Broken Inside

By lunianistic

Before she became a model, Alex Smith went through a hard life. But you know what is harder? Relationships. F... More

1 - The Abandoned Child
2 - The Unwanted
3 - The Judo Master
4 - The Master's Helper
5 - The Incident
6 - The Audition
7 - The Start Over
8 - The First One
9 - The Unexpected
10 - The First Celebration
11 - The Chosen One
12 - The Gentleman
13 - The Assignment Abroad
14 - The Painful Goodbye
15 - The Rise After the Fall
16 - The Sisterly Bond
17 - The Artist
18 - The Getaway Plan
19 - The Independence
20 - The Unexpected Visitor
21 - The Returnees
22 - The Move
23 - The Temporary Roommate
24 - The New Experiences
25 - The Planned and Unplanned
26 - The Cheater
27 - The Wallet Incident
28 - The Bookstore
29 - The Father and Daughter
30 - The Girl Talk
31 - The Redhead
32 - The Next Day
33 - The First Date
34 - The Single Dad
35 - The Crazy Lady
36 - The Big Boss
37 - The Big Surprise
38 - The Sculpture
39 - The Big Step
40 - The Surprise Twist
41 - The Weekend Plan
42 - The First Day
43 - The Artist in London
44 - The Lovers Reunited
45 - The Catwalk Queen
46 - The Book Launch
47 - The Breakup
48 - The Reveal
49 - The Birthday Party
50 - The Designer
51 - The After-party
52 - The Lord
53 - The Duplex
54 - The Boss' Order
55 - The Chauffeur
56 - The Confession
57 - The Hangover
58 - The Photographer
59 - The Scandal
60 - The Romeo Undone
61 - The Ugly Drunk
62 - The Lord's Anger
63 - The Little Cottage
64 - The Countryside
65 - The Proposal
66 - The Engagement Party
67 - The Trio
68 - The Lady
69 - The Big Decision
71 - The Untold Truth
72 - The Recovery
73 - The Big Day
74 - The Mountain Air
75 - The Growth
76 - The Little One
77 - The Big Reveal
78 - The Heir
Epilogue

70 - The Unfortunate News

14 1 0
By lunianistic

Paul was over the moon when Alex told him that she was staying in London. He personally talked to HR the very next day about her new employment contract. It would take effect from new year.

Alex's decision seemed to spur on Paul's sexual energy. They have been together for months and Alex have assumed there would be no more surprises in the bedroom, but she was very wrong. Paul could still surprise her there. They went to bed each night fully sated and completely drained of energy.

Since her employment was no longer a concern, Alex focused on the wedding planning. Ellen was excellent at her job. Whatever Alex and Paul requested for, she delivered. She left very minimal things for Alex to worry about.

They have decided to get married on a cliff near Paul's cottage. The ceremony would be outdoor, taking advantage of the beautiful sceneries in Spring. The wedding reception would be held on the grounds. Ellen had some sketches done to give them an idea of how the wedding would be. Alex and Paul were excited for it.

*****

It was a usual weekend for Paul and Alex. They were in their Master suite, lounging in the living area. Alex was resting on Paul's lap on the sofa, while reading Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre. Paul's attention was fixated on the tennis game on the TV, but he was caressing the top of her head absentmindedly. 

Suddenly his phone rang and he answered it. "Hello?" There was a pause as the other person spoke. Then Paul replied, "Yes, confirmed. I'll start fasting at midnight. Thank you." Then he hung up the phone.

"Who was that? Why do you have to fast?" Alex asked, peering up at him. 

Paul smiled at her and said, "That was the hospital. I'm going for my annual medical check up tomorrow. I need to fast for the blood test."

"You do this every year?" Alex asked him. 

"Yes, since my father died from a heart attack. It can be hereditary so I wanted to be cautious," Paul explained. Then his eyebrows knotted and he asked her, "When was your last medical?"

Alex shrugged and said, "When I joined B&G. That's the only time I've done it." Then she returned her attention back to her book. 

Paul pulled her face back to him by the chin. He looked concerned. "B&G's employment medical check up is very basic. You've never had a proper medical done before?"

Alex pursed her lips and said, "I do my own breasts exam every month."

"I examined your breasts very thoroughly last night, but I'm not a qualified medical examiner," Paul said pointedly and Alex rolled her eyes. Paul took out his phone and dialled a number. When the other person picked up, he spoke, "Hello? This is Lord Baker. I'd like to request to add another patient for the medical check up tomorrow. No, this is a new patient I'd like to register under Doctor Grant. Ms Alex Smith, S-M-I-T-H. Yes, same time. Thank you." Then he hung up the phone.

"Just like that?" Alex asked him.

"Just like that," Paul said grinning. Then he turned his attention back to the game.

*****

The next morning, John drove them to Weymouth Street Hospital. 

