My Best Friend the Rockstar (...

By sbergeron16

He's been my best friend for years, but that spark has always been there. We tried dating once before while I... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Author Note - Final
Book 2 in Steel Wolf
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 4 - 6)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 7 - 11)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 12 - 15)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 16 - 18 )
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 19 - 22)
Dimitri's POV (Chapter 23-24)
Dimitri's POV (Chapter 25-28)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 29-32)
Dimitri's POV (Chapter 33-36)
Dimitri POV (Chapter 37-41)
Dimitri POV Chapter 42-45
Dimitri's POV (Chapter 46 - 49)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 50 - 53)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 54 - 57)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 58 - 62)
Dimitri's POV (Chapter 63 - 66)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 67 - 69)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 70 - 72)
Dimitri's POV (Chapters 73 - 74)

Dimitri's POV (Chapters 1-3)

3.6K 64 8
By sbergeron16

The awaited surprise is that I'm going back and rewriting the book from Dimitri's point of view. I haven't decided how much of it I'm going to write. It all depends on how much Dimitri wants to share. Please if you notice anything in his perspective that clashes with the original story let me know. I want to keep it as close to the original as I can. This is the first time I have ever written anything like this. The different parts will be groupings of the original chapters. I will let you know roughly what chapters each part covers. I won't be able to post a surprise chapter daily, but I'm going to try to do at least one a week. These are going to be much longer than normal chapters because like I said they will be covering more than one chapter normally.  So without further ado here you go.

Dimitri's POV Chapter 1 - 3 

Another CD. Another tour. Another city. Another concert. This is what my life has turned into. I know I shouldn't complain there are so many people out there who would kill for the life I live. For the most part its amazing. I have amazing band mates. We are more like a family than just a band. But something is missing. More accurately someone. 

Never in my wildest dreams did I think a five minute conversation on a sped dating website, which no longer exists might I add, would turn into what it did. To think that happened back when I was eighteen. Back before Steel Wolf was the Steel Wolf it is today. My life has been a crazy ride so far, but there has always been one constant. Skylar.

My best friend. The girls who's heart I foolishly didn't only break once, but twice. The girl that no matter what shit I've thrown her way she has remained in my corner. She has always had my back even when I didn't deserve her to. 

Everyone talks about the one that got away. She's my one. But what makes it even harder is that she's still in my life and has no idea how I feel. Because I'm too much of a chicken shit to say anything. She didn't only give me one chance with her heart, but two. And I fucked it up both times because I was scared. I'm an idiot. 

I need this girl in my life because when she's not I feel like I'm in a dark pit. If she ever gives me a second chance I would hold on with both hands and never let her go. But I'm not in a position to be in a relationship with her and I refuse to break her again. I've done that enough. Not to mention she is in a relationship with some idiot who doesn't deserve her. And what do I do?  

"Time to go guys," one of the crew members inform us from the door. Time to go put on a show and act like I'm blissfully happen when I'm anything but.

I glance down at the glass in my hand and down the remainder of my drink . I can feel my bandmates eyes on me, but I refuse to meet them. Don't want to see the worry and pity that always seems to be present when they look at me. I don't deserve it I did this shit to myself. I fucked up the best thing I could ever hope for. Something more precious than the money and fame I have. I'm talking about love. The kind of love you're lucky if you find it once. I did and I let it slip away from my fingers. And now she's in a relationship and seems happy. 

I trudge behind my band towards the stage. They have learned to not try and engage me in friendly banter anymore, which is hard for Tray. Ryder seems to be the only one who understands. He's been as moody as I've been lately. I need to get ahold of myself before I don't only fuck up my love life, but my career.

I stop before walking onto the stage and get myself into the proper mindset. After a few seconds I plaster a fake smile on my face and run out onto stage to a screaming crowd. I give them the concert they paid for. I play my heart out even though playing music no longer gives me the joy it once did. Only talking to her gives me joy. I count down the minutes of the concert because then I'll get to call her.

