Shortie - Jayson Tatum

By DaveIsFave

Naomi is an athletic trainer for the Charlotte Hornets. How does she juggle her busy career and love? Follow... More

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twenty One.
Twenty Two.
Twenty Three.
Twenty Four.
Twenty Five.
Twenty Six.
Twenty Seven.
Twenty Eight.
Twenty Nine.
Thirty.
Thirty One.
Thirty Two.
Thirty Three.
Thirty Four.
Thirty Five.
Thirty Six.
Thirty Seven.
Thirty Eight.
Thirty Nine.
Forty.
Forty One.
Forty Two.
Forty Three.
Forty Four.
Forty Five.
Forty Six.
Forty Seven.
Forty Eight.
Forty Nine.
Fifty.
Fifty One.
Fifty Two.
Fifty Three
Fifty Four.
Fifty Five.

Sixteen.

4.2K 151 140
By DaveIsFave

Naomi's POV

I laid in slight pain on my bed with my head trying to rest on my pillow. Jayson is currently with me while Jasmine runs out and gets my medicine.

I got my wisdom teeth out today and I thought this was going to be a piece of cake...I was wrong. I'm really uncomfortable and it's just a bleh feeling.

"Open." Jayson stood over me. I immediately shook my head. "Come on you need to change your gauzes. It'll be quick. I promise."

"Have you done this before?" I managed to get out.

"Yeah." I could tell by his face he was a liar. I kept my mouth shut. I'll wait for Jasmine. "Come on Naomi. I'll be gentle. I have a kid remember? I have to be gentle."

I squinted at him and slowly opened my mouth. "Don't fuckin bite me." He said right before he put his fingers in my mouth. "Or imma smack your cheek."

I chuckled to myself because I actually considered it. He quickly took them out of my mouth before replacing them with fresh ones.

"Thanks." I mumbled and he patted the top of my head.

"You should get some rest."

"I will when my medicine gets here. Can you ice pack me please?"

He retrieved my ice pack and sat beside me holding it on the side of my face for me so I didn't have to. I was really hoping Melo would be here. I sent him a text about my appointment but never got a response.

They're playing here in Boston tonight and I actually scheduled it like that. I miss him a lot so I was hoping he could chip in, spend some time with me.

My birthday is approaching and we won't be together. I tried to find another way for us to be together with this.

I don't know. It's like he's ghosting me. At least that's what it feels like. I reach out and it's like crickets. Doesn't feel like I have a boyfriend.

He's also a busy man so I try not to look at it too deep. On the other hand, when do I let him know that I'm feeling neglected?

I heard my front door open but remained in the position I was in because I was finally getting some relief.

Jasmine rubbed over my head then opened the bag for me. "I got you a few things. Your medicine of course. I also got you some ice cream and jello. I know you don't really like soup but I got you some. I also bought mash potatoes for backup in case you're really, really against the soup."

"Thank you." I mumbled with my eyes closed.

"Did you change her gauze?" I heard her ask Jayson.

"I did."

"Did she bite you?"

"No. We had a nice little conversation prior." He softly patted my cheek after removing the ice pack then put it back.

"Thanks for keeping an eye on her. She hates being alone when she's not 100 percent."

"I can tell. She acts like Deuce." My eyes instantly opened and glared at him which caused him to laugh. "I gotta get going." He stood up. "Get some rest little girl. Bye Jasmine."

I remained in my comfortable position and gave him a peace sign. Once it was just the two of us, she gave me my medicine and I was back laying down.

"Has Melo called or texted me?" I asked on my way to sleep.

"Not yet boo. I'm sure he'll respond soon."

I slightly nodded and I was off to sleep.

LaMelo's POV

"Where's shortie?" Miles asked while we did warmups since the game would be starting soon.

"I'm wondering the same thing." I said still looking around. I figured she'd be the first person who would come talk to us.

Cody came over bouncing the ball he had. "She's not coming tonight." He stated casually.

"What you mean? Why not?" He obviously know more about my girl than I do.

"Uh she got her wisdom teeth out today. Jasmine is with her now." He looked at me with a raised eyebrow probably judging me that I didn't know that.

