A Worthy Opponent (HunterxHun...

By Malia_hxh

Raine goes on an adventure to a deadly jungle with mythical beasts to get revenge on a former Spider who dest... More

Intro
Chapter 1: A Sense of Heart (PART I)
Chapter 2: A Funny Feeling
Bonus Scene
Chapter 3: A Magic Duel
Chapter 4: Aftermath
Chapter 5: A Night Out
Chapter 6: How to Instigate
Chapter 7: The Meet Up
Chapter 8: A Coincidence
Chapter 9: A River's Edge
Chapter 10: Forbidden Fruit
Chapter 11: An Evening Flight
Chapter 12: A Fair Game
Chapter 13: Shezun City (PART II)
Chapter 14: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 15: Bloodlust
Chapter 15 Bloodlust pt. 2
Chapter 16: The Jungle Members
Chapter 17: A Night at the Circus
Chapter 18: Showtime
Chapter 19: Showdown
Chapter 20: A Glass Wall
Chapter 21: The Jujib Jungle (PART III)
Chapter 22: Dangerous Secrets
Chapter 23: A Broken Wall
Chapter 24: Red Eyes
Chapter 25: A Cold Shower
Chapter 26: An Animal's Aura
Chapter 27: A Warm Fire
Chapter 28: The Silent Hunter
Chapter 29: A Friendly Encounter
Chapter 30: A New Perspective
Chapter 31: A Spider's Lair
Chapter 32: A Win for a Loss
Chapter 33: The Jujib Village (PART IV)
Chapter 34: A Heist
Chapter 35: An Escape
Chapter 36: A Dead End
Chapter 37: The Warden: Part 1
Chapter 38: The Warden: Part 2
Chapter 39: Riv
Chapter 40: Unleashed Emotions
Chapter 41: A Secret Plan
Chapter 42: A True Enemy
Chapter 43: The Break In
Chapter 44: The Chief
Chapter 45: A Grand Opening
Chapter 46: Sharp Ends
Chapter 47: Surrender it All
Chapter 48: A Thread of Courage
Chapter 50: Take Charge
Chapter 51: Under Pressure
Chapter 52: Let Your Guard Down
Chapter 53: Fear of Unknown
Chapter 54: Learn and Let Go
Chapter 55: An Unfathomed Bond
Chapter 56: Red as the Blood Moon
Author's Note

Chapter 49: Swallow Your Pride

62 7 6
By Malia_hxh

I finished the cup of tea Ahmad had given me. His presence never leaving my side.

"Riv can't hurt you?" Kurapika asked. "But he can still use his animals." His arms were crossed trying to comprehend my approach.

"I'm aware." I picked golden jewels out of my hair as we updated each other. My wounded leg extended out, my subconscious still flowing Nen through it. "But he won't expect me to attack. He's not an aggressive person. At least not by nature."

The men tilted their head unsure where I was going. Hisoka sat in front of me resting his head on his hand, fiddling with his card. A small eye roll at the words 'not an aggressive person'.

"That still won't guarantee he won't attack you. Or give you his blood." Kurapika crouched down, all of us surrounding Bisky.

"His weakness is his animals," I continued. "A subtle approach won't send him on offense once we engage but give me a few minutes before you follow through. If he gives me the blood or not, it'll still be enough to carry out the rest of your plan. So either way, you'll get an opening."

"My chains," Kurapika glanced at his wrist, "will render him into Zetsu form. But he has more advantages than Uvo did. His animals, the moon. They could cause a lot of commotion. And there might be other factors unknown. Are you sure you don't want me to heal you?"

I closed my eyes and breathed in the night sky. The fresh air surged directly from the mountains themselves. A smell that I could only get from this jungle.

Riv's skin was as tough as iron. The gem imbedded in his chest. They could do more than I could with their strength versus mine.

"I have enough power to get by from the moon. And even more as it nears the Blood Moon. I would never fall behind when I have a job to do. Bisky needs us. I'll take care of her while you guys go for the gem. I can't be near him anyways once it reaches midnight. Keep your energy full."

There was a blue hue in the sky. The type I would kill to run in the forest with no one but dad. The moonlight above won't turn red until it reached its peak. We still had over an hour to invade. I knew Riv inside and out. I mind as well ask him for blood since I can't take it by force.

"Raine..." Ahmad reached for my forearm with a touch so warm. I thought he was going to tell me to take a break. I thought he would insist on me healing. But all I heard was, "Thank you."

I slowly faced him confused. "For what?"

