allies || jean kirstein

By Mhilkyrose

๐‰๐„๐€๐ ๐Š๐ˆ๐‘๐’๐“๐„๐ˆ๐ ๐— ๐Ž๐‚ ยป in which she find herself tangled up in the brewing battle against paradi... More

INTRODUCTION
PLAYLIST
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028

020

1.2K 60 103
By Mhilkyrose

────── {. .} ──────

MAEVE SWUNG HER LEGS OVER THE LEDGE. She stood up walking across the roof. To her surprise, she wasn't alone.

"Jean?" She asked the dark shadow in front of her. He turned towards her, the moon reflecting off making him look invisible in the night. "What are you doing out here?" Maeve walked over and sat down beside him.

"Clearing my mind," Jean turned back around looking ahead. "I could say the same to you." He whispered. Maeve chewed at the inside of her cheek. "I needed a break," Maeve shut her eyes.

The window blew through her hair, Jean watched as a small smile found its way onto her face. "I can feel your eyes," She smirked. Jean snapped his head away to hide his flushed cheeks.

He was grateful for the night sky, she couldn't see his red cheeks even if she tried. Maeve peeked her eye open, watching Jean from the side.

"I'm just teasing you." She reached over squeezing his hand. He looked down at their hands and then back up at her. Maeve pulled their hands apart bring her hands back to her lap.

"Sorry," She mumbled. Jean opened his mouth to tell her he was the one sorry for making it awkward. Like always he couldn't form the words. Whenever he was around Maeve he often found himself struggling to speak.

It wasn't that he didn't speak at all around her but he was afraid of making himself look like a foul around her. What he didn't know was that anything he said or could do would ever change how she felt about him.

The same could be said about her, the lack of communication had made both of them incapable of acknowledging their feelings.

Four years had passed since she first stepped foot in Paradis. She spent half of her time avoiding the truth. Telling herself she wasn't worthy of Jean's affection.

Now as they sat under the moonlight for the first time in a while, all of that became forgotten. It felt as if whatever could happen on the rooftop where she first shared her secrets with him, would remain there, untouched.

Maeve reached her hand up brushing away his hair from his face. She leaned over, her other hand propping her body up. He froze as he watched her glance down at his lips.

She looked up at his eyes again, her breath hitched in her throat waiting for him to make the next move. Jeans traveling hand stopped at her waist.

It was as if the world had gone still just for the both of them. Jean leaned forward brushing his nose against hers. Their lips grazed but just before they could touch she pulled away pressing her face up against his chest.

Either way, her kissing him or not she'd be selfish. Maeve wasn't sure what she wanted anymore, the only thing she knew was that she had fallen in love with Jean Kirstein.

Part of her wanted to know if she had realized sooner, would it have changed anything?

Then another part of her knew the true answer. There was no time for love in a war, she would be a fool if she did think it would change anything. Jean wrapped his arms around her tightly as if she would disappear.

The ache in her chest rumbled as she cried into his shirt. Feeling his arms around her made it all the worse. She wished things were different, had she been born in Paradis with different parents.

Maybe she would've met Jean sooner and had more time with him. There was no say how much time she'd have with everyone. "Jean," She choked on her words.

"It's okay," He mumbled into her hair. It wasn't okay, they knew that. Jean couldn't help but lie to her.

He brought her back to her room, this time he didn't spend the night with her. Jean walked back to his room at the end of the hall, not looking back.

The entire night consisted of Maeve tossing and turning. Unable to shut up her mind. When she finally managed to shut her eyes, it was time to get up and start the new day.

She slipped out of bed and sat down on her chair. Like every other morning, she unwrapped the bandages on her leg. Changing the old ones for new ones.

Her leg was healing well but was still healing slowly. It would leave a nasty scar, serving as a permanent reminder of what happened in Liberio.

Pushing through the pain she wrapped it back up with new gauze.

Maeve left her room early to see Levi before he would leave to watch Zeke in the forest.

"Do you have to go? Who's going to yell at me over tea if you're gone." Maeve frowned. Levi rolled his eyes. "I'm not going away forever." He huffed.

