A Worthy Opponent (HunterxHun...

Af Malia_hxh

Raine goes on an adventure to a deadly jungle with mythical beasts to get revenge on a former Spider who dest... Mere

Intro
Chapter 1: A Sense of Heart (PART I)
Chapter 2: A Funny Feeling
Bonus Scene
Chapter 3: A Magic Duel
Chapter 4: Aftermath
Chapter 5: A Night Out
Chapter 6: How to Instigate
Chapter 7: The Meet Up
Chapter 8: A Coincidence
Chapter 9: A River's Edge
Chapter 10: Forbidden Fruit
Chapter 11: An Evening Flight
Chapter 12: A Fair Game
Chapter 13: Shezun City (PART II)
Chapter 14: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 15: Bloodlust
Chapter 15 Bloodlust pt. 2
Chapter 16: The Jungle Members
Chapter 17: A Night at the Circus
Chapter 19: Showdown
Chapter 20: A Glass Wall
Chapter 21: The Jujib Jungle (PART III)
Chapter 22: Dangerous Secrets
Chapter 23: A Broken Wall
Chapter 24: Red Eyes
Chapter 25: A Cold Shower
Chapter 26: An Animal's Aura
Chapter 27: A Warm Fire
Chapter 28: The Silent Hunter
Chapter 29: A Friendly Encounter
Chapter 30: A New Perspective
Chapter 31: A Spider's Lair
Chapter 32: A Win for a Loss
Chapter 33: The Jujib Village (PART IV)
Chapter 34: A Heist
Chapter 35: An Escape
Chapter 36: A Dead End
Chapter 37: The Warden: Part 1
Chapter 38: The Warden: Part 2
Chapter 39: Riv
Chapter 40: Unleashed Emotions
Chapter 41: A Secret Plan
Chapter 42: A True Enemy
Chapter 43: The Break In
Chapter 44: The Chief
Chapter 45: A Grand Opening
Chapter 46: Sharp Ends
Chapter 47: Surrender it All
Chapter 48: A Thread of Courage
Chapter 49: Swallow Your Pride
Chapter 50: Take Charge
Chapter 51: Under Pressure
Chapter 52: Let Your Guard Down
Chapter 53: Fear of Unknown
Chapter 54: Learn and Let Go
Chapter 55: An Unfathomed Bond
Chapter 56: Red as the Blood Moon
Author's Note

Chapter 18: Showtime

81 6 2
Af Malia_hxh

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! BOYS AND GIRLS! Welcome to the greatest show on earth! It's the moment you've all been waiting for so please relax and enjoy!" A beam of light had fixed on the ringmaster before it all went dark again. People had filled the seats around us, cheering from all directions.

I pulled away just in time, knowing it was about to begin. I was waiting for the right moment, and it finally came. My plan for the bet, I had to get a feel for him. For the colors that peeked inside. But it was now or never...because I could tell...Hisoka had figured out a way to break me tonight.

It might not be enough to affect this game he's given me but it's a start.

Hisoka retracted his arm and straightened up, crossing his legs. His aura temporarily nulled, but I felt subtle emotions rise again. He was flabbergasted and trying to comprehend what I had just done but hopefully, didn't figure out my intentions. I used his words against him to throw him off, leaving him on edge to think my plan was more manipulative than he thought.

The lights burst on again.

The first act. I need to take the rules seriously, I shouldn't underestimate him and I won't let Bisky down.

I narrowed my eyes in concentration. The music echoed an upbeat, classical melody. Soft purple and blue beams flickered over the center. A circular stage in the center held five pairs of canes, along with five beautiful women with matching leotards in swan-styled makeup that posed at each one. And hanging from the ceiling was a long, plum-silked rope.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, the Swan Cavorts!" The ringmaster appeared again by the stage. Within his hand, he escorted a woman with a dazzling white leotard and a feathered mask onto the stage by the silk rope. She waved to the crowd and climbed up. The ringmaster stepped off, "Let the show begin!"

The five acrobats positioned onto their canes, hauling themselves into handstands. The woman in the middle was gathering silk to climb up, locking her legs in and posing. Suddenly, the stage itself started spinning but the silk rope remained in place. She performed tricks in the silk, twirling into different positions while the acrobats below her did a synchronized dance. My fingers curled and I let out a breath awestruck. It was simply amazing...the music, the lights. Then I sighed because my first experience had to do with life and death matters.

Gyo!

