Sign of the Times | Liam Dunb...

By f4brays

β€·β˜…π”°π”¦π”€π”« 𝔬𝔣 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔱𝔦π”ͺ𝔒𝔰 "I fell in a hole." "Yeah, I know. You pulled me down with you." β€’β€’β€’β€’β€’β€’ TEE... More

Sign of the Times
Back to the Future
New Kid
The Vixen
Wolf and the Fox
Killers on the Field
Wells and Anchors
Scared
Bonfires and Gasoline
Badass
A Good Something
Just Breathe
Temple of Doom
Coming Home
Gum Girl
Intense
The Language Trick
Kitsune DNA
Oblivious and Alone
You Have A Visitor
Oh Mercury
The Supermoon
Nemeton Hunters
Family Troubles
Charlie's Angles
All Over Again
Help A Friend
Not Like Us
Work with the Enemy
Broken Nose
Good Enough
Best Date Yet
Party Hour
Bullet Wounds
Radio Static
I Hate That Guy
Be Polite
Wake Up
Horseback Riding
Leave Your Mark
Not Alone
The Rat King
On Our Own
As Good As Us
I Can Heal You
Rumors
Clark Kent
Someone to Trust
Believable
Bloody Hands
The Anuk-ite
The Voice
Turned to Stone
Hiding Something
Doomsday
Part Two: The Movie
Phone Home
Old Friends
Reunited
Deja Vu
Stuck in Time
Fox Fire
A Question

The Little One

3K 133 139
By f4brays

Thunder rang throughout the town as Melanie and Scott stood on the lacrosse field after Scott practically yanked her out of bed to practice her lacrosse, leaving Liam who was sleeping beside her.

"Scott, what are we doing out here? It's 1am!" Melanie yelled, pulling her hair up into a high ponytail. Scott adjusted the lacrosse stick in his hands, looking up at the girl. "We gotta work on your back shots." Scott said, looking at Melanie with raised brows.

"Why?" Melanie asked and Scott smirked, pushing the heels of his feet deeper into the dirt. "Because they suck." Melanie looked at Scott in a fake shock, her jaw dropped as she glared. "What are you talking about?"

Scott's smirk grew wider, tossing Melanie a lacrosse stick which she quickly caught before turning back to him as he answered. "Your back shots. Which suck."

Melanie glared at the boy, digging her feet further into the dirt before scooping up the ball in her stick and running towards the goal. Before Scott could even notice what she was doing, Melanie launched the ball. She watched as it whizzed passed his head, making it into the goal.

Scott looked behind him at the ball with wide eyes before turning back to Melanie in shock; the girl having a cocky grin on her face. "I must've been thinking of someone else." Scott said, an almost proud smile on his face as he watched Melanie who straightened up with a big smile, shrugging her shoulders innocently. "Yeah. Someone else."

Suddenly, all the lights on the field turned off, making Melanie shriek out of surprise. After hearing Scott laugh at her, she rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. "Well, guess we have to go now."

"No, we don't." Scott said before his eyes glowed bright red. Melanie slowly started to smile, laughing and shaking her head slightly as she twirled the lacrosse stick in her hands. "Oh, this'll be awesome." Melanie muttered with a smirk, her fox eyes glowing bright green as she tightened her grip on her lacrosse stick before running towards the goal.

...

After practicing for around half an hour, Melanie felt a sense of worry fill her up. She didn't know why she felt it but she tried to shake it off until Scott stopped playing, smelling the worry radiating off of her.

"What's wrong?" Scott asked and Melanie's brows furrowed. "I don't know. I just feel like somethings wrong." Scott looked at Melanie in confusion before looking back towards the school. She watched as he head lifted before he turned back to Melanie with a worried look. "It's Mason and Corey."

Melanie's face fell, her and Scott dropping their lacrosse sticks and running towards the school. Melanie followed Scott as he traced back Mason and Coreys smell before they ended up at the doors of the library.

The pair threw the doors open and ran in before Corey and Mason popped out from behind a bookshelf with books in their hands as self defense weapons, screaming.

"Holy shit!" Melanie yelled, jumping backwards, about to fall before Scott caught her shoulders, steadying her. Mason and Corey calmed down when they realized it was only Scott and Melanie.

Both boys were panting as they pointed around them. "They were here. The ghost riders." Corey said out of breath and Mel's face dropped. Scott looked at the boys with wide eyes, looking around the library. "Here? Just now? I thought they left when the storm left." Scott yelled as Melanie felt herself tense. If they never left, will they still go after her?

