So This Is Love...

By vmanriqu3z

Here's to another What Could've Been fan fiction concept, but this time instead of the main character being a... More

Cast
Chapter 1 || The Stark Expo
Chapter 2 || Super Serum & Secret Affairs
Chapter 3 || Hydra attack & The Howling Commandos
Chapter 4 || Jealousy, The Kiss & Red Skull
Chapter 5 || Rescue Mission, Bucky's Fall, Last Goodbye & 70 years past
Chapter 6 || The Meeting of Tony Stark & Black Widow
Chapter 7 || Battle Begins, True Feelings & Goodbye For Now
Chapter 8 || God of Thunder, Back Home & Avengers
Chapter 9 || Loki, Steve Knows & The Truth
Chapter 10 || Battle in New York & Washington D.C
Chapter 11 || The Ghost Shooter & Shield Compromised
Chapter 12 || The Winter Soldier & Saving the World
Chapter 13 || Hydra Base Attack in Sokovia, The Engagement & Ultron
Chapter 14 || African Coast, The Truth Comes Out, Vision & Saving Sokovia
Chapter 15 || Lagos, Secretary Ross, Peggy's Funeral & A Wedding
Chapter 16 || Attack in Vienna, UN Bucky's escape, The Kiss & Asgard
Chapter 17 || Thanos, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Infinity Stones & Wakanda
Chapter 18 || Wakanda Battle, The Snap, Aftermath & Five Years Later
Chapter 19 || Professor Smart Hulk, Going Back In Time, Nat's Gone & Hulk's Snap
Epilogue: The Young Avengers

Chapter 20 || Last Battle Begins, Tony's Goodbye & Back to 1945

19 1 0
By vmanriqu3z

Thor yells in battle cry along with T'Challa and the rest of us, Thanos had raised his sword towards us commanding his army to charge at us as well. Then meeting in the middle, both sides then collided and clashed together in battle.

I fight every single one making my way to Steve, he's with Thor as I see both of them trade hammers, Steve has trouble with the both of them as one tries to put him in a chokehold. I throw my Asgardian knife to the one, it falls to the ground after killing it, Steve kills the other two then stops suddenly as I walk up behind him.

"Steve...," I begin.

He turns around with tears in his eyes breathing heavily, "baby."

"Oh Steve...," I said gasping as I walk to him jumping onto him with my legs wrapped around him.

He embraces me tightly, I feel him cry as he's in my arms, I shed tears as I am now happy to be back with my husband, he puts me down and I gave him the biggest passionate kiss ever.

Our foreheads touch, I smiled, "you have no idea how much I've been wanting to kiss you."

"I've been waiting five years for this," he says to me.

I looked up at him, "it's been five years? Are you serious?"

"Yeah."

"Oh my god."

"Guys? You done having fun love birds? We need more back up," Sam says in the comms.

I scoffed as I smirked, "jealous much Samuel?"

"No comment."

We both chuckled then began to fight together, during the fight Clint comes on the comms, "Cap, what do you want me to do with this damn thing?"

"Get those stones as far away as possible!" Steve says.

"No! We need to get them back where they came from," Bruce responded.

I was confused, "wait, what?"

"No way to get them back, Thanos destroyed the Quantum tunnel," Tony responds.

I was confused, "wait, hold on. A Quantum Tunnel? What the hell did I miss?"

"A lot Miranda, a lot," Clint says.

"Hold on! That wasn't our only time machine," Scott says.

A time machine? Really? Wow.

Suddenly we hear an old van horn sound of La Cucaracha, upon Steve and I hearing it by looking at each other we go to higher ground, "anyone see an ugly, brown van up there?"

"Yes! But you're not gonna like where it's parked!" Valkyrie responds back into the comms.

I looked to Steve as we wore uneasy looks on our faces, "Scott, how long you need to get that thing working?"

"Maybe ten minutes."

"Get it started, we'll get the stones to you," Steve tells him as we both are getting prepared to come up with a plan to get the stones to the van.

"We're on it, Cap."

Both Steve and I looked to each other as we fight together, after tearing apart these things we stood upright looking into each others eyes. I wiped the sweat off his face and smile to him, I move his hair away smiling, it was cute seeing him all dirty and sweaty.

"You have absolutely no idea how much I've missed you Miranda, when Jennifer told me that night after it happened, that our kids...,"

"Shh, Steve, it's okay. We're all back, we're here now and together we will be a family again," I smiled to him putting my hands to his face.

Suddenly it starts raining fire out of the ship, Steve and I take cover, "uh, is anyone else seeing this?"