Women scream my name telling me the love me and want to marry me. Before I would be all over it. But now I only want one girl telling me they love me. Women stare at me with lust in their eyes and I shutter at the thought of sleeping with someone other than her. What the fuck is wrong with me? Before I had no problem sticking my dick in a willing women and there were many. Hell Aubree's assistant has made it crystal clear she is more than willing to warm my bed. I would have jumped at the chance. But not now. I want something more. Something more with Skylar. But I refuse to drag her into this life. She's happy and that's all I can ask for.

Thankfully the concert is over and I can call her. The fans have no idea that I'm emotionally fucked up. All the see is the rocker I pretend to be. The banter between the guys on stage once came easy and now it's forced.

I go on autopilot for the after the show meet and greet. Tray and Mason are already sizing up the women in the room and deciding which one they are going to fuck. I use to join in with them. Now I find myself hanging back with a brooding Ryder. Lucan is also working the room, but he's more discreate on his intentions.

Everyone leaves except for the lucky chosen ones. More than one female eyes me with hope I'll ask them to stay, but I don't. 

"Hey we were thinking we should go out tonight." Tray says. Then he turns to the women on his arm. "Plus I wouldn't mind being seen with the hot lady on my arm." She erupts in a burst of giggles that gnaw at my nerves.

Mason and Lucan agree to Tray's idea. Right when I'm about to decline Ryder speaks, "Dimitri and I are in."

"We are?" I ask him quietly. I'd rather grab a bottle and nurse myself pity away from everyone. 

"We are," he says firmly. "The band is starting to feel the strain from our fucked up ass. We need to make some changes before all of this falls apart. And that starts with going out tonight and having fun with our friends."

I ponder his words for a moment. He's right something needs to change. "That's right we're in." If I wasn't feeling so shitty I would have laughed at the shocked expressions of Mason, Tray and Lucan.  

Tray and Mason dance in a circle with their chosen ones for the night with glee. Have I really been that much of a dick to them as of late?

Finally we leave and I can call Skylar. Promised the guys I would meet them at the club. They all give me knowing looks. Every single one of that have had to deal with at one point when I was drunk and heard all about Skylar. They have also each given me their individual advice on the manner.

Ryder says I should cut all ties with her because she is seeing someone and I don't want to be that guy who destroys another's relationship. His words hurt the most, but I understand where he is coming from. I'm a mess. Tray and Mason say I should fly out to see her and fuck her out of my system regardless if she has a boyfriend or not. Then again that's their advice for everything. Just go have sex. Lucan says I need to get off my ass and fight for her. Easier said then done.

Once I'm in my hotel room I pull up a picture of her gorgeous face and call her.

  Her musical voice filters through the phone to my ear, "hey what's up?"

"Not much just got out of work and thought I'd give you a call." I hope she can't hear the sadness in my voice. I always try to hide it when we talk. "You seemed down last night when we were texting." That's right Dimitri try to guide her away from your own issues. I flop down on the bed.  

"I'm alright. Vanessa and I just got back from a trail ride. And since when do you call what you do work?" She always sounds happier after she goes riding. But wait isn't today a work day. Did she skip. Something is defiantly wrong is she skipped work. 

She draws laughter from me and I 'm able to slip into my old self, "I do what I want. Playing hooky from work? Now I know something is truly wrong. Spill!" I sit up against the back of the bed.

"Hey can I call you back?" No please don't leave me I just got to hear your voice. "I want to get Renegade settled. I'll call you once I leave here." She says all in a rush. Thankfully I can understand her when she talks fast we have been friends way too long for me not to.

I'll wait for you for as long as you need me to. All I want not to do it talk to you. Shoot I'm suppose to be meeting up with the guys. "I suppose. I was going to go out with the guys tonight." I glance at the clock to see if I can still head out.

"Go out the with guys. I'll text you." I can hear her grunting over the phone as though she is carrying something heavy.