I first examined the girl on the rope. She started swinging around, orbiting the center at a speed faster than the stage. Her legs were now the only thing attaching while her torso completely extended sideways, protruding towards the crowd.

There's...no Nen activated.

The spinning woman then took out a stick and inserted something in her mouth. She then blew on the tip and fire surged out! A flamboyant mint green flame cast a glow over the seats of the audience as she moved in a circle. The flame then started turning into a lavender color, then white, then blue. The crowd went wild cheering.

But I stiffened.

The Nen. Her power. Isn't that what I'm looking for? It doesn't seem like there's anything coming from her-

Something caught my eye. The acrobats on the canes. They all had Nen surrounding them.

Is that where the true performer is? I haven't even found whom I'm supposed to reveal yet.

I studied them intensely. The dancers were bending in ways that didn't even seem possible as they shifted to a stance using only one hand.

Could their Nen be focused on flexibility? An ability to bend your bones like rubber? But...that means they would all need to have that ability. Unless...

And then I realized. The Nen- it was the same source surrounding all of them. The same kind.

Could that mean they're the same people? Are they real? Are they conjured?

A checklist formed in my head and I crossed out implausible answers, marking it down to two possibilities.

Duplication? Then they should all be the same people. Conjuring people is a lot of energy though.

Or manipulation? But why manipulate others when they practice this for a living. Puppets? And isn't it exhausting to control 5 life-sized objects at once and be able to perform something this complicated?

I searched for distinct features, though it was proving difficult from the distance. Their hair colors were even the same, but then I focused on body proportions realizing they were indeed different.

Not duplication...but are they different puppets? Doesn't seem likely though...

The acrobats bent their backs inwards from a handstand with both hands on the canes to form a rainbow-like arc. Their faces towards the audience. I concentrated harder, focusing all my power on my eyes. Their facial features became sharper, and I found their individual auras distinct. They were definitely living people; their expressions were slightly changing.

It must be manipulation then. But who? How? It should be exhausting to control this many people. And why would they? These skills are required for this job.

The woman in white started throwing powder and glitter, the music escalating into a livelier tone. She was dancing midair like a graceful bird flying as if she was born to be here.

It might almost be the finale; I don't have much time left.

My chest caved in, and I bit my lip in apprehension. Hisoka grunted next to me. It seemed he was calm again but still smiled, enjoying my stress.

"You know...it's quite a miracle how they perform. When I visited earlier, two of them were said to be injured." He eyed me, his arms crossed.

Injured? A hint. That would make sense but why would they all be manipulated. So, would two have a distinct difference? Then why are all of them being controlled?

It wasn't adding up. It wasn't making sense. I furrowed my eyebrows, contemplating as much as I could on the movements but...it was impossible. The act was so precise, all of their movements were synced perfectly. I studied their joints, for any pain in their faces but nothing.

Wait...they are synced perfectly.

What if they aren't controlling them, the people are just...copying one person? That would require less energy!

No doubt Hisoka would make this hard. He wanted to see my analysis skills, to be able to observe and adapt. And this...this is why I played his game. He gave me challenges unlike any other. I couldn't get enough of it. I gripped my seat and leaned in.

Their faces are the only thing not in unison. The aura...which one is tired. It still involves energy.

I zoomed in on their faces. They were mostly neutral.

No, don't look at their faces. Look at their aura. Come on Raine, only you can see emotions in aura, which one is...

There! The end of the circle.

Dull purple and blue colors flickered deep within one of the girls. But a hidden color reflected fear. Why was she scared? The main light focused on them as they bowed, the children clapping. I finally saw her face in the vivid light. She appeared to be sweating significantly more than the others, then her Nen disappeared and they left the stage in unison.

"Manipulator, the girl that was on the farthest left," I said.

-

Smart girl~ very nice.

Her shining eyes were full of achievement. He bit his thumb, taking in her brilliance.

She seems to be enjoying this too. I guess we both have a competitive nature~

He turned back to the stage as they set up for the next act. His crossed leg swung in excitement as a pleasant thrill sizzled in his chest, a feeling he couldn't get enough of. And if he felt like this from just watching her, what would it be like when on the verge of killing her?

I can't wait~

His eyes peeled to his left. A little girl eating blue ice cream with sprinkles was seated next to him. An evil glare reflected his conniving plan.

A shame~

The second act began.

A man in a red suit sauntered onto the stage. The ceiling was filled with fog, a purple hue. The man was sitting on a bench reading a newspaper, introducing the casual setting of a street corner. A small car prop drove up to him and out popped a mime. No one said a word as the performers acted out a silly play. White dust particles fell like snow but didn't stick to the ground.