"I got this, I got this! Okay, I don't got this. Help! Somebody, help!" Peter yells into the comms.

I look to see him struggling and Steve looks as well, "hey, Queens, heads up."

Steve threw Mjolnir, and Peter shoots a web gliding along, then Pepper catches him, but suddenly the canons that were firing at Peter turn towards the sky and they start firing. Steve and I looked confused, but he seemed to be smirking as to know who it is, I clenched my jaw as I figured it may be an outer space woman.

"What the hell is this?" Sam asked in the comms.

Suddenly a bright light of thundering energy comes surging down as it flies through the ship, it then results into explosion and the ship then crash lands in the lake. I took in a deep breath as it helped to destroy the canons and not fire at us anymore, then Steve still wore that look on his face being amused.

"Danvers, we need an assist here," he tells her.

I then looked to him being a tad bit jealous, I'm his wife and of course I should feel like this, "who's Danvers huh? Liking it up with outer space flying women?"

"Honey, she's just a friend, she knows about us two and helped me get through my grief with you," he explains to me.

I nodded, "hm, okay."

I then headed my way over to where Peter was and Danvers, "hey, Peter Parker. You got something for me?"

He gets up and passes her the gauntlet, "I don't know how you're gonna get it through all that."

Wanda arrives, Valkyrie is on her Pegasus flying over, I appear smiling at Peter, "don't worry."

"She's got help," Okoye says joining us.

Mantis arrives, followed by Shuri, Hope, Gamora, Pepper, and Nebula. All of us walk as Danvers flies, I get my weaponry ready to fight them to help Danvers through this, all of us attack them. Thanos farther down the way, starts running towards Danvers, but he's then stopped by Pepper. Shuri and Hope blast him backwards, Thanos sees Danvers fly past him but throws his double sword at the van destroying it and the quantum realm tunnel, throwing Danvers backwards and losing her grip on the gauntlet which then falls to the ground.

I'm still fighting against the Chitauri, I see Stark running towards the gauntlet to get it, the alien who I'm fighting puts me in a chokehold. I struggle but I see Stark and Thanos fighting for it, I didn't want anything bad happening to them as I was fearing for the worst. Thanos smacks him away knocking him out, Thor arrives with his Stormbreaker and Mjolnir in an attempt to pin Thanos' arm down, with assistance from Steve.

However, Thanos overpowers them and knocks them both out. After picking up the gauntlet,  Danvers arrives, punching away at Thanos while he is holding the gauntlet. She keeps punching him, but Thanos grabs her by the arm and flings her away. Thanos puts on the gauntlet, gamma radiation from the stones eating at him as he tries to snap, but Danvers arises again and stops his fingers from snapping, opening up his hand. Thanos headbutts her, but it does nothing. Just as Danvers seems to be gaining the upper hand by rising up and forcing Thanos onto his knees. Thanos pulls the Power Stone out of the gauntlet and uses it in his free hand to hit Carol Danvers away.

Thanos puts the Power Stone back into the gauntlet, yelling from the gamma radiation coursing through him, until Tony makes one last attack on Thanos, pulling on the gauntlet before Thanos punches him away, "I am, inevitable."

Thanos snaps his fingers, but nothing happens as I breathed heavily, I heard a distant metallic clink, he sees that the stones weren't in the gauntlet and that they were missing. I look to Tony who seems to be on his knees sitting up straight as the stones were in his other gauntlet made on his suit, I gasped and covered my mouth as the tears formed. The alien holding me in a chokehold lets me go, I collapse to the ground.

"And I...am...Iron Man," Tony says taking in breaths and snaps his fingers.

"No!" I yelled crying.

All the Chitauri army was fading away into ash, I stand up quickly going to Tony. I couldn't lose my best friend, the man who I had little feelings for but stopped because of Steve, I ran to him as quickly as I could. He stumbles to stand as the right side of his face was fatally injured by the power of the gauntlet, Rhodey flies down to help me set him down on the ground.

"Easy, easy," Rhodey says.

I cried looking him in the eyes, "Tony? Can you hear me?"

He groans trying to move then looks slowly at me, tears in his eyes then smiles lightly at me, "Miranda..."

"Hey, I'm here," I said with my voice cracking.

Peter then flies and swings down, "Mr. Stark? Hey, Mr. Stark? Can you hear me? It's Peter, hey, we won. Mr. Stark, we won. Mr. Stark we won, you did it, sir. You did it."

Tony sits there unresponsive, I kiss his cheek and step away, Steve comes up next to me as Thor is on our right side. He wraps his arms around me, Thor does the same rubbing my back. Peter breaks down and hugs him, "I'm sorry, Tony."

