Sugar, Spice and a pinch of F...

By PaigeDaniels

Jessica Aubry is your typical 17 year-old high school student. She goes to school and has to deal with troubl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Sneak peek
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
FAQs and My Replies
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Vote for the Cast! :))
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Facebook Page
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52 (The End?)
Chapter 53 (Epilogue)
Author's Note
Sneak Peak
The Sequel!
Editing
Review

Chapter 11

32.8K 267 8
By PaigeDaniels

---------- Chapter 11 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “Jessica?” my mother screeches from the downstairs. I’m so tempted not to answer. Maybe I could fake passing out or something? “Jessica!” another shriek. Maybe it’s important?

               “Yes?” I call back, internally kicking myself for being so weak.

I hate this place! I really, really hate this place! I used to think moving to a new school every six months was hell. Living here makes all the moving seem like a walk in a park!

               “Get down here! You have a visitor!” the vile lady commands.

Seriously? A visitor? Yeah, right! One week ago, I was expecting visitors; my boys. But they blew me off and just disappeared. I’m pretty sure that woman just wants me to come down so she can make me clean something up.

It’s like I’m the maid here! I’m treated sub-human!

What was Haden thinking? He couldn’t hate me so much to actually send me here, could he? There’s no way in hell these people are my family...no way! So why did Haden lie to me?

               “Are  you deaf, girl?! Get down here!” that same screech again.

               “I’m coming!” I holler back, casting a longing glance at the comfort of my room.

It’s basically a not-so-glorified closet. I have a tiny little bed, an even tinier table and no closet. Yup, and that pretty much makes up my room. But it’s safer in there and anywhere else in this house.

I walk down the stairs slowly and into the living room. My mother, Mrs Gertrude Daniels, stands at the door, beside an awkward looking Reid.

I stand shocked. How could Reid have found me?

               “Hey,” he murmurs after a heart beat.

               “Hi,” I mumble back.

Gertrude shakes her head in annoyance and stalks off to the kitchen, no doubt preparing some form of torture in there for me.

               “I followed you,” Reid admits after a moment. And I just nod my head in acknowledgement.

               “Don’t you want to know why?” he asks, seeming a little irked.

               “I’m guessing you’re going to tell me anyway,” I retort softly.

               “Yeah, you’re right,” he grins sweetly before sobering down. “Can we go up to  your room to talk? You know, in private?” he asks.

               “Yeah, sure,” I answer, leading him up the stairs into my little room.

               “This is your room?” he asks incredulously.

               “Uh huh. Expecting something else?” I ask.

               “Kind of. I always factored you as the girl who lived in the lap of luxury. Probably a huge king-sized bed, silk sheets, big airy room, huge wardrobe, expensive carpet, joint bathroom...you know the drill,” he murmurs, looking around my room.

               “Yeah, that was what my room used to be like,” I mumble, my mind flashing on my previous home.

               “So...why did you get downgraded? And where are your brothers? Where’s Haden? I’m here to talk to him more than anything,” Reid admits, rubbing his palms against his black jeans.

               “I’m not staying with them anymore. This is my family,” I spit bitterly.

               “What?” he whispers, obviously not understanding.

               “You heard me. Apparently the guys lied about my family being dead. So yeah, now I’m living with my...family,” I didn’t realise it would be so hard to even pretend to Reid that the Daniels are my family.

               “But you don’t believe this family is yours, right?” he asks suddenly.

               “What?! What could possibly make you say that?” I demand, trying to cover up my shock.

               “It’s just the way you say it. You obviously don’t believe that this is your family. Not that I blame you. It’s awfully suspicious for a family you thought was dead to suddenly reappear. There’s something fishy about this,” Reid murmurs, more to himself than me.

               “Are you talking to yourself, retard?” James, my brother, calls, banging my door open. He stops dead in his tracks when he sees Reid.

               “James?” Reid murmurs, his face getting hard.

               “You know him?” I ask.

               “We’re both on the football team in school,” Reid answers, jumping to his feet.

               “Does my mother know you have a guy in your room, skank?” James demands, turning on me.

               “Hey! Don’t talk to her like that!” Reid bellows, his cheeks turning red in his anger.

               “Oo, so this is the boyfriend, is he?” James asks snarkily, ignoring Reid.

               “No, he’s just a friend. Don’t you have something better to do?” I ask, faking boredom. I’m deathly afraid of James, but I can’t let Reid see that.

               “Wow, my baby sister is suddenly so brave. Where are your tears now? Where’s the begging?” he mocks, grinning like an idiot.

               “What’s he talking about, Jess?” Reid asks, grabbing my shoulder and shaking me slightly.

               “Oh, so there’s no shrinking back when he touches you? Why do you tear when I do? It hurts my feelings so sis,” James taunts, turning my cheeks a dark red.

               “You touch her?!” Reid demands, taking a step towards James.

               “You have no idea of the kind of things that girl can do. She’d make a good street walker,” James spits, enjoying every moment of this.

And before I can stop him, Reid’s fist makes contact with James’ cheek. James’ face whips to the side from the impact and it takes him a moment to realise what just happened. I resist the urge to jump up and down, clapping with delight.

               “You’ll be sorry for this, Reid!” James threatens, storming out of my room.

               “You can’t stay here, Jess! You have to leave!” Reid urges, grabbing my arm.

               “And what would I do then? Where would I go?” I ask, tearing slightly.

               “We’ll figure it out. But you can’t stay here subjecting yourself to these...barbarians! Please Jess! I’m sure your brothers will take you back,” Reid explains, as he throws my things into my little suitcase.

               “What do you think you’re doing?” Mr Daniels’ voice booms across the room, making Reid stop suddenly.  “Leave now, or I will call the cops,” he threatens.

Reid throws me a look, not knowing what to do. I fix on a small smile and nod my head at him. He seems torn, not knowing what to do. James walks into the room and grabs onto Reid’s arm, leading him out of the room.

I just give Reid a nod and he stops struggling. He lets himself be led out and I stand in the middle of my room, bracing myself for my punishment.

The moment James and Reid are out of the room, Mr. Daniels rounds on me.

               “Don’t you ever bring someone here again, do you understand me?” he asks, and I merely nod my head in acknowledgement.

I suppose my silence enraged him, because the next thing I know, he’s all up in my face, yanking my hair back so I have to look into his eyes. “You will answer me when I’m speaking to you! Your guardian may have had other ways of doing things, but you got to stop pretending you’re privileged!” he shouts, spraying spit all over me.

               “Yet you let my guardian get away with it,” I mumble angrily, more to myself than anything else. I remember the way Mr Daniels bowed his head to Haden, and Haden merely nodded his head pompously.

I was expecting a shout, maybe some cursing, but instead I got a backhanded slap that whipped my face to the side. My cheek burned and it took all my effort not to break down and start sobbing at the pain.

               “Watch your tongue,” Mr Daniels hisses. He lets go of my hair and I sink down on to the floor, utterly miserable. Why didn’t I run off with Reid?!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172 30 23
'A child murderer?' 'I heard that she killed her mother at such a young age!' 'It must be a witch!' 'To think that such a pretty face belongs to such...
207 129 29
"What's it like being a vampire?" I shrugged, feeing the stab wound closing. "I should be dead, but I'm still seventeen." *** When the highly hunted...
16K 260 12
Aubry is your typical Seventeen year old. Or so she thinks. She goes to school just like anybody else but what happens when she gets a new English te...
811 24 13
Jordan Pouers is your typical 17-year-old boy. He goes to high school, skates around with his friends; causes some trouble but nothing too heinous. J...