The Way Back (Champions of th...

By AnnaIdanBerg

Nine years have passed on Earth since Sabrina and Scotty Devon returned from Praxatillus. A surprise visitor... More

Chapter 1: Out of Time
Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 1.3
Chapter 2: Lost and Found
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 3: Journey to the Past
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 4: Reunion
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 4.3
Chapter 5: Pygmalion
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 5.2
Chapter 5.3
Chapter 6: Buried Secrets
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 6.3
Chapter 7: Cave of Terrors
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 8: Memories
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 8.3
Chapter 9: Victory's Sacrifice
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 10: Going Home
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 10.4
Chapter 11: Praxatillus
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 11.3
Chapter 12: Promises Redeemed
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 12.3
Chapter 12.4
Chapter 13: A Family Affair
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 13.3
Chapter13.4
Chapter 14: Heart's Journey
Chapter 14.1
Chapter 14.2
Chapter 14.3
Chapter 14.4
Chapter 14.5
Chapter 14.6
Chapter 14.7
Chapter 15: Going On
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 15.2
Chapter 15.3
Chapter 16: Uncharted Territory
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 16.3
Chapter 16.4
Chapter 16.5
Chapter 17: Storming the Gates
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 17.3
Chapter 18: Memory
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 19: The Choice
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 19.2
Chapter 19.3
Chapter 20: Resolution
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 20.2
Chapter 20.3
Chapter 20.4
Chapter 20.5

Chapter 16.1

6 3 1
By AnnaIdanBerg

Therenden's smile as he greeted Sabrina the next day was open and welcoming, but his eyes were shaded with concern. "How are you today?" he asked. "I haven't seen you since before Tassan Nikolar's funeral. I meant to call, but—"

"I know you're very busy. I mean, chairing one of the Miahn Councils can't be a picnic," Sabrina said.

"I'm so very sorry for your loss."

"Thank you. I just...I just hope it's the last one for a while," she sighed.

Therenden nodded. "Your brother is making progress, at least. Or they would not have sent for Prince Niavar."

Startled, Sabrina asked, "How did you know that?"

"The Council of Trême is very interested in this matter, as you might guess," he said wryly.

She sighed. "I can't get used to the idea of you as part of the Council of Trême."

"That," Therenden replied with a smile, "is because you're used to viewing that group as your opponents. I wish you would rid yourself of the idea. You have many allies there."

Sabrina tried to remember the chairs of the other Miahn councils, who made up the Council of Trême, but couldn't. It didn't seem relevant to her current position. Whatever that was.

The conversation turned to mutual acquaintances and court-related anecdotes while they ate. They had chosen to dine in the Ministry refectory, where many employees ate since it was so convenient to their offices. Sabrina found it interesting and somehow comforting to be around so many busy, focused people. It was a little like being back in the Senate, she thought. Except that there she would not have been the focus of so many curious looks and whispered conversations.

If Therenden noticed the attention they were getting, he didn't show it. As they were finished, he saw the little frown line between her eyebrows and asked, "Is something wrong?"

"I'm just not used to getting so much attention," she said, gesturing to the room around them. "I hope they'll all get used to seeing me soon. I don't like being so conspicuous."

He smiled. "I'm sure they'll adjust. As will you. You are, whether you like it or not, a public figure."

"I don't have to be," Sabrina said. "I could retire to Fibräaé and become a hermit."

"I think you would be bored," Therenden said. "Much better to stay here with your friends."

"I suppose you're right. Anyway, if I'm going to hang around with Ford, I guess I have to get used to it."

Therenden laughed softly. "Indeed. Few people receive the public scrutiny he does. He seems to have caught the public's imagination, for good or for bad. And anyone he associates with is also drawn into it. Especially if they are unmarried women. The people of Bathir have been clamoring for him to begin a new dynasty for them for years."

Sabrina tried to suppress a frown of annoyance. "I'm his cousin, for heaven's sake! And why does everyone feel compelled to warn me about Ford? He's not nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be!"

