The Crow

By phonywriter

{Mature Content; viewer discretion is advised!} All characters that are not mine, rightfully belong to the au... More

{Ongoing Updates, Publishing, Warnings}
🌟
Chapter 1. Red
Chapter 2. Games
Chapter 3. Best Friend
Chapter 4. Secrets
Chapter 5. Letters
Chapter 6. Legilimency
Chapter 7. Jealousy
Chapter 8. Cries
Chapter 9. Perfection
Chapter 10. A Broken Piano
Chapter 11. New Beginnings
Chapter 12. Answers
Chapter 13. Silence I
Chapter 14. Silence II
Chapter 16. Live to Love
Chapter 17. Repetition
Chapter 18. Last Forever
Chapter 19. Summer
Chapter 20. Undeniable
Chapter 21. Change
Chapter 22. Bird
Chapter 23. Party I
Chapter 24. Party II
Chapter 25. Distraught
Chapter 26. Amortenia
Chapter 27. Blinded
Chapter 28. Fiery
Chapter 29. Realization
Chapter 30. Burning
Chapter 31. The Journal
Chapter 32. I'm Yours
Chapter 33. Second Love
Chapter 34. Party Crasher
Chapter 35. Deathly Burdens I
Chapter 36. Deathly Burdens II
Chapter 37. Drained
Specialty Chapter 1. Harry Potter
Specialty Chapter 2. Draco Malfoy
Chapter 38. To Stoke A Fire
Chapter 39. Compromise
Chapter 40. Lost and Found
Chapter 45. Forgotten

Chapter 15. Understanding Your Enemy

475 17 4
By phonywriter

Harry Potter

We finally made it to the castle, Neveah's cold body in my arms. She was barely breathing, barely alive. Her grey face rested against my chest as her limbs hung limp. I sprinted through the halls, searching for the medical wing. The others followed closely behind.

Lupin, Ron and Dumbledore insisted on carrying her for me. They tried to pry me away as I gathered her in my arms. I refused. My exhaustion was replaced with full energy. I shouldn't have left her side. And I sure as hell can't now.

I just lost Sirius. I can't lose you too, Neveah.

Suddenly, another boy appeared in front of me. I hadn't noticed him until he stood right before me. I wasn't focused on anything besides getting Neveah help. He had what I imagined as the same sickly look I have.

"What the hell happened, Potter?" Draco rushed towards me, looking at Neveah in my arms.

"I-she was fighting.. a-and Bellatrix..." I couldn't form the words. Nothing could describe what had happened. Nothing could describe her pleading voice, begging for help.

"Jesus, Potter." He took her from my arms, and I didn't bother fighting back. She clung to his body even when unconscious. I had reached my breaking point, which I assumed Malfoy noticed.

If I had an ounce more of energy, perhaps I would've fought him away. But when it comes to Neveah, I know he'd protect her just as much as I would.

For just a second I put away my hatred. We followed him to the hospital wing. He set her gently into the nearest bed, and the nurses quickly began rushing around. A few physicians from St. Mungo's had come as well, considering we don't actually know what we're dealing with.

Draco stood on one side, holding her hand tightly. He brushed his hand over her hair. I've never seen him so worried, so scared. He looked in genuine pain, he looked human.

Doctors forced us away from her, needing space to work. Draco's attention shifted to me, his face turned into the aggressive look I've known.

His heavy footsteps stomped towards me. He gripped my collar, raising me upwards.

"What the hell did I say, Potter? I'm going to kill you." His words seethed through his teeth.

"No!" Hermione shouted at us both. "Neveah is ill, she's laying right in front of us. So for one damn minute, will you stop trying to kill each other?"

Hermione had tears in her eyes, her voice catching in her throat. She was right, we both knew that. Reluctantly, Draco put me down. After-all it wasn't about us, it was about our love for Neveah.

A man dressed far more professional than Hogwarts' standard nurse walked towards Dumbledore. The rest of us gathered around, assuming he had an update.

"I'm Dr. Barlaam. You must be the Headmaster." He shook Dumbledore's hand, "I received your message just in time, I'm glad I got here when I did."

"How is she doing?" Draco interrupted. I was thankful he did, if he hadn't then I would've.

"Its... hard to say. We've never seen magic like this before. Even our diagnostics are missing pieces here and there." He did his best to explain something he didn't understand, making us all weary. "Her own body turned on her. It was... mutated. Momentarily, that is. That's the best way to describe it."

"What does that mean? How's that possible?" I didn't understand.

"When casting a diagnostic charm, we can typically find the cause easily. By collecting symptoms, examining wounds, running through her blood, etcetera. Nothing in our records was present. Only her blood."