Corey sighed, shaking his head as he looked around the library. "I guess not, because two of them were right up there." He said, pointing right above Scott and Melanie to the second floor platform.

Melanie turned around to look at where the Ghost Riders were before turning back to Corey and Mason. "What were they doing?" Mason shook his head, not knowing how to answer as he pointed between himself and Corey. "We didn't see when they came in. We only saw them when we turned invisible."

Both Scott and Melanie turned to Corey, making the Bryant boy grow awkward. He cleared his throat, looking at the ground before back up at Melanie and Scott. "Uh, they didn't seem to care about us. They, they walked right by us." Melanie's brows furrowed, her head shaking slightly. "Then what happened?"

Mason's face slowly started to resemble Melanie's before his pursed his lips, shaking his head as he shrugged. "Uh... then they just jumped down and left."

Scott rose his brows at the anti-climactic answer, almost shocked at what he had said. "That's it?" Mason looked at Corey, the two boys nodding silently in agreement before turning back to Scott. "Yeah." Mason said and Melanie felt a small tug of worry in her stomach, gulping slightly as she looked around the room, almost as if she could feel the Ghost Riders watching her. "They didn't take someone? There was nobody else in here?"

Mason looked at Melanie with dull and numb eyes before slowly shaking his head. "No." Mason swallowed the lump in his throat, shaking his head and looking between the three. "It was just us."

...

After being done with practice, Scott took Melanie back to their house where a now awake Liam sat on her bed, his leg bouncing with worry.

When Melanie walked into the room, he instantly ran towards her, engulfing her in a hug, lifting her up slightly as his face found its normal spot in the crook of her neck. Melanie let out a small laugh, wrapping her arms around Liam in return as he started to set her down.

"I woke up and you and Scott weren't home. I got worried and thought maybe something happ-" Melanie cut off Liams rambling, cupping his face and pulling him into a kiss. She felt him calm down at her touch and she slowly pulled away, rubbing her thumb across his cheek. Liams eyes started closed, taking in a relaxed breath as he smiled. "That made me feel better."

Melanie let out a small laugh at his words, giving him one more peck before pulling away and walking towards her vanity to brush her hair. "He wanted to take me to the school and practice my lacrosse. He said my back shots suck." Melanie said, sounding annoyed as she said her last sentence.

Liams face scrunched, moving to sit on Melanies bed as he looked at her as if what she was saying was crazy. "But you have the best back shots on the team." He said and Melanie laughed, nodding her head as she brushed her hair. "Exactly!" Melanie laughed out when she suddenly heard the faint sound of a horse neighing outside her window.

Melanie froze. Her breath hitched and her brows furrowed as she slowly placed her brush on the vanity and looked outside her window. Her face paled at the sight of a Ghost Rider on a horse on the sidewalk, staring up at her.

"Liam?" Melanie called out, her eyes glued outside the window at the Ghost Rider. "Yep?" Liam asked mindlessly, his focus on Melanie's wolf plush that she had made appear when they were first becoming friends. He was holding the stuffed wolfs hands, making it dance.

"There's a ghost rider outside my window." Melanie breathed out, making Liams head shoot up. "What?"

She could hear him walking towards her and Melanie's eyes went wide, shaking her head as she kept her eyes outside the window. "No! Don't come over. I don't want you to see them. You'll get taken to." Melanie said, putting her hand up to stop him from walking. She watched with wide eyes and shaky breaths as the Ghost Rider raised their gun, pointing it right at Melanie.

The girl felt as if time went in slo-mo as the bullet whizzed towards her. She bent down to hide under the windowsill so she wouldn't get shot just as the window shattered above her.

"Mel!" Liam yelled, running towards her and crouching down beside her. He looked at the girl in confusion, shaking his head slightly. "What happened?"

Melanie looked at Liam with wide, confused eyes before she sat up. She slowly looked up at her window and saw it undamaged as if nothing happened to it. She wobbled slightly as she stood up and Liam quickly shot up to help her the rest of the way.

She took small steps towards her window to see if the Ghost Rider was still there and felt her breath hitch in her throat at the man and the horse gone.

"Is the Ghost Rider still there?" Liam asked, watching the back of Melanie's head. The girl barely shook her head as she started to back up from the window, stumbling slightly.

Liam quickly caught Melanie under her arms. He looked at her with wide eyes before helping her sit down on her bed. He quickly crouched down in front of her as she stared ahead of her. "I saw them. I'm gonna get forgotten. You're all gonna forget me." Melanie mumbled.