Alex looked up at the building with apprehension. "It doesn't even look like a hospital," she commented and Paul chuckled. He took her hand and led her inside. They registered themselves before being ushered into separate private rooms to start the medical examinations.

After a couple of hours, they were done. They went to breakfast before heading to the office.

*****

The next day, Alex was having a discussion with Cara when her phone rang. It was the hospital. There were some discrepancies in her blood test results and Dr Grant had asked Alex to come back the next morning for further testings. Alex agreed.

Unfortunately, Paul had to travel to Paris. So Alex went alone.

Dr Grant had requested for Dr Shepherd, the resident gynaecologist, to perform a few procedures on Alex. He didn't want to share the results of her blood test until he can confirm it. Alex was nervous. 

A few hours later, she sat in Dr Grant's office, nervously tapping her foot. Dr Grant was a kind elderly man with neat white hair and beard. He was reading her file with a serious expression on his face.

"Is it cancer?" Alex spoke first. She couldn't take the silence anymore.

Dr Grant looked up from her file and gave her a small smile. "No, it's not cancer."

"Then what is it?" she asked, sitting at the edge of her seat. Her palms were sweaty.

Dr Grant exhaled deeply. "We detected some anomalies in your blood test, that's why I asked Dr Shepherd to perform the additional exams so that we-"

Alex held up her hand and stopped him mid-sentence. "Dr Grant, please, just give it to me straight. What is the problem?"

He exhaled again and said, "Brace yourself, this is a big news."

"Fine," she replied quickly.

He looked her straight in the eyes and said, "There is a possibility that you can't have children." 

He took a deep breath and begun going into the medical explanations but Alex couldn't hear him. Her heart was pounding in her ears. Her sights were getting blurry. I can't have children?

She started thinking about Paul. Sophie couldn't get pregnant, and now she couldn't give him an heir to his title either. It was not fair for him. Paul deserved better.

"Alex?"

Alex looked up at Dr Grant. He was looking concerned. 

"I know this is a lot to take. You can ask me any questions and I will try to answer them," he said to her.

Alex sat up straight and said, "Thank you, Dr Grant. Can I leave now?"

Dr Grant looked surprised. "Are you sure there's nothing you want to ask me?" he prodded her.

"I have everything I need," Alex assured him, keeping a straight face.

Dr Grant exhaled deeply and nodded. "Promise that you will call me if you have any questions?"

"Of course," Alex said and stood up. Dr Grant stood up, too. Alex shook his hand and left his office.

John was waiting by the curb. He noticed something wrong when Alex exited the building. She asked him to take her home.

Alex had made up her mind. She knew it was a crazy plan but she had to do it. She had too.

She packed a bag, throwing random things in there until there was no more room. Then she asked John to take her to the airport. 

John was shocked. "Where are you going?"

"Can you take me or not?" she pushed. "I can take a cab."

John reluctantly loaded her bag into the trunk and Alex climbed into the backseat. They were just pulling out from the driveway when Alex's phone rang. It was Paul calling.

"What did you say to him?" Alex asked John.

"I told him you were panicking," he said, glancing at her from the rearview window. "You haven't been yourself since you left the hospital. You need to talk to him."

Alex ignored him and glanced out the window. How could she break this news to Paul? He would be devastated. She kept her silence throughout the journey. 

As John pulled into the airport, he tried again to persuade her to stay. "Whatever it is, I'm sure you can discuss it together. Please, Alex, be sensible."

The moment he stopped the car, she thanked him and dismounted. She took her luggage out herself  and walked away before John could stop her.

She went straight to the ticketing counter. "Hi, I'd like to buy a ticket, one way."

"And the destination, miss?" the young lady asked her, with a toothy grin.

"Whatever earliest flight you have available," she replied hastily.

The girl blinked in surprise, then quickly checked her monitor, "Alright then. There's a flight to Manchester in 40 minutes. Will that do?"

"Yes, thank you," Alex said and slid her credit card over. Once she got her ticket, she went straight to the gate and boarded the flight.

When she arrived in Manchester, she flagged down a taxi and asked the driver to take her to a nearby hotel. The driver was confused but did it anyway. He took her to Hyatt Regency Manchester, which was fine for her. She checked in and once she was in her room, she raided the mini bar and made herself a large drink. She drank until she passed out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.2K 2.2K 35
The exact words he threw at my face still haunts my dreams every single night and I think I'm starting to believe him. "Wish I've never met you I...
217K 7.8K 28
Life couldn't be sweeter for Eden and Zach. After a whirlwind romance, the outgoing hairstylist and shy lawyer dream of a bright future together. Bu...
516K 10.3K 44
"Damn,baby...s-so tight." Lazar husked in my ear. "F-faster!" I moaend,and so he did. He began to thrust faster and faster. The bed hitting the wall...
8.2K 639 37
⚠️ Warning for foul language usage ⚠️ Warning for triggers {PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "DON'T BELONG"} [Started- May, 25th, 2022] [Ended- July, 20th, 2022] ...