A Worthy Opponent (HunterxHun...

Per Malia_hxh

Raine goes on an adventure to a deadly jungle with mythical beasts to get revenge on a former Spider who dest... Més

Intro
Chapter 1: A Sense of Heart (PART I)
Chapter 2: A Funny Feeling
Bonus Scene
Chapter 3: A Magic Duel
Chapter 4: Aftermath
Chapter 5: A Night Out
Chapter 6: How to Instigate
Chapter 7: The Meet Up
Chapter 8: A Coincidence
Chapter 9: A River's Edge
Chapter 10: Forbidden Fruit
Chapter 12: A Fair Game
Chapter 13: Shezun City (PART II)
Chapter 14: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 15: Bloodlust
Chapter 15 Bloodlust pt. 2
Chapter 16: The Jungle Members
Chapter 17: A Night at the Circus
Chapter 18: Showtime
Chapter 19: Showdown
Chapter 20: A Glass Wall
Chapter 21: The Jujib Jungle (PART III)
Chapter 22: Dangerous Secrets
Chapter 23: A Broken Wall
Chapter 24: Red Eyes
Chapter 25: A Cold Shower
Chapter 26: An Animal's Aura
Chapter 27: A Warm Fire
Chapter 28: The Silent Hunter
Chapter 29: A Friendly Encounter
Chapter 30: A New Perspective
Chapter 31: A Spider's Lair
Chapter 32: A Win for a Loss
Chapter 33: The Jujib Village (PART IV)
Chapter 34: A Heist
Chapter 35: An Escape
Chapter 36: A Dead End
Chapter 37: The Warden: Part 1
Chapter 38: The Warden: Part 2
Chapter 39: Riv
Chapter 40: Unleashed Emotions
Chapter 41: A Secret Plan
Chapter 42: A True Enemy
Chapter 43: The Break In
Chapter 44: The Chief
Chapter 45: A Grand Opening
Chapter 46: Sharp Ends
Chapter 47: Surrender it All
Chapter 48: A Thread of Courage
Chapter 49: Swallow Your Pride
Chapter 50: Take Charge
Chapter 51: Under Pressure
Chapter 52: Let Your Guard Down
Chapter 53: Fear of Unknown
Chapter 54: Learn and Let Go
Chapter 55: An Unfathomed Bond
Chapter 56: Red as the Blood Moon
Author's Note

Chapter 11: An Evening Flight

108 4 2
Per Malia_hxh

I rubbed my eyes sitting up. Dawn was at its peak. Sunlight spilled over my face. The ambiance shook my senses, waking me up. I realized I still had a blanket around me. My pants hung from a branch and I quickly dressed before everyone shrouded together. Bisky got up and chuckled beside me, noticing the panic in my eyes. But Hisoka and Illumi weren't there.

Maybe they're at the river.

I found Kurapika sitting on a tree above me. He also seemed to be taking in the view.

"Thanks for the blanket," I told Kurapika who landed beside me. "The material was so realistic despite being created from Nen."

"In my free time, I realized how convenient it was to be able to create regular objects. I took my time feeling different materials and memorizing them with my senses. I still do every now and then."

I pondered his words for a moment, wondering how much skill it took until I heard footsteps trudging closer and turned around to find Hisoka and Illumi walking towards us from the lake. Their auras gloomed with a heavy atmosphere. Muddy shades manifested like clogged pain. I didn't bother stuffing my frown. Hisoka's aura had been disoriented lately. It almost bothered me how pressuring it was, but it was good practice for me to constantly endure it. Otherwise, I didn't know how to address it. That man was complicated on the inside, but that only made me want to break it down and understand. My abilities...

I'll think about it later.

He noticed my stare but I took my time leaving his gaze.

"Let's go," Kurapika said.

And with that, we ran as the sun flew over our heads.

The sun beat over our heads harsher today than it had yesterday. By the time we reached the town, sweat-drenched down all our bodies. The beams blazed mercilessly with no clouds to shield us. The thing I noticed when we arrived at the town was how small it was. Just enough buildings to even call it one. Houses and stores were stuck next to each other, roads were made of light brown bricks, and the number of people planted in the area was significantly small to the busy streets back in the city. Fishing boats crowded the shore and a giant airship sat near the docks. Our ride to the city. It stuck out the most because of how developed it was built, not matching the town's architecture.

"There should be water on the airship," Kurapika pointed out, noticing our exhaustion.

"I can't wait to shower!" Bisky sulked wiping her forehead. "This lady needs her bubble baths."

I laughed in agreement. As we made our way towards the ship, I realized it was actually much, much bigger than I thought.

