A Worthy Opponent (HunterxHun...

By Malia_hxh

Raine goes on an adventure to a deadly jungle with mythical beasts to get revenge on a former Spider who dest... More

Intro
Chapter 1: A Sense of Heart (PART I)
Chapter 2: A Funny Feeling
Bonus Scene
Chapter 3: A Magic Duel
Chapter 4: Aftermath
Chapter 5: A Night Out
Chapter 6: How to Instigate
Chapter 7: The Meet Up
Chapter 8: A Coincidence
Chapter 9: A River's Edge
Chapter 10: Forbidden Fruit
Chapter 11: An Evening Flight
Chapter 12: A Fair Game
Chapter 13: Shezun City (PART II)
Chapter 14: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 15: Bloodlust
Chapter 15 Bloodlust pt. 2
Chapter 16: The Jungle Members
Chapter 17: A Night at the Circus
Chapter 18: Showtime
Chapter 19: Showdown
Chapter 20: A Glass Wall
Chapter 21: The Jujib Jungle (PART III)
Chapter 22: Dangerous Secrets
Chapter 23: A Broken Wall
Chapter 24: Red Eyes
Chapter 25: A Cold Shower
Chapter 26: An Animal's Aura
Chapter 28: The Silent Hunter
Chapter 29: A Friendly Encounter
Chapter 30: A New Perspective
Chapter 31: A Spider's Lair
Chapter 32: A Win for a Loss
Chapter 33: The Jujib Village (PART IV)
Chapter 34: A Heist
Chapter 35: An Escape
Chapter 36: A Dead End
Chapter 37: The Warden: Part 1
Chapter 38: The Warden: Part 2
Chapter 39: Riv
Chapter 40: Unleashed Emotions
Chapter 41: A Secret Plan
Chapter 42: A True Enemy
Chapter 43: The Break In
Chapter 44: The Chief
Chapter 45: A Grand Opening
Chapter 46: Sharp Ends
Chapter 47: Surrender it All
Chapter 48: A Thread of Courage
Chapter 49: Swallow Your Pride
Chapter 50: Take Charge
Chapter 51: Under Pressure
Chapter 52: Let Your Guard Down
Chapter 53: Fear of Unknown
Chapter 54: Learn and Let Go
Chapter 55: An Unfathomed Bond
Chapter 56: Red as the Blood Moon
Author's Note

Chapter 27: A Warm Fire

71 5 19
By Malia_hxh

Hisoka sat with his cards as everyone gathered around the center tree stump, the fire beaming in the middle. Ahmad had cleared a small opening in the roof for the smoke to escape through, the purple light tinting the base. He started handing out more food to everyone.

"So what happened when we were gone?" Ahmad asked Bisky, handing her fruit.

Illumi and Hisoka sat together with Raine joining him on his right. She started writing in her little notepad as Bisky sat beside her.

FLASHBACK

Raine, Kurapika, and Ahmad left the base. Hisoka's eyes followed curiously as they disappeared through the trees.

Bisky grabbed the herbs, meticulously brushing her clothes with the scent. She was humming a small tune to herself. Illumi kept still in his hammock.

Hisoka stood up. "Might I ask where they went?~"

"To the lake," she answered. He looked over to the water.

"Okay, I'll be going now~" He casually walked to the edge of the base when a sharp wind lifted his damp hair. A branch had skewered a leaf in front of him.

"Oh no, you don't. Stay put." Bisky crossed her arms.

"My my, such accuracy. Impressive~" He turned away again.

"Hisoka, they went off to talk about something for the mission. You aren't interested in that anyway," she said.

"Who says I was going to join them?~"

"He is upset he loses to Raine," Illumi instigated. A suppressed smile hid under the assassin's yawn as he leaned on one hand. Hisoka scowled before brushing it off.

"Loses?" Bisky asked.

"Illumi, you are pushing it~" Hisoka slowly tilted his head.

Bisky tapped her foot, a sneaky smile spreading over her face. "Ooooh, is there a hidden game I don't know about?"

Hisoka displayed his charming smile facing her. "Careful, I wouldn't want to upset Raine by revealing her secrets~"

Bisky is nosy as well, but she has a soft spot for her~

Bisky placed a hand on her hip contemplating before she huffed. "Help start the fire at least." She rolled up her sleeves, placing twigs in the middle.

Illumi stood up, a bundle of herbs in his hand. "Hmm, these give off a strong scent, yet it almost smells like nothing." He placed them in his pocket. "I'll be sure to make good use of these later."

While Illumi was occupied, Hisoka tiptoed away leaving him by his hammock. A sneaky smile crawled up his face. He reached for a branch to step off the base.

"Hisoka."

His heart jumped. Illumi sat before him crouched on the branch. Silent as ever.