Peter is led aside to grieve by Pepper, she sits in front of Tony who is slowly fading away, "hey."

Tony is barely able to move his head, but manages to look Pepper in the eyes, "hey, Pep..."

Pepper places her hand on Tony's Arc Reactor and Tony rests his hand on hers, Pepper takes a good look at his fatal injuries, "Friday?"

"Life functions critical."

Tony smiles with tears in his eyes, "Tony, look at me."

She makes sure Tony gets a long look at her smiling face, "we're gonna be okay, you can rest now."

Tony's arc reactor then flickers off for good then his had resting on hers slowly falls, Pepper can no longer contain her grief as she starts crying on his shoulder. I cried in Steve's arm, then Clint starts to kneel in honor of Tony, all of us around start to kneel. As I kneeled, I look down putting my wrist to my forehead crying in grief as my best friend died, I couldn't believe this day and this moment had come.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back, and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone, let alone, you know, to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised. But come on, you know? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And, for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in."

All of us are gathered at the Stark household, I stand with Steve as we watch Tony's holographic message being projected from his helmet, he's sitting down and seeing this makes me so emotional. I start to cry and couldn't bare holding it in and fighting my grief, I'm so lost without him in my life and without his great advice.

Twenty Four Years Ago...

"Miranda, I want you to promise me one thing," Tony says to me as I looked to him confused as we are here in the Park after fighting Thanos' goons in New York.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"I had a dream that Pepper and I were expecting, I have a feeling she is. But, if our child comes out as a girl, will you be our kids godmother and Steve the godfather?" He asked looking at me.

I smiled nodding, "of course."

"And please be there for Matthew and the kids, the thought of me leaving them if something happens in the end, hurts," He says to me.

I half smiled, "they'll be okay Tony, you always worry."

"I'm their godfather, it's my job. But, if anything goes wrong, I just wanted to tell you that you're my best friend and I love you, always will," he says giving me a surprising hug.

I hugged him back, "I love you too, Tony."

Present Day...

"So I thought I'd probably better record a little greeting... In the case of an untimely death on my part. I mean, not that, death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow, it's...it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig. Part of the journey is the end," Tony suddenly gets up walking towards his camera, "What am I even trippin' for? Everything's gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to," He leans down and smiles, he is looking straight at Morgan, "I love you 3,000."

The message ends and it cuts out, I wipe my puffed up red eyes with a tissue, Steve pulls me in his arms holding me close to him, I never wanted Tony to sacrifice himself to save the world again but at a such great cost. All of us are outside the cottage. Pepper carries a wreath out of the house to an audience waiting outside for the intimate funeral. She lays the wreath on the lake. On top of the wreath is Tony's first arc reactor which Pepper had framed with the words "Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart".

Pepper, Morgan, Happy Hogan, & Rhodey, all being joined by Steve and I with the kids, Peter Parker, May Parker, Thor, Bruce Banner, Doctor Strange, Wong, Scott Lang, Hope Van Dyne, Janet Van Dyne, Hank Pym, Peter Quill, Nebula, Rocket, Groot, Drax, Mantis, T'Challa, Okoye, Shuri, Clint Barton & his family, Wanda Maximoff, Bucky Barnes, Sam Wilson, Harley Keener, Secretary Ross, Maria Hill, Carol Danvers, and Nick Fury, silently watching the wreath float away.

After the ceremony of watching the wreath float away, Steve and I are walking to the platform to bring back all the stones, Bruce presses buttons as Sam and Bucky stand to watch, "Now, remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them. Or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

"Don't worry, Bruce. Clip all the branches," Steve responds to him.

"You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back. I miss her, man," Bruce tells us but looks at Steve.

I swallowed knowing we lost Natasha as well, I felt the tears and wiped them away, Steve looks to him, "me too."

"You know, if you want, I can come with you," Sam suggests.

"To be next to me Sam? Awe so sweet," I sarcastically said.

Bucky chuckles, Steve scoffs lightly holding back a laugh, Sam looks at me smiling shaking his head as Steve looks to him, "you're a good man, Sam. This one's on me, though."

Steve and I go over to Bucky, "don't do anything stupid 'till we get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you," Bucky tells him.

Both of them share a hug, "gonna miss you buddy."

"It's gonna be okay, Buck," Steve assures him, Bucky then looks over to me as Steve walks onto the platform, "you're coming back with him right?"

"Of course I am, I have to see my best friend again," I tell him smiling.

He smiles then hugs me tightly, I kiss his cheek and walk over to the platform after letting go of Bucky's hand. Leaving him like this must be hard on him, I hate that whatever happens we will come back in one good piece.

