A Little Too Dark

By symhere

SEASON 1: (COMPLETED) A lack of any direction in Andy's life makes everything difficult. Andrea Hebert and Lo... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty (End of Season One)
A LITTLE TOO DARK (SEASON II)
After Two Years
They Meet Again
The Fear Of Falling In Love
The Start Of The Anguish.
Tête-à-tête.
Seven Minutes In Heaven.
Stupid Things.
Trouble In Paradise.
A Word In Private.
An Unexpected Kiss.
Andrea's Realization.
It Was A Mistake.
Moving On.
Hassel Awaits.
What The Night Holds.
A Tad Bit Desirous.
Lorenzo's Exasperation.
What Is Yet To Come.
Ambushed Sanity.
Unbreakable Promise.
As Never Seen Before.
A Hint Of Something.
A Tipsy Phone Call.
The Guardian Angel.
Beat Him Up
Locked Up.
I Am Fine
I Can Stop You
The Awkward Dinner.
A Little Bathroom Session.
Stella
The Vigoritos
Mom In Town
Lorenzo Care's
The Ghost From The Past
Lorenzo's Misery
Heart To Heart
The Last Dance
A Monster
The L Word
The Awaited Night
The Boyfriend Dilemma
Zo
The Not-So-Perfect Family (Part I)
The Not-So-Perfect Family (Part II)
The Not-So-Perfect Family (Part III)
Enzo's Better Half
The Truth's Out
Closure
Toxicity
Long Lost Loved Ones
Blurred Fences
Epilogue (1/2)
Epilogue (2/2)

Stay

265 15 0
By symhere

Andrea didn't want to be here. She didn't think that she would actually come to the dinner Kevin threw at his new house. She had it all prepared in her head. She was going to lie about work or something about not feeling well – maybe tell Farrah that it was the first day of her periods and she wasn't feeling so well. She had it all prepared but yet she still ended up at Kevin's dinner party. Now that she thinks through everything, she realized how bad she is at saying no. How hard is it to lie? For Andrea, it can be tedious. No, she doesn't shake and stutters when she lies or sweat like a pig when she is hiding something – those things never happen to her. But she does come up with something stupid with each lie she tells or she goes completely blank, not sure what lie she had to say. So, after preparing everything in her head, with a determination to say no – she ended up at the dinner party.

Andy was clearly nervous. Why wouldn't she? She was going to meet Craig Carlos, Kevin's father, for the first time. Rose will also be here any minute now – Andy doesn't know what that girl might do next. She hasn't bother Andy since the last time she humiliated her at Kevin's Halloween party, but anything can be expected from that girl. The way she looks at Andrea, it is a wonder how she hasn't done anything yet. Also, Lorenzo might join them as well. When Farrah told Andy that Lorenzo might or might not be at the dinner tonight, Andrea wasn't sure why that only made her feel nervous. She hasn't seen him since the last few days ago when she saw him in the morning.

Andrea was dressed in a plain grey dress that ended to her knees with simple black heels. Her hair was tied in a long ponytail while she barely applied any makeup. She sat on the couch and drank the wine that Kevin's help just served her. Andrea has been around Kevin for almost three years now but she still gets uncomfortable with his luxurious lifestyle. She was nervously fidgeting her foot when Kevin announced, "Dad is here," he said and along with Farrah – he went to the door to welcome him. Andrea could see that Farrah was also a bit edgy, she only met Craig Carlos twice since she started dating his son. Andrea blew her cheeks out. She once again planned to simply greet the man and stay silent or keep herself busy with Liana the entire night and at all cost ignore any interaction with Rose.

She heard the footsteps approaching while heard Kevin and another unfamiliar voice, which she believes belongs to Mr. Carlos. She gulped and stood on her feet, leaving the wine glass on the table when she wanted to gulp it down all at once. She saw Kevin and Farrah walking along with a tall man, who might be in his late sixties along with Rose, who was dressed in a red sheath dress. Her short hair was curled into beach waves while her lips screamed red. Her eyes met Andreas and she halted for hardly a second before she walked along with her father and brother while raising her eyebrow at Andy's presence.

Mr. Carlos was dressed in a navy-blue suit. He was missing a tie around his neck and the first button was undone – giving a relaxed look to otherwise formal attire. He was taller than Kevin and Rose, but she could see Kevin's features on his face, especially his eyes. Where Andy realized that he hardly resembled Rose – she must look more like her mother. Craig averted his eyes at Andrea, he offered her a small smile. Andrea nodded her head, "Hello, Mr. Carlos. It is nice to meet you," She greeted and offered her hand for a handshake. She didn't know how else was she supposed to greet this person.

Craig shook her hand – didn't find it appropriate to keep her waiting. He then turned to look at Kevin who then introduced her to his father, "Dad, this is Andrea. Farrah's sister." He told her. "Oh, my apologies, child. I didn't know you were Farrah's sister. Kevin did mention you to me." The softness in Craig's voice dripped calmness across her body. She exhaled and smiled broadly, "It is completely fine, Mr. Carlos – you are meeting me for the first time anyways," she nodded. Craig softly chuckled and nodded his head. Kevin then asked him what would he like to drink and asked for scotch but didn't ask anything to Rose anything. She stood quietly beside her father. Farrah went to look for Liana to meet Craig while Kevin talked with his father – leaving Rose and Andrea sitting silently.