Liam shook his head, rubbing her shoulders. "No one's gonna forget you." Liams words, as much as Melanie wanted to listen to them, went in one ear and out the other as her breathing quickened. She felt herself grow dizzy from loss of air as her fingertips started to tingle.

She started to twiddle her fingers and Liam instantly noticed that and her slight wobbling figure. He helped her lie down into her bed before crawling in after her from behind. He wrapped his arms around her waist, taking her hands in his owns and tapping his thumbs against the back of her hands to have her concentrate on something.

After a few seconds, Melanie squeezed his hands in hers before letting out a small whisper. "I'm scared." She said, her voice barely audible from her trying to hide its shakiness.

For the rest of the night, Liam kept his arms around Melanie, trying to calm her down every time he heard her rapid heartbeat and her swallow breaths by hugging her tighter anytime it got too bad or kissing her shoulder.

...

Melanie didn't show up to school the next day, too frightened from the night prior and as much as Liam pushed and begged to have him give her company, the girl declined his offers, making him trudge to lacrosse practice late, worried about her.

"Now that's what I'm talkin' about! That's how it's done! That is captain material!" Coach's voice echoed across the field as he watch Belle happily after she tackled a player twice her size.

Liam walked up to stand beside Coach tiredly, catching his and Scotts attention. "You're late." The two said before Coach frowned at Liam. "Which makes you not captain material. And where's the little one?! She's probably the best one I've got on this damn team and she's not here!" Coach yelled, referencing Melanie.

Liam looked up at Coach, trying to think of an excuse for Melanie before shaking his head, putting on his helmet. "Uh... Mental Health day I guess you could say."

Coach just rolled his eyes at Liam before putting his whistle in his mouth and blowing it right in the boys face. Liam jumped back slightly as the rest of the players stopped their practicing and circled around Coach and Scott.

"Thanks to McCall's selfish desire to focus on his 'grades' and his 'graduation,' we are leaderless. You want to be a champion, you wanna be a hero? Now's your shot." Coach said before clapping, making the teens disperse.

"All right, all you wannabe captains, I wanna see you guys tear each other apart!" Coach yelled. Belle snickered slightly before laughing louder at one of her teammates tackling Liam to the ground.

Coach rolled his eyes, bending down slightly to look at Liam as the boy that tackled him rolled off of him. "Definitely not captain material there, dumb-bar." Liam clenched his jaw at the Coaches words. "Dunbar." He grumbled and Coach tilted his head. "Yeah. That's what I said."

Liam rolled his eyes, side eyeing the man. "You said dumb-bar." Coach raised his brows at Liams attitude, pointing at him as he straightened up and laughed. "And your mouth just bought you equipment duty." He said before turning to walk away.

As he walked, he pointed at Belle, making her straighten up. "You. Parker. Make sure the little one shows up to the next practice. I don't know what the hell a 'mental health day' is, but I don't want her doing them anymore." Coach yelled and Belle, not wanting to get on his bad side like Liam had, nodded. "Yes, Coach.

...

After school, Corey came by Melanie's house, asking her to come to the school with him and every time she tried to ask why, the boy would ignore her question, only saying, "It's important"

The pair stood just outside the school doors when they heard someone walk towards them from behind them. They turned around and watched as Liam came towards them.

Corey gave Liam a small smile, putting his hands in his pockets awkwardly. "I just wanted to tell you... That I was wrong. I thought we could hate each other and it wouldn't matter. But it does matter. It matters to Mason. And he matters to both of us." Corey said. Liam nodded, taking a small step towards Corey. "I'm not trying to come between you."

"And neither am I." Corey quickly added before he shook his head. "But if we keep up like this, he might feel like he has to choose."

Liam nodded understandingly before his face scrunched in confusion at Mel a few steps behind Corey. "Why did you bring my girlfriend?" Liam asked Corey before turning to Melanie. "Why are you here?" Liam asked Mel with a scrunched face who just shrugged.

"Uh... I'm still not fully clear on that yet either." Melanie, making both her and Liam instantly turn to Corey. The boy swallowed the lump in his throat, looking back and forth between the two. "Uh... I was worried you'd attack me. I didn't think you would with Mel here and when I tell you, we could work together. Maybe we could find something together."

Melanie snickered at Corey los answer as Liam rolled his eyes. "Yeah, like what?"