"Woah..." I whispered in awe. The high-rise ship was layered with many windows, revealing endless floors lining the length of the sides. We stepped on board and the captain greeted us. Frigid air-conditioned temperatures blasted my face. We all showed him our Hunter's License and he nodded his head acknowledging our achievements. I only smiled because this was the opposite reaction Gunther gave me. I gazed to the floor already missing him. He was most definitely responsible for 40% of my self-confidence.

The interior was jaw-dropping...at least to me as the tour guide escorted us around. My eyes teared up from not blinking, struck by the lucrative designs and variety of foods available. The number of venues that fit in this flying air balloon was too bizarre to comprehend. I practically gasped around every corner, earning giggles from Bisky. There was a bar, a pool, mini-stores, a bakery, a gym, and more. I found myself wandering back to the baker who was beating dough. A heated oven left scents of something sweet-smelling that drew me in.

Dad would go crazy if he smelled this!

"Raine! There you are," Bisky said grabbing my arm, dragging me back to the group. "He's showing us to the rooms now." Hisoka stood crossing his arms, chuckling.

Oops.

But the best part of the ship was the windows. They filled up most of the walls and I constantly fought the urge to roam towards them. I couldn't wait to see the view over the ocean. Although, I did feel a bit ridiculous because no one else was getting as excited.

"Here is where you will be staying. Each of your rooms contains a bathroom, a king-sized bed, a TV, a closet, and a mini kitchen." He stood by the doorway opening a room which Bisky was first to claim. I followed in after her. The guide gave each of us our room cards as well as room numbers. All of us neighboring each other. "We will arrive in Shezun city by tomorrow morning. The ship takes off in 20 minutes," he finished then left promptly.

The boys head to their rooms but Bisky grabbed my arm before I left to mine. "You know what we should do tonight?" She asked excitedly. My eyes widened in surprise when I saw what she was going to say.

"A bar?" I hesitantly questioned.

"Yes! And stop doing that- but watching you bowl over the ship, my dear I need to teach you a thing or two about fun."

I didn't know if I wanted to have fun. Or maybe my type of fun was different from this. I was always satisfied running through the woods or venturing off somewhere alone. But as of right now, I held certain things in the back of my mind. I crossed my arms unsure. "It feels weird to relax when we're on a mission. I feel like I should be training or resting during my free time," I said sulking my shoulders.

Though I wouldn't mind exploring this place a bit more...

"Okay, how about we do more training when we get to the city. I'll help you practice your targeting and projectile skills. We'll cover more Nen techniques and continue getting intel on the man. Also, resting is a part of training. We'll pick up everything tomorrow."

She's right...maybe I should give it a try.

I wasn't used to being drawn out to have fun. Everything was on my own schedule, isolated and limited. I rubbed my arm and huffed. What good was it to pass up these opportunities? "Okay, let's do it!" I agreed.

"Perfect!"

"BUT, I want Kurapika to join," I quickly added. His aura was also poking at my head. His determination had matched mine and it only felt right to include him too. "It bet he could also use some time to be in the moment with us."

"Sure, here's what will happen. You can go shower and rest for the day and I'll pick up a dress for us. I'll also let Kurapika know about tonight."

Another warm feeling comforted my skin. Here her motherly aura, a rosy pink color softened my own. My heart fluttered lighter, the same feeling with Gunther. Were people this kind out here? Was this what it was like to make a friend? Her aura, her own emotions...made me so happy.

"Th-thank you," I flushed, unsure how to return the favor before heading to my room. I immediately took off my clothes and hopped in the shower. My feet were sore from running but I was used to that pain. Still, I couldn't ignore the fatigue inside and constant thoughts of the future. And now, someone noticed and asked me to relax. Just like father.

I sighed looking down at the floor, letting the shower pelt my head.

I need to watch out for him, my thoughts dug up what I've been suppressing. Hisoka.

After being around him for the past 24 hours, I realized something. Hisoka was indeed stronger than me. A prodigy in his skills to adapt. That's why his aura had never been hesitant. It's what I saw in the election. An underlying passion to kill because he thought himself to be the strongest. The intensity of it was too packed to break down. And I needed to keep him at bay.

He must know already.

As for me...my strength has never been to overpower my opponent because my power lies in the ability to change the outcome.

So what can I do about him?

I wiped my face and ran my fingers through my hair. The shower's mist steamed off my skin. I tensed my eyebrows conflicted with my own thoughts crisscrossing each other. My head pounded with unanswered questions.