"For never giving up." His eyes roamed my body. His arm sent subtle vibrations through my skin. My heart thumped at his nervousness for me and yet...he trusted me. Before I could say say something I noticed a small twine wrap around my finger. The tiniest flower I had ever seen glowed at the tip. My body suddenly found the strength to send heat to my cheeks.

He thinks I'm strong...

I bit my lip and flushed. "Why wouldn't I? I remember Kurapika broke his arm but that still never held him back from killing Uvo. And Hisoka casually severed both of his in Heaven's Arena to prove a point. A broken leg...please. I still have three more limbs." I wiggled my fingers.

Hisoka chuckled. "Now how did you find that out?~" Kurapika gave a light smile. Ahmad darted his eyes between us in shock.

"Gon told me." I squinted at him, remembering the unsettling shivers the two boys had just mentioning his name. Hisoka covered his smile with a card, shrugging.

I looked towards the edge of the roof anticipating Benny's presence. And sure enough, he came floating over with a low howl. Ahmad told me he was going to guard Bisky and the encased animals they already captured while we carried out the plan.

I 'patted' his head, glad another familiar face was near. "Riv is there isn't he..." I asked him. Our eyes met each other's in understanding. Benny responded with a short wag of his tail.

I took a deep breath and stood up, feeling eyes on me as I stood on my broken leg. Habitually suppressing the pain. I took off the white layered robe, leaving a black one underneath. A red sash still snatched my waist, strands of gold ribbon tied with it. I bent down and placed my white robe over Bisky's cradled body.

I was in charge of her. And I liked the idea of saving her than killing Riv or his animals.

My throat still scratched with every word I spoke. My teeth were sore from gritting them. A heavy weight rested on my eyelids. I knew I was quieter than usual, but Riv was going to end tonight. All my strength would be needed. And no matter what, I would help my friends finish him at all cost.

No matter the auras I heard. No matter how tired I felt. No matter the deaths...

My heart suddenly blazed like a heated lamp. Someone placed their hand on my shoulder. And with the other, they held my hand. Ahmad. I let out a breath. The other two came closer but there was no pity scrounging their faces, only a firm smirk. None of these people looked down on me, as if I was weak, even though deep down I did feel that way. And none of them were who I thought I'd be embracing on the regular when I first met them. But now I pulled them close once more, and squeezed them as if it was the last time I'd be here. The most warmth I had ever felt. The most comfort.

We'll all leave this place alive...I'll protect all of them.

-

Riv stared at the brick stone unblinking. He dropped the sharp rock, finished engraving Rio's name and picked up the stone. Sweat dripped from his head. His hair falling over his eyes.

Rio...I'm sorry. I appreciated your time.

Yet this ritual only replayed as the same event from years ago. When his friends became nothing but bones...one by one...from cruel, cruel people.

He turned away, continuing to monitor his animals. As he walked up the steps from the dungeon, he clicked his fingers back and forth. The small cracks releasing tension each time. He let out a breath reaching the door, the stone carried under his arms. The rushing waterfall could be heard just outside.

Payak, the moment they leave, you may proceed. Aariv needs you.

Riv opened the door, the beautiful wall of crystal water surging down before him. His eyes flattened, reviewing his thoughts. He knew everyone's power. Everyone's Nen. How to counter each one. His escape ready. But there was one factor he couldn't balance.

He wiped his face.

I can't disarm her anymore, but Raine can't kill me. Her condition is too severe. Payak should detain her just fine again with her webs if anything happens.

Chills ran up his spine from her sudden outburst. He glanced at his taped forearm. A heed to start his plan sooner. His mind going back and forth.

Yet she needs to be near me when the time hits. I can't hide forever. Take them out, knock her out. She doesn't even have to be conscious. Eyes as strong as the gem I endure. Lua needs to be waken up too.

You'll all be turned to animals. You'll all learn to be at peace.

Riv gazed at the waterfall, walking towards the edge. The village was in pieces. He was ready to be free again. He placed Rio's stone into the waterfall and let it go. Watching the currents pummel it down into the earth. His arms resumed behind his back, pressing against each knuckle until it numbed again. He turned around.

Now...to get rid of--

His eyes widened. The whispering trees towered before him. Above the hill of his hidden entrance. A good distance from the village and yet, he was met with a startling pair of glowing blue eyes that pierced him within the shadows. Raine stood in the middle of the path. Her eyes solemn but her stance strong.

Riv narrowed his eyes.

She is either a reckless idiot or an actual obstacle. But how did she get here?

His fist clenched walking over the hill, the edge of the jungle trees. His eyes scanned her legs. Raine stepped forward and his eyes shot back up to her gaze. Careful not to dismiss any details.