He walked over to his bookshelf grabbing a few books for his trip. Levi placed them inside his bag to keep himself busy.

"We'll be waiting for you," Maeve rested against his desk. "Don't get lazy while I'm gone." He pointed his finger at her.

"Wouldn't dream of it, Captain." Maeve rolled her eyes. "So, Kirstein?" Levi quirked an eyebrow.

"What?" She blushed, turning away and hiding her red cheeks. "Hange told me all about Jean always being in your room." Levi turned towards her.

Maeve suspected Hange had spoken all about it to Levi. Probably more often than Hange likes to admit.

"Hange was lying," She mumbled still looking away from him. "I think you're too old for the talk but there's no scout babysitting club so refrain from procreating." He turned away to finish packing.

"I didn't need to hear you say that." She recoiled, and a shiver slipped down her spine. "I just need to make sure we're on the same page here." Levi tossed a few bags of tea into his bag.

"Trust me, we are," Maeve said. The last thing she wanted was to have children, especially at a time like this.

"How are you supposed to make tea in the forest?" Maeve immediately regretted saying that because the second she did Levi glared at her.

"I was just wondering," She held her hands up defensively. "Get off my desk, you're dirtying it." Levi smacked the back of her head. She flinched and got off the ledge.

"What are you doing?" Levi took a step back. "Hugging you," Maeve held out her arms as she walked closer to him. Levi stood completely still as he felt Maeve lean down and wrap her arms around his shoulders.

"That's not necessary." Levi's voice was rigid as he stood there with his arms straight.

"Don't be a grouch, appreciate it because you won't know if this is the last time we'll see each other," Maeve mumbled. He brought his hands up and awkwardly patted her back.

She pulled away satisfied that Levi returned the hug even if it was not the way she wanted. Still, he tried his best.

"I should have Hange kick your ass for speaking like that." Levi crossed his arms across his chest.

"I'm being realistic." Maeve groaned. He was getting all serious which meant she'd probably have to deal with another lecture.

"No you're being pessimistic," Levi corrected her.

"Just stay safe," Maeve said, not wanting to further discuss the topic of the possibilities that could happen while he was gone.

"Will do, kid." He pinched the bridge of his nose.
"I told you, I'm not a kid." She huffed. Levi uncrossed his arms and pointed towards the door.

"Get out of my office or I'll kick you out myself." He said firmly. "Yes, captain." Maeve gave him a salute to tease him before leaving. He rolled his eyes and rubbed his temples.

That was the reason he never worked with anyone younger than Hange. Even if Hange had already been a handful despite them only being younger than him by five years.

Maeve had decided to take a well-deserved bath. She laid back, sinking into the water. The warm water felt relaxing on her muscles, just what she needed.

She leaned her head back and closed her eyes, taking in the peace. To her surprise, the door swung open causing her to jump up. She looked over at the door to see who it was.

"I'm sorry," Jean turned around quickly, giving his back to her. "It's okay," She sighed and leaned back down. Believed it was just Jean and not anyone else.

Maeve couldn't have imagined if it was Levi or Connie. She shuttered just from thinking about the scenario.

"Are you sure?" Jean asked, with his back still facing her. "You're going to let all the cold air in if you don't lock the door." She barked at him. Jean quickly closed the door with his back still facing her.

"You can turn around," Maeve mumbled as she leaned back down, closing her eyes. "Are you sure?" Jean asked again. "Stop asking before I walk over and kick you out myself." She mumbled.

Jean turned around slowly, trying to hide his red cheeks in the collar of his shirt. "Did something happen or did you accidentally walk in?" She turned her head towards him, eyes still closed.

"Accident but I was looking for you. I didn't think you were here." Jean leaned up against the wall. Maeve propped her arms up at the edge of the tub, she looked over at him.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" She rested her chin on her forearms. Jean nodded his head.

Maeve patted the spot on the floor. Jean looked down at her hand, deciding whether or not he should sit there. "This can be our thing," She said referring to the fact she had also sat with him while he bathed.

"I'd prefer if our thing didn't consist of talking in a bathroom while one of us is naked." Jean walked over and sat down, leaning his back against the wall. "You're just flustered easily," Maeve mumbled.