It was hard to think of Hisoka as an opponent now. His aura was dark but underneath, there were specks of many different colors. Flirtatious, hunger, curiosity, pleasure. The more I thought about him, the more I saw it as an opportunity. If I could break him down, I could find his weaknesses, changing the outcome. And if it worked...maybe I could do the same to Riv.

Emotions were so intricate, complex. They were difficult to control and defined us as individual humans. Driving us to serve a purpose. I had to play my cards right because no one else has this power. I let out a breath, pressing my forehead on the wall.

But one thing's for sure. Once I give in, it'll only get messy from here...

*Knock Knock*

I awoke from a nap, only a towel covering me from when I plopped asleep after the shower. I creaked the door to find Bisky handing me a dress and shoes.

"Thank you. Again. Um...what time do you want to meet? Wait what time is it?" I asked fumbling with the silked garment. Part of me was afraid I'd ruin it as I did with Gunther's dress.

She laughed. My eyes were barely open, still waking up. "It's past seven Raine, you must be hungry."

My eyes widened, "SEVEN?"

"You are too funny. We'll meet at the bar in 30, Kurapika will be there too." She closed the door without a word.

Where would I be without her?

I laid the dress on the bed. Its long-sleeved mini black dress but yet another deep v-neck. This one felt more sophisticated yet casual. With it, a pair of black heels laced up my calves, and to top it off, the bathroom luckily came with a brush in the drawer and I tied my hair up in a messy bun.

Well... this is the best I can do, I thought glancing at the mirror.

*GROWL*

I made my way to the bar trying not to trip, though I may have taken a few detours...getting lost at some point. Soon enough, I found Bisky sitting at a high counter table. The room was more of a casino than a bar. People were playing poker, card games, and pool in the room.

"You're turning some heads did you know?" Bisky smirked eyeing the men behind me. "Also, you missed it, the bartender didn't believe my age, even when I showed him my ID and Hunters License, so I had to transform." I glanced at the bartender who eyed her with fear. His aura was even trembling. "Serves him right!" She pouted with arms crossed.

I smiled. "I think the guys are looking at you then. Anyways, I kind of just want a sandwich really quick."

"I'm already ahead of you." She tossed me a wrap and I caught it stunned.

"You're sure you can't read emotions either?" I asked. The smell of the food already sent me in bliss. "Oh, where's Kurapika?" I said studying the sandwich.

"He's over by the window. I'll join you in a second."

I nodded and made my way over to Kurapika. "Thank you for coming out here," I said. "Rest is a part of training. Bisky told me so." I joined him at a seat that faced the large window screens.

He rested his elbows over the counter in a black and white suit. His blonde hair dangled comfortably over his eyes. Hatred naturally hovered on the surface. Still, he smiled, "yeah she convinced me."

"Woah..." I groaned stuffing my face with the wrap. "Mmmmmmm. This is so good! Have you tried it?" I said a bit too loud.

"A turkey sandwich?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I-

My heart pounded, I stopped chewing. "T-turkey?" My gaze slowly fell to the wrap, placing it on the table, then slid it away. My throat caved afraid to swallow. "I'm a pescatarian..." I croaked solemnly. I let the chunks fall out of my mouth into a napkin and pushed that away as well before burying my face in my hands, flooding with guilt. "I'm a horrible person. I accidentally liked it."

But Kurapika covered his mouth stifling a laugh. A genuine laugh. With everything going on with him, his sudden upbeat aura lifted my head in an instant. I looked at him, taking in his emotions and state of mind.

"Your aura is very gentle," I said aloud, forgetting my grief.

He tilted his head confused and I gave him a brief explanation of my powers and explained the soft yellows illuminating from his shoulders.

"You know," he started. "You sound like a friend back at home. Her name is Melody. She kind of told me the same thing...my own heartbeat giving away my feelings. She helped me with the Phantom Troupe when my hatred got out of hand."

"She sounds sweet. I'd like to meet her one day then," I said downing water. Kurapika was clearly not the type to open up so it was a personal victory point to hear that from him. I set down the glass of water remembering something, then lowered my voice, filling him in about my foresight and how I could detect lies.

He was taken aback before closing his eyes in deep thought. "That explains a lot when I saw you sparring with Bisky and when you never questioned Hisoka."

"Bisky is aware. Illumi and Hisoka aren't but I have a feeling they're on the verge of figuring it out," I cupped my water seeing if I could catch the ice melting.

"You don't want them to know your ability?"

"It might not matter anymore but Hisoka might use it against me. I just have that gut feeling that it's best if he keeps questioning things for now."

"He's been watching you," he said blatantly.

"Yes, his aura is very...noticeable." I sipped the water again.

