The Way Back (Champions of th...

By AnnaIdanBerg

Nine years have passed on Earth since Sabrina and Scotty Devon returned from Praxatillus. A surprise visitor... More

Chapter 1: Out of Time
Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 1.3
Chapter 2: Lost and Found
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 3: Journey to the Past
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 4: Reunion
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 4.3
Chapter 5: Pygmalion
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 5.2
Chapter 5.3
Chapter 6: Buried Secrets
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 6.3
Chapter 7: Cave of Terrors
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 8: Memories
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 8.3
Chapter 9: Victory's Sacrifice
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 10: Going Home
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.4
Chapter 11: Praxatillus
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 11.3
Chapter 12: Promises Redeemed
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 12.3
Chapter 12.4
Chapter 13: A Family Affair
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 13.3
Chapter13.4
Chapter 14: Heart's Journey
Chapter 14.1
Chapter 14.2
Chapter 14.3
Chapter 14.4
Chapter 14.5
Chapter 14.6
Chapter 14.7
Chapter 15: Going On
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 15.2
Chapter 15.3
Chapter 16: Uncharted Territory
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 16.3
Chapter 16.4
Chapter 16.5
Chapter 17: Storming the Gates
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 17.3
Chapter 18: Memory
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 19: The Choice
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 19.2
Chapter 19.3
Chapter 20: Resolution
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 20.2
Chapter 20.3
Chapter 20.4
Chapter 20.5

Chapter 10.3

9 4 0
By AnnaIdanBerg

The conference room was a surprisingly luxurious one, Sabrina thought. She had imagined it would be utilitarian, but obviously this wasn't the first high-level meeting it had contained. There was an elegant, light lunch on the table, and Aurora, Asnefer, and someone she didn't recognize were gazing at it rather wistfully.

"I am sorry we are late," Mara said cheerfully as they entered. "Please go ahead and help yourselves; I do not intend to stand upon protocol. My son will be joining us in a moment, but he will simply have to take the leavings." She grinned at Sabrina and went to pick up a plate. Asnefer paused only to nod a greeting at Sabrina before joining her.

"Sabrina, welcome," Aurora said, drawing her over to where the other member of the conference sat. "I would like to introduce Toren. He is one of the operatives from Homeworld, and a great help to Scotty and myself in our escape. Toren, this is Lady Sabrina, Scotty's sister."

Sabrina wasn't sure whether to smile or weep at the identification. She put her hand out, and Toren shook it firmly, saying, "I'm honored. Your brother saved my life, I think. You should be proud of him."

"I am," she replied, blinking back tears. "I hope to be able to tell him so."

"Yes, I heard he was gravely hurt. I am sorry."

"We're hoping Homeworld may be able to help him," Sabrina said, encouraged by Toren's sympathetic expression. "Would you...put in a word for him?"

"I would be happy to," Toren said, "but I doubt my word is worth much on Homeworld right now. I have, after all, failed most spectacularly in my mission."

Aurora intervened. "You contributed to its ultimate success, however, and that must weigh against your being taken off guard in the beginning." She handed Toren a plate she had filled for him, and Sabrina noticed for the first time the cane leaning against his chair. "You're hurt," she said.

"A little souvenir from Stanos," he said. "I am unfortunately not quite so hardy as your brother, who seems to have disproven the impression I was given that Earthers are rather fragile."

"Well," Aurora chuckled, "you should have asked one of us. Anyone on Praxatillus could have told you differently!"

"Yes," Toren said. "Our peoples have not talked enough, that is certain."

"Sabrina," Mara called, "come and eat. Tirqwin will be furious if he returns to find you have faded to a wraith."

Sabrina smiled at Toren and went to pick up a plate. Mara amused herself by pointing out delicacies and insisting Sabrina try them, but at last they were all seated and making desultory conversation while eating. Sabrina wasn't very hungry after what she felt had been a large breakfast, and she was grateful when Ford arrived to distract his mother's attention.

In fact, he caught everyone's attention, including Sabrina's. This was the first time she'd seen him in his own clothes, and she was amazed at the difference in him. He wore a bright royal blue suit, the short, lapel-less jacket tailored to fit his slight form over a soft golden shirt with a round collar. She also caught the glint of a signet on his right hand, the only sign of his position. But it was more than what he was wearing; his whole bearing had changed somehow as he bowed formally, gracefully, to Asnefer and was introduced to Toren. He had become a prince, and Sabrina again felt that disconcerting shift in someone she thought she knew. But when he had quickly filled his plate and slid into the seat beside her, he flashed her a grin that made her feel better somehow.