"Who's Jasmine?" PJ asked and I tuned out their conversation.

I made my way to the locker room to call her. She didn't tell me about her wisdom teeth being taken out. I swear I ain't know.

The phone dialed and then connected. "Hey." I heard a monotone voice and I knew it was Jasmine.

"Can you give Naomi the phone please?"

"She's sleeping."

Well since she's here I might as well ask. "Why ain't nobody tell me about her appointment today?"

"Nobody other than her should have told you. That's one. Two, she did tell you. She sent you a whole text that I'm looking at. Two days ago."

I went to check my messages and I found it amongst all the other texts I received. It got lost with everybody else sending me stuff.

I scratched at my head and sighed. "Look Melo. Don't feel bad. It was an honest mistake. I don't know how she'll see it but all you can do is apologize and make it up to her. Another thing, I'm not trying to be all in you guy's relationship. You know I've been a supporter of y'all for a minute. Right?"

"Right." I confirmed.

"You need to put some more effort into this thing. She seems sad and it's hard to detect with her but because I've known her for so long, I can tell. Again, I don't want to pry, it was just something I picked up on that I thought you should know."

"Thanks for telling me."

"No problem. Maybe after the game you can sneak over here. She'd love that. I'm sure she'll be asleep for a while. I'll have her phone so you can text it if you want me to open the door or something."

"I appreciate that Jas. Yeah I'll come over after. Text me what you want to eat. I'll pick us up something."

"My nigga." I could hear the grin in that. "You know Naomi can't eat nothing though right?"

"Oh you right. Do I need to pick something up for her?"

"No, I got her some stuff. I doubt she'll want to eat anything other than ice cream for real. I'll check again when I wake her up in a few."

"Okay. Let me know if she wants anything but don't tell her I'm coming."

"I got you. Break a le-"

"Aht! No. That is not something you say to an athlete. Keep that shit over there and to yourself. Hope you don't be saying that to Cody."

It was quiet for a second. "You know, our call loses connection when I'm beginning to say it."

"Gee I wonder why. He hanging up on yo ass. As he should. Don't say that shit again." I hung up right after I said that.

She really thought that was the best thing to say? Good luck would do just fine.

Now I feel bad. It's no secret that I've been a shitty boyfriend. It's not intentional. I just been hella busy. That's really no excuse because I could make time, I just haven't.

I really feel bad because she's all the way here and she still make an effort to reach out, and do her part as my girlfriend despite her being busy as well.

"You good gang?" Miles came in and asked me.

I looked up at him, since I was sitting, and nodded. "Yeah. I'm coming out now." I put my phone away and went back out to the court.

——————
11:49 pm....

I walked through the front door of Naomi's apartment and saw the living room empty. I placed the food and flowers on the counter before taking my hoodie off and going to her room.

I softly knocked on the door since she was asleep but Jasmine was up. I ain't never seen nobody get up as fast as Jas did. She said a quick thanks and I heard the bags in the kitchen being looked through.

"Yours is the bag on the right." I told her.

I walked around to Naomi's side of the bed and took a picture of her. Her face swollen as hell and now I can use this to blackmail her in the future. Hehehe.

Before messing with her or waking her up I decided to eat first. "My bad for coming so late. I had to do a post game interview." I said to Jasmine when I came out of the room.

"Okay? The hell you telling me for? I'm not your mom." She said with a mug but I could tell she was just playing.

"You a disrespectful mother lover. How bout I take my food back?" I walked over to where she was sitting then she coughed on her food. "Yeah you got it. I already had covid and I just know you and that hot breath just created another variant."

We talked briefly while I sat at the table eating. I guess our talking woke the princess up because she came out of her room looking exhausted.

Her eyes focused on me and I opened my arms wide with a smile. She stared at me blankly then went to her fridge to put water in her water bottle.

After that she went back into her room. My arms went down and I looked over at Jasmine. All she did was shrug indicating to me, she wasn't getting involved.

I wiped my hands, since I was essentially done eating, and went into her room. She was laying on her side and I got behind wrapping my arms around her.