"It would be foolish of you if you came alone," he said. Her black robe swayed with the cool winds, her hair untamed again.

"You won't do anything," she said. Her voice adamant.

His eyes again drew down to her legs. "You're healed."

This changes things...she could attack me all she wants. I need my animals now. I need my strength for later.

She stepped closer again. Her hands resting by her sides. No weapons. No fists. "I am not. I can hardly walk."

He stifled a gasp.

What? Then she should be sitting in a room. She should be huddling in a corner in fear. Anger. Her body was mangled. She was terrified of me, I felt it.

He scoffed cocking his head from side-to-side. "A heavy risk might I add."

This has to be some sort of distraction...Payak, find their bodies.

"I like to take risks," she took another step forward, pressing her hand against her chest, "so I've come to ask for your blood."

He paused.

This woman can't be serious. Someone else could take it by force. I'm an enemy to all Hunters. To all people who set foot in this jungle.

"Come again?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Your blood."

He trudged toward her as well, his steps silent, his stare pressuring her into ridding all jokes. A shadow loomed over her small figure as he held his position resolute, just a foot away. His voice lowered, sharp and determined. "You are in no position to ask me for anything. You are wasting my time. I could have you knocked out by a goat."

"Then why don't you?" She didn't shrivel away like their first encounter either.

Riv studied her for a moment. He did take a toll on her. Her body was most definitely in pain. As if the slightest dust of wind would blow her away. Her arms shaking. Her bruises as vivid as black chalk. But her leg was constantly shuffling with Nen, swaying around to heal itself. It streamed heavier...faster as he came near. A powerful battery continued to charge within in her.

"Riv," she said softly yet roughly snapping his attention.

Something knotted in his stomach. His mind was absent of reason, not comprehending who this woman really was. In disagreements, in conflict within the public, the General, the villagers, the Hunters, the outside world...one could never speak with a tone like that to an opponent. To someone who physically broke her.

He shot her request down. "No--

"I want to save my friend. Let me wake up Lua," she continued.

This time. He willingly broke character. His heart startled. "How do you know her name?" He leaned down.

Her face remained unfeigned. "You had your chance to question me..." Then her gaze slowly fell to his forearm. The white tape wrapped around his skin. It was all he needed to heal, even if it was broken. "My friends will kill Lua if you don't. They'll do whatever it takes to save my friend. Would you do the same for yours?"

He clenched his teeth.

Of course I would....but I would never. In my life. Save a Hunter.

Not when they kill just because they have a license. That they can just pick and choose who to save.

Wait a second...this is giving me time. Talking to her. For Payak to free the other two. But her friends must be near.

Riv sliced a thin cut on his arm then picked up a small leaf, no bigger than his thumb. He swabbed just a drop of blood before holding it firmly in front of her face.

Even when she frees Lua or finds her, I'll have her sing before she ingests it. Raine will fall asleep before she could wake her friend...and I've seen just how powerful that one is.

"Now...answer my questions and I'll give it to you," he said. "Truthfully. I can always tell a lie."

Raine glanced at the leaf then back to him and nodded. "You get no more than three."

Riv resumed predatory eyes. "How do you know her name?"

Raine closed her eyes pondering. An eerie silence crept between them as he anticipated her answer. When she opened them, there was a hidden glow, maybe from his gem, but then her eyes strangely sunk into a defeated guilt. She looked away.

"I've developed a power to see a person's entire past. Every event starting from the present. I saw yours. I know everything about you."

The Eyes are that powerful...

Riv forced himself to keep still though his twitching eye kept poking at him. His head rattled even more and yet...there was no attack from her. No other presence around. Did she really come alone to ask for blood?

His eyes quickly scanned through Payak. The spider hadn't found the other two yet.

"Go on," Raine said crossing her arms.

Usually he kept a well hidden expression. But he would do well to remember not to underestimate the Eyes.

"I don't understand," his voice smoothed yet trickled towards annoyance. He stood taller, his eyes blooming red. "Your face," he spat. "If you truly saw my past, you wouldn't be against me. You would understand. So I ask why you stand there prompting me to go against what I believe in, without a face revolting towards Hunters?"

She sharply swiped the air with her arm. Dismissing him. "I do understand. I understand that you made a choice to do even more horrible things! And for that you ruined others lives. Others who didn't deserve it." She leaned closer to him, a deep blue shield radiating from her skin. Her finger pointed at his in a scolding position. "You didn't need to go this far. You think everyone is like them but they're not. You could have avoided all of this if you handled your shit better!"

Her brown hair billowed soundlessly in the wind. Her eyes surging power through him, amounting to the thunderous energy ahead. He also felt an intense need to argue. To disagree.