Hisoka wondered if Raine noticed.

The mime attempted to take the newspaper from the man, trying to warn him. He acted out an evil villain laughing maniacally then stomped on the ground.

The crowd laughed, and so did Raine. Hisoka glanced at her. She was huddling in her legs as she usually did while resting her chin and arms on her knees. She seemed relaxed.

Has she figured it out already? ~

The man in the suite shooed away the mime, and in response, the mime scolded with a finger before driving away. The man looked at the audience and rolled his eyes, then he picked up his newspaper, and seated on the bench once more.

"Manipulator or Transmuter I can't really tell," Raine whispered leaning in, still not taking her eyes off the performance.

How-

"Illusions are easy to see through." She tapped on his arm, his Texture Surprise cloth he put over his cut.

"Impressive~" He admitted.

Just like she sees through lies. This might not affect her then.

They continued watching the act. Raine had yet to figure out who did it and how it worked. The cloudy mist steamed red and thunder hit the ground from the ceiling. The audience gasped in astonishment.

Raine was still enjoying the scene. She giggled as the man in the suit started running for his life, then bumped into the mime.

Uninterested, Hisoka rested his elbow on the back of her chair again and leaned on his hand. He looked down, pondering her plan, recalling her touch, her aura, how she made him feel relaxed.

Hisoka frowned.

That had to have been her true ability. Her touch...you would think she's a transmuter. That warmth, she alone created. And why did I...

The thought crossed his mind once again, that this was her plan along. Doing it on purpose and pretending she's not.

Hmmph. No matter. He succumbed to his desire to break her. His blood lust slipped out. Mmmm~

"Shhh," she looked up at him. Her eyes fierce and stern.

Oh, that's right. My aura is 'loud'~ He chuckled.

The second act ended and Raine took a deep breath and exhaled. "I don't know for sure but whoever created the illusion on the ceiling wasn't in the act." She then tilted her head uncertain.

"What is it?~" He asked.

"Personal space doesn't seem to be something you're familiar with," she said raising an eyebrow and leaning away again.

"I won't be a bother~" He cooed innocently. "You should pay attention, this last act is very interesting~"

She turned back around to focus. It was true. This act was rather tricky too, but it was his absolute favorite.

A man laughed in the darkness with a haunting echo. White lights quickly flashed to the center. No one. The laugh was heard again, reverberating in the audience. "I'm over here!" The lights flashed to the people but there was no one again. "Over here!" His voice echoed above on the tightropes. Still, no one.

"Oh my, it looks like Kesem is playing his tricks again," The ringmaster called stepping onto the stage.

Hisoka felt Raine's attention shift, and then he realized something. He tapped on Raine's shoulder, "You can see in the dark can't you~"

Raine nodded guiltily. Her eyes were indeed brighter, with a faint glow on the surface.

He scoffed. Her eyes are quite the weapon. They would cost a fortune~

"Everyone!" The ringmaster continued. "Let's call Kesem out. Repeat after me! 'KESEM APPEAR'"

"KESEM APPEAR" The crowd repeated with children giggling.

The center stage poofed in purple smoke but Kesem was nowhere to be seen.

"Come on everyone, one more time! Louder!"

"KESEM APPEAR!"

This time, he finally appeared in the puff of smoke. A tall blonde man with a mustache, top hat, and cane bowed in the center. A magician. The crowd applauded in awe while Raine tensed again.

A good combination. Of course, I never said that one person couldn't appear in multiple acts~

"Hello there." Kesem took off his top hat.

"What a pleasure for you to join us!" The ringmaster welcomed. "What tricks are up your sleeve today magician?"

"Well sir, you'd be surprised. Ladies and gentlemen! I'd like to introduce my assistant Mr. Carrot." Kesem waved his hand over the hat and out popped a white bunny. The crowd immediately awed in unison.

It's all about deception. Leading the crowd away from what truly happens~ Hisoka followed in his head.

"Honestly, Mr. Carrot makes my whole career," Kesem joked. "He will be helping me with my first trick."

"Wonderful!" The ringmaster left the stage.

"My dear audience..." Kesem began walking around. "Let me ask you something. How does one do the impossible?"

"You can't!" Someone shouted.

Kesem laughed. "Quite so..." Then he raised his cane and pointed it towards the audience. "You create an illusion of it!" His voice echoed again but then he paused. "What's that Mr. Carrot?" Kesem leaned into his hat. "Are you sure? Well, okay! We need one volunteer please!" He scanned the audience. Raine turned to her right.