Before I respond I'm already texting the guys letting them know I won't be joining them after all because Skylar needs me. I know they are going to be pissed, but I'm not ready to hang up with her. "Nah. I can go out with them a different night. Plus, I can't remember the last time we were actually able to talk on the phone."

I hear some weird sounds from her side of the phone, "you okay over there?"

"Yeah, I am good," she says breathlessly. "Just trying to get my saddle into the locker while still on the phone. Turned out to be harder than I thought, but I did conquer the task. I can't wait to get home and take a shower." I want to take a shower with you. Stop it Dimitri. Stop it. This is your best friend who you are talking to. Your best friend who you have slept with before.

"Yeah, I can smell you all the way from over here." I tell her trying to stray my thoughts from her being naked in the shower.

"Ha..Ha..Ha you are sooooooo funny." She tells me laughing.

"I know I should give up my line of work and go into comedy." Aren't most comedians depressed? I would fit right in.

Laugher spills from her and when I don't respond she quickly says, "wait, you weren't being serious." She pauses, "were you?"

I hesitate wanting her to think she really had offended me. "Nope. I get more ass doing what I do now." Might as well play up the I'm a rock star image. 

"Of course. Such a guy answer." I can picture her rolling her eyes at my comment. 

"Well hunny last time I checked I am guy." You would know I think to myself.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure." The semi hard dick between my legs speaks for me.

"Fine be a brat." She says. Brat? 

"How am I being a brat?" I ask her. "You of all people should know I'm a guy." Does she not remember the wonderful weekend we shared or the first time we had sex? 

"Sorry I was talking to Renegade." oh she was talking to the horse. Lucky guy.

"I can't wait to meet him!" He's a huge part of her life and I really do want to meet him. 

"Get your butt out here then." She says.

"Babe you know that is easier said than done with work." If I could I'd be there right now. I run my hand though my hair in frustration. 

"Yeah...yeah..yeah, let's see I've made what two trips out to see you?"

"I saw you at your dorm once."

"Only because you were already in town and that chick stood you up. Hell, I wouldn't even had known you were in town if I hadn't of texted you," she snarks at me. 

She must still be pissed at me about that. Not one of my finer moments in our relationship, but it turned out okay. I had a much better time with her than I would have had with Sierra. I shutter at the memory of being with my now ex. She really did a number on me. But like always Skylar was there for me. I'm glad Sierra stood me up. That was the first time Sky and I slept together. On her bathroom floor no less because her roommate was asleep in the bed and Sky refused to do that with her in the room.  

"Skylar really? You know what I was going through. And plus, we weren't talking all that much," I say my voice laced with pain.

"All just small details," she says trying not to sound hurt.

I sign and can't hide the frustration from my voice. "I was being deployed and dealing with Sierra."

"I know," she states softly that I almost didn't hear her. 

"Babe. Please?" I pled with her sliding back down in the bed. 

"Okay okay."

I hear another women's voice on the other end of phone say, "I'm about to head home."

She must have pulled the phone away from her face because her voice sounds far away, "me too. I'm beat."

I hear her say my name, but I can't make out what the other women said. They exchange a few words, but all I can make out is when she says, "Still true all the same." 

My curiosity get the best of me and I ask, "what's true?"

She tells me, "nothing. Nothing at all." I know she's hiding something.

Once again laugher breaks free, "why do I not believe you?" I seem to only be able to truly laugh with her. 

"I have no clue. That's your problem not mine." I love it when Skylar gets snarky with me.

"Yeah yeah yeah whatever you say babe."

"I'll catch you later!" She calls out to someone. 

"You on your way home yet?" I'm ready to have her all to myself. Well at least as much as I can. I have to remind myself she has a boyfriend. Hence another reason we can't be together. Why do I keep forgetting about the boyfriend? I should feel some guilt, but I don't. 

"About to head to my car now." She tells me.