"Like a trace of them." Corey said and Melanie's eyes went wide. "A ghost rider." She breathed out, making Corey nod. He held his hand out for the two and Meanie instantly grabbed it.

Both her and Corey turned to Liam when they noticed he hadn't moved. Corey sighed, rolling his eyes slightly as he looked at Liam, "You want to do this? Hold my hand."

Liam looked at Corey for a few seconds before sighing, grabbing his hand. Once both Liam and Melanie were holding his hands, he closed his eyes and turned the three of them invisible.

Melanie watched in awe as her vision started to go green as if she were using her fox eyes. "Wow." She whispered, a small laugh escaping her lips.

Corey smiled at the to teens shocked faces before squeezing both of their hands, looking back and forth between them. "You guys ready?" At the question, Melanie turned to Corey, nodding happily, making him and Liam laugh before they started making their way towards the library.

The door of the library creaked up as Melanie pushed it. She turned to the two boys, both of them nodding, making her sigh, walking in.

"Do you even know what we're looking for?" Liam asked, looking around the library. Melanie let out a tired sigh, her shoulders rising and falling slightly. "If it's a book, we'll be here a while."

The three walked into the library more and looked around for anything that didn't seem like it should be there when Liam spoke. "Do you see that?" He asked, his face scrunched slightly as he used his hand that wasn't holding Coreys to point to the second floor. Melanie and Corey looked up to where Liam was pointing and saw a small white card but neither of them could tell what it was from far away.

Corey shook his hands out of Melanie and Liams grip, the two of them becoming visible again as he spoke. "Do you still see the card?"

Melanie and Liam both shook their heads as Melanie turned her head to the last place she heard Coreys voice. "No. It's gone."

The couple could hear footsteps around them before the sound traveled up the stairs. After a few seconds, Corey appeared on the second floor, holding the card. "Can you see it now?"

Melanie smiled in awe at Coreys abilities as Liam nodded. "Yeah. I can."

...

"It's just like in physics. It wasn't there until you saw it. Then it became real. It's Schrödinger's cat." Mason said once he and Belle got to the school after Corey, Melanie and Liam called them over. Melanie smiled, glad that Mason thought the same thing she did, nodding.

"The quantum state of a superposition." Melanie mumbled in shock and Mason smiled, nodding along. "To see something is to change its very existence. It changed reality."

"I still don't get it." Corey mumbled and Mason shook his head, scoffing out a laugh slightly. "What do you think it is? It looks like a library card. Except its blank." Mason said, flipping the card around in confusion. Liam squinted at the card, noticing it had a barcode and he quickly shook his head, walking towards Mason.

"No, it's not." Liam said determinedly, taking the blank ID out of Masons hands. He hopped over the librarians desk and scanned the card against the computer. The computer flashed for a few seconds before a single photo of a boy and his name came up. Jake Sullivan.

As soon as they saw the photo of the boy, memories of him started to flood back into their brains; all of them now huddled around the computer to look at the screen.

"Jake Sullivan. He was in the physics lab last night. I completely forgot about him." Mason said, straightening up. Melanie looked at the screen in shock, shaking her head. "Me too. We have Spanish together."

"They erased him." Belle mumbled and Melanie felt her heart drop. Her chest tightened as she stepped away from the computer, looking at her friends with wide eyes. "I saw them." Melanie whispered, making everyones heads shoot up, turning to her.

"What?" Belle asked, standing up straighter. Melanie felt her throat close slightly. She tried to swallow to calm herself down as she took a deep breath, shaking her head at Belle. "I- I saw them. The ghost riders. They're coming for me."

Watching her friends and boyfriends faces fall made her heart sink more. She bit her lip to hide it from trembling before she spoke again. "I don't want what happened to Jake to happen to me."

—*cries*
I'M SORRY DONT KILL ME
*finger hearts*

ANYWAY I WANTED MORE SCOTT AND MEL BEFORE... YK
AND MEL AND COREY>>>my life

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 177 10
π€ππ“πˆ-π‡π„π‘πŽ - dj henderson, sister to dustin henderson and designated babysitter to the party battles between the thing that took will byers...
301K 7.5K 21
SinΒ·isΒ·ter /ˈsinistΙ™r/ Adjective; giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen. Sinister [Season 5a] Copyright Β©...
85K 1.4K 19
What happens when Dean, and Sam Winchester find out they have a sister who isn't exactly human, and has a lot of secrets
226K 4.9K 46
𝒐. in which daphne hopper realises battling feelings for her best friend steve harrington is harder than battling monstrous conspiracies ...