Chapter 22 - Christmas Day

The Burrow was alive with Christmas cheer. Molly had kept us fed and our glasses topped up since we arrived at 1pm. The house was enriched with the scent of Turkey cooking and mince pies baking. It was crowded but cosy and I don't think I'd want to spend my Christmas any other way.

We gathered round the table for dinner and presents. Molly excitedly handed out her gifts for us all. She had knitted us scarves in our house colours with our initials carefully embroidered at each end. There was one present in the pile left unwrapped, it was Colin's. Bless her, every year Molly knitted him something like the rest of us and every year he never came. Everybody awkwardly eyed it for a moment without saying a word.

"That's alright," I said, picking up the present and putting it by my bag, "I'll give it to him next time I see him"

Fred gave me an approving nod of gratitude from across the table, for not letting his mother feel unappreciated for all the effort she went to. It was the first time he'd shown any sign of acknowledgement towards me, I could tell he wasn't taking this very well but he kept it together for our families' sake.

The meal was wonderful, we were all absolutely stuffed and giddy with the booze that had flowed throughout. Things began to ease as everyone wondered more freely around the house. Ginny and Ron were sat across from each other playing Wizard's Chess in the living room, while George and Fred watched, whisperings things into Ron's ear to try and throw him off. The parents remained round the dinner table, they had started on the bottle of Port and were reminiscing about old times.

I poured myself another drink in the kitchen, sipping down the bubbling nettle wine and letting it fizz over my tastebuds. Looking across the room, I wondered where to place myself, though everyone had been so kind on the journey back from Hogwarts and the day had felt somewhat like normal, there was a discomfort that nestled in my chest about sitting with Fred. I certainly couldn't join the adults, having no clue what they were talking about. So I decided to take myself off outside to collect my thoughts.

I slipped out of the door from the kitchen and the crisp evening air tickled my skin, sending goosebumps down my arms. I hated this time of year in England, it was already pitch black and fog hung over the tall grass that circled the house. It was always dark so early and it felt like Christmas Day had abruptly come to a close at only 5pm.

There is a rickety bench that sits just under one of the windows into The Burrow, but once you're seated nobody can see you, I thought this would be the perfect hiding spot to sober myself up and take in the evening. I had only be sat alone for around 10 minutes when the kitchen door creaked open again.

"Celeste?" I heard Fred whisper as he came out into the night.

"Round here!" I called and I watched as he circled round the house, with a jumper in hand.

"You came out without a jumper, I thought you might need this" he said quietly, handing me his favourite 'F' embroidered knit. I looked up at him in awe for a moment, but couldn't turn down his gesture, I was freezing. I pulled it over my dress and my body temperature immediately soared, I was unsure whether it was from the wool or the fact that I was completely encapsulated in his familiar smell.

"Thank you," I smiled, patting the empty seat next to me, "Will you sit with me?"

Fred didn't say a word but filled the place beside me. As though, the words were colliding in his mind, he continued to stay quiet for some time but looked deep in thought. I didn't want him to lose his train of thought so stayed silent too, watching his lovely face until he finally cleared this throat.

"Celeste, can I ask you something?" Fred asked, his voice slightly cracking at the end.

"Of course"

"About Malfoy... did he give you those marks?" Fred whispered, he brushed my hair aside gently from my neck to see that they had gone entirely and look at me bewildered.