"I could have," he said.

No- I didn't want to say that.

He glared at her, at his words before collecting himself. Straightening his robe. "I can't start over now. I'd rather join my brother in hell than stop because I know for a fact he never gave into the enemy." He patted his hair, stuffing the strands back in place. With the ceremony now over, the people out of his way, he was actually one step away from success. Just six Hunters before him. Even the Warden couldn't fault him now. "I'd rather live in peace with animals by my side."

She let out an annoyed huff. "You could have just done that," she whispered. "Live in isolation with your friends. You don't need those hurtful people around you. You could have let it go..." Her voice lowered at the last line, barely audible if not for their closeness.

He scoffed again at the ridiculous sentiment.

Let it go?! What the hell is she thinking. No one could let go that easily. Everyone holds grudges and lives with them. If someone ruined your life forever, how could one simply move on and--

There was a sudden pounding in his chest to open his eyes. As if someone poured a bucket of ice on him. Shaking him awake. Riv's lips tightened into a sincere gaze. Comprehension piecing his thoughts together. He took in the Moon's Gift. The perfect gift to give a village.

"Then I ask you this last question..."

Her eyes immediately saddened. Riv's voice deepened, yet tinged on edge to hear her answer.

"...how do you not look at me with hatred and malice?"

Raine bit her lip turning away. Wincing as if he had struck her gut. "It's...my weakness." Then she swiped the leaf from his hand quicker than he could blink.

Riv grabbed her forearm. She paused, shivering under his grasps.

She's still scared.

"Give me more," he said attempting to keep her still but she reclaimed her arm, retreating a few meters away.

"Like I said before..." A vine swooped down beside her. Her jaded eyes giving him one last look of shame. "...it's because I understand." It intertwined around her arm then hauled her up, vanishing into the trees. He gritted his teeth stepping a foot out but froze.

"What."

He couldn't move. His body restrained. He darted his eyes through the trees. Branches shaking, leaves falling.

"Don't bother. I'll be quick in taking the gem," said a familiar voice.

"Kurapika." Riv tensed his muscles, chains revealing themselves around his body.

That was a distraction. I'll kill them all.

Kurapika appeared before him and jabbed his gut faster than he could process, sending him to his back from the impact. The air knocked out of him. Riv stared blankly to the sky stunned at his strength. His muscles numb. His aura gone. A deadly opponent.

"I'm surpised..." Kurapika cooed. "That was enough to make Uvogin cough up blood."

Riv clenched his teeth feeling sharp cuts poke at his neck. Was someone throwing projectiles? Kurapika stood over him, his foot on his stomach. But Riv's mind remained occupied, as this was merely a shit show.

Kurapika's hand reeled back, his eyes glowing a scarlet red. It rushed down, slamming into his gem. But he gasped. "How is that..." His hand was crushed at the impact.

Riv couldn't suppress his smile any longer as his attention drew back to his attacker. The gem's power surrounding his body like a barrier. "You didn't think you could just take the gem now did you? It's permanently attached until midnight. You'd have to kill me to take it off." Riv lifted his chin. "And if you happen to make a scratch on me, I'll be sure let you get a taste of my blood."

Kurapika grabbed his robe and yanked him closer, "You underestimate my ability, I haven't even started. Your death will be as simple as breaking a condition. Judgmental chain--

A sudden roar shook the the earth. Kurapika covered his ears at the shrills of uncanny animals. The chaos pressuring him to step off of Riv..

"Someone's awake," said Riv with a sly grin.

*Craaaack*

*Screeech*

Trees fell, the leaves shook more wildly than before. One by one, the sounds of different animals erupted through the air. Birds filled the skies. Critters clicked within the branches, red eyes pinning him. Pinning all of them.

Kurapika fell back. Ahmad and Hisoka appearing beside him, predators chasing them out of the woods.

It was all but too late. Aariv was awake and every animal in the Jujib Jungle was after them.

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.7K 1.6K 40
"I envy you, Hisoka." The magician's eyes widened in shock. "I envy you so much. You get to go around and be with whoever you want, while I'm stuck h...
275K 7.5K 51
You, Y/n are Leorio's twin sister (non identical) and you take the hunter exam to reunite with your older brother! Seems wholesome, right? That's unt...
6.3K 131 14
(U) is depressed, and grieving after her entire clan is slaughtered -aside from her brother who she has no idea we're he is- but that's not the worst...
755K 21.6K 50
♡1ST in Hunter X Hunter Wattys |Hisoka|♡ During a heist of the Hanuka mansion, the Phantom Troupe finds a girl with no memories. She knows n...