I kissed her cheek gently then the back of her neck. "I missed you." I told her truthfully.

"Mhm." She mumbled then winced in pain, rubbing at her jaw.

"You got an ice pack?" She pointed at the door of her room. "I'll be back. Are you hungry?" She shook her head.

The whole night I did my best to love on her despite her giving me the cold shoulder....or it could be that she was in pain and tired.

I cuddled with her for as long as I could but I eventually have to leave. We got into town yesterday and tomorrow we fly to L.A. to continue our long string of away games.

The next morning I woke up before she or Jasmine did. I slipped out of her place quietly and got on the plane just in time.

"Where you been?" PJ asked.

"I had to handle something." I said relaxing in my seat.

Jasmine's POV

10:15 am...

I got up still tired when I heard knocking on the front door. I smiled when I saw the kitchen was clean. That was nice of light bright.

I looked through the peephole and saw JT. Ah shit. I know there's nothing between my girl and him but it might be a little awkward with Melo here. Right?

As I was going to look in Naomi's room I saw a note on the counter. It's addressed to her but I know LaMelo isn't here just because he left this.

I kept the note with me and let Jayson in. "I did get you food." He handed me the bag from McDonald's.

This is a perk for having a friend that is friends with men with manners and respect. They come through for your girl...and everyone knows I can eat. It's greatly appreciated.

"Thank you family. I don't know if she's awake. Let me go check." I put the bag down and knocked on her door.

"Hm?" She responded.

"Jayson's here."

She started to sit up. "Where's Melo?"

I shrugged. "He was gone when I got up. He left this for you though." I gave her the note.

She shook her head and put the paper in her drawer beside her bed. "I'm starving."

"What do you want?"

"Ice cream?"

"It's vanilla." She low key groaned. "Mashed potatoes?"

"Please?" I nodded. "Thank you Jas. For everything."

"You know you my bitch and I got you. Period." I blew a kiss at her. "You can go in. Make sure she takes her medicine." I told JT.

"How you feeling little girl?" I heard him say as I was walking away.

He's such a nice guy. I love that she has a friend here with her because I know this move on her was rough.  She was worried about being able to adjust alone but she speaks so highly of JT and the rest of the team, which puts me at ease that she's doing just fine on her own.

Naomi's POV

"I would've brought Deuce but I ain't want you scaring my kid."

"I look that bad?" I haven't looked at my face and I wouldn't dare to.

"I mean you real swole. I can't lie to you like that." He laughed all by himself because I damn sure wasn't. Trying to play me.

"How was the game?" I asked him as he sat with me.

"You didn't watch it?"

"Some of the beginning but I fell asleep. Did we win?"

"Beat they ass. Ya boy dropped 50 on em."

"Love that for us." We did our cheesy handshake that I came up with.

"They missed you though."

"Who? Y'all?"

"Of course we did but I meant Charlotte. They were looking for you. I wasn't sure if you wanted everyone knowing why you were out so I didn't say anything."

"No, it's okay. I got a few text messages asking me where I was. I wish I could have been there."

"I know but we got the win."

"True." I nodded while eating on my mashed potatoes. "So what do you have planned for today?"

"Chillin. We had a team meeting earlier. I came here right after. I have to head out in a bit though. Deuce planned a day for us."

"Did he now? How cute." I smiled at that. I hope me and Melo are like this with our kids.

"Yeah. He told me to tell you hi and that I have until 12:30 to come home. He says we have a busy schedule."

"I bet. Well how about you surprise him and get home a little early."

"Damn you kicking me out? I thought we were cool." He chuckled.

"We are. You know you my dog but I need to get some more rest so I can get back to work."

I'm lying. I need to talk to Melo immediately.

"Okay well you rest up. When you get back to yourself, the team and I are going to take you out." He stood up and headed for the door after patted my shoulder.

I internally laughed because a hug would've been fine but no, a simple pat on the shoulder was his choice.

"I'll be there. Bye buddy." I waved and then he was gone.

No, I can't talk much to really rip into Melo but baby my finger will be on fire after this. It's safe to say I'm upset. Pissed really.

