For What It's Worth

By frankiekate

Escaping a toxic relationship, Isabelle Dunn endeavors to find herself a new life. Some how, she finds hersel... More

For What It's Worth
Chapter One : New Beginnings
Chapter Two : When It Rains, It Pours
Chapter Three : Split Ends
Chapter Four: We Are Not Friends
Chapter Five : Square One
Chapter Six : Dreamcatcher
Chapter Seven : What Goes Around
Chapter Eight : Kiss Me Quick
Chapter Nine : Good Friends
Chapter Ten : Sisters, Secrets and Stargazing
Chapter Eleven : Fantasy
Chapter Twelve : Hopelessly Devoted
Chapter Thirteen : Sweet Suffocation
Chapter Fifteen : Quick Fix
Chapter Sixteen : Baby Steps
Chapter Seventeen : Deep Dive
Chapter Eighteen : Temptation
Chapter Nineteen : Tequila
Chapter Twenty : Safe
Chapter Twenty One : Toxic
Chapter Twenty Two : Mom's The Word
Chapter Twenty Three : Strike
Chapter Twenty Four: Feelings Taking Flight
Chapter Twenty Five: I Do
Chapter Twenty Six : Skeletons In The Closet
Chapter Twenty Seven : She Used To Be Mine
Chapter Twenty Eight : Falling
Chapter Twenty Nine : Intoxicated
Chapter Thirty : Birthday Suit
Chapter Thirty One : The Calm Before
Chapter Thirty Two : Code Blue
Chapter Thirty Three : All While I'm Asleep
Chapter Thirty Four : Ghost
Chapter Thirty Five : Escape Room
Chapter Thirty Six : Achingly
Chapter Thirty Seven : Lovesick
Chapter Thirty Eight : Yours And Mine
Chapter Thirty Nine : The Storm
Chapter Forty : Thin Ice
Chapter Forty One : Nightmare Before Christmas
Chapter Forty Two : Ammunition
Chapter Forty Three : Always
Chapter Forty Four : Everything

Chapter Fourteen : It Comes In Waves

5.8K 139 86
By frankiekate

I T C O M E S I N W A V E S

Isabelle

Sam drives for just over forty five minutes until he smoothly swings into the parking lot. I get out of the car and eagerly move around to the railings that overlook the seafront. I stand with my hands on the metal, watching the blue waves roll over and lap onto the shore frothing when they meet the golden sand. The orange sun is beginning to set, slowly falling down into the horizon. The sky is filled with a pink tint, not a single cloud in sight. It looks like we probably only have another hour before it gets dark.

Thomas and Sam silently join me, also admiring the view. I stand between them, lifting my head to smell the sea breeze, listening to the sounds of the birds sweeping above and other people laughing. Thomas amorously leans on me from behind, his fingertips gently resting on my side.

"Hey guys!" Owen's familiar voice calls out. All three of us, look around until we find Owen, Wesley and Charlie poking their heads out of the open windows of Owen's car. Thomas steps away from me at the sight of them.

I try my hardest not to frown to myself, concern running through me. Does he not want to be seen touching me in front of his friends? Is he embarrassed? Does he think he has to uphold his reputation in front of his boys? I shove the stupid thought to the side and move forward with Thomas and Sam to greet everyone, plastering on a big smile.

Wesley quickly hugs me while I just nod and smile to the other two. There's no way I'm letting Charlie hug me. Sam helps Charlie and Owen unpack as an unfamiliar car beeps several times at us.

"Oh, that's Paige." Wesley beams and practically skips over to where she's done a bad job at parking her car. She hops out and he spins her around in a happy embrace. Just watching them makes me smile. But inside, it makes me twinge because it now seems like Thomas wouldn't want to do that with me in front of his friends - other than Sam.

My smile drops when I spot Paige's other friends and Cassidy getting out the other side of the same car.

"Oh Jesus Christ." I complain, huffing. I turn my back so she's out of my view because the more I look at her, the angrier I feel myself getting.

"What? What's wrong?" Thomas tilts his head, stepping back to get a better look at me. I gesture my head over to her direction.

"I didn't realize she was going to be here." I was actually really looking forward to having a chilled out evening on the beach with everyone. But not her. Now I want to go home. Actually - fuck that. I shouldn't let her determine how I feel.

