The Way Back (Champions of th...

AnnaIdanBerg tarafından

Nine years have passed on Earth since Sabrina and Scotty Devon returned from Praxatillus. A surprise visitor... Daha Fazla

Chapter 1: Out of Time
Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 1.3
Chapter 2: Lost and Found
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 3: Journey to the Past
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 4: Reunion
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 4.3
Chapter 5: Pygmalion
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 5.2
Chapter 5.3
Chapter 6: Buried Secrets
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 6.3
Chapter 7: Cave of Terrors
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 8: Memories
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 8.3
Chapter 9: Victory's Sacrifice
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 10: Going Home
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 10.4
Chapter 11: Praxatillus
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 11.3
Chapter 12: Promises Redeemed
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 12.3
Chapter 12.4
Chapter 13: A Family Affair
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 13.3
Chapter13.4
Chapter 14: Heart's Journey
Chapter 14.1
Chapter 14.2
Chapter 14.3
Chapter 14.4
Chapter 14.5
Chapter 14.6
Chapter 14.7
Chapter 15: Going On
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 15.3
Chapter 16: Uncharted Territory
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 16.3
Chapter 16.4
Chapter 16.5
Chapter 17: Storming the Gates
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 17.3
Chapter 18: Memory
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 19: The Choice
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 19.2
Chapter 19.3
Chapter 20: Resolution
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 20.2
Chapter 20.3
Chapter 20.4
Chapter 20.5

Chapter 15.2

8 3 3
AnnaIdanBerg tarafından

The next day passed much like the previous one; Sabrina kept busy receiving visitors and gradually adjusting to the rhythm of her new life. She met with some decorators Therenden recommended and discovered that contemplating a major renovation of her apartments was an excellent way to keep her mind off other things. She also learned to program her comconsole to scan for and record reports about certain subjects, and thus, when she sat down to read that evening, she was able to watch a news vid of the state dinner Ford was hosting for the Telurian delegation at Bathir. She studied Yvalla curiously and was quickly able to see that the Telurians had indeed made a play for Ford's weaknesses. The biography she'd been reading had obviously been sensationalized, she knew, but she had noticed some things in common among the women he'd been linked with: they were all glamorous, intelligent, and independent. No bimbos, Sabrina reflected with approval.

Yvalla appeared to fit those criteria perfectly. According to the vid narrative, she was a rare golden-skinned Telurian; her hair was white except for golden highlights that Sabrina suspected might be artificially added. She wore a form-fitting gown in royal blue that covered but in no way concealed her figure. Since gold and royal blue were the colors of Bathir, her appearance made a definite statement. The way she looked at Ford made another, more ambiguous, statement.

Sabrina shook her head in sympathy for her cousin and wondered, listening to the narrator's sly hints, what it would have been like to be the one on Ford's arm, the subject of all this speculation and comment. On the whole, she was happy to have avoided it. She had too many other things to be worried about.

She doubted he would call that night; he would be occupied with the ongoing negotiations and their attendant social requirements. She was tempted to call and tease him just a little about Yvalla, but that seemed like bad form after all his concern and care for her. Though, she thought with a smile, it was exactly what a little sister would do. She wondered if Mira had perhaps done so already. Marie was too young to pay attention to that sort of thing, but in a few years she would undoubtedly join the sibling chorus of comment on Ford's various relationships. Sabrina had already heard most of the siblings' opinions on Yvalla at dinner, which Mira had attended, fleeing Bathir before she could get drafted into any official occasions. Lira had remained behind to play hostess for her brother.

The comconsole chimed just as she was seriously considering going to bed, and she tried to stifle her sudden hope that it would be Ford. It could easily be any number of other people, she told herself firmly as she answered it. "Yes?"

"So, what's the verdict, Cousin? I've heard the siblings' point of view—oh, and also Aunt Imari's—relayed through my darling sister Mira," Ford announced, his tone conveying that at the moment he considered Mira anything but darling. "You seem to have been strangely quiet at dinner. I can't imagine Mira editing anything out for my benefit!"

Sabrina smiled and shook her head. "I ventured no opinion, not having seen Yvalla then. I saw the vid when I got back from dinner."

"Well?"

She shook her head. "You can't expect me to have formed an opinion just from a vid! I haven't even heard the sound of her voice yet."

"She sounds just like she looks," Ford said. "Nothing subtle about Yvalla. What you see is what you get."

"Dear me. Well, I'd think you could deal with such a straightforward personality."

"The word you were looking for, dear Cousin, is predatory."

