Damage Control

By mrbobvin

"You seem to have forgotten who I am," he whispered, caging me in with his arms once again. His stubbled face... More

Authors Note
Character Aesthetics
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Epilogue
Acknowledgments

Chapter 41

56.1K 1.5K 599
By mrbobvin

The only reason I hadn't surrendered yet was because I knew Nathaniel would be walking through those doors any minute now.

"Scream, and I won't hesitate to hurt you," Brandon threatened lowly, slowly prying his fingers off my mouth.

"How'd you find me?" I finally managed to choke out, feeling hot tears beginning to stream down my face.

Brandon pulled a chair out to sit down beside me and grabbed a strand of my hair, twirling it around his bony fingers.

"So pretty," he murmured to himself, ignoring my question.

I needed to stall, steer him away from his original plans, so by the time Nathaniel got back, it'd be too late for him. But the only way to do that was to tell him the biggest lie I could think of on the spot, which would either keep him calm or send him on a rampage, but there was only one way to find out.

"I never stopped loving you," I forced out, trying not to gag on my words as I shifted slightly, so our knees were brushing against each other. I sucked in a deep breath forcing myself to look up at his pale face, the same face that's been haunting me every time I shut my eyes.

He stared back at me with a blank expression, but I could see a flicker of hope in his eyes as my words marinated in the air.

"What did you just say?" He whispered lowly in disbelief, halting his twirling fingers.

I held my breath as he leaned closer so I wouldn't smell his stench as I repeated my lie. "I said I never stopped loving—"

"You're lying."

"I'm not."

A deep throaty chuckle escaped Brandon's throat sending another chill down my spine. "You think I'm a fool."

Before I could deny his words, he stood up abruptly, gripped a fistful of my hair, and yanked me right out of my seat. Searing pain erupted through my scalp, and I had to bite my lip to stifle the scream that threatened to escape.

"Do you think I'm a fucking fool?" He roared in my face, insulting me with his sour breath.

I couldn't speak, my voice was stuck in my throat, but when I tried to shake my head, he released his grip on my hair, wrapped his fingers around my throat, and slammed me into the bookshelf beside the elevator doors knocking the wind out of my body.

Waves of deep, throbbing pain coursed through my bones as my back pressed against the edge of the shelf, but the only thing I could focus on was trying to breathe even though it felt like electrical jolts were piercing my skin with every ragged breath I took.

"Please," I whimpered, clutching his hand that was around my neck.

"Please what?" Brandon taunted, flashing his yellow teeth as he trailed his nose down my cheek.

I pressed my lips together and turned my head away from him, feeling tears stinging my eyes.

"Please, what, Ana?" He breathed, gripping my jaw with his free hand and forcing me to look back up at him.

I cringed hearing the nickname he created when we were dating. I had always despised it, but I never had the guts to tell him and hurt his fragile feelings.

"Please what?" He repeated harshly for the third time, glaring down at me as he tightened his grip around my throat, completely constricting my airway.

My lungs screamed at me to breathe, but I couldn't. The room around me started to spin, and every time I blinked, little dots appeared everywhere, a clear indication that my body was getting ready to shut down.

I was so focused on trying to breathe I didn't hear when the elevator dinged, and in the blink of an eye, Brandon was on the floor with Nathaniel on top of him, pummeling his face into my dark marble floors. My hands flew to my mouth as I watched the gory scene unfold before me, but I did nothing to stop it.

Nathaniel mercilessly pounded his already bruised fists into Brandon's face, and I flinched every time Nathaniel's hand came in contact with his skin.

I wanted to tell him to stop, that it wasn't worth it, but a sick twisted part of me enjoyed watching Brandon finally get a taste of his own medicine. But eventually, it was too much to bear. My legs buckled underneath me, and I slowly slid down the bookshelf running my fingers through my hair to get it off my sweaty face.

Nathaniel's fist was raised in the air getting ready to smash into Brandon's face once again, but when he noticed my movement in the corner of his eye, he paused, dropped his arm, and stood up.