"Neither. But it's going to be fine, she's not actually that bad, Is." I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Yeah of course you'd sat that." I snap back. He goes to speak but I cut him off before he has the chance. "I'm joking." I clarify. Well, I was kind of joking. "We're not getting back into that." I shake my head.

"You should just go over there and say hello. You know... try to be nice and maybe make friends with them." He suggests and I almost laugh at him.

"First of all, how dare you. I am nice." He chuckles. "Second, I don't want to be friends with them. And third, I have friends that I like already. I don't need anymore, especially not girls like her." He shifts his weight, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You're so stubborn." He comments.  

"I thought you would've figured that out by now."

**

The boys set up a circle of chairs on the sand, cracking open bottles of beer to have. Sam doesn't want to drink because he said he'd drive home, despite Thomas and I both offering. He asks if anyone wants to go in the water. I agree because I don't particular feel like hanging out with the girls who are silently sunbathing in the last hour of the sun. Obviously that excludes Paige. She is the only one of them I like.

I change out of my denim shorts and crop top, my black bikini on underneath. After having to listen to all of Charlie's comments that he thinks are seriously smooth and working, myself and Sam swim out through the clear water. We go deep enough so the warm water covers my shoulders but so my feet can still touch the ground.

Sam often disappears underneath the surface, swimming around in a circle around my legs, picking up any cool shells he can find. He tells me how, as a kid, he used to collect them and make necklaces for his Mom. He comes back after retrieving his fourth shell. His wet hair hangs over his face, straightened out by the water, almost covering his eyes

"Sam. You really should have a haircut. Your hair is getting so long I'm surprised you can see."

"I'll have one, but only if you do it." I smile and nod in agreement. He pauses, cocking his head to look over my shoulder.

Slowly, I swivel my way around in the water, following his gaze. There's a girl walking alone along the shore in a white sundress, with a large photography camera in her hands. She bends down, looking through the lens at the distant sunset. She has long ginger hair that sprays out behind her in the breeze.

"Do you want to go over and say hi?" I question, turning back to him.

"No. It's alright." He tears his eyes off of her, embarrassed.

"Why not? You totally could." He shakes his head and I think for a second. "I don't ever see you with girls like the other guys are. Is there a reason?"

"Not particularly. Relationships aren't a priority at this time in my life. I just don't feel the need to hook up with a bunch of different people just to fit in or get praise off of my friends, you know." He explains. "It's just not what I want right now." I smile. It's quite refreshing hearing what he's saying because not all guys would agree.

"Ah. Hang on a second." He stops me before I can say anything else, diving headfirst back underneath the water. He comes up, letting out a breath and holds his wet hand out to me. A pink scallop shell sits in his palm. It glistens when it catches the sun.

"Here." He offers it to me. "I'll trade you this for a haircut." I grin, picking it up and taking a closer look at it.

"It's so pretty. Thank you Sam."

**

Everyone gathers around as the idea of a game of beachball has been brought up. We stand in a bunch in front of Owen and Wesley who have nominated themselves as team captains. All the boys have taken their shirts off, every single one of them lean and toned.

"I'll go first." Owen clears his throat. "I would like Tom on my team." He kicks it off, in the most polite way. Thomas strides over to Owen and stands proudly at his side.

"Okay. I'll have Sam." Wesley points and they clasp hands. Owen scans the rest of the group while Thomas tries to not move his mouth while he's talking. Owen holds a finger up and says something back that I don't catch.

"Next, we'll have Charlie." Charlie grins and stamps through the sand.

"Isabelle." Wesley nods me over. "Come and join the winning team." I laugh as Thomas throws me a subtle defeated look. I stand beside Sam while the rest of the team gets picked.

A few of the guys set up a net along the beach and I stand at the side, ready to assist if they need me to.

"I wanted you on my team." Thomas speaks glumly, sidling up next to me.

"What? Scared you're going to lose now, Tommy?" I tease him with a smile.

"Are you trash talking me?" He narrows his eyes.

"Is it working?"

"Nope." He laughs. I walk backwards, getting into my space.

"You're going down, King." I point through the net.

"I'd like to see you try."

"Oh you will." I bend down a little, positioning myself into a competitive stance.

The game commences. The teams set out, one person taking a turn to sit out every round. We play well but not well enough to be winning. Thomas and Owen have a big advantage because of their height. Owen is the tallest out of everyone here, Thomas the second. All the boys manage to deflect the power shots despite them being incredibly hard and fast.