"Say's you," Jean dramatically rolled his eyes.

"You have no room to speak." Maeve gasped. Jean's cheeks turned red instantly, proving her point.

He turned away from her, wanting to hide his face from her. Jean knew she'd tease him for getting flustered. Deciding to not torment him, she changed the subject. "Why were you looking for me?" She turned her body towards him.

"It's stupid," Jean shook his head. "Come on, tell me." Maeve reached over and grabbed his leg. He froze and looked down at her hand. Maeve caught on to why he didn't move.

Quickly she withdrew her hand from him, mumbling a sorry. "I had a book I wanted to read to you," Jean said. Maeve smiled thinking back to before.

"Well, I can't wait." She beamed. Maeve pulled away from the edge and sunk back into the water.

"You'll love the book, I promise." Jean snickered. Maeve quirked up an eyebrow and glanced in his direction. She shook her head and closed her eyes.

She washed up and Jean had slipped out, giving her privacy to get dressed. He waited patiently in her room. Once she was done, she walked over to her room.

She walked in and to her surprise, Jean was sitting on her bed. He got up to meet her at the door.

Maeve liked what they had going on, there was something unspoken between them. She feared mentioning it would destroy it and so did he.

Maybe it was for the best.  Not kissing him or telling him how she felt was probably for the better.

"What's this?" Jean asked as he brushed his fingers on the book she had on her table.

"Oh, it's a book I was reading with Mikasa and Armin. We never got to finish it," Maeve walked up from behind him. Slipping her arms around his waist, she pressed her cheek against his back.

"Perfect because I have just the book for you." He slipped away from her. Jean turned around holding up a book in his hands.

"Cat in the hat?" She wasn't sure if she was seeing this or going crazy. "I know, a classic," Jean smiled.

"Uh, thank you?" It came out more of a question than a statement. She couldn't believe this was the book he had mentioned in the bathroom.

"To make it better, I'm going to read it to you." She smiled and shook her head. It reminded her of the beginning when he'd read to her at night but they had gotten too busy. He no longer had time to come into her room and waste what little time they had on reading.

Normally Jean would slip into her room late at night and they would curl up next to each other. Then fall fast asleep almost instantly but some days he noticed she wanted to be alone even if she never said it.

On those nights he'd sleep in his room, hugging his body to comfort himself.

"I can't wait," Maeve threw herself on her bed. Quickly she got comfortable making space for him too.

She patted the space next to her, and Jean laid down with his back propped up from her pillow.

With the bed being too small, she wrapped her arms around him pulling him as close as possible so he wouldn't fall.

Jean opened the book and read out the title. After a few tries, he managed to get it out correctly. He kept stopping because his giggles interrupted him.

Maeve's cheeks were beginning to hurt from smiling. It was cheesy, Jean struggled to read a children's book because he found it the funniest thing in the world. While Maeve couldn't stop smiling because Jean found it funny.

After an hour, Jean managed to finish reading the book. He placed it on her table before hopping back into bed. She rested her head on his chest, wrapping her arms around his torso.

They drifted asleep quickly in each other's arms.

"Do you know what time it is? We went to bed pretty late." Jean yawned.

"No, I'm not sure." Maeve shoved her face back into the bed. "I'll go out and check." He said as he slipped out from under her.

"Wait for me," Maeve hopped off the bed slipping her boot on, not bothering to change into her day clothes yet.

He stood by the door as she smoothed down her bedhead. "Sorry," She mumbled through her yawn. Maeve walked over to the door, opened it, and held it for Jean.

"Did you just leave Maeve's room?" She heard Connie's voice from outside. Without thinking she slammed the door, leaving Jean outside alone with Connie.

She pressed her ear up against the door. "No," Jean stuttered. It was silent for a moment, the sound of ruffling was all she could hear. "I mean yes but it's not what it looks like." Jean's voice was high-pitched.

She decided that leaving Jean outside to fend for himself was evil so she slipped out ignoring Connie. "Stop right there," Connie grabbed the back of her shirt, pulling Maeve back.

