Za'afar

By maryamahhh18

Za'afar was a man of his words, never afraid of a challenge, always being at the peak in almost everything, h... More

........
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi

xvii

276 40 2
By maryamahhh18

Zainab neatly placed the folded clothes in the wardrobe, with nothing else to do it seems like a nice idea.

A smile broke her lips as she thought about the brief conversation she had with Uzair, it didn't last long like she hoped but they talked nonetheless.

The smile vanished with the intruder to her room.

"Ki shirya yanzu zamu fita" the woman only glared at zainab before going out.

This woman was suppose to be my mother, she thought.

She quickly drape her veil on her head and head out because she dare not waste a single second.

She was out before her mother as she waited by the car.

Malam Garba was set ready to go.

"Ina wuni malam Garba" she greeted as she sat in the car.

"Lafiya kalau yar mama" he gave a wide smile with his two missing front tooth.

She doubt she's yar mama anymore, she gave a solemn smile.

The door clicked open and Hajiya Rafi'a made her entrance.

"Let's go"

Mama ordered malam Garba and we made our way out of the Yahaya Garko residence.

She ignored me and I did the same because even if I were to spike a conversation am going to regret opening my mouth in the first place.

Our relationship wasn't strain like this, I remember when I was the love of her life and she was mine but that all changes when I made the biggest mistake of my life and everything take a turn.

The whole house is against me now, except my brother who still believes it's not my fault but even I don't believe it's true.

I am the only girl in the mist of 5 boys so that makes me to be very close to my mother.

The car came to a halt breaking me out of my thoughts.

My mother stepped out and I take it as a cue to do the same.

My mom walk forward and I tail behind.

The door was opened by rabi'a the housemaid.

We were then issued into the living room where we met hajiya Sa'adatu and on seeing us she raised and welcome us with a hug, which was the usual, even before I started seeing uzair.

She walked with poise and elegance and for the first time in ages I felt self conscious.

How am I to keep up with her if am to be her future daughter in-law.

"Sannun Ku da zuwa"

My mum answered with the widest smile.

Pleasantries were exchanged and we sat on the plush chairs.

"Rabi'a a kawo musu ruwa" hajiya sa'adatu called to the girl.

She engaged my mum in the usual small talk as I sat silently.

Few minutes gone by and Rabi'a was back with the refreshments and snacks.

"It's unfortunate that uzair isn't home right now but am sure he will be back any moment"

"Ai ba komai, Allah ya kawo shi" mama replied.

"Zainab I hope I have made the right choice for you"

I was startled by the intrusion to my thoughts, the question both surprised and embarrass me at the same time.

Hajiya sa'adatu kept her gaze at me waiting for an answer.

So technically my future mother in-law is asking me whether I like her son or not.

I looked to my mum for an escape, and she gave a look that dared me to say otherwise.

Isn't this the part where your mum put the widest smile of all and say 'yes there is no problem at all is like they were made for each other' , but she was quite too.

So with a forced smile I gave Uzair's mother my answer.

"Yes, you have" but my mum still have that indifferent look at me "thank you" I added

Because mama never failed to remind me that this was a favour  done to me.

She threw me a glare and face hajiya sa'adatu.

"Glad to hear that" hajiya sa'adatu answered.

"So rafi'a what's our progress then?"

As if nothing happened mum was back to her cheerful self and the two friends continue their chit chat.

"Uhm, excuse me I want to use the bathroom"I said.

"Go ahead"

Glad that I came up with that fake excuse, I quickly bolt out.

I breath a sign of relief, the atmosphere was suffocating and I felt it's inappropriate for me to listen on to their conversation.

I aimlessly roam about until I find myself in the gardens.

The fresh air was soothing and I sat on the brick chair close to the roses.

The silence was calm and serene until I heard a rustle.

"who's there"

I walked to the sound's source and I found a cat.

I didn't know hajiya sa'adatu has a cat.

"Oh, hi" a surprised Rabi'a said.

That's when I noticed her coming out of the kitchen back door.

"Rabi'a ya kike" I asked stroking the cat's brown fur, am quite stunned it allowed me.

"I didn't know where it came from but am guessing the neighbours" Rabi'a replied putting down the bowl of milk I just noticed.

"That's more like it, because i knew this house doesn't harbour cats"

I watched as the cat lick from the milk ignoring us all.

"I found it one night as it chatters around, and I thought maybe it's hungry, I offered it milk and it's been coming ever since" she smiled "I name it browny, because of its colour"

I smiled at the name.

"But aren't you scared, it's a stray cat after all because you're not sure where it came from"

But you're the one that touched it first, and you thought Rabi'a was reckless for feeding it.

"Nah, I don't think browny is dangerous" she shrugged.

"If you said so"

The cat purrs and rubs itself around her legs.

She bend down to pick the empty bowl and I watch her neckless dangled from her neck with the initials 'H' in a very cursive style with little gold beads around it, and a golden chain, it looks pretty expensive and for a house, maid, where did she get it.

"I like your neckless"

"Oh" she was stunned because she didn't realize it was out "thank you" she smiled putting it back inside her shirt.

"Where did you get it"

Stop prying zainab it's not good.

"My....my mum gave it to me" she gave a nervous smile "it's what i only have of her" she replied with a sad far away look.

I felt guilty for asking.