"Okay good." I hear a car door open and close before I speak again. "So, spill what's going on?" 

"Ken dumped me last night." She can barely get the words out. Is she crying over that jackass. Wait did she just say her and Ken broke up? Chill Dimitri chill. 

"Please tell me you aren't crying over that jackass?" She start to sob into the phone. My sweet girl is heartbroken. "Baby please don't cry. He's not worth these tears. He not worth another minute of your time."

"Your right. But I can't help, but wonder that there is something wrong with me." She continue her rant before I can interject. "I mean the only common factor in all my failed relationships is me. So, by default there must be something wrong with me."

"Babe you know that's not true." Your perfect. Its the rest of us who are the fuck up. Present company included. 

"Come on Dimitri. We attempted to date not once, but twice." My arms feel empty wanting to hold her and take away the pain. Instead I hug one of the pillows in the bed.

"We never once didn't work because we weren't good together." I tell her.

"I know, I know. Just crappie timing."

"Exactly." We lapse into a comfortable silence. Both lost in the past of the second time I didn't just break her heart, but destroyed it.

She doesn't think I know how dark that time got for her. Harper had no problem calling me frequently to fill me in on what was going on. I would hold me breath between those calls. I never wanted to hurt her, but once again I was young and dumb. I didn't want to fight for what I really wanted instead I took the easy way out. 

There was one phone call that almost broke me to the point I was searching for plane tickets. The only reason I didn't fly out was because Harper told me I had to let her go for now and allow her time to heal. That me showing up would only make matters worse not better. The news she shared with me was Skylar was thinking about committing suicide. I've never felt so useless because no matter what she was my best friend. I had to rely on Harper to get her though it. Thank God she was there. 

I shake my head pulling myself from that dark time and call out her name, "Skylar. Hello earth to Skylar. Do you copy?"

"Sorry I was thinking about the conversation we had the last time we tried to make things work."

"Babe please don't go down that path. I was a complete idiot. That stuff is in the past and should stay there." I say.

"But I would be lying to you if I didn't say I'm still slightly hurt."

"You have no idea how very sorry I am. And you are right to feel the way you do. I treated you like shit back then. I'm just so glad we are back talking again."

"Wanna know something funny?"

"Of course."

"I feel lost when I don't hear from you. Almost like I need to talk to you every day."

My heart stutters for a moment that I almost forget to answer her. Maybe we are on the same page. "I feel the same way." I say softly. I can't stop the goofy grin from spreading across my face.

"I just got home let me get settled in my room and I will call you back."

"Okay beautiful. Sounds like a plan to me."

"Love you." I smile thinking about how we no longer say just has friends. Haven't done that in years actually. 

"Love you too."

She hangs up and I snuggle into the bed awaiting for when he is going to call me back.

~*~

A shrilling ring awakens me, fuck Aubree and her wake up calls. I was awoken from a wonderful dream of Skylar and me in bed together. I glace down at my morning wood. Yep another cold shower this morning. But before I do I text her good morning like I do everyday.

I drag myself out of my bed and into the shower. Thoughts of her filter thorough my head like they always do. I'm not looking forward to having to deal with guys after I stood them up last night. Lucan won't care and I highly doubt Mason and Tray will either. They have become use to me being absent. Ryder is the one who is going to be pissed at me.

I leave the shower and dry myself off. Throwing on the first set of clothes I can find. I only had brought a backpack and a few things to the room since we were only staying one night. The only reason why we stayed was because Tray refused to be forced to use the shower on the bus one more time without being able to use one at a hotel. He can really be a whinny bitch sometimes.

My phone beeps telling me I got a text, but I need to finish packing before I can respond. Once I'm all set I check to see what she sent.    

Morning Handsome. How'd you sleep?

Eh okay. I tossed and turned a bit. I got more sleep then the other guys. You?

Same. I didn't want to get up this morning.

That sucks. I feel yeah though. How are things going with the job?

