Chapter 16 - Gryffindor Common Room

After furiously packing everything away, I slammed the door to the classroom behind me and sunk to the floor against the wood. I was devastated and exhausted with it all. My mind was becoming increasingly conflicted between the two of them and even my Amortentia confirmed that.

I wished that Draco had never laid eyes on me that day on the platform, that he had just continued to dismiss me like he had all those years before. I could have been happy with Fred, completely content with no distractions. Who knows, everything with him could have progressed so much further if I hadn't been holding myself back from guilt. Tears dripped from my dark lashes into my hands as I finally stopped restraining them.

Lost in my thoughts and my head buried deep within my hands, I hardly flinched when I heard loud singing boom from round the corner. As it got closer the voices sounded more and more familiar and I recognised the song as Irish chant that the fans of their national quidditch team sang at matches.

Fred and George appeared, sweaty and in full quidditch gear. They let out booming laughter as they realised I was there, but Fred's face quickly twisted in concern as he saw me sat on the floor with my tearstained cheeks.

"What's happened Celeste?" Fred asked coming over to help me up. He still had all of this quidditch guards on and it made kneeling down to my level quite difficult for him, but he managed to lift me to my feet.

"Nothing, I just had detention with Professor Snape" I mumbled.

"Those are the worst! Where is he? We'll go get him for you" George said, putting up his fists and throwing mock punches into the air. A giggle slipped from my lips and the tension in my shoulders eased. It felt good to laugh.

"Yeah! Double trouble" Fred laughed, holding out his Beater's bat and poised for attack.

"Thanks you two" I laughed, pushing away the tears that continued to trickle down my cheeks.

"George why don't you head back and I'll take Celeste for a walk" Fred suggested.

"Alright alright I know my cue to leave. I won't be there when you get back later, Angie's roommate has gone home for the weekend and I erm... might stay there tonight" George said, fiddling with his uniform so not to make eye contact with us.

"No worries, have fun mate" Fred assured him. George waved us off as he disappeared in the direction of the Gryffindor common room.

When George was out of sight, Fred practically lunged at me, wrapping me in a tight hug and holding my head against his body. I was reminded of how tall he was when my head barely reached his chest.

"I hate seeing you like this" Fred whispered, absentmindedly stroking my hair as he spoke. His quidditch gear was starting to dig in to me and I had to pull myself away.

"Sorry" he laughed, "look, I have an idea that will take your mind off things but it's going to take some great acting skills to pull it off, okay?"

"Okay" I giggled, "what is it?"

He took his duffle bag off his shoulder and pulled out a Gryffindor jumper.

"No way" I said shaking my head, "I'm not putting that thing on"

"Well you're going to have to if you want to come with me" he shrugged. I reluctantly held up my arms and let him slip the jumper over my head. It completely drowned me and was certainly too big but I couldn't help but love being enveloped in his scent.

"Ah that's definitely your colour" Fred jeered. He slung his bag back over his shoulder and held out his hand for me to take. I felt hesitant to hold his hand around the corridors but it was so late I doubted anybody would see.