"We didn't do anything," Maeve said defensively. "That's what they all say, look at Jean. He's blushing, how cute." Connie teased as he poked Jean's cheeks.

"You guys got funky." He wiggled his eyebrows. Maeve scrunched her nose, visibly recoiling at his awful choice of words. Out of everything he could've said that was probably the worst outcome.

"Funky?" Jean was confused by what Connie was trying to say. Maeve pinched the bridge of her nose. "Oh god," She cried.

Jean finally noticed what Connie meant. "Connie, I'm going to strangle you if you don't shut up." He motioned with his hands.

"Woah, I didn't know Maeve was into that kind of stuff." Connie laughed. "I'll shave you bald in your sleep if you don't stop." Maeve glared at him.

"I'm sorry," Connie was horrified. "You know I've been working on growing my hair for the past year," He brought his hands up to his hair. It was still significantly short. If she hadn't known Connie beforehand she'd thought he was lying about his last haircut being a year ago.

"Just the people I wanted to see," Hange walked over to them. Hange patted Maeve's back, she jumped taken back by Hange's heavy pats.

"Something happened?" Jean asked Hange.

Hange waved their hand to tell him no. "I just have an important job for you three," Hange said. Maeve nodded, ready to go straight to business the second Hange gave the order.

"Connie and Jean will come with me. I need you to warn Historia about the guard and doctors that'll be spending the rest of the war at her cabin." Hange told Maeve. She nodded her head, understanding what was being asked.

"I'll see you later," Maeve squeezed Jean's hand, letting it slip out of grasp. She went back to her room.

After freshening up and getting dressed she decided to set off. On her way out she passed by the hall that led downstairs where the jail was. The same jail that was holding Eren.

She stopped in front of the door for a split second before moving on. The walk to the stables was quicker than expected. Maeve placed the saddle on her horse before mounting it.

There was no rush to Historia's cabin, it was still early in the morning and it didn't seem like there'd be much to do later.

It took a little longer than usual for Maeve to reach the cabin. Historia sat on the porch in her rocking chair alone. It was how she choose to spend most of her days, the farmer never questioned it.

Historia looked over towards the noise off in the distance, she noticed it was Maeve so she quickly wiped away any stray tears.

Maeve walked over slowly, wincing as she heard the sound of the grass crunching underneath her boot. It was unusual for the trees and grass to be this dead during spring. She'd say it's some metaphor for something big but that was a stretch, even for her.

"I'm sorry to bother you," Maeve brought her hands behind her back and leaned against the pillar on the patio. Historia shook her head, waving her hand to tell her it was fine.

"Hange sent me, even though I'm sure it was to get rid of me for a while." Maeve knew there was an ulterior motive for sending her out.

If informing Historia was a priority then a letter would've sufficed. "I'm sure Hange means well," Historia smiled softly.

"Yeah," Maeve whispered as she looked off into the distance. "What is it that you came to tell me?" Historia brought her attention back. Maeve shook her head rattling around her thoughts to clear her head. She turned back to Historia.

"Hange thought you'd like to know that the doctors will come to live here with you for the time being," Maeve said. Historia hummed taking in her words, she wouldn't be alone.

While it should have been what she wanted, it wasn't but it's not like Historia ever got what she truly wanted. The difference this would make would be minuscule compared to the decisions she has made in her life.

"I know, it's silly for me to go all this way." Maeve scratched at the back of their neck.

"No, it's nice seeing a familiar face" Historia gave her a soft smile. Maeve returned the kind gesture and looked back off into the distance.

Historia watched as Maeve became completely sidelined by the scenery. While it seemed to have brought Maeve to peace, it did the opposite for Historia. Serves as a reminder that although she was living selfishly for herself, it would never be the life she truly wanted.

"You know about Eren's plan." Instead of asking, it was more of a statement. She had managed to piece it together a while back but the look on Historia's face confirmed it.

Historia remained silent, her hand clenched around the fabric of her dress. "I'm not asking for you to tell me, whatever words you discussed with Yeager. They're not my business so I won't pry into it." She wondered how far Eren had gone to orchestrate everything.

How long had he been planning all of this?