The sun has been getting lower, the evening gradually getting colder and colder. My hair is still damp from the seat. My bikini is wet and clinging to my body. As soon as we've finished this, I need to get changed before I start freezing.

Wesley starts a new round with the ball in his hands. He jumps up and hits it over the net. It takes a few passes before it comes over to my side of the court.

"I've got it!" I call, preparing myself to return the ball.

As I leap up, I get knocked onto the ground. I can't help but let out a yell as my body clatters down, sand spraying out from underneath me. Hitting the ground is a familiar feeling and it makes me feel sick to my stomach. The ball smacks the ground next to me.

I hear an array of laughter as I glance up to see Cassidy stood above me. Looking around, Charlie and Thomas are holding onto each other laughing, along with other all the other chuckles. My face burns with humiliation.

"I said I had it." I explain to Cassidy, flustered.

"Well you obviously didn't." She spits, snatching the ball into her hands.

"Yeah because you knocked me to the fucking ground." I return. Wesley bustles in, offering me a hand to help me up. I stand, brushing myself off.

"You good?" He questions and I nod. I'm not alright. I'm furious.

Everyone else jumps into conversation and I move myself beside Sam who is stood at the back. I angle myself away from everyone while they debate about who's turn it is to start with the ball.

"Are you alright?" He whispers, bumping my shoulder.

"Yeah, it's just fucking embarrassing." I wipe my forehead, feeling hot down my back I hear a replay of everyone laughing in my head. I manage to pick out Thomas' laughter among the others and it pisses me off more than it did the first time.

"You're good. Don't worry." He tries to give me a comforting smile.

"I might just sit out this game." I don't feel like playing anymore. I don't really feel like hanging out with everyone anymore. At this point I'd rather sit in the car and read, with the window down a little bit like I'm a dog.

"And give Cassidy the satisfaction? Come on, stand with me." He playfully links my arms and I smile sadly. We continue playing the round and try my hardest to I ignore the lump that's stuck in my throat.

**

The game swiftly comes to an end. I take myself away from the group, going into the public restrooms so I can get changed out of my bikini, into what I was wearing earlier. I won't lie. I'm still annoyed but I don't want to appear like a sore loser and spoil the rest of the night for everyone.

It's more frustrating about Thomas. He didn't want to be seen stood next to me when his friends arrived and then he laughed when I got shoved to the ground by the girl he made out with who also, for some unknown reason, hates me. I really don't want to let Cassidy control how I feel but I can't help it.

I stand in the line behind Paige and Wesley, waiting to get the pot of mint chocolate ice cream I've order from a little truck next to the parking lot. I sense a presence close behind me and a pair of big, warm hands softly land my shoulders.

"Hey, are you alright?" Thomas lowers his voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lie.

There's no point me getting into it now. I'm so irritated I can't help but feel like he wouldn't care even if I was honest. Deep down, I know that's not true.

Also, I'd hate nothing more than to ruin the fun of the night for anyone else. I smile at the server who passes me my pot of ice cream. Turning around, I start to head straight back down to the beach.

"Are you sure?" He stands in my way, blocking me. I look up at him, tilting my head. He seems genuinely concerned which is making all the anger stored inside of me go away.

"Yes. I'm sure." I answer, my voice is quiet and definitely not convincing.

"You know, when a girl says they're fine, it usually means they're not." He narrows his eyes.

"I'm good." I reiterate.

"Promise?" He holds his little finger out for me to take. I let out a light breathy laugh, shaking my head. I don't take his finger.

"Come on." I deflect. We head back down onto the beach, meeting Sam on the way who has got our cooler out of the back of his car.

Chairs have been set out in a circle around a little barbeque fire. Myself and Sam sit in two seats beside each other while Thomas takes the one across from us.

I often glance over to him through the fire, his tanned, toned chest looking even more bronzed because of the flickering golden haze casted over him. His jawline is sharpened but his eyes remain soft and kind. Sometimes he notices me and gives me a delicate smile.

Snacks and drinks are passed around. I quickly finish my ice cream before it melts by the fire. Owen offers everyone a skewer with a marsh mellow on the end to roast. I intently listen to the boys as they launch into several different funny stories of memories have all together.

Charlie could talk forever, there's never a silence when he's around. I don't ever have any input, I just contently listen, eat my marsh mellow and watch them keel over with laughter.