Soon Farrah walked back while holding Liana's hand, who shyly looked at Craig. Andrea bit her lower lip as she witnessed the encounter between them. Andy has been very nervous about how Kevin's family would react to Liana. Craig smiled at Liana, "Hello, young lady. How are you today?" He asked. Andrea liked how his voice held so much softness in it. Liana smiled but didn't answer, instead, she played with her dress. Farrah asked her daughter to speak to which Liana whispered, "I am fine, thank you." In her little voice. Craig chuckled at the shy girl in front of him, "I have brought some toys for you – I think you would like them. I will ask someone to get them from the car," Craig told Liana – whose eyes instantly lit up at the mention of toys. Farrah shook her head, "Oh no, Craig – please, you didn't have to." She instantly said – her cheeks flushed. Craig smiled, "Please accept them, Farrah. I would really like it if you would do so," Craig replied. Farrah was hesitant before she looked at her daughter, "Thank him, Liana." She told her to which Liana squealed and hugged Craig's leg, thanking him while everyone in the room looked at them with amusement.

Soon Liana's toys were brought in and there were many of those. Farrah kept telling Craig that he didn't have to and Craig in return brushing it off with a polite tone and smile. Liana went into one of the rooms to play with her toys. Since Farrah had already fed her, they weren't worried about dinner for Liana. Kevin, Farrah, and Craig were engaged in conversation while Rose and Andrea sat silently. Andrea was sure that the tension between her and Rose was evident, but thankfully no one was mentioning it. "Is Enzo coming or not? I haven't seen that boy in ages." Craig said and got Andrea's attention. Rose finally broke her silence and spoke, "He was busy but I made sure he comes. He must be on his way. Let me call and ask him," Rose said as she glanced towards Andrea. Craig pointed towards his daughter, "Yes, please do." He replied.

Rose nodded and dialed Lorenzo's number and stood on her feet to take the call someplace private when a phone ring was heard. Everyone along with Andrea turned their heads to see Lorenzo walking towards them. Rose smiled and cut off the call just as Lorenzo was about to fetch his phone out of his pocket, "Leave it. It was just me calling you," She said and with a grin on her face walked closer to him. He smiled back at her. Rose embraced Lorenzo in a hug before she placed a kiss on his cheek. Craig stood on his feet as well when he saw Lorenzo, "We have so much catching to do, Enzo!" he welcomed him with open arms. It was a pleasant surprise for Andrea to see a broad smile stretch to Lorenzo's face as he came forward to hug Craig. Craig patted his back, "I missed you, boy. And I am sorry," He told Lorenzo who was quick to respond, "Me too," he said and pulled away from each other. Lorenzo greeted Kevin with a brief hug and nodded at Farrah before he finally turned to look at Andrea, who for some reason decided to stand on her feet.

Lorenzo was dressed in his usual attire – but this time he decided to wear a black button-up along with grey pants. He had sleeves rolled up to the mid of his forearm. Also, a couple of buttons on his shirt were undone. He had his hair properly gelled while he had trimmed his stubble as it doesn't look as thicker as it before. His eyes rested on her as he nodded his head, "Hey," he greeted softly to which Andrea smiled, "Hi," she replied. It was the only conversation they had before dinner as soon he went to sit with Kevin and Craig as they all went into deep conversation and Farrah, Rose, and Andrea was on the other side of the room, talking about the wedding. It was more of Farrah talking while Rose occasionally weigh in while Andrea decided to only respond when asked. She often randomly glanced towards Lorenzo to see him actually smiling and talking to his best friend and Craig.

Soon it was dinner time and all of them sat around the table while the servers served them the meals. Craig sat at the host's chai while Kevin and Farrah decided to sit on each side of Craig. Lorenzo sat beside Kevin and Rose sat beside Lorenzo. Andrea sat down beside Farrah and right in front of Lorenzo. She doesn't know why was she feeling so nervous to be seated right in front of him – or maybe it was because of the gathering she was in. She wasn't ignored or belittled but she also didn't feel like she was fitting in. If it wasn't for Farrah, the event must have gone total disaster for Andy with no one, in particular, to talk to. They were first served soup. Andrea looked down at the bowl that was placed in front of her. She exhaled and randomly averted her eyes in front of her – only to meet Lorenzo's eyes.

Andrea gulped nervously before she lowered her gaze. She was frustrated with herself, why was she so nervous under his gaze? It used to annoy her not timid her. She let out a shaky breath – maybe it was because she felt like a stranger among all of these people. She decided to taste the soup and it wonderful. She unexpectedly let out a soft moan, which was heard by everyone around the table. She froze. She lifted her gaze to see all the amused eyes on her – except for Lorenzo's – he was looking at her by he did not look amused – his stares were blank. She gulped and let out a nervous chuckle, "I apologize, but this soup is really nice." She commented to which Craig smiled and nodded his head, "Kevin was keen to look for another chef for his wedding but I recommend Gus – he is marvelous. This food is prepared by him personally. It is more like a test run dinner for the wedding." Craig told her, "See, Kevin – he got another fan. Wait until you try his famous baked Alaska – I am sure you are going to love it!" Craig said.