Asnefer cleared her throat and said, "Shahina reports that there is still no sign of Varla, or of any Homeworld technology on the planet's surface. Somehow they have vanished without trace."

Mara said, "If they could shift the entire planet out of phase, it surely would be a simple matter to shift one ship. Anyone who could plan this would have had an escape route. But we must continue to search. Even without the creature, Varla could be dangerous."

"We will assign a group of Wayships to examine the planet on a rotating basis," Asnefer said. "But I doubt they will find anything. Our offworld operatives have all been notified and will keep watch for any sign of her."

"We will leave a ship here as well," Mara said. "But the Fleet must leave as soon as possible. I will deliver the surviving captives to their home planets and try to speed their healing en route. Any information I discover by doing so, I will immediately relay to you."

"Thank you," Asnefer said. "Well, I think the main points have been settled. We may know more when the level of radiation on the planet has dropped and we can personally examine the evidence."

Sabrina asked, "Isn't anything being done to protect the Stanosians from it?"

"We are monitoring them from orbit," Asnefer said. "They do not seem as easily affected as we are."

Mara said, "We will do what we can for them, Sabrina. But they are a dying race no matter what we do. They have slipped below the threshold for survival, their entire civilization, their entire race, sacrificed to Emalicia's and Varla's ambition. Even were there enough of them, and enough planetary resources left, I doubt they are capable of building anything for themselves after so many generations under mind control. But we will render what aid we can."

Sabrina sighed as Ford said, "And what about the person who was helping Varla? Even if they have escaped Stanos, it should be easy enough for your people to discover who it was, High Tirqwin."

Asnefer frowned. "That inquiry is underway. As is the inquiry into why our two operatives were taken by surprise."

"I suspect," Ford said, with a glance at Toren, "that if you find the answer to one, you'll have the answer to the other."

Mara said, "I think we should take steps to blockade Stanos permanently. Obviously our former efforts were not enough."

"Our?" Asnefer echoed sharply. "Praxatillus did not volunteer its resources to watch this planet. Nor did one of its people lay down her life trying to prevent this plot."

Toren's lips pursed, and Sabrina guessed his partner must have died. She felt a cold anger at Asnefer's insensitivity and said, "One of our people did, High Tirqwin. Major Ilyanan. Several of the rest of us nearly did. And my brother may well have."

"I am sorry for your loss," Asnefer said, not sounding it. "But the fact remains that a Homeworld citizen has died in a plot aimed specifically at the Guardian. This is an ill precedent."

"No one could regret it more than I," Mara said. "I would like to send my personal condolences to Airiesafarenal's family. But until we discover what influence was at work aiding Varla, I think we had best refrain from recriminations."

The atmosphere had become uncomfortably tense, and Sabrina fought an urge to squirm as Mara and Asnefer regarded each other coolly. "Very well," Asnefer said at last. "There remains only the question of precisely how Miss Devon comes to be here. You did not bring her, and Khediva did not bring her, and Varla did not bring her. I am at a loss to guess what the answer may be."

Mara said, "Prime Minister Rassir sent my son to retrieve Sabrina and Scotty."

"How?" Asnefer challenged.

"High Tirqwin, you cannot expect me to answer all your questions when you do not answer all of mine," Mara said. "My son has many talents. You will receive a full explanation later, when we have settled a few...family matters pertaining to it."

Asnefer shot a narrow-eyed glance at Ford, who returned it with a bland, innocent look. "Very well," she said at last. "This conference appears to be finished."

"Yes. Thank you for your cooperation," Mara said, managing to sound sincere.

"And you, for yours," Asnefer replied, getting up and nodding graciously. "I would speak with Miss Devon a moment, if you will permit."

Mara looked at Sabrina, who said, "All right."

Sabrina tried not to fidget as the others said their good-byes. Ford showed signs of wanting to linger, but Mara firmly drew him along with her, leaving Sabrina alone with Asnefer. "How can I help you, High Tirqwin?" Sabrina asked, summoning all her calm.

