Gone Girl

By Siiuews

Veronica Reeves is like every other boring teenager, she has a few close friends and she's secretly in love w... More

Welcome! ♡
Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Rant + Announcement
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
THANK YOU + BOOK 2
GONE GIRL 2 IS OUT NOW!

Chapter 44

1.2K 61 25
By Siiuews

Derek's POV

Just a few moments ago Veronica was screaming in her sleep, she repeated this phrase, "I beg you, stop, please." I got shivers down my spine, I didn't know how to react.

I pull her in for a hug but she quickly breaks it and it hurts me to not be able to help her, I don't understand what happened. Maybe it was just a nightmare but something tells me it's not the first time for her.

She grabs her stuff and sprints towards the door and before I follow her, she closes my door.

I shortly after follow her outside and she doesn't even stop when I yell her name.

"Let me drive you home," I yell and she finally stops, she reaches into her bag and grabs the phone.

I go near her but not too close as I'm not sure of what's okay and what's not okay to do right now.

How can someone change in so little time? What was that nightmare about?

She turns to me and her eyes are droopy and watery.

"This is why it will never work," she starts and as I'm about to speak she stops me. "No, don't bother. You can't understand."

"You aren't even explaining anything, how can I understand what's happening?!" I raise my tone and she keeps her cold stare.

"What do you want me to tell you? How fucking insane I am? Because it's not the first time, neither the last," she yells and I stare at her in disbelief.

Something horrible happened to her because that's the only reason why she would get constant nightmares and her weird reactions... back when she fainted because of that fight with Nicole.

"You shouldn't go through this alone," I mutter and she shrugs.

"Maybe some people are meant to be alone." She turns her back to me and I walk closer to her.

I put a hand on her shoulder and she flinches however she turns to me, again.

"Let me drive you home," I say authoritatively and she seems to hesitate for a few moments but she agrees.

It seems that it's the most I can do for her.

We get into my car and she has her legs towards the door and she is only looking at the window, not even once at me.

"I don't want to pressure you but it's hurting me to see you this way," I say but it almost comes out as a whisper and I know I'm gonna regret asking her about this but I have to.

She is a danger to herself, she needs help.

I just know it's gonna end horribly if she doesn't speak about it and doesn't learn how to cope without alcohol.

Funny I say this now... when I was like her three years ago.

"Don't." She cuts me off and I sigh.

"Did someone hurt you?" I ask and she rolls her eyes, giving me a bitter laugh.

We lock eyes with each other and she quickly looks down.

She hesitates before replying and I already know the answer to the question. I just don't understand what happened, what, or who exactly hurt her.

"Everyone gets hurt," she says switching the subject and I sigh. This is so difficult.

It kinda reminds me of how hard it was to talk about my parents' death. It took me years to open up. I finally did when I broke down in front of Shanice three years ago.

It took me three years to process losing my parents in such a short time.

Then I also ruined most of the opportunities I had in life, and no one wanted to foster me.

"Is this about James?" I ask, thinking of random questions. It seems that it all started at that first party when I first met her and James threatened her. I always regret being so rude to her but I was too drunk.

"No..." she mutters and I'm not convinced of her answer.

"Just accept that we shouldn't- we wouldn't be- good together... anyway," she stutters and she doesn't even bother to look up while I stare at her.

"I think it's for the best we stop hanging out," she finishes and finally looks up at me and I feel a void in my chest.

"Is that what you want?" I ask her hoping she gives me the answer I want to hear.

She looks at me for a few more seconds and then she nods.

I want to hear her say it, I want her to mean it otherwise there is no point.

I'll continue thinking about her and it will end up like each time she said this to me. She keeps changing her mind and it hurts.

I gently grab her hand in mine and she looks at me with glossy eyes.

"Say it."

She hesitates for a few seconds.

"Yes. I want us to stop talking," she finally speaks and I let go of her hand.

I would be lying if I said it doesn't break my heart.

Why does it have to be so complicated?

~

"Nicole?" I ask to make sure I called the right number.

Dominic gave me her number and I just want to find out what happened to Veronica, it doesn't matter that we won't talk anymore, I just need to know who I should murder.

Obviously joking, all thanks to Dominic.

"Yeah?"

"I'm Derek. I wanted to talk to you about Veronica."

"Oh. Ehm, meet me later at Kaylee's cafeteria- I'll send you the address," she says and I can tell she is quite busy right now so I just agree.

I walk into Kaylee's Cafeteria and it smells nice in here, I have never been here before but it's not far from Ronnie's house.

I see Nicole sitting alone at the table and I sit in front of her.

"Hey," I say and she smiles, she looks exhausted.

At least James will stop bothering her after we 'talked' to him. Well, I talked. Dominic didn't.
It's her cousin, after all. I would do the same but for any stranger.

