Chapter 45 - Fiendfyre

Molly was so pleased that the twins had found a house she insisted we all stay the night before we were set to embark on the Hogwarts Express and return from the Christmas holiday. Even my mother and father had agreed to join us, so the three bedroom house would be teeming with people.

I was still yet to see this inside, Fred and George had kept the house under wraps for a week or so, nobody had been allowed to visit. Me and Daphne had worked in the shop while they'd spent days inside the place. At around 7pm every evening they'd arrive back sweaty and covered in paint to help close the shop.

But it was finally here, I'd get to see the house for the first time. It was bittersweet, because I'd been so looking forward to it, but it meant I would be leaving again for another long term at school without Fred.

It was a Saturday, close to closing and we waited with bated breath for the twins to arrive so we could finish for the day.

"Are you staying tonight?" I asked Daphne, as I lined Skiving Snackboxes along a shelf.

"No no, I thought there might be too many of you already, but I'm going to come and have a look around" she beamed, reorganising the display of silent fireworks.

Suddenly the bell on the door chimed and the twins approached quickly to greet us. They weren't quite so messy today, telling us they'd only had finishing touches to see to.

"Come on then!" Fred grinned, taking ahold of my hand.

They walked us down the cobbled street towards the house, that now shon brightly against the dark shops that stood beside it. It still leaned a little to the right but nowhere near as much as it had the first time we'd seen it and the roof was now restored, standing proudly overhead.

The rest of the Weasleys waited outside, Molly and Arthur, along with Ron and Ginny. They were chatting excitedly and pointing out the features of the house to each other.

"It looks excellent from the outside boys!" Arthur called, giving his sons each a pat on the back.

"Go on let us in!" Molly squealed. Her face was glowing and she couldn't have been more thrilled for them.

Fred gave a flick of his wand and the door creaked open, warm light seeped out of the gap and everybody rushed at once to go inside. I stood in awe looking at what stood in front of me. It felt bigger on the inside than it seemed from the outside but it was still cosy, just like the Burrow. An open planned kitchen, dinning and living area spread the expanse of the house, with everything in warm burgundy's and dark wood.

It was lovely to see the living area but the room I was most excited for was Fred's bedroom. I couldn't wait to see what he'd done with it. Once I'd taken it all in I crept past the group to the stairs, bolting up before anybody noticed, but I quickly heard footsteps thudding up behind me.

"Where do you think you're going?" Fred chuckled, meeting me on the landing.

"Which ones yours?" I asked, not answering his question and pointing along the row of doors.

"On the end" he grinned.

At a run, I flung open the door so see a room, with its walls painted a surprising shade of deep navy. The bed stood in the centre with tables either side, a small desk that was already piled with parchment I assumed to be shop paperwork already and a chest of drawers tucked away in the corner. There wasn't much decor yet, but I supposed they'd only just moved in. My eye caught something that made a movement on top of the dresser.

I walked over and picked up the small wooden frame, what had caught my eye was the moving photo inside. It was a photo of us from the first day the shop opened. We were both stood beside the counter, looking unaware that we were being photographed, but Fred had just made me laugh, the tiny image of me leant into him as we chuckled together and he wrapped an arm around my shoulder to steady me. I was in shock, I'd never seen it before.