"It is rather I who may help you," Asnefer said. "Shahina has heard from Homeworld that Tirqwin Arakshanarfelaouzan is attempting to bring your brother there for treatment. I would caution you against this."

Sabrina drew a deep breath and tried to wall off her emotions so she could speak clearly. "It is Scotty's only chance. Praxatillus can do nothing for him."

"So I understand," Asnefer said. "He needs extensive genetic reconstruction, which the Miahns have never practiced. My people have. But never on a race other than our own. They could well kill your brother, with the best of intentions."

"If they don't try, he is dead anyway."

"Very well. But there is likely to be a high price for any intervention by Homeworld."

"I am ready to pay it."

"But are you ready to watch your friends pay it? It will not be you they demand concessions from," Asnefer said.

Sabrina felt a spurt of fury that her brother's life could be used as a ball in a game of politics. "I can't answer that until I know what the concessions are."

Asnefer spread her hands. "I am not here to demand them. I am simply trying to warn you that my people will not do this out of compassion."

"I understand that."

Asnefer paused. "Then you must also understand that, even if they successfully heal your brother, you may never be allowed to see him."

"What?" Sabrina cried, taken off guard. "Why? What would they—"

"From what I understand, your brother's genetic structure is irreparably degraded. Very little, if any, of his human genes will be salvageable. The implication is that Wayfarer material will have to be substituted if he is to survive. Once he is one of us, he will be subject to our laws and customs. He will certainly not be permitted to serve in Praxatillus' military forces, even if he is allowed to return there to live."

Sabrina felt her hands begin to shake. "Then don't use Wayfarer genes! Use mine, or Miahn ones!"

Asnefer smiled wryly. "If you can persuade the Miahns to allow us a genetic sample, my people would be ecstatic. But I doubt even you can do it."

"Take mine!" Sabrina said, holding out a hand. "I'll do whatever I have to!"

"No need. Khediva doubtless has detailed records of your and your brother's genetic structure. But there is, as I understand it, a good chance that human material will not withstand the sort of regenerative process that must be used to heal your brother." Asnefer held up a hand to forestall Sabrina's tearful outburst. "I am not saying they will inevitably claim him as one of us. They may well prefer not to. I am merely trying to prepare you for the possibility. I did not think any of your friends here would do so."

Sabrina took a few deep breaths, trying to get herself under control. "I thank you for your good intentions," she said at last. "And...I know it would be useless to ask you to intercede on our behalf, but...I have never been your enemy. And my brother has only been to the extent of defending Praxatillus. We neither of us ever meant Homeworld any harm, or harbored any hate toward your people."

"I know," Asnefer said, surprising her. "You associate Homeworld with your Tirqwin, who has been your protector. But do not make the mistake of thinking we are all like he is. We are a harsh race. We have had to be, to survive. But we bear you no enmity either. And...." Asnefer paused, as if about to say something difficult. "I realize that your brother could not have hijacked Shahina if we had not let him. We should not have underestimated either of you as we did. And perhaps we owe you something, for the peace. You refused to see us as the enemy, and you forced Praxatillus to go along with your views. This," she swept one hand up to indicate the conference room and the meeting that had just taken place, "could not have happened a hundred years ago. Nor would it be possible today if you had not taken the first step. That is an honorable thing."

"Isn't it worth my brother's life, then?" Sabrina asked quietly.

"Perhaps," Asnefer said. "I will do what I can. But I make you no promises."

"I know," Sabrina replied. "Thank you, for whatever it is you can do. And for warning me."

Asnefer nodded and left the room. When she was gone, Sabrina sank into a chair and turned her face to the ceiling, trying not to cry. Could she balance her brother's life against any demand Homeworld might make? She realized she had no idea what they might demand, other than what Asnefer had mentioned. Their priorities might have changed substantially in the past century. They were reconciled to Tirqwin's marriage, weren't they?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50 0 9
After the earth became inhabitable for more than two thousand years. Due to overpopulation, pollution, and global warming. No trace of human kind was...
292 0 11
1 year after the events of the first story, Stella Harris finally begins her senior year of college. She and her extraterrestrial lover Caden Ezekiel...
3.2K 142 35
2 people from the world of genetics meet 3 people from the world of archeology in an extremely tensed situation. What happens if they have to stop a...
790 110 27
Abriel Brighton exists solely to give birth to genetically perfect children-a role she has no interest in fulfilling. Created by the scientists who o...