The Blind Meister (Soul Eater...

By GrimstoneRX1300

At the Death Weapon Mister Academy, students are trained by the Grim Reaper himself to hunt the Keishen that... More

Basic Info
Prologue: THE SPECIAL TWO - THE ACADEMY GETS NEW STUDENTS?
Chapter 1: FIRST DAY - COLE GETS IN A FIGHT?
Chapter 2 BLACK-BLOODED TERROR - THERE'S A WEAPON INSIDE CRONA?
Chapter 3: TSUBAKI THE CAMELLIA BLOSSOM - WHAT REAL HURT FEELS LIKE?
Chapter 4: THE MAN WITH THE MAGIC EYE - SOUL AND MAKA'S DIVERGING WAVELENGTH?
Chapter 5: THE SUPER WRITTEN EXAM - DUAL RIVALS FOR THE MEISTERS?
Chapter 6: THE SOUL EATING DRAGON - THE HELL INSIDE MY HEAD?
Chapter 7: HISTORY IN THE SOUL - A DIFFERENT WAY TO SEE?
Chapter 8: EVE PARTY NIGHTMARE - AND SO THE CURTAIN RAISES?
Chapter 9: THE UNDERGROUND BATTLE BEGINS - THE ONE WHO TOOK MY SIGHT?
Chapter 10: ASURA'S RETURN - THERE'S A POWER IN THY SOUL?
Chapter 11: BATTLE OF THE GODS - DEATH CITY ON THE VERGE OF COLLAPSE?
Chapter 13: 800 YEARS OF BLOODLUST - ADVENT OF THE HERETIC WITCH?
Chapter 14: THE SWORD GOD RISES - JASON GAINS POWER?
Chapter 15: THE RED HOT RUNAWAY - A MAGIC TOOL LEFT BEHIND BY THE GREAT WIZARD?
Chapter 16: LEGEND OF THE HOLY SWORD - A BLIND DATE AT LAST?
Chapter 17: THE BATTLE FOR BREW - CLASH BETWEEN ENEMIES?
Chapter 18: BREW'S TEMPEST - A FIGHT AND ESCAPE IN TEN MINUTES?
Chapter 19: INTERNAL INVESTIGATION - A GOD BECOMES DEMON?
Chapter 20: CAPTAIN'S RETURN - THE FACTORY MADE TO LOOK LIKE A CLOWN?
Chapter 21: SECRET'S OUT - KIM'S A WITCH?
Chapter 22: CAPTURE OF BABA YAGA CASTLE - TEAMING UP WITH THE WOLF MAN?
Chapter 23: DEATH OF ARACHNE - A NEW ENEMY OF THE DWMA?
Chapter 24: ADVANCED SKILLS - A PLAN TO RESCUE THE BOYS?
Chapter 25: THE SEVEN DEADLY CHAPTERS - EXPERIENCE SINS TO SAVE FRIENDS?
Chapter 26: COLE VS TSUBAKI - EMBRACING CHAOS TO BREAK MADNESS?
Chapter 27: BEACH DAY - A BIT LATE FOR THE EVENT?
Chapter 28: WAR ON THE MOON Part 1 - THE TRUTH ABOUT MORIA?
Chapter 29: WAR ON THE MOON Part 2 - A SECOND NEPHILIM IS BORN?
Chapter 30: WAR ON THE MOON Part 3 - THE FINAL SHOWDOWN? (Finale)
Epilogue: A NEW ORDER

Chapter 12: THE GATHERING OF THE DEATH SCYTHES - THE REASON COLE LOST HIS SIGHT?

566 11 6
By GrimstoneRX1300

The scene takes places almost a week after the last chapter. The city was still going through repairs, but luckily wasn't badly damaged so it shouldn't take too long. However, the same couldn't be said for the students. Lord Death had ordered them to take it easy until their injuries were recovered. Most of the students only had minor wounds, so it wouldn't take too long.

Well, all except for one...

Cole was currently in a hospital since the attack. The injuries from blood loss nearly killed him, and the transformation he endured took a tremendous amount of stress on his body. The wounds were bad enough that Angela had to take him to a proper hospital to get treatment.

At her apartment, Tsubaki was resting near a window as she thought back to that night.

*FLASHBACK*

Cole: (getting stabbed)

Tsubaki: COLE!!!!!

The transformation happening.

Thanatos: (roars)

Cole: (weakly) what... am... I...?

*FLASHBACK ENDS*

Tsubaki: Cole...

Blackstar: hey, Tsubaki! The others and I are gonna go play some basketball. You should tag along.