There's movement behind the flames of the fire. Cassidy's hands are draped on Thomas' shoulders and she's bent over behind him, whispering something close into his ear. From what I can see, he nods and they both stand up and start walking away.

The others notice but no one says anything. No one looks the slightest bit surprised either. He keeps his eyes trained away from everyone else, not daring to look in my direction.

I want to laugh I'm so annoyed.

I feel stupid. Just this morning he was talking about how much he wanted to kiss me and now he's going on stupid fucking walks along this stupid beach with some other stupid fucking girl.

I watch them for a while, they're blurred out by the heat waves from the top of the fire. I can feel Sam's eyes burning into the side of my head while mine burn through Thomas' thick idiot skull.

I watch until I can't see them anymore.

With the skewer still in my hand, I etch little drawings into the sand now too angry to listen and enjoy all the stories they were telling before. Sam edges his chair closer to me.

"You alright?" He questions.

"What do you think?" I return with a glum sigh.

"I'm guessing you're annoyed about Thomas and Cassidy?"

"Bingo." I reply unenthusiastically.

"Have you spoke to him about seeing other girls?" He keeps his voice very quiet to avoid being heard. Though Charlie is so loud, I don't see that being a problem.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Well, you've said you like each other but want to be friends, right?" I nod. "So has he got the green light to hook up with other girls? Are you going to get mad? Do you have the right to be mad if he does?" He proposes.

"I didn't even think about bringing it up." I answer, marking crosses through the sand.

"He wouldn't do anything in spite of you, but the guy has needs so..." He trails off into a short pause.

"Do you think he's going to hook up with Cassidy?" I question, hating to think of what the answer may be.

"If I'm honest, I don't know." I'm not exactly pleased with that answer.

"They've already gotten half way there." I recall the awful image of them in the bathroom. It makes me feel ill. "I do not like her."

"Who does?" He points out. Even her friends don't really like her.

"She has been trying to get in his pants forever." I sigh.

"Are you threatened?" I stop scribbling for a moment.

"I don't know. Should I be?" I look at him, gaging the look on his face for an honest answer. The dancing flames carve out his kind face.

"I don't think you have much to worry about." He nudges me. "I've seen the way he looks at you."

"He looks at a lot of girls, Sam." I return, sadly.

"Yeah, maybe." He shrugs. "But when he looks at you, he actually sees you."

I give him a short, soft smile, dropping my head onto his shoulder. He covers my hands with his own and I switch my focus back on the stories being told, the fire still blazing.

**

I lug the cooler box up the beach, following everyone through the cold night to the parking lot. I open the trunk, placing the box inside. We quickly all say goodbye to one another, everyone politely saying we should do this again some other time.

"You'll have to come over again." I say to Paige as we sway side to side in a hug.

"Yeah definitely. It was really nice." We let go and I wave goodbye to the other boys who lumber into Owen's car. Wesley gives Paige a quick peck before he ducks in the passenger seat. I look away, turning around to go back to Sam.

"Hey!" Thomas pops up beside me as I open the car door. I can only assume that he must've just got back from his romantic walk because no one has seen either of them since. He has a cheeky, happy grin on his face which only grinds my gears.

"Do you want me to join you in the back?" He leans closer to me, lowering his voice.

"No." I answer, a little too bluntly. "No it's okay!" I try to recover it. "Keep Sam company, I'm pretty tired." I plaster on a smile so I don't come off as annoyed but from the look on his face, it's already too late.

Silently, the three of us pack into the car. Soon enough, we hit the road. Sam fills the quiet with whatever it on the radio. My eyes grow heavier and heavier. Thomas starts talking about stuff I don't really understand, nor have interest in so I zone out. I watch the dark night outside flash past the window until sleep closes in.

**

I keep my eyes trained out of the window, watching as the car pulls to a stop in the parking lot outside the apartment building.

"I told you not to wear that fucking dress." Nate mutters, furiously. "You liked it when the waiter looked at you, didn't you?" He takes my chin in his rough fingers, yanking my head around to look at him. "You love the attention." His blue eyes are cold and menacing. This look is all too familiar. I know what's to come.

"You look like such a fucking whore." He lets me go, pushing my face back a little. Tears sting my eyes as I get myself out of the car, rushing off to the front doors. "Oh don't start crying now." His voice echoes through the street.

