Damage Control

By mrbobvin

"You seem to have forgotten who I am," he whispered, caging me in with his arms once again. His stubbled face... More

Authors Note
Character Aesthetics
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Epilogue
Acknowledgments

Chapter 33

55.2K 1.5K 1.7K
By mrbobvin

Nathaniel slammed the door in my face before I had time to challenge his shocking words. All the tears I'd been holding back poured down my face as I stumbled out of the mansion blindly, the tears blurring my vision.

I knew the consequences of saying what I said to him, but someone needed to say it, and I was glad it was me despite losing everything I'd been working so hard for over the past year.

A part of me regretted mentioning his mother; I knew it was wrong and out of line, but I wasn't thinking. I allowed my emotions to take control over me—over my words, but it was too late to take it all back.

Through all the chaos, I somehow managed to make it back to my penthouse in one piece physically, but emotionally, I was a wreck.

I had an ear-splitting headache from all the tears I've cried since leaving his house, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I trudged into my bedroom and threw my purse on the floor before shifting my eyes to the clock sitting on my nightstand as I flopped lazily on my fluffy bed. It was well after 3 AM, but it didn't matter because I wouldn't be waking up for work tomorrow anyway.

Another wave of rage flowed through my veins as the realization hit. Not only was I out of a job, but my company was done as well, the same company I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into.

And in the blink of an eye, it was all taken away from me.

Even though Nathaniel had no probable cause to fire me, I knew he would make something up for the board to believe, so there was no point in fighting it—fighting him. He won, and I was just going to have to accept that no matter how hard it was.

My eyes fluttered shut as I thought about what my next business move was going to be, but my body was too exhausted to figure out a solution. I sighed heavily as I greeted the darkness with open arms, thankful to finally get a break from my current reality.

~

By the time I woke up the next morning, it was nearing 3 PM, and I had no desire to get out of bed. After staring up at the ceiling for an hour, processing the events that took place last night, I forced myself to get up and shuffled into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

Around this time, I'd be at work with Carter in my office, talking my ears off as I tried to get his work done but the end of the day. I never imagined I'd actually miss those little moments that seemed so unimportant at the time, but here I am. As I dragged my feet across the marble floor leading into the kitchen to grab a bag of chips and a bottle of wine, I allowed my thoughts to wander elsewhere, specifically to him.

Tears pricked my eyes as I continuously replayed his words in my head, "You're fired." My stomach churned with uneasiness, and I suddenly felt nauseated as if I was going through a bad break-up.

Did he regret firing me? Was this just some rash decision he made in the heat of the moment? Or did he actually mean it?

So many questions circled my brain as I plopped down on the velvet sectional in my living room, turning on the TV and scrolling down to Netflix. I couldn't remember the last time I had a day to myself between my work with Nathaniel and Stella, constantly trying to spend every moment making memories with me and the others.

As soon as I snuggled into my blanket with a glass of wine in my hand and chips on my lap, getting ready to feel sorry for myself as I drown my existence in Grey's Anatomy, the elevator dinged, alerting me that I had a visitor on their way up. No more than ten seconds later, the doors slid open, revealing Stella's small frame. Her arms were crossed against her chest, and I immediately knew I was about to get bombarded with questions just by the look on her face.

"What the hell did you do to him?" Stella exclaimed as she stormed into my penthouse, brows furrowed in confusion.

"What are you talking about?" I sighed wearily, glancing up from the TV to look at my highlighter friend.

"What am I talking about?" She repeated in disbelief as if I was missing something. "Did Carter not tell you?"

I shook my head, wondering why she was acting like her hair was on fire.

"Nate literally just fired almost all of his employees this morning; it's literally on the fucking news," Stella revealed through wide eyes.

How dramatic of him.

"Nice to know I'm not the only one."

"Excuse me, what?" Stella choked out as she quickly took a seat to hear more. "Nate fired you?"

I nodded slowly and shoved a potato chip in my mouth.

"When the fuck did this happen?"

"Last night, we got into an argument after you so kindly left me at his house alone." I glared over at her, letting it be known that I didn't forget what she did, and she shot me an apologetic smile before blowing a kiss in my direction.

I'll deal with her some other time.

"Anyway," I continued with an eye roll as I placed the bag of chips next to me. "I ended up mentioning his mother."

Stella's jaw dropped to the floor in complete and utter shock.

"And said that she'd be disappointed if she were alive to see him now." I hung my head low, feeling a stabbing pain in the pit of my stomach.

Guilt.

"Stazi," Stella whispered in a strained voice, completely speechless.

"I know," I sighed and dragged a hand down my face. "I fucked up, but I was just so fucking angry; I couldn't stop what came out of my mouth. In that moment, I felt like he deserved it, but now I feel like shit, but it's too late to take it back; what's done is done.

"And that's why he fired you," Stella concluded, her bright eyes still wide.