"Yes?~" he cooed.

"You didn't finish putting on your makeup."

Hisoka blinked a few times before he scoffed, leaning into the assassin's face. He gently pulled the slick black locks of Illumi's hair forward, letting it glide through his hand. "Do you find pleasure in torturing me?~ If so you should have just said so. Be a dear and save it for when we get back."

Illumi pressed a thumb to Hisoka's cheek. "Your unusual habits are a futile tactic to remove obstacles."

"Then what does, hmm?~" Hisoka flicked his tongue over his lips. "Why do you get in my way?"

"Might I stop you from wreaking havoc? Chasing relentlessly after fights. You're needed for a job later on. Not all of us are immune to poisons you know. And even I can see you're straying off course."

"Ah~ But you know good fights make me feel so—

"No more of that!" Bisky squealed.

The men darted their faces to her, her cheeks flushing a deep red, her fists balled. "J-just get back here and do what you're told!"

FLASHBACK ENDS

"Ohhhh, nothing. We just played some card games." Bisky cleared her throat. Raine raised an eyebrow at her with almost baffled eyes. Hisoka chuckled to himself.

"Hmm, you know I wanted to ask you Illumi," Kurapika started, "could your pins manipulate animals too or just people?"

"Just people," he simply responded. Ahmad handed Raine a fruit. Her smile brightened to thank him before facing Illumi.

"I thought so," said Kurapika. "I was thinking Riv could be another manipulator but I haven't crossed many of them so I'm not sure what they're capable of."

"Manipulators must be attached to a certain object and care deeply for it," Bisky said. "It's just how Ahmad cares about the nature of this Jungle and is able to adjust them at will."

Ahmad sighed, "It's very draining. I manipulate the aura around plants. My father taught me Nen at a young age, solely for this purpose, so I've been able to incorporate some enhancing techniques. I carry around a special herb and drink tea from it every day to maintain my strength because an enhancer's point on the hexagon is far from a manipulator. That's why I won't be able to maintain the violet flowers very long, they will start to fade soon." He handed Hisoka and Kurapika fruit, Illumi refused his.

"Could I help?" Raine piped up.

"It's possible but there are too many, and I don't want to risk using up all your strength. This is my job, you have not to worry," he warmly assured.

Raine split her fruit in half and reached across Hisoka to hand it to Illumi. He stared at her for a moment before finally taking it to which she responded with a winning smirk, then sat back to eat the other half.

"Oh? Since when did you two become best friends?~" Hisoka looked between them.

"Since this afternoon." She finished her fruit in only a few bites then held her hands up to the fire. It was the first time they spoke since his confrontation. Her little peaks at him here and there had been nonstop. She was consistently standing or sitting near him too. His lips curved in a faint smile as she tucked herself in a ball to warm herself.

"Assassins don't have friends." Illumi took a bite out of his fruit. "Mmm!" He exclaimed but his expression remained blank. Raine and Bisky giggled at his juxtaposed reaction.

"You heard him, Raine, he doesn't have friends~" Hisoka leaned back on his arms. "Besides, even if he did, he's already taken. Isn't that right Illu~"

"Hey, you can have multiple friends, just like how I have all of you." Raine met everyone's eyes besides him since he was leaning behind her. Kurapika nodded, the fire creating a soothing ambiance of hope.

Hisoka sat forward. Weren't they supposed to be enemies?

He thought back to their first day camping together in the forest. Everyone was closed off and doing their own thing. Even Raine spoke little to no words, only focused on the mission...ignoring his presence. Tracking her progress was the only thing on his mind. The fight excited him every moment. But now something has changed. He himself was now sitting with these people in a fireplace feeling included. Almost comfortable. A deep underlying realization dawned on him. How she's slowly changing everyone around her. And she might not even know it.

He peeked down at her again. Still wary of her intentions. He watched her resume her writing, her head buried in her thoughts. The power she held was giving her the upper hand. He narrowed his eyes.

Keep your distance, and play along~ don't let her fool you.

A few moments went by and everyone indulged in their own conversations. Kurapika was talking to Illumi about assassin things and how to stalk someone. Killua was brought up at some point. Raine was facing Bisky and Ahmad, showing him her skills with her double-edged blades.

"Wow, that's quite impressive. Can I see them?" She handed him the knives, Ahmad studied them. He manipulated a small, thin twine, and tied it around part of the handle, a little blue flower with a gem-like center glowed at the tip. "Now spin it."

When she did, both their eyes lit up, the little blue light dancing around her hand, creating a harmonious pattern. "Woah...it looks like a continuous firework exploding in my hand," Raine gleamed.

"I'm surprised you know what that is~" Hisoka said.