"Can I have a frappuccino?" she tells the waitress and I also ask for a coffee.

"I know it's kinda weird to have you come here but I also have to tell you something," Nicole says taking me by surprise.

"You start," I say and she shifts uncomfortably.

"I want you to stop scaring James. It's not your business." She seems a bit too passive-aggressive and I am surprised. Didn't he hit her? That's what Ronnie told me.

What's with Veronica's friends?

"Veronica asked me to, and it was your cousin that 'did' the most talk," I spit back and she rolls her eyes.

"Regardless, stop. Tell them to stop too. We have a very loving relationship."

What the fuck is she on? This is why Veronica isn't doing good, she has these kinds of friends.

James fucking hit her. Loving relationship my ass.

"Ok," I murmur and I regret the decision to come here, she most likely knows nothing about Ronny. If I were her, I would not go to Nicole for advice.

No wonder Veronica ditched them.

Now I'll have to also tell the boys and it's going to be weird. I'll just go to James and be like: "Yeah, you can go back to hitting her."

The waitress comes with the Frappuccino and the coffee and I drink it fast. Maybe this will wake me up.

"What did you want to ask me about Ronnie?" she questions me in a sweet tone.

"She has nightmares... very frequent flashbacks and I think something happened to her." I struggle to open up to her and she doesn't seem surprised.

"Oh, she has been like this since July, last year." She sips from her frappuccino like nothing bad happened to her friend.

"We never understood why," she finishes and it's like she doesn't even care.

"When I first met her, James harassed her and had her pinned against the wall until I stepped in, it was at my 21st birthday," I explain and Nicole's mouth falls to the floor.

"What?! James did that to her at that party?"

"You didn't know?" I ask her and she seems truly surprised and confused.

"She was defending you because she caught Shanice in bed with James," I explain and she rests her chin on her hand.

"I don't care what you do with James, but he also hurt Veronica several times and I won't sit there and watch," I spit annoyed and she looks up at me, unsure of what to say.

"You care about her... huh," she states and I give her a sad smile.

Yeah, it's true. I've grown to care for Veronica so much despite knowing her only for eight months.

She can stay away from me but I'll always be there for her if she wants to come back.

"So... like, just a few days after that party she completely stopped replying to us. Maybe it was because of James," she explains and it makes sense.

James scared her so much, considering it was her first party that maybe-

But she hung out with him several times after, also went to the parties... no. It's not this, it wouldn't make sense.

She left straight after James did that to her so it must have happened after the party.

What happened to Veronica after?

I remember meeting her and despite everything, she was so innocent and laid back.

Not only her looks completely changed but also her attitude.

"Nicole, I'm so happy to see you!" A middle-aged woman with long hair runs to our table and Nicole stands up to hug her.

"How are you? How's school?" they talk and my mind drifts off, thinking only about Veronica. I just want her to be safe and I don't think I can keep her safe if she keeps me away.

"How's Veronica? I would still hire her back especially if she is homeschooled," the woman asks and my attention is drawn back to her.

"She isn't homeschooled right now, she is behind with classes as well so I doubt she would come back," Nicole explains and I listen carefully. So, Veronica worked here.

I look around for a bit and I see a few people at the tables, three teenagers at a table gossiping loudly, and then in the corner of the room, there is a middle-aged man looking at us, specifically Nicole.

He looks homeless, maybe I should give him some spare.

The woman, which I assume is Kaylee, the owner leaves and Nicole sits down again.

"Veronica worked here?" I ask and she smiles.

"Yeah, she loved this job. She was working to pay her driver's license and car."

Oh. What happened? Her whole life turned around... this hits too close to home.

We both stand up and I pay for her frappuccino as well, despite Nicole rejecting at first.

It's just how I have been taught by my parents.

Nicole walks out before me and I stop for a few moments, analyzing the homeless man.

He is just sitting at the table with an espresso.

Well, he can't be that homeless if he is here.

I walk up to him and he stinks of alcohol and I almost gag, it's even worse than Dominic on his birthdays.

I greet him and put a few dollars on the table and he seems nervous while staring at me in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

"I'm n- not h- homeless," he stutters in a deep voice and I shrug.

I don't take back the money and I walk out without looking back.

Why do they allow this kind of people inside?

——

Thanks for reading! Please don't forget to vote and comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 579 43
They say: 'true love comes only once in a lifetime.' What happens when it appears right at your feet when you least expect it and in one of the most...
1.6M 37.8K 71
"𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐄𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲...
12.2K 683 32
Despite Briar's carefully laid plans, she finds her life in shambles. One fateful night something terrible happens to her and Noah has to step in...
90K 7.4K 79
[Featured by wattpad romance, teen fiction, young adult and psychologicalnovel] Joy Jones was a seventeen-year-old kind and optimistic girl working...