"Am so sorry I shouldn't have asked"

"It's OK, it's been two years already"

"Allah ya jikan ta"

"Ameen" she answered "thank you" she smiled.

I smiled back and she walked away.

I don't want to think about it because she seems like a nice girl, but then again looks can be deceiving.

The idea comes and I ponder on it though I shouldn't because you don't judge a book by its cover, but just a thought that cross my mind, is she telling the truth or not, because she seems nervous when I asked her where she got the neckless.

Did she stole it.

Nah, I shouldn't judge too soon besides it's the third time I met the girl and this is the highest words we've exchange so far.

But if she did stole it, from where might it be, no one has the initials H in this house.

This is pointless, I sigh.

Whatever the case, it's none of my business.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Maryam was discharged from the hospital two days later.

Anti hafsah has been by her side, given that she was the one that stayed with her.

She was reluctant to go back to the empty shell of a house.

I wish I could go back home, she thought.

When she sign up for this marriage she didn't thought she will suffer this much.

Maybe she could have run away then all this wouldn't have happen.

She wouldn't have met him.

But then again running away comes with it's own consequences.

She has loss a lot of weight, her mind is all jumbled up but the worst of it all.......she still loves him.

She missed her mum and sisters a lot.

But her father..... She hates him more, he's the one that get her into this mess in the first place.

She kept twirling the spoon as the soup gets cold.

Nowadays she's more in her thoughts.

"Maryam eat up, it's getting cold"

"Am not hungry anymore anti hafsah" she mumbled.

"Yes you are, look at you all skin and bones you ought to get something in your stomach" she scolded.

"Am not hungry" she pushed the bowl away.

She sigh and sat on the stool beside her.

"You see, this world if all full of tests, one after the other, mankind never rest until he's dead, and since you're not dead you will never rest maryam" she put a hand on my shoulder to comfort me "Allah tests the ones he love the most.....this is a test maryam,Allah wants you closer to him, and so he tests you because he wants you to call out to him, and when you surely do, everything will be easier, everything will fall into place, Allah is always there, call to him and he will surely answer you, ask him and he will give you.....pray to Allah maryam, pray hard with a sincere heart and he will surely heal you"

"Shhh, don't cry my child, it's going to be OK" she put her head to her shoulder.

She didn't know she was already crying

Her words cut deep, in the mist of everything she forget about the greatness of Allah, of how he can completely change your situation for the better no matter how bad it is.

She cried harder feeling guilty, she shouldn't have forget Allah's mercy, but she did....ya Allah forgive me, she thought.

And she vowed to herself 'am going to call out to  Allah, and I know he will answer me, maybe not at the time I wanted but at the time he sees is best for me, because Allah wants the best for all of us'.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I haven't heard from kawu lawan in a week, trying to absorb the kind of treachery played on his daughter, because it seems it was a person really close to her, or someone has been keeping a keen observation on her.

But it make more sense for it to be someone close to her.

My mind has been a jungle of thoughts ever since the new found information.

Ummaru is of no use now then, but I will still keep him until I get the hang of it all.

Maryam has been home and not once has she looked for me, which I was glad for.

A knock to my study made broke my chain of thoughts.

"Who is it"

"It's me, maryam"

Guess I was to quick to be glad.

"Come in"

She first peeped inside before the whole of her came into view.

"What is it" I barked.

She looked timid as usual.

"Speak up, I didn't have all day"

She cleared her throat first.

"I was wondering if....if you will allow me to go visit my mum tomorrow"

It take a lot of control to not bash at her because seeing her in the condition that land her in the hospital, I have decided to be a little civil with her.

"No"

Was my clip reply.

She looked like she will object but nevertheless kept quite at my stern look.

"OK" she answered before walking to the door.

Can't she walk any faster, I groaned.

At last my door was shut and I get back to my thoughts.

First thing's first, I have to know all of Hanan's friends.

Which will be so easy because she's not good at making friends, sometimes maryam's meek behavior reminds me a little of her.

I decide to make a quick call.

"Kamal"

"Yes sir"

"I need you to get the digits of Amal zubair, hanan's friend"

"OK sir, am on it"

"I need it tomorrow"

"I will send it to you ASAP"

"Good"

I put the phone down when another knock came through.

For goodness sake it's only three of us in the house, can't a man have his rest in his own house.

"What!!"

"Uhm....hajja is downstairs waiting for you" said hafsah

"Hajja?" She didn't tell me she was coming.

"Tell her am coming"

Heyyyy guys so sorry for showing up late I wanted to update so fast these holidays unfortunately I haven't been feeling so good but Alhamdulillah am getting better hope you will bear with me😁

Please don't forget to vote comment and share like always lovelies 😍😍😘

Love you all

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 14.2K 73
"So what are you doing in our house dingy girl?" He asked her coldly. "It's none of your business and please stop calling me dingy girl" She replied...
588K 28.9K 59
COMPLETED!✔🔱✅ "Don't worry little one there is no one here to save you from me, you don't know how desperately I have waited for this moment," he sa...
650K 10.8K 14
On the verge of tears, she smiled. ~~~~~ "I have noticed a thing about you; you don't like being treated like a lady. You prefer being treated with...
19K 2.3K 36
Being an unexperienced, timid and young girl from a poor family and having to shoulder all responsibilities against her wish, Layla found herself li...