When she doesn't respond right away I trudge myself down stairs. Oddly no one else is there. Must have been a rough night. I check out front and the bus is already waiting. Maybe I was the late one? When get on Mason and Tray are sprawled out on the couch we have claiming they will never drink again.

"There you are!" Madison, Aubree's assistant for the tour, calls out to me from the door. "We were wondering when you would make an appearance." She sticks her chest out and goes to take a step on the bus I hold my hand out stopping her.

"Wow you know the rules no females allowed on the bus."

She pouts, "can't you make this exception for me once. I promise I will make it worth it." She eys me like a piece of meat.

Lucan storms past her, "Madison if you value your job you wouldn't push your luck. Like Dimitri said no girls allowed on the bus."

"No exceptions," Tray yells from inside.

"Even I'm not allowed on the bus," Aubree says indicating Madison should leave. She does, but not before turning to me with a wink. Aubree shakes her head, "that girl has it bad."

"Not my problem," I mutter. 

"Well you and Lucan were the last two we were waiting on. Time to get a move on if we want to make it in time to the concert.

I walk away from Aubree without saying a word and toss my bag onto my bunk. I check my phone and see Skylar finally texted me back. 

It goes. I love what I do. I love working with the kids and helping them continue their education.

I sense a but in there somewhere.

I don't know. Just ready for summer break. The burn out is real.

Only a few more weeks and then you will be free to let your hair down! Or are you teaching summer school?

Not this summer. I decided to give myself a true summer vacation.

She's not working summer school that's a first. Wonder how much work it would be to add an extra city to the roster. We've done it before. For the first time in a long time I feel hope. I send a quick text to Aubree about it.

"Dude stop hiding," Lucan calls out to me. "We need to run though some of the new shit."

"Yeah stop texting her and lets go," Tray says making kissing faces. I can't wait till he falls. Then maybe he would grow up a little bit.

"Can you grab Ryder before you head back," Lucan asks.

"Yeah sure." 

Good you deserve an actual summer vacation. Well we are about to start practice. I'll text you when I get a chance.

Sounds good. I just got to the school anyways. Love you!

Love you too beautiful.

I take a steadying breath and go in search of Ryder. Out of all the guys Ry and I have the most history together. He's been my best friend since we were in diapers. I hate that I upset him last night, but I need to face the music so to speak. 

Him and I were the ones to start Steel Wolf. Mason joined our duo because he is actually Ryders ex step brother. Yes I said ex step brother. That's a story for another day. I met Lucan in Junior High and brought him into our trio. Lucan and I went to different schools from Mason and Ryder. Tray was the final member to join our group. Tray was new to the school when Mason befriended him and he basically forced his way into the group. But I'd have it no other way. These guys are my brothers. But laity I haven't been treating them as such.

I catch Ryder laying on the bed in back. We try to take turns on who gets to use the bed. "Hey man," I say hesitantly propping a hip against the door frame.

He turns his troubled eyes to me, "I'm worried about you. You used to tell me everything."

I stand up straighter, "I'm not the only one keeping secrets. You haven't exactly been yourself either."

He huffs and glances away from me. "Guess not."

We lapse into an awkward silence. When I can't take it any longer I blurt out, "her boyfriend broke up with her."

"What are you going to do?" He asks propping his head up on his arms.

"Nothing," I say running a hand through my hair and sitting on the bed.

"Your an idiot. This girl has had you tied up in knots for years. Your single. She's single. What more do you need?" He tells me as though I'm stupid. "Enough is enough. Man the fuck up."

"Its not that easy."

He gives me a look that screams yeah right, "you're the one who making it not easy. You forget I've seen you when she is and isn't talking to you and out of all the years this is the first time she hasn't been able to bring you out of your depression. Why do you think that is?"

I start to pace the room pondering his words. He's right whenever Skylar and I are on talking terms life has so much more meaning and when we aren't I feel like something is missing. I stop in my pacing when I realize why. "Because I love her. Truly love her. And I'm tired of just being her friend. I'm tired of this game we are playing. I want her with me for forever."

