.  Our newlyweds are no doubt still secluded in nuptial bliss. Who could fault them? And who could be surprised if their diligent efforts are rewarded with a new arrival within the year?

    "So Whisltedown is stumped..." Elizabeth noted as she chewed on her nail, placing down the newest addition and slumping back into the cushioned seat. Daphne had invited her to tea at the Basset's city home across London, but even though the woman had invited her friend it seemed that she was completely unfocused, worrying about something else entirely.

       "Daph" Elizabeth spoke up watching as her pale skin crinkled between her brows and her blue eyes glazed over an unknown spot in the back of the room.

       "Daphne" Elizabeth raised her voice, jolting the Duchess from her thoughts. She blinked rapidly, smoothing out her skirt and placing a playful smile on her face.

       "Don't give me that" Elizabeth leaned forward taking a teacup and saucer before placing it on her lap.

       "Don't give me that fake smile" Daphne raised a brow, she thought she was hiding her feelings better but the blonde knew her all too well to know when she was upset "You sent me that letter and expect me to think that everything's perfect? Within a week everything has fixed itself?" She raised a curious brow narrowing her green eyes as she watched her friend shift in her position.

      "The Duke and I-" 

        "Why must you be so formal?" She asked this time her stomach churning a bit at Daphne's reluctance to open up. Daphne bowed her head, relaxing her tense shoulders as she fiddled with her fingers.

       "We've just had our differences, seems the honeymoon period fades away quickly for some" Her cheeks pulled back into a sad smile, one that was filling with pleading as Elizabeth saw the small tears pooling in the corners of her eyes. She quickly leaned forward, placed her tea down and made her way over to Daphne's side "Hey" She took her hands calling for her gaze 

      "Daphne look at me" She urged her friend who slowly lifted her chin, her blue eyes shifted to meet hers "You and Simon mean everything to me, to see you in a rift is nothing close to normal" She gently squeezed her digits tighter around Daphne's

      "You love each other, desperately, wholeheartedly, and truly love each other Yes?" Daphne nodded her saddened face lighting up "That whatever is bothering you, whether you tell me or not will pass because it is you, the Diamond of the First Waters, Duchess of Hastings, Daphne Bridgerton Basset!" The young woman's lips curled at her friend's encouragements "You are the strongest woman I know and you will get through this" Elizabeth lowered her voice into a hush, resting their hands in her lab as she watched Daphne grow a grin, an honest look as she stared back at her best friend.

       "Better?" Elizabeth asked the dimples in her cheek pressing in as she decorated her face with a smile,

        "Better"