"Impossible..." Dumbledore had been silent until now. He stared at Dr. Barlaam with an open mouth, his hand on his heart. "Dr. Barlaam, I'd like to talk to you in private."

***

Everyone who fought at the Department of Ministry had been assessed before given clearance to head for their dorm. Madam Pomfrey insisted I stay overnight for precaution.

I laid in the bed next to Neveah. A sheer curtain was the only thing that stood between us.

Although she was stable, nurses and physicians had to keep a constant eye on her. Her body healed and crashed throughout the day. I watched their shadows in pain as doctors doused her with magic. A million tests until even they had enough.

Thankfully by the time it stood dark, she was in the clear. According to Dr. Barlaam, she would make it out alive. But she'd need plenty of recovery time and a hell of a lot of support. He never went into detail about her situation.

Within the same time, Dumbledore was reinstated. It seemed as though everything would be okay, despite the current condition. I thought that maybe he'd come for a visit, provide answers. He never did.

I asked the others not to visit, I knew they were exhausted. Ironically, as much as I wanted to be alone, I felt unbearably lonely. My only comfort being Neveah's silhouette through the fabric between us. That only made me feel guilty.

The first time I closed my eyes, Sirius' black eyes haunted me. He was gone, he was never coming back. I still had dreams of a life with him. I wanted to live with him, I wanted to make him proud. Just as he had gotten his life back, it was taken from him.

The second time I closed my eyes, I heard Neveah's heart wrenching cries. I heard her shouting in agony, begging for help. I watched her torture and I couldn't do a single thing to make it stop.

I couldn't lose her. I couldn't lose anymore people I love. It doesn't matter whether she feels the same way. Whether she sees me as just a friend, or anything more, it doesn't matter. I'll love Neveah either way. I just want her in my life. I need her to live. So please, please keep fighting.

I heard the door creep open. I stiffened beneath the sheets, hoping to act still enough to seem asleep. I shut my eyes tightly, waiting until the figure passed.

Footsteps clattered on the floor. Once they passed my bed, I looked under the curtain to see black, shiny shoes standing at Neveah's bedside. The same ones the raced towards me in pain and anger.

Draco Malfoy.

I could hear him pull a chair up besides her, probably holding her close. The thought of him so close to her, closer than me, sent chills down my side.

But then, I heard sobs. Soft, suffering cries. The Draco Malfoy, was crying.

"I-I'm so sorry, Bird." He whispered softly. "I shouldn't have let you go. I should've never lied to you. Maybe- maybe I could have protected you. I wish I could take it all back, everything I did. I wasted so much time fighting... I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm-"

His voice cracked over his repeating words. I shouldn't have been listening, but nothing stopped me.

"I can't lose you Neveah, not again. I will do anything I can for you to forgive me. And-and my father... I'm sorry. I hate him, I truly do." His words quivered through his lips. "I-I'm sorry for being so rude to your friends. I get jealous, jealous of that idiot, Potter." My heart quickened at my name. "I think he's good for you, you know? I know he won't hurt you like I did. As much as I hate it, he can make you happier."

I couldn't believe his words. I had never heard Draco speak in any other way besides insulting. Now, he was vulnerable. In a way, he didn't hate me. He hated himself, his father, his life.

I felt sympathy for him, he had feelings. He was only human. He just wanted Neveah to be safe, to be happy.

"I brought this for you. It was quite difficult getting it, but I needed you to have it." He sniffed, "I love you Bird, and I am so sorry."

He sat up from his chair. The moonlight made visible shadows for me to see. He planted a soft kiss on her forehead before leaving the room.

Once I made sure he was gone, I sat up from my bed. I walked over to her side of the curtain. Her pale lips beginning to gain color, as well as her skin. Her dark hair shined from the moon light.

I realized she had a hand closed over something. I stepped closer, opening up her hand.

A golden locket.

This must've been what Malfoy was talking about. I opened it to see a picture. Young Draco and Neveah laughing together, smiling for the camera.

He looked so innocent, she looked so happy.

The words engraved read, "To Bird, From Dray." I was jealous of their close bond. I was angry, angry that I can't be mad at Draco. Because I know he's no different from me. I know he loves her.

I closed the locket. I reached around her neck, clasping the necklace.

"Goodnight, Neveah." I placed a soft kiss on her cheek.

For the next few days I watched Draco sneak around the halls. As discreet as he tried to be, he was easy to follow. And everyday he disappeared, a new bouquet of flowers rested in the vase beside her.

4.July.21

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

576K 8.8K 86
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
71.5K 1.6K 31
!Uploads daily! Max starts his first year at college. Everything goes well for him and his friends PJ and Bobby until he meets Bradley Uppercrust the...
1.3M 57.9K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
218K 7.6K 98
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...