Ryder sits up, "he finally sees the light. So like I asked before what are you going to do about it."

I sigh, "my answer still hasn't changed. I can't ask her to give up her life for me. Not again," I say more softly. 

"Shouldn't that be her decision to make? Not yours." 

Damn him. "I don't know."

"Well you better figure it out because you can't keep going like this. The band can't keep going like this."

I nod my head he's right. Ryder has given my much to think about. "I did do something," at his raised brow I continued. "I asked Aubree to look into adding a show in Chicago."

"Isn't that where she's from?"

I offer him a guarded smile, "yes. Please don't tell anyone why."

"Don't worry your secret is safe with me. For what its worth I hope we are able to make it to Chicago."

"Thanks man. I almost forgot Lucan wants to run through some of the new songs before we make it to the concert."

He jumps off the bed, "alright let's go."

My phone chimes before I leave the room. The text is from Aubree and she asks when I was thinking about adding the show. I told her June and gave her the weekend of what I hope was the start of Skylar's summer vacation. Her response is fast and professional as usually. I swear that girl needs to not work so much. She said that date should work as long as she can find a location. I doubt she will have a problem we are Steel Wolf after all.

The rest of the day is a blur. We spent a majority of it running through song after song and for the first time things felt normal. I actually even laughed and smiled for real. This time with the guys was much needed. For the first time in a long time I was looking forward to walking on stage. 

We were sitting in the dressing room waiting to go on when I realized it was weird that I hadn't heard from Skylar all day. She might not get back to me right way, but usually she responds at some point. This wasn't her normal. I check my phone and want to hit myself in my head. I can't believe I forgot to hit send. I really am such an idiot. Should I text her now? I check the time. We still have some time. I decide to call her, but it rings for awhile and goes to voicemail.

She'll call me back I keep telling myself over and over. I fill a glass half way with scotch and take a drink returning to my seat. The guys would rather drink whiskey, but not me. Finally my phone pings I have message from her.

Hey sorry I missed your call! I was getting ready! Have fun at the show tonight. Love you!

I think about texting her back, but the drive to hear her voice over rules the idea of texting her so I call her.

Sorry I'm running a little behind. Traffic was worse than I thought. I should be there soon." She says in a rush. Probably thinking I'm someone else. But who? I sit up tall in my seat.

"As much as I wish you really were almost here I have a feeling you thought someone else was calling." Crap I hope I didn't sound as insecure as I feel. 

"Sorry! Yeah. I'm running late to meet up with everyone." She's going out tonight? "Didn't expect you to text me back so soon let alone call. Show not start yet?"

"No, it did. The opening acts are still on the stage. I just wanted to hear your voice today. I miss you." I drum my fingers on the arm of the chair getting more and more aggravated at the thought of her going out and since she's single who knows what could happen.

"Have you been drinking?"

"I only had one small glass of Scotch." Lies. 

"Hmmmm"

"What?"

"Nothing. I miss you to."

Someone pops their head in telling us we are needed on stage. Sadly its time to get off the phone and on to work.

"I have to go they are looking for me."

"Have a great show!"

"Love you beautiful."

"Love you to!"

I hang the phone up and start to follow the guys out of the room. The happiness I was feeling about getting on stage disappears. Now all I feel is anger about her going out and meeting something. But what can I do all the way over here? I shake my and focus on the task at hand.

~*~

Here I sit alone at the hotel room. We all decided that a night in to get some sleep and rest was what we needed. The concert ended awhile ago. I had broken down and sent her a couple of text during the show and a could after, but she never responded. Even tried calling. Nothing. She met someone. I take another drink from the bottle.

The only good news I got after the concert was that Aubree was able to make my request a reality. We were suppose to have the time off, but she was able to work her magic. Even the guys were excited about playing a show in Chicago and spending the night there. So all of that was working in my favor. Now if only she would return my calls and texts. 