Tsubaki: (sadden) thanks, Blackstar, but I'll stay here.

Blackstar: (a bit worried) still thinking about Cole, huh? You shouldn't have to. He's tough, so he'll easily pull through this.

Tsubaki: I know, it's just... He almost died that night...

Blackstar: what about you? Are you sure you're alright?

Tsubaki: I'm okay. (Gives him a smile) don't let my problems worry you, Blackstar. Go and have fun with the others. I'll be fine.

Despite her smile, Blackstar could tell is wasn't her usual caring one, but a fake one to cover her worries. Reluctantly, he leaves, but his thoughts were of anger.

Blackstar's Thoughts: how dare that Kishin use Tsubaki to try and kill Cole! I don't care how tough he thinks he is! I'll make him pay for trying to kill Tsubaki's boyfriend!

*DWMA*

At the school, Genji was finishing up some work before going to see Lord Death along with the other Death Scythes. From what he heard, only three managed to arrive, making it half their members. Just as he finished one last paper, he stops when he sensed another presence nearby. He slowly sets the paper and pen down, and swiftly turns around and dodges a punch sent towards him.

Grabbing the attacker, he tosses him over to the other side of the room, where he gracefully lands on his feet. The two then trade blows with one another, each doing kicks, punches, and various other attacks. It ends went Genji is pinned down, and we see his attacker was a man with facial hair, a bun on the back of his hair, and in a black and blue suit.

They stay in silence for a bit, until the man chuckles and stands up, offering a hand out to Genji.

???: another score for me, little brother.

Genji: you got lucky, Hanzo. If this were a real fight, I'd have killed you.

Hanzo: keep telling yourself that.

Angela: (enters and sighs) you two haven't changed at all.

Hanzo: Angela! It's good to see you again.

Angela: (smiles and hugs him) good to see you as well, Hanzo. I just wish it were under better circumstances.

Hanzo: (breaks hug) as do I. Is it true about Cole?

Genji: (solemnly nods) he's still in the hospital.

Hanzo: and the Kishin? Where is it?

Genji: we don't know yet. After its resurrection, it disappeared. We've been trying to locate it, but there's no luck so far. We can hopefully make progress with the other scythes here.

Angela: speaking of, you two should be going to Death's office by now.

A short while later, they were joined by Stein, Spirit, and three other people. They were Justin, Marie, and Azusa.

Death: thank you for coming all this way, Death Scythes. And you as well, Hanzo Shimada. Now then, let's get down to business, I assume you already know why I've called you to the DWMA on such short notice. The Kishin Asura, a former member of my personal guard, has been revived. And, he foolishly awoke a Nephilim into the world. Obviously, we need to discuss this. Despite Asura's incredible strength, he's still a big old scaredy-cat. I doubt he will make any moves this early on. This means that we should be focusing on establishing a tactic to dealing with his madness wavelengths, and helping young Shimada with his new found powers.

Stein then went further into explaining about what the wavelengths were, and how they could effect different people. Also, he explained that not only were they a threat in that circumstance, but they could also cause disasters around the world, bringing a lot of chaos. And finally, enemies who are laying low would resurface to bring chaos.

Azusa: the reason we're in this situation, (gestures to Stein and Spirt) is the blundering of these two idiots. Lord Death, have you given any thought as to what should be done with them?

Spirit: why you little-!

Death: yes, about that...

Spirit's Thoughts: (panicked) no transfer! Anything but reassignment, please!

Death: I'm thinking a very slight staff reassignment might be in order.

Spirit: (sadden) what?! No! (Collapses to the ground) my happy life with my daughters. It's gone...! Gone for good...! What future can I ever have now...? How am I gonna explain this to Maka and Ann? I don't wanna see the sad look on their faces!

Death: no, no, calm down, Spirit. You're still going to be my personal weapon.

Spirit: (stands up) are you really going to keep me?!

Death: you shouldn't be surprised! You are the only Death Scythe who's actually a Death Scythe. Have a little more confidence in yourself.

Spirit and Justin: oh, Lord! You are a truly kind and benevolent ruler.

Death: recently I've sent you off to serve as Stein's temporary weapon whenever he needed you. That has to change. You must avoid leaving the academy as much as physically possible from now on.

Spirit: understood sir!

Death: one other change. I think we should have an additional scythe stationed here to help fortify the DWMA's defenses. Marie, I'm assigning that duty to you. I'd like you to be Stein's new partner.