I race up the stairs, up to the apartment door already dreading what I know is bound to happen. My throat constricts like I'm being choked out by wire. My hands tremble as I get the key in the door. I hear his heavy footsteps after me. Just keep calm Isabelle.

Diving inside, he catches me, strangling me up against the door with both of his large hands.

"Aren't you sorry Bell?" He tilts his head at me, pressing harder and tighter around my throat. "I look like a fucking idiot because of you. Why do you have to embarrass me?"

"Nate please." I splutter. He sees red, smashing my head against the door.

"You – disgust me." He hisses. I struggle underneath him, my legs buckling. He throws my limp body to the floor and I cough, gasping for air. My cheeks are soaking wet with my streaming tears. My head is throbbing and I touch the back of it as if it will help the pain.

"I love you so much and you throw it all back in my face. You're doing this to us, Princess!" He bellows, his hands in fists.

"I'm sorry. Nate. Please. I'm sorry. I really am." I plead, leaning myself up with straightened arms.

Visibly, he relaxes and bends down over me. I flinch back as he affectionately strokes the side of my face, his finger tips cold against my wet skin. He cradles me up to my feet, steadying me before stepping back. I hold myself up, stabling myself on the small kitchen island. He leaves his thumb on my lips and looks sideways at me.

"Go to the bedroom." He instructs, his voice in a whisper.

"No, I-."

"No?" He cuts me off, digging his thumb into the crease of my chin.

"Please, Nate-." I beg, tears rolling down my hot face.

"Are you my girlfriend?" He asks. "Are. You. My. Girlfriend?"

"Yes." I step forward, clasping my hands together, desperate that he stops.

"Do you love me?"

"Yes of course."  I reply, breathless. He touches the side of my face, his hand curving around.

"Then go to the fucking bedroom." He spits.

"I don't want-." He yanks the hair at the back of my neck. My head cracks against the corner of the counter.

**

My body throws itself forward with a hellish scream that curdles from the back of my throat. Sam breaks heavily, flinging all of us forward. I'm caught by the seatbelt, letting out a hard gasp.

"Is, are you okay?"  Thomas whips around in his seat. I'm wheezing and choking like there's no oxygen left in the car.

"I- I." I feel like I'm suffocating, drowning and on fire all at the same time. Pressing my head back against the leather seats, I close my eyes, my whole body numb but shaking.

"Pull over." Thomas orders. Sam does as he says and as soon as we've safely stopped somewhere Thomas hurtles out of the car, opening the back door. I clamber out into Thomas' arms as he hugs me at the side of the road. The wind is cold on my boiling skin. My cheeks are wet against the dry material of his shirt.

"You're okay. I've got you." He strokes my hair. "It was just a dream." The ghost of the pain on my head lingers. I nestle my face into him, focusing on his deep, misty, rich scent, forcing myself to distinguish between what's real and what's not.

"Deep breaths. That's it." He comforts.

After a few minutes, I manage to calm down. I'm sat down on the side of the road, not caring that my shorts are probably covered in dirt. Sam passes me a water bottle that I shakily sip from.

"I'm sorry Sam." I apologize, looking up at him from the ground.

"Don't be sorry." He brushes it off.

"I could've caused an accident."

"No. The road is pretty empty at this time of night. You just gave me a bit of a fright, that's all." He gives me a kind smile.

They patiently wait with me until I'm ready to get back in the car. Thomas joins me in the back this time. He doesn't ask for my permission or whether I want him to. He just does it.

I'm so exhausted but I don't want to go back to sleep. It's the last thing I want to do right now despite having the world's biggest headache and feeling like I could be sick. Sam puts on some loud music to make sure we all stay awake.

Thomas laces his warm, soft fingers with mine. He holds my hand all the way back home.

****

- Frankie Kate

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 27 27
Hailey Martin has never been one to stick out in a crowd. She's always been perfectly happy to hang out in a corner, listening to her favourite playl...
66.7K 2.3K 40
Being 17 and one of the best lawyers in the country's daughter isn't easy, especially if you move to New York. She was determined to leave her past i...
4.6K 149 75
This is your typical girl meets boy story, that's not too typical. Isabelle Wilson moves to a completely new town that she has no interest in moving...
401K 12.1K 74
She loved him because she thought that he was perfect; then she realized he wasn't perfect, so she loved him even more. But what happens when a sudde...