Chapter 3 - The Balcony

The train pulled into the station and we all filed off with our luggage. I was feeling more exhausted than normal after the journey. I had been so on edge around Fred, I hadn't been able to settle myself or even fall asleep like I usually did, because god forbid I start talking in my sleep.

As we got to school it was time for me to part ways with my friends and find my fellow housemates. It was always hard to say goodbye and a small part of me wished I had been placed in Gryffindor whenever I had to leave them, but I knew that the sorting hat always had it's reasons.

"See you in the great hall!" Ginny said pulling me in for a hug, as the boys then followed suit wishing me their goodbyes. Fred lingered slightly as he hugged me, taking longer than any of the others had. I felt my cheeks turn a burning red and frantically looked to see if they had noticed, but luckily they had already begun making their way to the Gryffindor common room so hadn't paid any attention to it.

"See you later Reading" he said with a smirk as he pulled away from me and chased after his siblings. He snuck in one last glance before disappearing round a winding hall.

I stood on my own, collecting my thoughts for a moment before a bag collided with my back.

"Missed you!" shouted a familiar voice from the direction of the bag that had just been swung at me.

"Ouch Daphne, what a way to show it!" I moaned, spinning around to greet the fair haired witch.

"So how was your summer with those lovely Weasley twins" Daphne giggled, as she linked arms with me and guided me down to the Dungeons.

I hadn't written to Daphne over the summer about anything that happened, in fear that somehow the owl would end up going to the wrong person. I had wanted this all to stay a secret for as long as possible until I could share it with her person.

"Well I have a lot to tell you" I began, as Daphne practically gasped with excitement.

Flashback - 1 Week prior at The Reading Residence

Our house, though not far from The Weasleys, was completely different.

A respectably sized townhouse with grounds and 4 bedrooms, enough for my parents, myself, my brother who was never there and a guest room.

The dining room was the grandest room of the house. When my parents bought it prior to having children, their dinner parties were famous. "The good old days with longs nights full of food, drink and great conversation" my mother had always described them as.

Nowadays these nights were few and far between but we always had The Weasleys round for dinner whenever possible. Tonight my parents had planned to have the whole family over.

As my parents prepared everything downstairs, I got myself ready in my room. After last week's game of Ring of Fire, I felt I had something to prove. I had not drunk on a single round of Never Have I Ever which resulted in boos and "BORING"s from everyone around the table.

I didn't let it hurt my pride, I knew I had never really put myself out there in that way and with my new found sense of confidence I wanted to make the effort.

Putting on my favourite tiered, black dress and adding subtle makeup over my summer glow, I felt pleased with myself for the first time in a while as I looked in the mirror.

The doorbell chimed and an instantaneous "They're here!" could be heard from my mother in the kitchen. I came out of my room, lingering over the top of the banisters to get a good view of the family entering.

My eyes locked on to Fred's as soon as he came through the doorway following his twin and a smile cracked across his face.

"There she is!" He shouted up to me and gestured for me to come down. This made 5 more pairs of eyes turn to look at me and the family joined in calling me to come down.