Marie: (shocked) huh? Why me? (Teary eyed) oh no! Please, you can't be serious! I've completely lost the motivation to work! I even chose to be in charge of Oceania because I knew it would be peaceful and easy. If I'm always busy here at the academy it'll take even longer to find a husband!

Stein: (places a hand on her shoulder) it's okay. I have a feeling your obsessive tendencies will come in handy.

Marie: don't say that.

Hanzo: what you you like me to do, Death?

Death: Hanzo, I'd like you to help Azusa in locating Asura, wherever he's run off to. Azusa, you'll also be in charge of Oceania while Marie is stationed here. Further more, I'd like you to assist your brother and sister-in-law in helping Cole with his new powers, Hanzo.

Hanzo: understood.

Azusa: speaking of, what exactly is the boy? And, can we determine whether or not he's a threat?

Genji: (glares at her) watch your mouth, woman!

Death: it's alright, Genji. There's no need for violence. I can say that this is indeed a situation. Right now, Cole is still unconscious, and his mother is doing everything she can to help him get better. However, when he wakes up, he'll be confused and lost. In order to make sure he doesn't become an enemy, we need to treat him as our friend. Not as a threat.

Marie: how did this even happened?

Stein: from what Liz and Patty told us, Asura forced Tsubaki into her enchanted sword mode, and used it to stab Cole. When that happened, it triggered his transformation, and the Nephilim was reborn. Nephilims were said to be a race of powerful creatures that control both angelic and demonic energies. Everything, including witches and Kishin, feared them. So much so, they were hunted down to extinction. But now, Cole is officially the first Nephilim to be born in centuries. I suppose you knew all along, Genji.

Genji: both Angela and I knew this day would come, but we had hoped it wouldn't be like this.

Death: well, we can't undo the past. Our best move is to help Cole master these abilities to help people. I'm sure we'll know what to do from there. Anyways, for you Justin... (sees he's starring off) uh, Justin?

Justin had ear phones in his ears, and the music was loud enough to where they could faintly hear it. Azusa kicked him in the butt, knocking him down, and the ear phones popping out.

Death: well, never mind Justin for now. Obviously, life here at the DWMA is going to change in the coming weeks. We're entering a difficult time, but at least it'll be exciting! Okay! Class dismissed.

Everyone then left, except for Spirit as Death requested him to remain back a bit.

*TOWN*

In the park, the group of friends were at the basketball court to play a game. Everyone except for Tsubaki and Liz were there, and all were dressed in casual clothing.

Blackstar: all right! Let's play some basketball!

Everyone: yeah!

Blackstar: (sees Maka sitting on a bench) hey Maka! Get over here!

Maka: (looks up from her book unamused) why should I? You said you fine with me reading on the sidelines. It's the only reason I agreed to come.

Blackstar: well I lied. Sorry—

He's stopped by Maka throwing her book right in his face. However, Maka reluctantly gets up to join them.

Blackstar: it's not my fault, you know! Tsubaki's not feeling well, and Liz totally flaked out on us, so now we need you to play.

Maka: what am I supposed to do? I don't know how to play this.

Patty: (puts her cap on Maka's head) here, it's for your hair.

Soul: alright. Three on three. These teams should work for right now.

Ann: hey, Kid, why couldn't Liz come out to play today?

Kid: something about nice nails that took a long time to grow.

Soul: a regular game of basketball would be boring. Let's say the losing captain gets a punishment. That oughta make things more interesting.

Blackstar: yeah, sounds good. What are the punishments?

Soul: if we lose, we'll move the picture frames in Kid's place two centimeters.

Kid: whoa whoa whoa!

Maka: (laughs) that would be interesting.

Blackstar: all right. And if we lose, then Capitan Maka here has to spend a whole day hanging out with her creepy old man.

Maka: huh?!

Ann: now that is just mean.

Maka: hold on! That doesn't make any sense! Don't you wanna be captain, Blackstar? You'll be the center of attention!

Blackstar: (kneeling down in sadness) it's so hard! But I feel really bad for forcing you to play! It'll be a sacrifice, but I'll regretfully surrender my captain duties to you, Maka.

Maka: you have to decide now not to be an attention hog?

Patty: you're wearing the captain's cap, Maka.

Maka: huh?! That's what you gave me?

Blackstar: damnit!! I wanna be captain!

Maka: fine with me! Let's switch!

Despite her protest, Maka was the team captain for the game, and they played for a while. During their game, Stein and Marie stopped by and watched their game. Spirit soon came down, and the score ended by twenty to four and Maka's team lost. Kid was relived it wasn't him being punished, and Ann felt pity.