I sent his ass a text the day before he even got into town. I know how his schedule is and I knew he'd be in town for two days. Why didn't you come see me?

Jasmine knocked on my door and sat at the foot of my bed. "I know you're probably upset but I don't think he saw your message and I could tell he felt bad last night." 

I stopped typing and opened my drawer to see the note he wrote. My heart immediately started to best faster.

I read the first line, it being an I love you which is fine. I would've love to hear it last night but him saying he missed me worked too. Despite me being upset with him.

The note was short but the more I kept reading, the more I got angry but sad more than anything. Heartbroken.

I immediately ripped up the paper and threw it in the trash. I'm sad. I'm heartbroken but he doesn't deserve any kind of emotion from me.

I can't keep trying and trying, and get nothing in return. What did I do? I thought I was doing everything right but I guess not. Or the circumstances aren't right I should say.

"What did it say?" Jasmine asked me after I came and sat down with a blank stare on my face. I shook my head. "You wanna talk about it?" I shook my head again.

I don't like where we are but I guess I have to accept it....

Hey Naomi. First I want to say I love you and I'm proud of you. I really don't know how to put this or how to have this talk.

I can't do this. I love you. I do but the distance is making it damn near impossible to be here for you in a way you deserve.

It feels like a one sided relationship and that's not fair to you. I'm not able to meet you in the middle anymore. I want to, I just...can't.

Maybe down the line, we'll come back together but I think we need to take a break. Just for a little while.

————————

A month later....

"Can you put that damn phone down?" Jaylen asked.

"Daniel please." I said in the tone of Santana and looked at the video I took.

That's his new nickname for me. The resemblance between him and the real Daniel from insecure is just too spot on.

We're currently at dinner with a couple more guys after beating Charlotte. Sigh. How does it feel to be single again?

It honestly doesn't feel different. Like I said before it felt very one sided towards the end of our relationship.

No one knows I'm single. As far as they know, I'm still happily in a relationship. I didn't outright tell Jasmine, Melo and I broke up but she got the hint.

As of now, I'm enjoying my time being single. I'm not in a rush to get into another relationship with anybody. I'm still young. I have plenty of time to date and settle down. Let me enjoy these twenty somethings.

"Happy birthday Shortie." JT handed me a card. Oh yeah. It's my birthday too. The big 24.

Money fell out when I opened it then I read it. It was from all of them and all they did was write their names. Men.

"Thanks guys." I kissed my finger tips a couple times and extended it to signal kisses to all of them. In a friendly way.

Ahead of me I saw a group of people coming in and it happened to be Melo and his family along with a couple of guys from their team.

We locked eyes then I broke it. Neither of us have spoken to each other. Maybe he has reached out but I wouldn't know because I blocked him immediately. He didn't have the decency to tell me something like that face to face so he deserved to get blocked.

Jasmine started drinking her drink after noticing what I was looking at. Just being messy but I can't lie, I'd probably do that if I were in her shoes.

"Don't even say anything." I mumbled to her.

She held her hands up after putting her cup down. "How long do I have you for?" She asked, changing the subject.

"We have another day out here tomorrow."

"What time do you leave?"

"We have to be at the airport by 5."

"Hmmm do I hear....kickback?"

"No you don't." I chuckled and took a sip of my drink.

"What? Why not? They just beat them nigga asses. Y'all gotta celebrate."

"We are celebrating." I gestured around the table at everybody eating.

"Let's go to a club. You single now, shake some ass and enjoy your birthday."

"I could do that before Jas. He didn't have a tight leash on me. He wasn't controlling."

Marcus leaned forward to look at me since he was on the other side of Jasmine. "You single shortie?" The others eyes were on me.

I gave Jasmine the look of really nigga. Too damn loud but then again he listening too hard. "You in my business?" I pointed at him.

"It was just a question." He said with a mischievous grin.

I was going to lie and say no but what's the point? "Yes I'm single and not ready to mingle."

Jaylen's face immediately screwed up. "Girl don't nobody want you." He said, which made the whole table laugh including me.

I felt a tap on my shoulder as my laughter died down. I looked up to see Gelo and I immediately got up and hugged him.