"You can't tell me you haven't dealt with her kind before."

"Yes. Usually badly."

"Well, practice makes perfect."

"That's not helpful," he grumbled. "I thought you would cheer me up. So far you're only making me feel worse!"

"Poor Ford," Sabrina said, with genuine sympathy. "I'm sorry. If it will make you any happier, I thought you looked very grand tonight. I'm sure if I'd been there I would have been in awe of you."

He grinned. "Not you! You would have straightened my sash and told me to stand up straight and mind my language!"

"Now, would a proper little sister do such a thing?" she smiled.

"Lira did!"

Sabrina laughed. "Did she? Well, you should be grateful she was there instead of Mira. I can only imagine what she would have said to you!"

"I am profoundly grateful that Mira chose not to grace us with her presence this evening, believe me," Ford said.

"We enjoyed her commentary on the dinner preparations," Sabrina said. "Oh, and I'm afraid you have to quit ragging on her to me—I'm indebted to her."

"Oh?" Ford's expression wavered between curiosity and concern.

"Yes. She's offered to let me stay in her rooms while mine are being redecorated. I met with the decorators today. You won't recognize these rooms when I'm done."

"Another relic of childhood lost forever," he sighed dramatically. Then he grinned. "I'm glad you're settling in. I can't wait to see it."

"How much longer do you think you'll be?"

"A few more days at least. I'm still holding onto my reason." Ford shrugged.

"Good for you." Sabrina jumped a little as her comconsole chimed.

"You have another call," Ford said. "Get rid of them."

"It might be one of your parents," Sabrina replied. "Hang on." She muted the call, then opened a second channel. The screen split to show both calls, but the second call screen remained blank. "Yes?" Sabrina said, frowning as she wondered what she'd done wrong.

"Control here, Lady Sabrina. We have an incoming transmission from Her Majesty."

"Put it through, please," Sabrina said. Then she reactivated the channel to Ford. "Ford, it's your mother. I have to go."

"Give her my love. And be sure to call me if there's news!"

"I will. Good night, Ford."

"Sleep well, Cousin." He cut the connection, and a moment later the screen displayed Mara's face.

"Sabrina! How are you? You look well enough."

"I'm fine. Everybody's taking excellent care of me. How are you? When are you coming home?"

"Soon, I hope." Mara sighed, looking exasperated. "Nothing is ever as simple as I think it ought to be, of course. Thank you for forwarding Tirqwin's message. I enjoyed the sound of his voice. I miss it inexpressibly."

"I know. I'm sorry. I was just talking to Ford," Sabrina said, in an effort to steer the conversation into more cheerful channels. "He's down at Bathir negotiating with the Telurians."

"Oh dear," Mara said.

"Don't worry, he's holding his own," Sabrina smiled. "He calls me every night to complain about it."

Mara gave a silvery little laugh. "That sounds like him. But I am glad he has you to complain to. That is partly why I called."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Rassir told me why you felt you couldn't accompany him, and that you refused his suggestion of re-swearing your oath to a proxy. I just wanted to tell you, Sabrina, that I would be in no way offended if you chose to do so. I know Niavar would love to have you at Bathir, and I think it might be good for you to go."

"To save him from Yvalla? Oh Mara, I think he'd perfectly capable of handling that. I just don't think he's ever seen a reason to exert himself to resist before."

"I meant for your sake," Mara said.

"Oh, I'm fine. I'm redecorating, and everybody keeps me so busy I don't have time to sit and worry."

"Good. Well, if you change your mind, you have my blessing," Mara assured her. "And be sure to let me know when you hear from Tirqwin again, though I hope to be home before that."

"I will, don't worry," Sabrina promised.

"Miah's blessing on you, my Cousin," Mara said, smiling fondly.

"And on you, Cousin," Sabrina replied.

The screen went dark. Sabrina got up, smiled, and shook her head as she left the study.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

1.1K 126 124
Sabrina Devon and her husband Ford are on their way home after five years spent as the first Praxatillian ambassadors to Homeworld, anticipating the...
292 0 11
1 year after the events of the first story, Stella Harris finally begins her senior year of college. She and her extraterrestrial lover Caden Ezekiel...
2.7K 161 33
|18X FEATURED · WORKING ON OFFLINE| Daniel Matton wasn't ready for an adventure, not until 3023 sent him into space on a journey to prehistoric times...
649 40 14
Originally just two average girls from America. But when a family holiday turns into a tragedy, with two dead, two missing and one scared half to dea...