Ann: you want me to come with you, sis?

Maka: I think I'll be fine...

All the sudden, Ann's phone begins to ring, and she sees its from Angela.

Ann: (answers) hi, Mrs. Shimada, what's up?... (eyes widen) what?! ... Okay, we'll be right there! (Starts dialing)

Maka: what's wrong, sis?

Ann: it was Cole's mom, he's awake!

Everyone: what?!

Ann: (calls Tsubaki) Tsubaki, we're heading to the hospital. Cole's awake.

*TIMESKIP*

Some time later, the friends, along with Liz and Tsubaki, arrived to the hospital where Angela was waiting for them. She guides them to the room where Cole was, but stops before entering.

Angela: be gentle with him. He's still recovering, and too much stress could hurt him more.

She opens the door, and they find Cole siting in bed with his head in his hands. They were worried, as he didn't even respond to the door opening. Ann goes ahead to his bed side.

Ann: Cole?

Cole: (doesn't look up) why are you here?

Ann: what kind of question is that? We came here to see if you're alright.

Cole: but I'm not. How long have I been here?

Ann: almost a week.

Cole: and the Kishin?

Ann: gone.

Cole: (still looking down) I see...

Ann: Cole, look at me, please.

With a bit hesitation, Cole finally looks up, and everyone finally sees his eyes. While Blackstar and Tsubaki caught a glimpse of it, and Ann and Angela saw them before, the others couldn't help but gasp at seeing his blind eyes with the deep scar going across from them.

Maka: your eyes...

Blackstar: I saw them before, but now that they're in better view... damn... now I get why you had those covered.

Cole: sorry if they bother you.

Liz: it's not like that, it's just, how did this happen?

Cole: that's not the question to be answered. The real question is, (looks to Angela) what am I?

Angela: you're my son, Cole. And their fri-

Cole: that's not what I mean, and you know it! Don't dodge the question! What. Am. I?

Seeing that he'll accept no other answer, she had to tell the truth. She shows everyone two white wings appearing on her back, and revealed she was an angel. When Genji came by, he revealed that he and Hanzo were in fact oni (demons), and told Cole he was a Nephilim. They explained the same info Stein said about how powerful Nephilim were, and because of that power, they were hunted down to extinction, making Cole the last of them.

Genji: (holds Angela's hand) we knew the risks when we wanted children. But, when you were born, we didn't care as long as you were safe.

Angela: somehow,  Medusa found out about us, and tried to take you that night.

Cole: (touches his eye) and gave me this instead.

Maka: that's right, she said that. What happened?

Cole: (after a moment) I never excepted it happened. But I'll never forget it.

*FLASHBACK*

In a house out near a meadow, a younger Cole was playing around while laughing and cheering.

Cole's Voice: before joining the school, I was just a normal kid who saw everything. I wanted to grow up like my parents and fight evil. A simple dream for a kid back then. But one night, it changed.

A slash covered the screen, and shows Genji and Angela fighting against Medusa. As the witch said, her hood was up, so they didn't see her face.

Cole's Voice: a witch came into our house, and fought my parents. She wasn't prepared for how strong they were, and lost.

Genji: (points his sword at her) you should've known better than to come here, devil.

Medusa: (weakly but smirks) I guess I should've. Alright then, I'll leave for now. But one day, I'll be back, and learn about that child.

Genji: there is no other day for you.

Medusa: there will be. Vector Arrow!

Firing multiple arrows, Genji slices them all, but missed one. That one arrow was the last thing Cole saw as it sliced him in the face, damaging his eyes permanently.

Young Cole: (holds his face in pain) AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Angela: (immediately goes to him) COLE!!!

Genji was in shock, that Medusa took that as her chance to escape. The ninja realizes that, and ran after her.

Genji: DEVIL!! COME BACK HERE!!

He runs out, but she was long gone. Turning back, he sees his wife holding their son as he was still holding his face in pain with blood dripping out of his fingers.

Cole's Voice: that year after that night, was the worse year of my life.

Things then change to show Cole with bandages wrapped around his eyes as he struggled to adjust to life.

Cole's Voice: despite every surgery and procedure I went through, my eyes were permanently damaged. Everything that was clear was now gone. The worst part was it made me feel broken, and that I was nothing but a burden to my parents and everyone around me.

It then changes to Cole with Genji and Hanzo. All were meditating, then practicing forms.