*POOF*

Kesum appeared next to a young teenage boy at a section near them. The audience gasped and applauded again at his teleportation. "Would you like to assist me?"

The boy nodded and followed him back to the center.

"This will be a game where you and Mr. Carrot try to find me in the correct box! Sounds simple I know."

A long rectangular cart with opaque glass on all sides was brought out. The box seemed wide enough to fit ten people standing inside.

"I will step into this crate and choose a place to position myself. My other assistants will then separate it into eight individual boxes so you will have to guess which one I'm in for a prize. Mr. Carrot will also assist you. Ten seconds on the clock for each decision. You have three chances, good luck!"

He placed the rabbit in the center of the stage and told the boy to wait there. Kesem then walked into the crate while two extras helped separate the cart, evenly distributing eight boxes into a circle surrounding the boy. The music started playing another upbeat song and the little boy looked to the audience.

"That one!"

"To the left!"

"Try this one!"

People were pointing at different boxes while the rabbit didn't move. It was rambunctious until finally, the music lowered its volume.

"Oh, dear..." Kesem's haunting voice shouted from a box to the left. The boy ran to it. "I can't seem to make up my mind..." He suddenly responded from a box on the opposite side of the circle. The audience gasped once again, and the boy paused in his tracks, searching around nervously. A deceptive laugh could be heard echoing from another box.

Hisoka chuckled. "You already know he isn't teleporting or else you would have sensed him in different places~" he whispered in Raine's ear.

A timer counted down. "3...2...1, Beep!"

The assistants revealed two empty boxes as the rabbit ended up next to one and the boy at another.

"Good try," the voice echoed from a box next to the boy, "But don't worry, I can't see which one you choose or where you are."

Another round went by as the previously chosen boxes were taken out. Six boxes remained but the boy still couldn't identify the right box.

"They say the eyes are easy to fool...but what happens when you can't see?" Kesem's voice flew from box to box.

The rabbit hopped to one and the boy chose again at random.

"Can your ears be deceived too?" Kesem chuckled again as if a phantom-like ghost roamed in the shadows around freely.

Raine finally spoke. "That wasn't him..."

"Hmm?~"

"The Kesem who appeared in the introduction wasn't real. The real one didn't appear until he showed up near us, next to the volunteered boy."

"That is true~"

"A two in one...the ringmaster's power has been active in every act. He oversaw the effects in the first two. The atmosphere, the fog, the thunder, and for a fake Kesum in the third to make it seem like he was teleporting."

Mmm, very good indeed~

"And when I used Gyo," she continued, "there was a small glowing dot floating around from box to box, where the sound was coming from...."

Hisoka smiled listening to her think out loud.

The rabbit ended up finding Kesum in the last round and the boy was rewarded with a small prize anyways. But Hisoka was glued to Raine. Her aura still...listening and observing. Her ears twitched at subtle sounds. It was like a reward to get a feel for his growing fruit. To watch it progress, to watch it bloom.

Kesem bowed, the hat still in his hand, while the rabbit hopped in, but he didn't put it back on. The boy walked back to his seat and the audience gave an ecstatic encore before they stood up and erupted into louder cheers, whistling, and tossing roses at him. Even Hisoka always enjoyed his comedic character, and his impossible magic show...an inspiration to deceive the eyes.

Kesem retreated backstage, holding the hat, the rabbit close to him then disappeared within the shadows.

"Until next time..." His stirring words bounced off the walls rather loudly, his voice ringing in their ears as if it went through more hidden speakers.

"But the rabbit," Raine started, "I feel like it has something to do with it." She crossed her arms thinking.

Hisoka's eyes lit with desire, with hunger. Half-time was starting and the audience scattered.

This is it. I have you now~

"This was a fun game..." Raine stood up," But I really should be going now."

-

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

130K 3.4K 22
"Why in Mother Nature's sweet sweet name am I at a circus?" I thought. "Oh right. I'm gonna be training with a clown today." I said out loud dejected...
47.2K 1.6K 26
This is a sequel to Try To Take Her Away From Me. They drove her away. The time has come for a victor to rise. Who will emerge from the smoke and dus...
11K 258 20
Illumi x Female Reader There's a time in our lives when we're willing to go mad for the person we love. We question if it's the right thing, and th...
133K 3.2K 49
Y/N,L/N.That was all you were know for.Youre initialed name.All because of you're family business.But one day something occurs in you're life that ma...