"Just because I hadn't seen a unicycle doesn't mean I grew up under a rock." She pouted. He chuckled.

"It looks like magic." Bisky studied the small gem.

Magic? You can't be serious~ Hisoka thought not entertained by Ahmad's little gift. That and the flower he gave her was rather unnecessary.

Ahmad stood up. "How about some tea for you ladies, hm?"

"Yes please," Bisky said. Raine nodded.

Hisoka eyed him as he left. "Who would win in a fight, me or him?~" He prompted, the girls turning to look at him.

"You know...it's hard to say," Bisky held her chin. Ahmad was pouring water from a flower into wooden-like cups behind Illumi.

"Oh please, a few trees chopped here and there should do the trick~" He took out a playing card and flung it at a branch, slicing it off clean. Raine glanced curiously before taking out her paper and continued writing again.

"Hey Hisoka, I've been wanting to try that. How do you throw it?" Bisky asked.

His interest peaked as he handed her a card. Bisky leaned in to watch him demonstrate again. Hisoka slightly towered over Raine yet her attention remained elsewhere.

"It's all in the wrist~" he vaguely informed.

There was no need for specific instructions. Bisky was a master. A card throw was nothing challenging. But something hinted in her face that she was up to no good. A slight lining in her lips curled up, something he would do in mischief. She was aiming— he followed her eyes— at Ahmad?

Raine jerked her head up.

*WOOSH*

In the blink of an eye, Ahmad and Illumi dodged out of the way, but Ahmad dropped the cup of tea about to spill in Illumi's lap. Raine was already there, lighting speed to catch it, hovering over...

Mmmmph- Hisoka muffled a gasp.

He blushed a crimson red. A tingling sensation electrifying him. Unable to move.

C-Co...Control.....~

He held his breath. His heart hammering against his chest. He couldn't even blink....her hand.....gripping his inner thigh....so close to his...

She seemed to be there for ages until she slowly retracted her hand to sit, still focused on not spilling the drink. She let out a loud breath, "That was close."

Hisoka immediately covered his cheeks and looked away.

"Oops, I guess I'm not as good as I thought." Bisky's eyes sparkled humbly, her finger pointing to her mouth in an innocent gesture. Hisoka glared at her, still red. She turned away to cover her mouth, stifling her laugh.

But Bisky made a small mistake. Raine was already eyeing her, detecting her inefficient lie.

"What's so funny?" Raine asked, leaning in.

Kurapika cleared his throat, "Uh, I think I'll head to bed now. I'll take the third watch." He headed back to his hammock.

Ahmad collected himself and handed Bisky the other cup of tea. Nobody seemed to know what happened besides himself, Bisky, and Kurapika. Maybe even Illumi.

But Raine eyed Bisky harder. "You did it on purpose?"

"Whaaaat?" Bisky sipped her tea, hiding her face behind the cup.

"I can see right through you. But why is it funny?" Raine crossed her arms.

Bisky held her hand in front of her face. "Raine please, ah- stop reading my aura!"

Raine retreated raising the tea to her face. "Okay, fine..." she mumbled.

Hisoka had shifted his body away, closing his legs. That smallest tension caught her eye again and she faced him. "What's w-

Raine closed her mouth concerned. "You're...red."

Hisoka ran his hands through his hair attempting a devilish smile, even an unsettling comment to scare her away, but his words caught in his throat.

Illumi stepped in. "He needs a moment Raine."

She frowned.

"This tea is...wow, it tastes like it cost a million dollars." Bisky quickly added, probably to shift Raine's attention.

"Yeah, thank you, Ahmad, you've been so kind to us this whole trip." Raine held the cup very close to her face, the texture brushing her nose, taking in its aroma. Her eyes stared intently at the dark liquid, then they rose slowly following the steam. Ahmad flushed a sheepish grin, fiddling with his small braid, though she didn't notice.

"I-it's nothing really," he said then lifted his chin higher.

Raine smiled then started writing again. But just when Hisoka collected himself, Bisky turned to him, still attempting to hold in a laugh. She clearly didn't get a chance to finish reminiscing her little scheme.

"Well," Hisoka stood abruptly, clapping his hands, "We should rest now, a long day tomorrow. Ahmad, you're taking the first watch, is that right?~"

"Right. Bisky do you mind putting out the fire?" He asked. She nodded while Ahmad gathered some items before leaving the base.

Finally~

Raine yawned and headed over to her hammock. Climbing in slowly while situating herself. The purple lights dimmed.

Hisoka turned to Illumi, "I take it you're sleeping in the ground?~"

"I normally would but the hammock will do as provided." He slumped in and fell asleep almost instantly, cradled in an unusual position. Probably because there wouldn't be a soul out there ready to kill him. Otherwise, Illumi never slept in the city.