Brandon's bloodied body laid there on the floor, and if it wasn't for his loud wheezing, I would've thought he was dead.

I couldn't seem to tear my eyes away from his crumpled form even though I knew it'd haunt me in my nightmares tonight.

Nathaniel casually pulled out his phone and pressed it against his ear, waiting for the person on the other line to pick up.

"Handle it," he snapped, his voice was rough and filled with indescribable rage.

Immediately after, his head whipped in my direction, and concern flickered across his face as he made his way towards me. Nathaniel gently grabbed my arms, inspecting them for any injuries, before cupping my head in between his giant palms. His lips moved fast as he spoke to me, but I couldn't make out the words he was saying.

All my eyes could focus on was what was going on behind him. Two burly men dressed in all black stormed into my penthouse and dragged Brandon's broken body into the elevator, never to be seen again, leaving a trail of blood behind.

"Anastazi," Nathaniel called my name out again, snapping me out of my trance, and my eyes focused back on the beautiful man inches away from me.

"Can you walk?" His voice that sounded so far away was calm and collected as if he wasn't just smashing a man's face into the floor minutes before.

"Yes," I wanted to tell him, but my voice was still missing. I tried to nod, but my body was paralyzed from the immense amount of shock I was in.

"You're okay now," Nathaniel cooed as he scooped me up in his arms, effortlessly pressing my body close against his chest.

We somehow made it all the way down to the parking garage before I noticed we left my penthouse, and as soon as he opened the door to his blacked-out Lamborghini and placed me on the seat, I clung to the end of his shirt, not wanting him to let me go.

Nathaniel brushed his thumb against my cheek, letting me know that I was safe before shutting my door and quickly climbing into the driver's seat beside me.

The first half of the drive towards the unknown destination was filled with comfortable silence, but Nathaniel looked like he was seconds away from exploding. His bloodied knuckles were turning white from how hard he was gripping the innocent steering wheel, and the muscles ticking in his sharp jaw were so tense I thought they were going to pop.

His chest rose heavily, nostrils flaring with every breath he took, and it wasn't until I placed my hand on his arm when he finally calmed down.

"Are you okay?" He asked through a strained voice glancing in my direction for a brief second before sliding his eyes back to the road.

I nodded slowly.

"Speak."

"Yes," I squeaked, surprised that I was able to actually form a word.

Nathaniel nodded before speaking again. "We're on our way to my place. You'll be staying with me until this shit blows over."

"Okay."

"Did he hurt you?"

I paused slightly, rethinking my answer, and chose to lie, not wanting him to get any angrier than he already was if that was possible. "No."

"Anastazi," Nathaniel growled, tearing his eyes away from the road to glare at me. "Don't lie."

"I'm fine."

"Answer the question."

I chewed on my lower lip and fiddled with my fingers trying to figure out a way around his targeted question.

"Please?" He added, in a softer tone making my stomach flip.

I sighed and nodded again.

"Where?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Where Anastazi?" Nathaniel whispered softly, running a hand through his wild hair, trying to keep his cool.

"My back and neck," I muttered in defeat, tucking my hands under my thighs.

"Do you need me to take you to the hospital?"

"No."

"Are you sure—"

"Yes, I'll be fine," I answered quickly, making sure he got the point. I didn't need to go back to the hospital for a bruised neck and back. What I needed was a bed to lay in so I could sleep all this pain away.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nathaniel's hand reach out wanting to touch me for comfort, but he hesitated and placed it back on the steering wheel, choosing against his decision.

The rest of the car ride to Nathaniel's mansion was ridden in silence, and it was until we were parked in his wide driveway when he finally spoke again.

"I have somewhere else to be," he whispered, turning to face me.

My heart sunk at the thought of being all alone in his colossal mansion.

"Stay with me," I pleaded, feeling tears pool in my eyes.