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam asks.

"For him? As long as he needs. For us? Five seconds," Bruce tells him.

Steve picks up Mjolnir, "ready, Cap and Miranda? Alright. We'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet."

"Going quantum. Three, two, one."

Back in 1945

I found myself getting up in my room, I was wondering when I got back into my apartment, I looked at my left hand to see that my wedding ring and engagement ring were no longer on my left finger. I was back into my original attire from when Steve and I flew on the plane to destroy it, as I sat up I groaned in pain realizing that I still had the injury from Red Skull. When I groaned I heard a voice, I was confused.

"Miranda? Are you awake?"

That voice, sounds so much like...

"Mom?" I asked as I saw her walking into my room.

She smiled, "oh thank goodness you're awake, I thought you were never going to wake."

I suddenly pulled her in for a hug not caring that I was injured because for one, she was dead in my future and I never got to see her. And second, I was so happy to see her again, without her in my future like that was something I never want to happen again. I felt her arms circle around me as I caught her by surprise, I never want to do that whole thing again.

"Oh! Honey, a-are you alright?" She asked me as I held her close.

I smiled smelling her sweet roses penetrate my nose, "yes mom, I'm perfectly fine."

"Oh good, your father is in the kitchen talking to that handsome young fellow that we got to meet at the SSR, he was such a sweet gentleman!" She says to me smiling.

I looked at her confused, "what gentleman?"

"Oh honey that cold water must've gotten to you, that fine young blonde man!" She says.

I got up instantly wincing at the pain, my mom tried grabbing my arm to pull me down to lay more, but I wasn't within her length to stop me, "honey!"

As I peered out the door of my room, I see both my dad and Steve in the kitchen talking as my dad cooked, but as I stepped out both of them grew quiet from their conversation to look over to me. Steve stands up straight seeing me, he sees my bloodied blouse shirt, the open hole was where he can see my bandaged wound. He walks closer to me, as his hands go upon my face, I smile as I look him in the eyes, he smiles then leans down kissing me on the lips.

During the kiss, it felt like a kiss from never before, I never imagined to feel this way towards him and love him even more than I already did. Us getting married, we can do it the right way with my parents being there, my father accepting Steve's blessing to marry me and him walking me down the aisle, a father and daughter dance that's meant to happen.

My father then cleared his throat as him and my mom were still here, we break the kiss to see them both standing there smiling as his arm was wrapped around her. My mom gushed at us both seeing us kiss in front of them, it was love like this that makes me want to do it all over again, to go back in time and meet Steve all over again.

"Who's ready for dinner?" My father asked smiling.

Both Steve and I smiled, "wonderful."

A few months passed, I'm four months pregnant and decided to pay the SSR a visit, I retired from here and worked at a different job. As I got to Howard's office, I knocked on it, he said to come in and as I did he is sorting out his files and puts them in all different unorganized places. He never seemed to look up or turn around for that matter as he was so busy, it made me smile as I see the similarities from him to Tony.

"How can I help y—"

"Hi Howard," I smiled as he finally turned around.

He takes his glasses off and comes over to me as he sets them down, "oh my god! Miranda! You're here! You're alive!"

I chuckled, "yes, I'm alive."

He embraces me into a huge hug, I smiled and hug him back tightly, during this embrace makes me reminisce about hugging Tony and feeling his strong arms around me like Howards. I wanted to cry in his arms but I couldn't, I couldn't cry like this while being with him. I needed to be in a good state for him, I didn't want him to worry about me.

"So, what brings you here on such small notice?" He asks me.

I smiled, "I need to tell you something."

"What is it? Wait, are you pregnant?" He asked already seeming to be excited.

I chuckled, "yes I am, but that's not why I'm here."

"Well, what is it?" He asked.

"Whenever you have kids, or just one son or daughter, please promise me you'll be a good dad to your son? Or daughter?" I asked him.

He was confused, "Miranda, where are you going with this?"

"Please just promise me."

"I promise."

Two years later...

Two years have gone by and I was far more than happy to be married to Steve after our son Matthew Devin Rogers was born, he is now two years old and can now speak. I'm pregnant once again, it's amazing how time flies by when you're so deep in love and forget about most of everything that has happened. My parents were over helping me out while they watch Matthew as I prepare dinner, my dad is currently playing with Matthew, my mom is helping me prepare dinner.

"Steve is such a good man sweetie, you've met one fine young man and I couldn't be any more happier than I am to have a grandchild, a son in law and now another grandchild growing inside you," my mom says as she smiles at me.

I smiled looking at her after I cut up the chicken into slices, "thank you mom, if it wasn't for us meeting at the SSR, he wouldn't have been my husband or the father to my kids."