Cole's Voice: after some time, I sought to try and be better. With help from my father and uncle, they began training me in a new way to see. It took about eight years to master it, but I was soon able to manipulate my soul wavelengths to be able to see around my environment, and even farther.

It then changes to Cole creating Yin and Yang, and fought multiple targets to collect Kishin eggs. With one last frame, the camera zooms in on Cole's eye before zooming out as the memory fades.

*FLASHBACK ENDS*

Cole: all these years, I wondered why that witch attacked us. And now I know why. I'm not human, but apparently a being everyone's scared of.

While Angela and Genji were sadden by remembering that story, the others looked in shock and in sadness from hearing that tale. They figured his blindness was a touchy subject, but had no idea how bad it was.

Maka: that's awful. Why did you never tell us about that?

Cole: (points to them) so that none of you would look at me with those faces. Faces of sympathy, faces of people looking down on someone and give the constant pity and sorrow. At my old school in Hanamura, people looked at me like that, and others casted me out saying I wasn't fit to be a meister. I never wanted to be treated as someone special or someone who should watch from the sides while others risked their lives. So I kept the story to myself to try and move on. (Pauses) but now I can't anymore.

There wasn't any action, until Tsubaki finally came up to Cole, and embraced him in a tight gentle hug. Tears were running down her face as she held him.

Tsubaki: I'm so sorry you've been through all that. No one, especially a child, should suffer like that. And I'm sorry we didn't realize how much you were hurting. But that doesn't make you a burden to anyone. It shows that you have humanity.

Cole: how can I have that if I'm not even human?

Tsubaki: just because you're a Nephilim doesn't mean you don't know what it's like to be human. And we don't see you any different.

Maka: she's right. You're our friend.

Soul: yeah. You're still cool.

Blackstar: you don't have any ignorance like a lot of gods do, so you're still much like a human

Kid: as a grim reaper, I can understand not being human. Still, it doesn't mean you don't show humanity.

Liz: Kid's right. You're a good guy with a good heart.

Patty: plus, having wings does sound fun to fly!

Ann: (smiles) Cole, you may be a Nephilim, but you're still my partner, and still our friend.

Tsubaki: (pulls back and smiles) we'll be there by your side. Will you still be our friend? Please say you will.

Cole was truly shocked by this. Learning of his heritage, and after what happened with him and Tsubaki, he expected them to cast him out and no longer want anything to do with him. But, they all told him that it doesn't change anything, and he's still their friend. He then couldn't help but smile, and nods yes.

Cole: yes, I'll be your friend. And thank you all.

With some effort, he stands up from bed and the friends embrace him in a hug. His parents watch while smiling, and they were happy to see their son able to make these connections, and form bonds with each of them.

*???*

Unknown to all of them, someone was listening to the whole conversation, and was intrigued by this.

???: a Nephilim, eh? Interesting. You chose good rivals, Jason and Moria.

Author's note: a pretty good chapter.
I've been waiting for a while to get around to this, and am glad to have reached it this far.
Hanzo has now entered. I might have him as an occasional character here, but he'll be another mentor for Cole. Now, backstory wise, since Overwatch doesn't exist here, the fight between him and Genji didn't happen as Genji's not a cyborg.
Our other Death Scythes are here. Their roles will basically be the same.
Here we have the Nephilim. I hope the explanation on their origins makes sense.
Cole's past is revealed. I gave hints at this since the beginning, but wanted to reveal it after the revival of Asura.
With Cole's growth, part of it will be coming to terms with his new-found heritage. I always have my main characters go through these changes with each of them. For Arc, is was accepting his dragon dna and learning to embrace is own path and destiny, instead of ones others choose for him, despite being on the same side. For DVNT, I plan to have Dean and Vali come to terms of who their mom is, and with Nikki and Tyra to go through their own character growth moments. I always have fun doing these parts whenever I write.
Who was at the end? If you've read the manga and/or seen the anime, you can probably guess who they are.

Next chapter: teaching Crona to fit in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 5.5K 25
Your name is, (Y/n) Thompson. You are the cousin of the two sisters Liz and Patty Thompson. Not too long ago you discovered you could turn into a wea...
145 6 14
Grim the Reaper is a notorious mass murderer in Japan who has been suspected of killing over a dozen people in the span of 4 years and successfully e...
206K 6.3K 33
As you've grown up your life has never been easy. You've struggled with the loss of your father and the poor relationship with your mother. After man...
386 0 41
Welcome back! Follow the story of Siena Prati and Matteo Ferranti, a weapon and meister duo sent to assist the new temporary Headmaster of the DWMA...