Kevin chuckled and rolled his eyes, "Dad," he bleated. Craig only chuckled and took a soup full of soup to his mouth while Farrah decided to speak, "Actually, Andrea here is very passionate about cooking," Farrah pointed out. Craig rose his eyebrow, "Oh, that's wonderful. Which must mean that you are a good cook," he said. Andrea uncomfortably shifted in her chair – she was feeling uneasy by the attention she was getting. She glanced in front of her to see Lorenzo's curious eyes on her before she looked back at Craig, "Uh – all I can say is that – I enjoy cooking." She replied softly.

Kevin rolled his eyes, "She is a divine cook. I was really hoping that you would enroll yourself in a culinary school," Kevin's comment made her even more uncomfortable. What was she supposed to say to him? That she couldn't afford to get enrolled in a culinary school so she gave up on her dream and went for the second-best thing she could think of. Farrah sensed the uneasiness and chuckled, "I suggested this to her as well but she replied that she finds cooking therapeutical and that she doesn't want to make it hectic by turning it into a full-time job," Farrah replied on her behalf – which was true from Farrah's perspective, even though she knows that Andy was trying to feed her lies. Andy did say this to her. Andy smiled and nodded, "Yes, that's true." She pointed her soup at her sister who only smiled in return.

Craig smiled and nodded his head, "Well, maybe later you should meet Gus," he said. "He might be able to tell if it is really as hectic as you believe it can be. He is a very successful chef." He added. Kevin heaved a sigh, "I don't suggest that." Everyone looked at him as she continued, "Gus can be an ass. Actually, he is an ass. He is rude and well – an ass," Kevin shrugged. Rose chuckled and spoke, "Kevin, you are only getting better with words. I can't wait to hear your vows," Rose teased her brother. Andrea was amused by Rose's comment – so was everyone except for Kevin ad Lorenzo. Where Kevin was annoyed, Lorenzo was quiet and deadpan.

Kevin started to talk about something related to the wedding and Andrea was relieved to get the attention off her. As the dinner proceeded, Andrea realized that Craig was right. The food was divine. She had never tried such moist and tender beef wellington and nor did she ever tried such perfectly made baked Alaska. She was truly impressed by Chef Gus and was now more and more intrigued to meet him – if she ever gets the chance. She couldn't believe that till this day, she was completely unaware of him. She and Craig once again discussed the food and he was ended up being impressed by her culinary knowledge. Turns out Craig himself is a food lover – he might not be the best cook but he does enjoy a variance of flavors. He promised that he will introduce Gus to her and to say that she was excited would be an understatement.

After dinner, everyone was sitting in the living room, enjoy expensive wine. As the night was proceeding – Andrea was feeling more and more comfortable around these people. Craig was a delightful person and Rose was staying silent mostly or when she was engaging in conversations – it was either with her father and brother or Lorenzo. Farrah went in to see Liana while Lorenzo's phone rang and he as well walked away – excusing himself. Kevin, Rose, and Craig were discussing something related to their business and Andrea didn't feel appropriate to sit around and listen to them talk, so she excused herself as well and lied about helping Farrah with Liana – while she walked towards where Farrah had gone – seeking a door that would perhaps guide her to the garden. The garden is the one place in Kevin's house that she absolutely adores.

She peeked inside the room Farrah went and see her putting Liana to bed. Andrea looked around to see if she could find her way out to the garden or maybe someplace that she gives her the view. She walked past many doors until she saw a glass door through which she could see the grass in the dark. A smile stretched on her face as she aimed for the door. She slides it open and stepped out in the open, taking a deep breath in – only to cough slightly as instead of smelling moist grass and flowers around, she smelled nicotine. She turned her head to her left to see Lorenzo leaned against the wall with a cigarette pressed between his lips and his eyes on her. Where she looked surprised, not expecting to find him here – he looked as deadpan as before. Her presence didn't bother her like his to her. She gulped, "Oh, I am so sorry. I didn't know someone was here." She spoke quickly. Lorenzo blinked but didn't speak. She took a step back, "I apologize, I will leave." She announced and turned around – maybe she can come here some other time. "Wait," she heard him and as he said – she waited. She halted and turned her head to look at him. He wasn't looking back at her. He sucked in smoke before puffing it out, "Stay," he softly asked. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

268K 2K 11
"Tell me, Eleanor, do you like seeing me like this? Do you like seeing me angry with you?" he yells, banging the spot above my head. I keep my mouth...
124K 3.7K 30
There's a thin line between hate and Love. That's what the saying says. But for the two individuals who grown to hate each other is just a silly joke...
137K 2.4K 12
"When you are done admiring my house, I want to make something clear to you. What happened tonight should never repeat itself again, because if it do...
15.4K 783 30
"Our friends are tired of it, we're tired of it. So, why can't we just stop if all we do is make a war zone." "Because what would we have after that...