"He never told me what he was planning but he still entrusted me enough to hold secrets that hold no meaning. At least not to myself, I'm sure they do to you." Maeve said slowly.

"What I'm trying to get at right now is that Eren is sorry. He never wanted to do any of this but he cares far more about his friends than himself." Maeve decided to pass along the apology he gave to her to Historia. She needed it more, Historia was the strongest woman she had ever met.

Without hesitation, she was willing to take upon Zeke's plan. Becoming a breeding machine and inheriting the beast titan was a horrifying concept. That Historia was willing to do for her people.

"In the end, I'm sure it'll be the thing to kill him." Maeve nodded.

Historia goes cold, not sure what to say. "It's a shame, I've only known you guys for four years and I feel like a pest. Digging my way into your lives and making myself at home." Maeve mimicked her words by using her hands to symbolize a predator attacking prey.

She knew that she probably looked crazy in Historia's eyes but it didn't stop her. "I was selfish at first, the only reason I came to Paradis was to benefit my mother and me." Maeve forced a smile as she looked at Historia

"Why are you telling me this?" Her voice isn't hostile. She was trying to understand Maeve but she was struggling. Historia wanted to know more about her but she couldn't piece it together.

"I thought I could use some advice from the worst girl in the world." Maeve quirked her lip up as she looks over at Historia.

Her blood had gone cold at her words. How did Maeve know about that? "How do you know that?" Historia breathed out.

"I don't know," Maeve frowned and looked away from Historia. Truth be told, she didn't but it felt familiar to her. It must've been when Eren touched her and she froze. Something was wrong with her and she had no idea what it could be.

"My advice is to live a life you're proud of. I probably shouldn't say it's my advice, someone really important told me that." Historia smiled fondly back at the memory.

"I like that," Maeve nodded her head, letting Historia's words sink in. Would there still be time to live a life she would be proud of? When would she start that?

"Do you want something to eat or drink?" Historia spoke up, not wanting to sit outside anymore.

"Historia, you're pregnant I can't accept anything from you." Maeve frowned.

"You came over here, it's the least I can do." Historia smiled as she slowly got up
from the chair. Maeve rushed over, helping Historia stand and enter her home. She followed closely behind as they walked into the kitchen. Historia stood by the sink, waiting for a request.

"I'll just take a water," Maeve knew Historia wouldn't have let her get off so easily.

She nodded her head, reaching up in the cabinet for a glass cup. Historia poured water into the cup before handing it to Maeve.

"They don't think you'll make it." She said between sips. "Wait, what do you mean?" Historia rubbed her hand across her stomach to calm her nerves.

"Floch, the Yeagerists, and the military police." Maeve continued sipping on her water. Historias fists clenched and she dropped them to her side, seething with anger.

"They can all go to hell, they're not the ones beyond pregnant and keeping the secrets I know," Historia yelled into the air. She was sick of people treating her like she'd break when she was far stronger than any of them could ever be.

"Historia, please sit down." Maeve helped her over to the table in the kitchen. Historia didn't argue, she sat down on the chair.

"It's so hard to do this all alone, I just want to see her again." Maeve had no clue who Historia was speaking about. It didn't take a genius to realize Historia was talking about a past lover that was no longer alive. Her heartache for the blonde in front of her.

The world was cruel and at times it made Maeve feel helpless but she believed nothing was stronger than love. Even after everything, she wanted to still try and make a difference. While it wouldn't be much of a difference being that she was one person taking on the world.

It brought her some peace of mind that at least she could try, even if it wasn't always her best. Maeve wasn't going to sit by and accept the way the world was. Maybe this was the life she could live and be proud of. She just didn't know how to truly live that life without lying to herself.

"She would be so proud of you but she wouldn't want you to worry like this. Just because you're the Queen doesn't mean you have to force yourself to change." Maeve sat down on an empty chair beside Historia.

"Paradis needs a ruler whos strong enough to fight for the people and that's you, you're exactly what we need. They'll be the first ones gone after the smoke clears but not you." It was true, Historias strength outweighed the Yeagerist's. Maeve still didn't fully know their plan, she had spent days following them around secretly.