"I can go days without sleeping, so I'm gonna take watch with Ahmad." Bisky finished putting out the fire, the shadows settling inside their temporary home.

Hisoka smiled innocently, unmoving until she hopped to the roof of the base, meeting with Ahmad. Then he shifted his attention to Raine, his smile fading.

Three hours later...

Hisoka sat on a branch near her hammock, shuffling cards. His mind eased as his fingers fumbled. He could hear the murmurs of Bisky and Ahmad talking on the other side of the base.

Hisoka's eyes flickered to Raine from time to time during the eerie night. Her posture huddled into a ball as if trying to warm herself up. Her thick hair flopped messily around her face. Her breathing was light and steady. The glowing yellow flower rested by her bag.

Hisoka held a hand of five cards in front of him. The joker resting between his index and ring. The pad of his thumb glided over its sharp end.

I must save the fruit. I shouldn't pass an opportunity with an opponent of Foresight. How unfortunately rare...and she's too confident in her skills. Next time she's on her own~

But a sudden relief rested his chest. He lowered his card, sulking his shoulders. It was an unusual yet delightful feeling to have someone to share his burden with...

He peaked at Raine again out of habit relaxing his arm. He picked the next card from his deck, the Queen of Spades. As he flipped it between his fingers, the backside turned into another joker, then back to a queen. Hisoka exhaled his displeasure before tilting his head back against the rigid bark. His eyebrows surrendering to exhaustion.

Foolish girl~

Suddenly, rustling footsteps shuffled near. He perked his head up. Quiet murmurs came from Bisky and Ahmad. They both jumped off the base and ran a short distance away. Their figures disappearing through the mystic fog.

Oh my~

Hisoka shifted his body for a better view.

If he died, that would be very convenient...I'm sure they'll be fine~

He jumped down, landing soundlessly beside Raine, careful not to wake her. His shoes gently tapped the wood as he inspected the area they went towards. He still couldn't see or hear them. Kurapika and Illumi continuously dozed off to the left of the base, though Illumi's breaths couldn't be heard. Hisoka squinted his eyes for a moment before shrugging. It wasn't worth the trouble.

Raine stirred around in her hammock.

"H-Hisoka?" She said faintly, sitting up and stretching.

Not now little spitfire~

He watched her rub her eyes and yawn.

"Why are you not sleeping..." she whispered, her eyelids half-open.

"Shhh~ go back to sleep."

"But...no you have to sleep too." She grabbed his arm then closed her eyes again. He grunted raising his eyebrows.

What a handful~

He tried to tug his arm out. "I'm on guard duty~"

She paused. For a moment he thought she fell asleep as her body relaxed, but he was wrong. She scrunched her eyebrows, "you lie..." and dragged him down closer. His eyes widened at her sudden strength, even with her eyes still closed. Her nose nudged his forearm. She now had both her arms wrapped around his. Her head flopped lazily over his arm.

Raine, you're making this rather difficult~ His heart pinged, his eyebrows furrowed.

He attempted to lift his arm out again but her whole body rose instead. "Stop..." She groaned softly.

He gave up to think. Unsure of what to do. He couldn't have her attached.

"It's unfortunate that Bisky and Ahmad are in trouble~"

"What?" She shot up looking around in panic.

"I was kidding, they're fine~" he appeased taking his arm back.

"But, you weren't lying..." She got off the hammock and searched around. "Where are they?"

"Oh, they just went to check something out, I'm sure it's nothing—

"RAINE!" Bisky's screams echoed.

Oops~

"Bisky? Ahmad! Where are you?" Raine bolted off the base.

Kurapika and Illumi jolted up. "What happened?" Kurapika asked.

He shrugged. Raine already dashed out into the abyss.

They followed their shouts north of the base for a while until they stumbled into a small open area with damp fog pressuring the ground.

Hisoka's eyes widened. Raine gasped.

What have we here?~

Bisky and Ahmad stood limping. Scratches were scathed across their backs and shoulders. Blood dripping down into endless pools.

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130K 3.4K 22
"Why in Mother Nature's sweet sweet name am I at a circus?" I thought. "Oh right. I'm gonna be training with a clown today." I said out loud dejected...
41.6K 1.6K 40
"I envy you, Hisoka." The magician's eyes widened in shock. "I envy you so much. You get to go around and be with whoever you want, while I'm stuck h...
78K 2.1K 24
Y/n has been an amazing nen user ever since she was 10. When she was 15 she took the hunter exam and passed it easily as a rookie. Now she travels al...
4.2K 80 5
//MARKED COMPLETED BUT WILL PROB STILL UPDATE\\ Just some one-shots about the amazing Hunter x Hunter characters that I will use for inspiration when...