42 - The First Day

Alex set multiple alarms to make sure she would not be late on her first day. She put on a sharp black skirt suit and black heels. She tied her hair up into a tight bun. She wore minimal makeup. She looked at herself in the mirror. She looked like a professional banker. Here we go.

The car arrived at 7.30am sharp to take her to the office. She went through London traffic and arrived at B&G office at 8am. Cara was waiting at the lobby to greet her. 

"Good morning!" she greeted cheerfully. She looked at Alex's outfit and said, "Wow, that's a really nice suit." Cara was wearing a navy blue buttoned down dress. Alex started to wonder if she had overdressed.

She followed Cara into the elevator and up to the 11th floor. Cara explained that the B&G London Office was spread over three floors, 11th, 12th and 13th floor. She explained where each of the departments were located and their functions. "Lord Baker's office is on the 13th floor. You know who he is right? He's the co-founder of B&G."

"Yes," Alex said. Then she asked, "I'll be working on the 11th floor right?"

"Yeah, your desk will be there, but we never stay put at one place," Cara explained. The elevator doors opened at the 11th floor and they stepped out. Cara showed her around, introducing a few people as they go. Alex was certain she was overdressed. 

They stopped at an office and Cara knocked on the glass. The woman inside called them to come in. Cara gestured for Alex to follow her.

"Caroline, Alex is here to report for duty," Cara told the woman. She turned to Alex and said, "Caroline is our Creative Director. You will be reporting to her." Then she turned around and left the room.

Caroline was a stern-looking middle-aged woman, with shoulder length blonde hair and cat eye glasses. She was standing behind her desk, going through photos that was scattered across the desktop. 

When Cara left, Caroline took off her glasses and eyed Alex from head to toe, with one hand on her hip. "If you want to work for a bank, there's one across the street," she said pointedly.

Alex looked down at herself and then at Caroline. "I'll dress better tomorrow." 

Caroline rolled her eyes and put her glasses back on. "Take off that jacket and untuck your shirt." Alex quickly did what she said. Caroline stepped out from behind her desk and went to the clothes rack near the wall. She picked out a slim tie and a silk ladies vest. She handed them to Alex. "Put these on and let your hair down."

When she was done, Caroline eyed her again. She exhaled and said, "Slight improvement." She returned to her desk and said, "Cara will show you around."

Alex assumed that was her cue to exit. She thanked Caroline and left the room. Cara was waiting for her outside.

Cara beamed when she saw Alex's new look. "Wow! I love it. You don't mind if I copy this look, do you? I have this checkered skirt that I think would work."

Alex smiled at her and said, "Go for it."

Cara showed Alex around some more, meeting a few more people. To Alex's dismay, they ran into Paul. She knew it was inevitable but she was hoping to avoid the discomfort.

Of all the people Alex was introduced to that morning, Paul was the only one who was dressed in a full greyish blue suit over crisp open-collared white shirt. Everyone else was dressed very casual.

"Lord Baker," Cara greeted cheerfully, "Have you met Ms Alex Smith, from B&G New York?"

Alex and Paul looked at each other and smiled politely. Paul extended his hand and said, "Welcome to London."