"Yes that's true, you would've been stuck married to that Bucky fellow or Howard," she tells me.

Hearing Bucky's name aches my heart knowing that what he's going through right now is troubling since both Steve and I can't save him, I chuckled, "mom, Bucky is a good friend of mine, I never saw him that way."

"Well, he did to you. And that Howard Stark fellow? He's bad news," she says as she cuts up the onions.

I was smiling as I began to cut up the cilantro, "what makes you say that mom?"

"Have you seen the fellow?" She asked me turning towards me.

I chuckled as my father walks up holding Matthew, "leave the young man alone honey, he's doing a fine job building engineers for the men out here who need it."

"Yes, he's a good man for that but I just can't trust him," She responds.

"Oh, mother, you read too much in the papers," I tell her smiling as I cook the chicken and cilantro together.

She then puts the onions in the frying pan as it all cooks together, my father nods, "she's right honey."

"Okay, alright."

We laugh, the door opens and Steve walks in, Matthew gets excited to see him walk in, I couldn't tell who was more excited either my dad or Matty. Being with my family makes me smile, knowing that there are very little times to have like this with your family. My mother and I bond so very well, my dad and I have the greatest relationship together, but he loves every passing moment to speak to Steve and hold many different conversations.

2023

Sam's POV

"Where are they?" I asked looking towards Bruce as we didn't see Steve and Miranda appear on the platform.

"I don't know. They blew right by their time stamp. They should be here," Bruce tells me.

"Well, get them back."

"I'm trying."

"Get them the hell back!"

"Hey, I said, I'm trying!"

"Sam...," Bucky says aloud.

I walk towards Bucky, all three of us see an older Steve sitting on a bench, but we didn't see Miranda, my heart began to ache to see her not next to him, both Bucky and I go near him.

Bucky nods to me as he stayed back, "go ahead."

I walk over to Steve who's now old with gray hair, "Cap?"

"Hi, Sam," he turns to me smiling.

"So did something go wrong, or did something go right?" I asked him.

"Well, after I put the stones back, I thought, maybe I'll try some of that life Tony was telling me to get," he tells me.

I smiled, "how'd that work out for you?"

"It was beautiful," he smiled

"I'm happy for you. Truly," I tell him smiling.

"Thank you."

"Only thing bumming me out is the fact I have to live in a world without Captain America," I tell him smiling but holding back the pain.

"Oh, That reminds me," he says then unzips the circle bag with his shield in it and brings it out, "try it on."

I look over to Bucky, he nods, and I hold Steve's shield.

"How does it feel?" He asked.

"Like it's someone else's."

"It isn't."

"Thank you. I'll do my best," I said taking in a deep breath holding back the tears.

"That's why it's yours," he says and shakes my hand.

I see his wedding ring, "you wanna tell me about her?"

He smiles, "no. No, I don't think I will. But she will."

Miranda's POV

I walk out from the trees smiling at Sam, "hi, Sam."

"Miranda, you're alive," he says smiling shocked.

I chuckled, "Steve wouldn't ever let me die Sam."

"Right, you two are meant to grow old," he says smiling.

I nodded, I walked up to him and hugged him tightly. I look behind him and see Bucky, with tears in his eyes, I smiled at him and pulled him in a for a long tight hug.

"Hey Buck," I said smiling.

He hugged tighter, "hey you."

I looked him in the eyes and put my hands on his face, "don't cry on me Bucky."

"I just thought you never made it back," he says sounding all choked up.

"I'm here now, okay? In the flesh," I said smiling at him.

"Good, cause I missed you."

I smiled, I kissed his cheek. Steve walked up and put his hands on my shoulders, "it's good to see you Buck."

"You too Steve."

The End

********

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait of the last chapter but hoped you guys liked it!! Let me know what you guys think!!

I'm also going to be putting in a small Epilogue too :)

Enjoy!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

325K 6.2K 32
(n.) the quality or state of being tranquil; calm. A Bucky Barnes story. Phase One. "I didn't mean to fall in love with her, Steve. It just kinda ha...
75.5K 3.3K 45
Mixing business and pleasure is never a good idea. (Y/n) is hard-working, career-driven, and professional. Two months into her new job she meets some...
100K 3.5K 116
Since childhood, Y/n Y/l/n, Steven Rogers, and Bucky Barnes have been an inseparable trio, always watching each other's backs. But when WWII breaks o...
156K 4.6K 30
(Takes place after AoU) She has never really been close to anyone. She has lived her life, just doing what she has been told. After Sokovia, agent [Y...