Chapter 29 - Cauldron Cupboard

By Sunday midday we were back at Hogwarts. Everybody had gone to bed shortly after Fred had come to. The antidote had worked but he was drowsy and couldn't remember anything that had happened. Fearing something might go wrong, I couldn't leave his side so I stayed until he slipped into a deep sleep on the sofa.

Though I knew that Alicia's love potion had been the reason behind their kiss, the image of them intertwined on that sofa replayed in my mind and sent my blood boiling all over again. Her hands weaved through his soft red hair and the noises that crept from his mouth, noises that I only wanted him to make for me. The other's had to tell Fred what he'd done because I couldn't bring myself to recount it and he remained quiet while we gathered our things to go home.

I wasn't angry with him, how could I be? He wasn't to blame, he was the victim in all this. I knew deep down he wasn't taking this well at all. Though we were usually quite restrained in front of his family, he was withholding his affection for me more than ever.

My patience with Alicia was wearing thin. She found a way to ruin a weekend and completely abuse her power to take advantage of another person. I didn't know how he could have ever been with someone like that before. My nerves were on edge about me and Fred, he'd made it clear he was feeling the same.

When we returned home I knew I couldn't sit in our dorm and wallow, so we placed ourselves on the sofa in the common room and I threw myself into studying. We sat side by side in silence next to the roaring fire. I knew Daphne could feel my discomfort but I was just grateful that she didn't try to make me dwell on it until I was ready. It was comforting just to know that she was there.

I'd let my mind wonder and I was entranced, staring as the bewitched emerald flames danced across the coals in the fireplace, in a world of my own thinking about the weekend's events, until I heard a smug voice call, "Nice weekend away?"

I watched as he sauntered down into the common room. He brushed a large pale hand through his icy hair and I couldn't help but take him in, wearing a dark turtleneck beneath another black suit. So pretentious, I thought to myself, but he certainly knew what flattered his frame.

"Yes" I said through gritted teeth, breaking my gaze from his physique to bury my head back into my textbook.

"Back so soon though I see?" Draco said, a lordly smirk spread across his face. He took a place on the sofa opposite and sat in the usual cavalier way he did with his legs crossed over, one outstretched across his knee.

"What of it?" I asked lowly, unable to stop myself from looking up at him.

"Somebody's grumpy, bad night's sleep at the shack? Or was it a hole in the ground?" Draco chuckled to himself, taking out a book to read.

My foul mood soured further in his presence and I was in no place to put up with him today. I snapped my book shut and got to my feet.

"I'm going upstairs" I announced, in Daphne's general direction. She understood this wasn't the time to follow me and lowered her head back into her book.

I breezed through the common room, never looking back in their direction until I got to our corridor, when I heard sound of his brogues knock against the stone slabs as he followed me. I was tired of this game, didn't he understand when I wanted to be left alone?

"Piss off, Draco" I snarled, turning on my heel to look at him. I suddenly realised how secluded the girls' hallway was and that he would be capable of anything without someone seeing. I stiffened, as my mind cast back to all the many things he'd do to me when we'd been alone like this before.

"I'd watch how you speak to me" Draco grimaced, moving deathly close to me, "Before you know it you'll have ruined your chances"

"Chances of what?" I sighed, looking him up and down disapprovingly.