"Well, speak of the devil."

We turned towards the entrance and in walked Hisoka and Illumi. I immediately spun back around to face the window when we made sudden eye contact. His aura was again, the most rambunctious in the room. And Illumi didn't make it any better. The people around them even felt it, and they didn't know anything about Nen or who they were.

No, I'm here to relax tonight, I let out a breath.

"How about we play a game of pool?" Kurapika suggested noticing my discomfort.

I eyed the tables full of clicking balls. Cheers erupted as someone knocked one in a hole. "I don't know how but sure."

We headed over to a table. As Kurapika taught me the rules, I could feel Hisoka's stare again in the back of my head. Blood lust slipped out while pressuring tension swarmed his side of the room. My skin tingled, unsettled, more sensitive than Bisky and Kurapika would understand.

But I continued playing within the moment in which Bisky later joined us, having a showdown between her and Kurapika. My focus finally tuned into the present and I ended up having fun.

-

Hisoka sauntered into the casino with Illumi. And it was Raine's aura that instantly caught his eye. She noticeably whipped her head around to avoid his gaze, causing him to chuckle. Her hair could easily be recognized within a crowd. Despite it being tied up, it was still sticking out in places that made it look like she had just taken a nap. But it was a unique texture that reflected her free spirit.

Illumi cleared his throat. "A drink perhaps?"

"Of course~" They sat at the bar ordering drinks. Although a high-class man, Hisoka ordered water, making sure to tune into the progress Raine made.

"My target Porter will be in Shezun city, so I'll disappear for a few days once we get there."

"What a shame, I was hoping to continue our little trip together~"

"Don't worry. I'll see if I can get some information from him about Jujib. There's also a plant I need, only found in that jungle. It'll help me keep an eye on Killua."

"Ah~" Hisoka eyes scanned the crowd, rummaging through potential opponents.

"Also," Illumi continued, "Did you notice Raine's habit of deep breathing?" At that note, Hisoka perked his head back to Illumi. "It's an indication of troubled self-control. I doubt she knows how to maximize her potential yet. But it still intrigues me how she'll handle the former Spider. In no way can I see her take a life. Revenge doesn't suit her."

"So you are saying...." Hisoka leaned into his hands over the counter.

"I wouldn't expect a battle with her, but I would still be careful. Those eyes are too familiar, and quite troublesome. She might even be more reckless than you."

Hisoka closed his eyes in acceptance, "How strange. Maybe that's what makes her unpredictable~"

Illumi sipped his drink, letting Hisoka drown in his pleasures. There was an understanding they had dealing with their own issues. Madmen- mad murderers they were. Both indulged in some sort of unusual obsession. The main difference was that Hisoka was not bound to this world and couldn't care for self-less acts. In contrast, Illumi might have been an assassin, but he had a family, rules to abide by, which includes protecting his siblings to uphold the Zoldyck superiority.
But Hisoka...he was on his own.

Hisoka's eyes flickered towards tension from a few men surrounding the pool table with Kurapika and Raine. Raine was bending over the table to focus her play on the ball, ignorant to the drunks peaking under her dress.

Hisoka recognized them as a bunch of pesky animals taking interest in his prey. And come to think of it, he would enjoy seeing their throats slit. He flaunted a card between his fingers, the Ace of Spades. Bloodlust gurgled through his veins, ready to explode.

How many victims...

Hisoka counted the men.

1...2....3...4~

His eyes widened in the thrill of his plan, not a care in the world of the scene he was about to make. He licked his card and reeled his wrist.

*THUD*

An ache jutted his brain as a cold substance landed in his lap. A piece of an ice cube knocked him in the head. He turned toward the source to find Bisky sitting at the bar down the line, glaring at him. "Behave," she mouthed.

Illumi scoffed noticing the misplay, while Hisoka simply smiled back amused. "It looks like I will finish them on my own time. I have a sudden urge to go for a midnight hunt~" He stood and left the room.

-

-

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

11K 258 20
Illumi x Female Reader There's a time in our lives when we're willing to go mad for the person we love. We question if it's the right thing, and th...
47.2K 1.6K 26
This is a sequel to Try To Take Her Away From Me. They drove her away. The time has come for a victor to rise. Who will emerge from the smoke and dus...
130K 3.4K 22
"Why in Mother Nature's sweet sweet name am I at a circus?" I thought. "Oh right. I'm gonna be training with a clown today." I said out loud dejected...
755K 21.6K 50
♡1ST in Hunter X Hunter Wattys |Hisoka|♡ During a heist of the Hanuka mansion, the Phantom Troupe finds a girl with no memories. She knows n...