Being the weak person that I am I send her one more text. Telling her to simply call me. Now I'm getting really worried. I almost reach out to her mom to make sure she really is okay. Thankfully I don't because she finally calls me five minutes later. I spring up from the bed and start to pace the room. 

 "Are you okay? What's wrong? What going on?" Is how I answer my phone. Smooth Dimitri really smooth. You don't sound desperate at all. 

"Dimitri. Dimitri!" She has to call my name several times before I close my mouth to let her speak. "I'm fine. I just had my phone on silence while I was inside the bar."

I let out the breath I didn't even know I was holding. "I was really worried. You never not answer me."

"It was bound to happen at some point," she snaps at me. This is not normal. 

"Anyways.....what are you doing now?" I ask her trying to get the conversation back on track.

"Nothing much just heading home. How about you?"

"Chilling in the hotel room," I tell her laying back on the bed.

"Oh? Are you feeling okay?" She asks me in a concerned tone. 

"Yeah...why do you ask?"

"Because this isn't your normal MO." Damn that's right I've been playing up about going out every night ever since she had started dating that jackass. But now that's over.  

"Maybe, I'm trying something new," I inform her putting my hands behind my head.

"Hmmmm." 

"I don't always have to go out and plus I was too worried about you. How was your night?" I run through my words hoping she doesn't pick up on how desperate for her I've become. 

Takes her a long time to respond and is that a text notification I hear? "I had a great time! I really enjoyed seeing everyone outside of barn chores."

"I'm glad you had a great time. You deserve a night out every now and again." Lier. Lier. Lier. You hate the idea of her going out unless it is with you. Now that's something I'd be okay with.

"Only every now and again?" She asks me in a teasing voice.

"Yes ma'am. I don't need you meeting some guy and you not having enough time for m.. Renegade." I spring up in bed. Shit I almost blew my cover. I hope she didn't hear my mishap

"Is that so? You're just looking out for Renegade?" Fuck she did.

"Exactly." 

Was that not what she wanted to hear because right after I said it we lapse in to an awkward silence. Then out of no where she laughs. What they fuck is going on? I run my hand through my hair. It really is a bad habit of mine.

 "What's so funny?" I ask her hoping it's not because of some guy.

 "Nothing," she stammers. "I was reading a text from a friend," she finishes quickly too quickly. Now who is the liar Skylar? Who the fuck is she talking to? All I want to do is scream my frustration.

But instead of confronting her I chicken out and go for anger. "You know you shouldn't be texting and driving." I scolds her. "I don't want the next time I see you to be you laying in a casket."

"Sorry I've put the phone down."    

 "Thank you."

Fuck we slip into another silence. What is happening to us? I scramble my brain in search of something to stay. I can't lose her. In the past whenever we had more silence on the phone then conversation we would end up not talking for awhile. That can't happen. I won't let it. 

"What are your plans for the weekend?"

"Sitting on a bus and heading to the next location." I say dryly not looking forward to getting back on the buss.

"You sound so excited." She knows me so well.

A sigh escapes. "I'm just tried of the road and moving from city to city. Plus, I really miss you."

"Too bad you guys aren't coming to Chicago." She states nonchalantly. I couldn't have asked for a perfect lead into let her know about the show.

"Well......" I say letting the word float in the air between us.

"Well what," she demands. She as always impatient. 

"I wanted to surprise you, but I'm just too excited." I pause for a second. "We are adding a concert to the tour and it happens to be in Chicago."

"When," she screeches so loudly that I have to hold the phone way from my ear.

"The middle of June. I planned it hoping you would be done with school by then."

"Oddly we didn't have any snow days this year. So," now she pauses for a moment. "My last day will be the first Friday in June."

"Great the concert is scheduled for the following Saturday. They are going to be posting the information to the website in the next couple of days."