I excused myself from the table and went to talk with him somewhere else. "Happy birthday." He said and handed me a card. I shook it close to my ear. "Yes there's money in it."

"Thanks G. How've you been?"

"Good man. Can't complain. How are you though? I know you and Dip aren't together and shit."

I shrugged. "I'm fine I guess. Really focused on having a great first year with Boston. It sucks but I have to respect his feelings."

His eyebrows came together in confusion. "What you mean? Respect his feelings?"

Now I'm confused. "I do because he was honest and said he couldn't continue in our relationship. I would've liked a in person conversation but you know." I shrugged.

"So he broke up with you and sent a text?"

"No, the nigga wrote a note and dipped before I woke up."

Gelo crossed his arms. "Interesting."

"Why is that?"

"We're under the impression that it was a mutual breakup. Or maybe we're confused. He kept saying it just didn't work out between y'all. At least I was thinking you both called it quits."

"Yeah no. He broke up with me. It is what it is though."

He shook his head. "You kids. Come say hey to everybody." He threw his arm around my shoulder.

"No it's going to be awkward."

"It's not. They like you. Come on." He walked beside me to their table. "Look who I found." He made my presence known.

I waved to everyone. "Hi Miss.Tina, Mr.LaVar." I went around and gave everyone a hug. When I got to Melo I placed my hand on top of his head and moved it a little before going back over to Gelo.

It didn't take long for Melo to get up. "You wanna talk real quick?" He asked me.

"Sure." I can be cordial although I'm very salty about the situation.

We stepped to an area with just us. "So how you been?"

"Single." I said sarcastically.

He sighed. "I'm sorry. I should've talked to you about how I was feeling."

"Yeah you should've. I mean I think I deserved a little more than a note especially with how distant you were leading up to it."

"I didn't want to hurt you man. I really didn't. I- I couldn't bring myself to have that conversation in person. I wasn't happy."

My face immediately went sad. "You weren't? Why didn't you tell me?" I don't ever want to be the reason someone isn't happy.

"It wasn't you. It was the circumstances. When you were here I could see you every single day. There wasn't much effort that needed to be done."

"No, there still needed to be effort. It was a relationship."

"You know what I mean."

"All I hear really are excuses. If you wanted to make it work, you would've. I'm not sad. This ain't my first breakup." This is how it went with my first relationship and I'm not going to sit here and relive it.

He remained silent because he knows I'm speaking facts. He never did answer the big question that arose in our relationship. Maybe that's why he broke up with me...

"Is the baby yours?" I asked.

"What baby?" I straight faced him. "Oh you mean- oh yeah no. That's not my kid." He shook his head.

"So it really was the distance and your lack of happiness?" He nodded slightly. "Okay then. Thanks for letting me know. I should get back to my table. Nice talk." I turned to walk away.

"Happy birthday." I heard without turning around. I gave him a thumbs up and sat down in my seat.

It felt awkward when I sat back down. "So LaMelo is the ex." Marcus said and Jaylen threw a napkin at him. "What? That's what we were talking about before she came back."

"Nigga." Jayson said.

I laughed lowly. "It's fine and yes, he is the ex. It's no bad blood though."

I rested my head on my hand and played with the straw resting in my cup. "Movies and wine at my house?" Jasmine leaned over and asked me quietly. I gave her a small smile and nodded.

One thing Jas will do is be there for me no matter what. I don't think I'll ever be able to truly give her everything in the world she deserves but I'll try. She's the best.

———————

Well, well, well. Is anybody mad at me? I gotta ask because my 'that smile' readers used to get on me chile.

I think it was giving a little bit this chapter. Sza and Saweetie? I really wanted Naomi to be thick, thick but sza got body too. Should we keep her?

Thoughts on Melo, Naomi, the relationship, Jayson? Let's chat.

Thanks for reading 💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.7K 873 26
mya x zo ______ sequal
57.7K 1.5K 22
Just read trust me 😏.
867K 15.6K 118
LaMelo Ball Imagines made by a black girl 🤎 This imagines book is completed but there is a second entitled "Lamelo Ball Imagines 2" Completed 04/2022