"I'm not warning you about him," Therenden said. "As far as I can tell, he's not any worse than anyone else. He was put in a difficult position when he was too young to know how to handle himself, and he's suffered for it ever since. Unfairly, I think."

"Yes," Sabrina said, "and now he's trying to redeem himself by doing something noble and stupid! What good will it do him? It's all classified anyway!"

"I don't know," Therenden said. "Don't worry about him too much, Sabrina. All possible precautions are being taken."

"I know. But I can't help it. He's been so good to me, Therenden. I miss him."

Therenden smiled. "I would guess that you find in him a sort of kindred spirit. You never felt you really belonged among us, did you, Sabrina?"

"I don't know if I ever will," she sighed.

"Well, it will be our task to see that you do, someday." Therenden paused, frowning, as his pocket emitted a small bleep. He withdrew a comlink. "Please excuse me; it must be important."

"Of course." Sabrina turned away and surveyed the cafeteria, keeping a smile pasted on her face as she encountered curious stares and hastily averted eyes. She was glad to be able to face Therenden again as he pocketed the comlink. He was smiling.

"Her Majesty's ship is moving into orbit. Would you like to be among the greeting party?"

"Yes!"

——————————

Sabrina realized all over again while standing in the formal Reception Room that she had not even begun to experience Praxatillus in its traditional glory. The war damage and ensuing poverty she had seen on her previous visits and during her residence had vanished, and the pageantry she'd glimpsed in history vids was in full force. This wasn't a ceremonial occasion, but it was an official one, and even though no one had had time to change clothes, everyone had a distinctly formal air. She felt out of place among the distinguished members of the Council of Ministers and Council of Trême, who had all been summoned to witness Mara's return.

Lost in her reflections, Sabrina was taken aback to realize that everyone around her was making obeisance. She hurriedly dropped into a curtsey, feeling awkward doing it in slacks, and realized that Mara had actually walked into the room, followed by Aurora, instead of just appearing suddenly. That had to be part of the tradition, she supposed, or Mara wouldn't have wasted time on it.

Rassir had stepped forward and spoken a greeting in what Sabrina recognized as High Praxatillian, followed by Imari. Mara responded in kind; then a bright smile swept away her somber expression. "I'm very glad to be home," she said, in the normal speech Sabrina could understand. "Thank you all for interrupting your busy day to be here."

This seemed to be a dismissal, for everyone began dispersing. Sabrina hesitated, unsure whether she ought to follow Therenden, until Mara called out, "Sabrina! I'm pleased you're here. Walk with me; we can talk a bit before my household pounces on me."

Sabrina's smile was sympathetic. "You'll be incredibly busy catching up for quite a while, won't you?"

"I think this is the longest I have been away since the Regency," Mara nodded. "Aurora, I know you're anxious to see your parents; please take some leave if you wish."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. Lady Sabrina, I am glad to see you again, and I hope to talk with you later," Aurora said, nodding and then gracefully making her way out of the room.

Sabrina smiled and nodded in reply, then walked over to Mara, hesitating. Mara smiled, as if amused, and hugged her firmly. The top of her head still didn't come above Sabrina's shoulder; maybe it was her petite size, Sabrina thought, that made it so easy to think of her as a child still. But that would be a mistake, one that she must be careful to avoid.

"Now then," Mara said, leading Sabrina to the opposite door, "tell me how you are. Niavar was very full of instructions about looking after you. It made me fear you must be on the verge of a decline!"

Beneath the light tone, Sabrina could discern real worry. "I'm fine. Ford still thinks I'm the nervous wreck I was when we got here. Don't let him worry you."

Mara cast a swift, sharp glance at her friend, but she seemed satisfied with what she saw. "I'm pleased to find you coping so well. I did worry about you being left here. I know that Tirqwin did too; the last message he sent me said he would try to persuade the scientists to wait to summon Niavar until I could get home."

"I don't need a babysitter, Mara. I've been catching up with old friends and learning my way around. Just catching up on the ninety-two years I missed is filling up my time!"