She purposely avoided Floch who was constantly on his toes and paranoid. All she gathered was that an attack in Paradis would happen sooner than expected.

"I feel pathetic, I'm in a cabin crying while pregnant with you here." She laughed as she wiped her tears with the back of her hands.

"Should I be offended?" Maeve tried to crack a joke to get her mind off of it.

"No, of course not. I'm grateful that you're here, the farmer had gone out for wood earlier so I've been alone ever since." Historia looked down at her stomach and frowned.

"I'll be there," Maeve blurted out. Historia looked up at her a furrowed her eyebrows. She was confused at what Maeve was trying to say.

"What are you talking about?" Historia asked.

"When you give birth, whatever day it is. I'll be there." Maeve grabbed Historia's hand and gave it a soft squeeze of reassurance.

"How will you know?" She looked at their hands.

"I just will know, it won't matter where I am or what I'm doing. I'll is here, I promise." Maeve knew that potentially it could be a promise that she can't keep. It still put the Queen at ease, knowing that despite being physically alone. At least someone out there was on her side.

The front door flew open, revealing the farmer on the patio. He bent down, kicking off boots still holding the firewood tight to his chest.

"Perfect timing, we were talking about you." Historia teased. His eyes widened and he froze, clearly nervous that it must've been hateful.

"It was nothing harmful, loosen up a bit." Historia waved dismissing it. "No worries, Historia. I brought back some wood, I even snagged our dinner." He said as he placed the firewood in the hallway by the kitchen.

He walked over to the kitchen sink, washing his hands. "The berries are growing in lovely for the summer." He dried his hands off with the towel that was on the counter.

"I should get going," Maeve got up from the chair, slipping away from Historia.

"Are you sure?" He thought you were going to stay for dinner, he even planned out a meal that would be the perfect serving for an extra person.

"Yeah, I have to see Hange." Maeve dusted off her pants. "It was nice to see you again," Historia looked up at Maeve

"Same to you," She bowed down. "Don't be a stranger." Historia pointed her finger at Maeve.

"Wouldn't dream of it, your highness." She gave her a curtsy. Historia waved Maeve off telling her to go before it gets late.

She mounted her horse and made the journey back. The entire time she wondered exactly what was it that they wanted to speak about without her knowing.

Back at the Barracks, Hange had held a meeting between everyone on Maeve.  "It's true, we can't trust her. She's a ticking time bomb." Connie rose his voice. "How could you say that? She's your best friend." Jean furrowed his eyebrows. He was confused as to why Connie had decided to turn against Maeve.

"It's the truth, look around." Connie held his hand out to motion.

"You haven't been the same since Sasha, you should be the last one talking." Jean held his finger out to Connie. This fueled him even more. "The only reason you're defending her is that you're trying to get in her pants." Connie spat at him. Jean had gone cold and froze. Taken back by Connie's words.

"Everyone calm down," Hange yelled as they got up sticking their arms out between Jean and Connie. Armin gulped and rubbed his sweaty palms against his pants. "Let's not fight over girls," Hange tried to crack a joke but it failed miserably.

"She's not just a girl," Mikasa defended her. "I know, sorry." Hange frowned. "Do you realize how awful it is to be here, talking shit about her while she's not here?" Jean finally spoke up. Armin agreed, nodding his head to Jean's words.

"I'm sorry, I'm just worried for her and her safety comes before fighting." Hange threw themselves onto a chair, exhausted with everything. They hadn't meant for this to have gone so out of proportion but it did.

Armin stood up, finally speaking. "Maeve's fine, she just needs time to collect her thoughts. No one here has room to judge," Armin said referring to the fact that all of them had lost a lot along the way. It was only normal to have reactions to loss.

"Armin's right, we've known her for four years. It wouldn't be fair to treat her any differently." Mikasa fiddled with the fabric of her shirt, refusing to look up and make eye contact with anyone.

"Thank you," Jean mumbled. "It's okay, it's the least I'd do for a friend." Mikasa smiled softly looking up at Jean. He nodded his head, letting her words sink in.