"I really hope I can get tickets." she says. "I'm sure they will sell out fast."

I chuckle. Baby you have nothing to worry about. Of course you will be getting tickets. Especially since you are the only reason we are doing this. "You already know that I'm setting aside some for you. I was figuring you plus four friends."

"Sounds like plan to me. You good with more people knowing that I know you?"

"I've never cared about that. You are the only one who has some strange worry about people knowing you know me. I'm starting to think you are embarrassed of me or something."

Its true. I've wanted the world to know that we knew each other, but there was something always holding her back. I get it knowing someone famous could cause some issues. But come on. We were Facebook friends back in the day, but once the band started getting big she unfriended me. 

"I'm not embarrassed of you," she tells me softly. 

My next sentence slips out before I can stop it. "Sure, could have fooled me."

"If you would let me finish." She says with an attitude I haven't heard in awhile, "I don't want people using me and trying to get to you."

"I'm not that big of a rock star." I say plainly. 

"Not that big of a rock star. Please. I'll continue speaking with you once you stop sprouting such bullshit."

"If only I was there right now, I would be tickling you till you agreed with me."

"We shall see."

"Yep in three weeks to be exact."

"Three weeks. We will not only be in the same state and city, but the same location. I cant wait!"

"Me either. Believe you me." A yawn slips out. I should really be getting to bed, but I want to make sure she makes it home safe and sound first. 

"You should go to sleep if your tried."

"Not till I know you are safe in your bed."

The conversation continues to flow about how we are both excited to see each other. The last time we saw each other was a long time ago. So, much has changed since then. We have both changed since then, but have somehow managed to stay close. Then another idea comes to me.

"I'm going to try and convince them to get to Chicago earlier. Maybe we can hang out Friday night." I'm dying to see her. 

"I'm suppose to be going to this club with some friends to celebrate Alex's birthday," she tells me sounding sad.

Wanting to chase her sadness away I ask, "what's the name of the place. Maybe I can work something out."

"Starlite Ultra."

"Such an ordinary name," I say chuckling to myself.

"I didn't pick the place." She says trying to defend herself. Then she says the three words I didn't really want to hear, "well I'm home."

"Already?"

She tells me we have been talking for forty five minutes already and the fight against my eyelids is getting harder and harder.

"Guess I need to get to bed. Another city. Another concert."

"Sounds to me like you need something to help you with this last leg of your tour."

"Truth. And I'm learning it's not at the bottom of a bottle." Yet another yawn slips out, but I'm not ready to let her go. If only she was next to me in bed. 

We fall into another moment of silence and I lose the battle against sleep.

She wakes me my up calling my name, "Dimitri? Dimitri?" 

"Sorry. Guess I was more tired than I thought," I say my voice laced with sleepiness.

"I'm home safe and sound. Will you now go to sleep? Or I shall I have to record you snoring and share it with your fans." She wouldn't. Who am I kidding she would. 

"Nooooo! You'll ruin my bad boy image."

She tires to hide her laughter behind a laugh, "we can't have that now can we?"

"No we can't." I fucking yawn again. Guess it's time to admit defeat. "Good night baby. Love you."

"Love you too. Sleep well."

"Talk tomorrow?" I ask hopefully. I need to hear her voice.

"Of course."

"Good," I say hanging up the phone and snuggling into a pillow wishing it was her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 213 38
A whirlwind romance that all starts with a joint in a hotel room... Excerpt "Are you going to say anything?" He asks softly interrupting my thoughts...
1.1K 275 56
"You're supposed to be my best friend, but all I can think about is kissing you again." TEDDY: I somehow got stuck in the unfortunate "one of the guy...
15.3K 1.1K 47
Colliding with a famous rock band vocalist was an accident, but dating him was a choice. Samantha Morris felt at a crossroads after graduating from...
1.6K 51 44
- I truly believe that soulmates will always end up together. No matter how much love got lost, no matter how much distance there was, if it's meant...