I nodded again as I picked up the bag of chips and stuffed a few more into my mouth.

Food therapy.

"But what about your company?"

I shrugged, not wanting to think about that. As of right now, her guess was as good as mine.

"I don't know who I should be mad at, you or him?" She whispered lowly, almost to herself.

"That's not fair, Stella." I clenched my jaw, shaking my head in disbelief. "So it's okay for him to degrade me, treat me like nothing, speak down on my dead father multiple times however he pleases, but the one time I step out of place, I'm the bad guy."

I could feel my blood pressure rising as my fists curled in anger. I'll admit that I fucked up in more ways than I expected, but I refused to sit here and allow her to victimize her cousin as if he could do no wrong.

"But two wrongs don't make a right, Stazi—"

"I'm not saying it does," I snapped back irritably, trying my hardest to stay calm. "I'm just saying he's no fucking saint, so stop acting like he's innocent."

"You're right," Stella sighed, realizing how true my words were. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine."

"So, what now?"

I shrugged again and placed my head in my lap, not knowing how to answer her question.

"I know what you need," she chirped brightly after I didn't speak.

Oh no.

"Friends Night Out!"

"Stella," I looked up wearily at my oblivious friend. "I literally lost my job and company because you wanted to have movie night at my bosses house after I told you I didn't want to go and after you promised me he wouldn't be there, so forgive me for not wanting to go anywhere with you until I figure out what the fuck I'm going to do. Until then, I'm fine sulking right in the comfort of my home."

"I know, I fucked up, and I'm really, really sorry, but this isn't healthy, Stazi."

"Look me in my eyes and ask me if I care."

"Do you—"

"Stella." I narrowed my eyes.

"Sorry, sorry." She held her hands up, surrendering. "But seriously, you need a friend's night out."

"No, I don't." I grabbed the remote off the coffee table in front of me to resume the show she so rudely interrupted.

"Wait, wait, wait, it won't be like the last time," Stella rushed, seeing that I was getting ready to ignore her. "We can go to some carnival in the city; you'd never run into Nate there."

"We?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Me, you, Theo, Carter, and Gabrielle."

"So I can be a fifth wheel again? No thanks, you can see your way out." I nodded towards the elevator doors before shifting my attention back to the widescreen. But just as I was getting ready to press play, Stella snatched the remote out of my hand.

"Stella—"

"Please, Stazi? I don't want you sitting around, feeling sorry for yourself; you need to get out and take your mind off of things."

"No, give me the remote."

"Okay, how about this, we go to the carnival, but if you truly don't enjoy yourself you just say the word and we're out of there," Stella suggested, ignoring my order.

"Tempting, but no."

"Please, Stazi? I'm trying to be a good friend here and make up for what I did," she pouted as she twirled the end of her ponytail with her index finger looking at me through sad eyes.

"By dragging me to another place I don't want to go to like last time? What a good friend you are," I rolled my eyes as I stretched my hand out, waiting for her to give me the remote back.

"I'm not leaving until you say yes." Stella crossed her arms and snuggled deeper into the chair she was sitting in.

"God, you're so fucking annoying," I grumbled, whipping the blanket off my warm body. "If I go, this is the last time I'm doing friends anything for a while; I have to get my affairs in order since your cousin so kindly fired me."

Stella nodded eagerly, knowing this was the best she'd get out of me.

"Deal."

"What time?" I mumbled, pinching the bridge of my nose in irritation. I just needed to get this night over with, so I could focus all my attention on figuring out what I was going to do next concerning my company, or lack thereof.

"6 PM."

I narrowed my eyes. "You came here to pick me up, didn't you?"

Stella clamped a hand over her mouth and giggled. "Maybe."

"I hate you."

"You could never."

"I beg to differ," I mumbled, lifting myself off the couch to get ready for yet another long night.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little happy to get out of the house for a while to get my mind off of my current situation, but deep down inside, I knew I should've stayed home.

--

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 3.8K 26
A chance encounter 10 years previous has come back into Mia's life but he's not just anyone, he is the Tsar of Russian Mafia. Mia is a good girl. A g...
1.7M 38.7K 69
โYou Might Be My Angel In Public, But You're My Whore In Bed.โž โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” "Are you ready for me baby?" I nodded my head licking my lips seductivel...
779K 51.1K 99
As he took one last step closer, his muscles made direct contact with every fragment of my body, and I could feel my skin become ten times warmer. "...
784K 21.8K 40
'๐’‰๐’‚๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’Ž๐’† ๐’…๐’๐’†๐’”๐’'๐’• ๐’„๐’‰๐’‚๐’๐’ˆ๐’† ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’‡๐’‚๐’„๐’• ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐‘ฐ ๐’˜๐’‚๐’” ๐’Š๐’๐’”๐’Š๐’…๐’† ๐’š๐’๐’–.' |18+| โLook at you so open and sexy bent over...