When Maeve arrived back at the barn they all had already gone their separate ways. Hange wanted to be the first one to see her so Hange waited in the barn.

"You're back," Hange approached her. Maeve placed the saddleback where it belonged on the hook. "Did I take too long?" She frowned.

"No," Hange held a hand out. "I just wanted to apologize." Hange corrected themself. Maeve nodded at Hange's words.

"I forgive you," Maeve didn't hesitate to accept the apology. "I didn't even explain why I'm apologizing for." Hange watched as she closed the pen.

"I don't need to, whatever it is isn't worth me being angry over." Maeve turned around and leaned against the gate. "Hange, I've known you for a while. I think it's safe to say I know you wouldn't intentionally harm me." Maeve shoved her hands into her pockets.

Hange mimicked Maeve, leaning against the gate. "I spoke to Jean, Connie, Mikasa, and Armin about you being erratic," Hange whispered the last word. Hoping that Maeve would not catch it.

"I see," Maeve mumbled as she looked ahead, away from Hange. "I didn't mean any harm," Hange held out their hands defensively.

Maeve turned back towards Hange, she placed her hand on Hange's shoulder. Gently she pushed down, getting Hange to put their hands down. Finally, once Hange was calm again, Maeve responded.

"I still forgive you, I don't blame you. It's not something worth being angry about, especially when there are a billion more things that are far more important." Maeve gave Hange's shoulder a soft squeeze.

"I don't think you get it, I trust you. I do, I want you to be lieutenant." Hange grabbed Maeve's wrist, taking her hand off of her shoulder. Maeve's hand had gone stiff in Hange's.

"What?" Maeve asked. Trying to process the words that left Hange's mouth. "This is going too fast for me." Maeve pulled her hand out of Hange's and brought it up to her temples.

"You've been by my side for four years if it's anyone I trust. It's you, I don't know how much time is left for someone like me." Hange shoved their hands into the pockets of their coat.

"Don't speak like that." Maeven frowned. She had used Levi's words against Hange. "Levi told you that didn't he." Hange shook their head, thinking back to when he told them the same thing.

"Levi would hate to hear you say that, so don't for his sake." She broke away from the gate and started to walk off. Hange followed behind Maeve.

"I'm serious about the lieutenant thing," Hange said as they rushed to keep up with Maeve's fast steps. "I'll take you up on that offer under one condition." Maeve turned around. She stopped and so did Hange, still leaving a gap between them.

"What condition is that?" Hange asked. "When Historia gives birth, no when she needs me. No matter, what we're doing, I need to be able to drop everything." Maybe that was her being selfish but Maeve wanted to uphold her promise to Historia.

It was obvious that Historia needed someone, even if Maeve wasn't the person Historia needed. She'd still try to be that person because it might be enough to change something. This could be the start of her living the life she would be proud of.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 327 8
๐€๐ซ๐ฆ๐ข๐ง ๐— ๐๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ค ๐‘๐ž๐š๐๐ž๐ซ ๐Ž๐ซ ๐ˆ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก ๐€๐ซ๐ฆ๐ข๐ง ๐ฆ๐ž๐ž๐ญ๐ฌ ๐š ๐ก๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐›๐จ๐๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ก๐ซ๐จ๐ฎ๐ ๐ก ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐ž๐ฐ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ž๐ฑ๐ญ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๏ฟฝ...
9.6K 330 46
the daughter of a dying bloodline and humanity's strongest soldier find themselves entangled in a web of emotions they never expected to feel. but as...
321K 9.2K 47
๐˜ž๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ข ๐˜จ๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ญ ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ง๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด. ๐˜ž๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฃ๐˜ด ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ...
9.7K 279 21
โœฟ๊•ฅยฐโœŽ Baseball player Jean x Journalist Reader (modern au) โœฟ๊•ฅยฐโœŽ Currently chapter: 18/24 "๐™ณ๐š˜๐š—'๐š ๐š•๐šŽ๐šŠ๐šŸ๐šŽ, ๐šˆ/๐™ฝ. ๐™ธ ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š—'๐š ๐š•๐š˜๐š˜๐šœ๐šŽ ๐šข๐š˜๐šž...