Nathaniel reached out to cup my cheek in his hand, and I leaned into his comforting touch. So many emotions flickered across his face in that moment; pain, rage, remorse, concern, even sadness.

"It won't take long," he promised.

"Then take me with you."

"I can't." His voice was strained, and as soon as I felt his hand trembling against my face, I finally understood.

"Brandon," I whispered.

"He needs to be taken care of."

"Then let the police handle it or the two guys that hauled his body away," I suggested desperately, but he shook his head.

"Don't leave me," I pleaded again, clinging onto his wrist as hot tears streamed down my face.

Being alone was the last thing I wanted after getting assaulted twice in the span of five days. I needed him here with me, but instead, he wanted to go off and play vigilante with the same person that will be haunting my every waking moment.

Nathaniel sighed and pulled out a pair of house keys from his pocket. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Do you need help with anything before I leave?"

I rolled my eyes and snatched the keys out of his hand, and opened the car door. "Don't worry about it, I'm sure his goons will have already kidnapped me by the time you get back."

"Anastazi—"

Before he could finish his sentence, I slammed the door in his face and limped towards the massive front doors before opening them and slamming them behind me as well.

I knew I shouldn't have said that to him, but I felt like I earned the right to be selfish, to want him by my side during this hard time.

I squinted when I flicked on the bright lights letting my vision get adjusted to the new scenery as I slipped off my shoes and placed them on the shoe rack. I then scanned the vast room, and when my eyes landed on the elevator across from me, the scene of the two men dragging Brandon's bloodied body in the elevator of my penthouse flashed through my mind tormenting me over and over again.

I gasped loudly and staggered backward until my back was pressed against the wall, squeezing my eyes shut in hopes that the nightmare in front of me would disappear.

After counting to ten and finally catching my breath, I slowly made my way up the stairs feeling my bones screaming out in agony with every step I took. Still, it was a better alternative than riding in an elevator alone.

It took approximately ten minutes for me to make it to the third floor where Nathaniel's room was located, and as soon as I opened the door to his bedroom, my legs gave out, and I collapsed onto the cool marble floor.

If it wasn't for the fact that I felt utterly disgusting after having Brandon's hand touch my skin, I would've stayed right there on the floor all night, but I needed a shower. I needed to wipe any trace of Brandon so I could finally feel clean.

I pushed myself off the floor and staggered into his massive bathroom, screaming out in pain as I slipped my clothes off in one motion, not caring to be gentle with myself.

After taking five minutes to figure out how to work his shower that had about twenty nozzles, I finally figured out the correct setting and allowed the hot water to abuse my battered skin releasing the tension that had built up over time.

Using the spare loofah I found under the sink and Nathaniel's body wash, I took my time lathering the soap onto my body, inhaling the familiar scent that calmed me down in an instant, but I made the mistake of closing my eyes and the moment I did, Brandon's pale face appeared with his mouth stretched in a wide grin, flashing his rotting teeth.

A blood-curling scream escaped my throat, and I immediately slid down the shower wall and wrapped my arms around my naked body as the hot water pelted me from above.

"He's not real," I kept muttering to myself to ease my anxiety as I rocked back and forth, doing my best to keep my eyes from shutting.

I don't know how long I stayed there, mumbling off like a maniac, doing whatever it took to distract myself from my dark thoughts until I finally heard his voice call out my name.

--

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

788K 25.5K 34
"You really changed" David commented as he sat next to me. I shook my head and smiled. "Not really" I told him and then someone jumped on the cou...
1.7M 53.1K 72
One day you're happy, and the next, a freak accident exposes your boyfriend's dirty little secrets in the worst possible way. I lost the man I loved...
16.2K 343 22
She styles him for one photoshoot...and he doesn't take no for an answer. ↴ ❧ πŒπ€π„π•π„ π‘πŽπ’π„πππ‹πŽπŽπŒ is a small-town girl just trying to mak...
779K 51.1K 99
As he took one last step closer, his muscles made direct contact with every fragment of my body, and I could feel my skin become ten times warmer. "...