Mara bit her lip. "I should explain to you why your absence was so long. It was never that you were not wanted, or needed."

"You kept me in reserve for emergencies. I understand. It's kind of flattering, in a way," Sabrina said. "I wish I hadn't missed so much, but...I think I've come to terms with it." Except Tassan. That will take time. A lot of time.

Mara looked skeptical, but she only said, "Good. I assume you've met all my children by now?"

"Nearly. There are a few I haven't managed to cross paths with yet. Notably the perfect one. I can't remember his name, but I suspect Ford was avoiding him on purpose."

"Yirdahn," Mara said, with something between a laugh and a sigh. "He isn't really perfect, you know. Though I must admit he seems close. All his siblings resent that on some level. Niavar more than most, but only, I think, because he holds himself to such a high standard."

"I don't think he holds himself to anything higher than what people seem to expect of him," Sabrina said, puzzled. "I don't understand how people can expect so much out of him. It's no wonder he gets frustrated."

Mara smiled at her friend. "As usual, you see things from a very different perspective, Sabrina. Very few people see Niavar for what he is, I'm afraid. They see the Prince of Bathir. You have to admit, the expectations for that are quite different." She shook her head. "I knew that when you finally met him, you would be the one person to brush aside all the gossip, all the mistakes, and embrace him simply for what he is."

"Your son, and Tirqwin's," Sabrina guessed.

"Not even that. Just himself."

Sabrina shook her head. "I try. But I do have expectations of him, subconscious ones that I have to try to avoid. He is your son and Tirqwin's. He also has Rayland's eyes. I trusted him instantly—well, almost instantly—just on the strength of that. It's a little frightening, really. I could have gotten into real trouble if he'd turned out to be anything less than what he is."

Mara chuckled. "You're not the first person he's charmed on sight, Sabrina."

"It's not even that." Sabrina shrugged, giving up on trying to explain. "But there's a depth of kindness in him that I never expected, and never expected to need."

"I'm glad he was able to do you some good. I think it's done him some as well. Niavar is one of the most focused people I know," Mara mused. "I expected him, when we met this last time, to be full of Homeworld and what awaits him there. But a good portion of his attention was still back here with you. I was surprised. But it will do him good to think of someone besides himself."

"He frequently thinks about other people!" Sabrina protested. "Like Marie. He wants to put her in school with some other children. And I think he's right. She's bored senseless with those tutors, and Malick encourages her to get into mischief. She's bright and charming and she'll be ruined if something isn't done to direct her energy into useful channels."

Mara chuckled, and Sabrina demanded, "What?"

"Shall I appoint you royal governess, Sabrina? You would be good at it."

"You were enough for one lifetime, thanks!"

"Well, I shall consider your advice about Marie. I had noticed before I left that she seemed...less restrained than usual. Restless. I had hoped it was merely a phase."

"It's not my advice—well, it is, but Ford came up with it first. You ought to give him credit for it."

"I do, and I will," Mara assured her, her violet eyes twinkling. "You really have taken up Niavar's cause, haven't you? He doesn't really need a defender, you know."

"Yes he does," Sabrina replied. "Sometimes he even needs someone to defend him to himself."

They had reached Mara's apartments, and paused outside the main doors. "I hope we can catch up thoroughly later," Mara said. "All we have talked about is my son."

"I miss him," Sabrina explained. Then she shrugged. "I'll be around, if you suddenly get some free time. Otherwise, I'll see you when things calm down?"

"Certainly," Mara said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 2.1K 16
This is the second novel in the Klithian Chronicles. Before this series is the Folician Chronicles. All the new human's are starting to settle in on...
108 8 15
After humanity almost destroyed its own planet, Earth, people decided that it may be better to let her recover and move somewhere else. Scientists ha...
3.2K 142 35
2 people from the world of genetics meet 3 people from the world of archeology in an extremely tensed situation. What happens if they have to stop a...
900 233 115
On medical leave due to the genetic changes begun by an ancient plan embedded in the Great Crystal, Sabrina Devon and her fiancé negotiate not only t...